Start by marking “Red Leaves” as Want to Read:
Red Leaves

Red Leaves

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  4,015 Ratings  ·  244 Reviews
On a New England college campus, the naked body of a beautiful student is found frozen in a bank of snow. Why had she not even been reported missing by her friends?

Spencer O'Malley, the police detective assigned to the case, is soon drawn into the strange world of four friends, Jim, Conni, Albert and Kristina. O'Malley finds that these children of privilege who played, stu
Published May 1st 1998 by Flamingo (first published September 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Red Leaves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Leaves

karen
some books should remain out of print,left to molder and rot without curious readers tracking them down and disturbing the wisdom of nature. even ones that have saucy insets like this:

photo DSC03690_zpsf214b487.jpg

scandalous!

if you had told me that this book was written by an alien from the planet glorp with no familiarity with human behavior, i would have no trouble believing it.

if you told me this was a nanowrimo book, written in one month, without proofreading or author-sleep, i would understand.

if this were the work of
Chrissa Vasileiou
Το συγκεκριμένο βιβλίο αστυνομικό-αστυνομικό μυθιστόρημα δεν το λες. Μυθιστόρημα με μια κάποια ελαφριά δόση ίντριγκας, πάλι, ναι το λες. Αξίζει να το διαβάσει κανείς, αλλά αν περιμένει έντονη δράση και συνεχόμενες ανατροπές, θα απογοητευτεί και θα βαρεθεί.
Οπωσδήποτε θέλει τον χρόνο του. Είναι ΠΟΛΥ αργό. Περνάνε περίπου οι 200 πρώτες σελίδες για να γίνει ο φόνος. Και ακολουθούν τόσες κι άλλες τόσες, μέχρι να αποκαλυφθούν τα πάντα. Όλα φαίνονται να κυλούν σε αργούς, ράθυμους ρυθμούς, λες και κανε
Karen
Jun 27, 2008 rated it did not like it
I have never been so pissed off by the ending of a book!
Lindsay Heller
I don't know what to say about this book. I even had a hard time deciding how many star to grant it. It wasn't good, not really at all. There were parts that were cringe-worthy. But, it had its moments and it was sort of a page turner.

'Red Leaves' is the story of two people at heart; Kristina Kim and Spencer O'Malley. Kristina is on the verge of twenty-one, she's a philosophy major at Dartmouth and shows plenty of promise for the future. Except, she's kind of a completely idiot (more later). Sh
Marjorie
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: edelweiss
I really had a difficult time getting through this book. The reason I chose it was that it was compared to Donna Tartt’s “The Secret History”. There is no comparison other than the fact that the book involves a group of college friends. There were several times when I wished I could just DNR this book but since I received a free copy from the publisher, I felt obligated to read the whole book in order to review it. Apparently, this book was published by St. Martin’s in 1996 but has been out of p ...more
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
I couldn't get past the 50% mark with the unlikable characters, choppy narrative, and slow moving storyline. If you are expecting something similar in writing or appeal as her later series-The Bronze Horseman-you'll be disappointed.
**Sognatrice di libri**
Dalla Simons mi aspettavo decisamente qualcosa di diverso.
Il libro nel complesso è una lettura scorrevole ma decisamente non qualcosa di memorabile anzi tutt'altro.
La storia è poco coinvolgente e avvincente per essere un libro di questo tipo, poteva decisamente essere gestito meglio.
In conclusione la Simons con questo libro mi ha lasciato decisamente con l'amaro in bocca mi aspettavo qualcosa di meglio.
Marleen
Nov 29, 2008 rated it it was ok
I would not have finished this book if it wasn't for Spencer's character. He's the reason I kept on reading. The Dartmouth students were probably too young for me to appreciate.
Sashi
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved the book. The elegant style it was written in with minimal words made it thoroughly enjoyable. Loved the story and the suspense. To me it was a perfect story.
Luanne Ollivier
2.5 I was intrigued by the description of Red Leaves by Paullina Simons...

"In the tradition of Ira Levin’s A Kiss Before Dying and Donna Tartt’s The Secret History comes a suspenseful thriller from the international bestselling author of The Bronze Horseman—an utterly captivating story about four Ivy League students whose bizarre friendship leads to a twisted maze of secrets, lies, betrayal, and murder."

Sounds good right? Kristina is a star basketball player for Dartmouth. We meet her and her fo
☠tsukino☠
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Yukino
Natalie
Aug 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: ANYONE who enjoys a good mystery
LemonLinda
Jul 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had previously read another Paullina Simon book and loved it - The Bronze Horseman. This book, however, was not at all similar to that book. It is a murder mystery set on the campus of Dartmouth College over the Thanksgiving holidays in the early 1980s. It started out quite slowly for me. In fact I was somewhat bored and thought it would have to improve to get 3 stars from me.

Well, improve it certainly did. In no way is this murder mystery predictable as so many are. Immediately you know who
Nicki
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is one of the worst books I have read in a long time. The first half of the book is the 'background' of the four intertwined characters. It is a long drawn out section to establish this background and then you kill one of the main characters off? I felt I had just waisted 155 pages of descriptive, ground laying text - groan. I should have stopped there.

Things did get slightly better with the introduction of Spencer the detective investigating the murder. Though he was very unprofessional on
LENA TRAK
The 1st part of the book was quite boring and slow moving... I enjoyed the 2nd part. Quite a catchy story based on a good premise and there were a few really nice twists towards the ending. However I would have liked a clearer explanation in the end. It's supposed to be a murder mystery after all. It should provide a clear explanation after all the guessing.
Raf
Aug 17, 2009 rated it did not like it
Load of incestious shit! The backwards/forwards dialogue especially at the beginning would be good enough to drive people to violence against the author. Worth recycling for toilet paper.
Anastasia
Nov 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Δεν κατάφερα να φτάσω στο τέλος όσο και αν προσπάθησα... Γεμάτο κλισέ και στερεοτυπικές αντιλήψεις, κουράζει πολύ και υποτιμά τον αναγνώστη.
CrazyForRomance
Ho esordito dicendo che nulla è come sembra, e davvero niente lo è.
Già dalle prime pagine si percepisce che qualcosa non va: Kristina è troppo concentrata, troppo attenta, troppo calcolata per essere la ragazza semplice che vuol far credere. Conni è un'amica troppo poco attenta e troppo poco presente per essere una vera migliore amica, Albert è al contrario troppo attento e troppo presente con Kristina per essere il ragazzo di Conni. Jim dal canto suo è invece troppo assente per essere il ragazz
Dream⭐
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un romanzo che ti fa capire che la morte sta dietro l’angolo, che non ti puoi fidare nemmeno di te stessa, e che la giustizia fa pena!
La Simons descrive i dettagli in una maniera stupenda come se tu sei realmente li oppure l’hai regalmente visto... una storia toccante, mi ha rapita dalle prime pagine.
Ho trovato la trama avvincente ma sono rimasta delusa dal finale 🤨 io speravo nella giustizia e di sapere nel dettaglio come è accaduto invece ho trovato solo una cosa sbrigativa.
Il caro Detective
Cora
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Purtroppo nemmeno questo libro della Simons mi è piaciuto. Le sarò per sempre grata per aver creato la storia de Il cavaliere d'inverno e due personaggi fantastici come Tatiana e Alexander ma credo che rinuncerò a leggere altro di suo.

Le prime 160 pagine sono brutte, ma proprio BRUTTE, tanto che ero quasi tentata a mollare la lettura e sbarazzarmi del libro; non sopportavo i protagonisti, i loro comportamenti e modi di fare. Secondo me, questa prima parte è anche scritta male perchè ci sono scen
Blair
In news that will surprise no-one, I bought this because I read several reviews likening it to The Secret History. Yet again I've fallen victim to lazy comparisons: the books are alike only in that they both deal with the murder of a student at an Ivy League university (and there's the - admittedly very similar - detail that the body isn't discovered until a heavy snowfall has thawed). The writing couldn't be more different. This, along with Little Face, is one of the most odd and baffling books ...more
Kurt Keefner
Feb 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
I give up. This novel makes no sense. We're supposed to believe this quartet of college students is tight-knit, yet two of them do despicable things to the other two. I hate them.

Further, to give away one detail from very close to the beginning, the future murder victim, is married to the Korean family lawyer, who promised her dying parent he'd take care of her. Take care of her by marrying her when she was, what, 16?! Credulity strains, creaks and finally, snaps.

I did like the cop a bit, but a
Heather
Jul 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Wow, what a complex mind/imagination Paullina Simons has. This is the story of 4 friends Kristina, Albert, Connie and Jim and one police officer Stanley and how there lives intertwine over some seriously mixed up and messed up relationships. The murder of one of the characters (Kristina) sets in motions the exploration as to the truth behind both the murder and the relationships – truly a tangled web that is woven and not revealed until the very end.
The first half of the book prior to the murder
Rachel Zylstra
Aug 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Did I really love this book, or is it just because I love Paullina Simons so much that I decide I love her books before I've even read them?

No - I loved this book! What a great story! I loved it because usually with these kinds of books I find I can predict the outcome very easily, but I found myself to be wrong everytime I predicted something and the ending was so different from what I expected! But no less amazing.

You just kind of get thrown into the lives of these four college kids, wonderin
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Overall, this is an okay book with a good plot but it has a very slow start and you have to wait till page 150 for something to actually happen... The middle section is pretty good but the end is pretty much unrealistic. As far as the characters are concerned, I didn't find them likeable at all but that was probably intentional on the author's part.
Πάνος Τουρλής
Ένα πρωτότυπο βιβλίο μυστηρίου. Υπόθεση και πλοκή πρωτότυπη. Η αλήθεια είναι ότι το πρώτο μέρος κουράζει αλλά στο δεύτερο η πλοκή ανεβαίνει και εντείνεται ως το τραγικό, απίστευτο μυστικό της πρωταγωνίστριας. Προβληματισμός και μια λύση του δράματος "πέραν του κόσμου τούτου". Δεν κοιμήθηκα ώσπου να το τελειώσω.
AK Mama Reads
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With gems like this, it's easy to see why readers love Simons so much:

"College was the great suppressor, the warm blanket that covered them all and made them safe. How could you not fall in love in college?"

As soon as I thought I had everything figured out, she pulled the rug out from under me. I love a book that keeps me guessing, thus reading, til the end or close to it! I haven't read her other work, but judging by the subject alone I'd say this is rather different from some of her previous n
Naike Ror
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gigantesca Paullina Simons. Questo non è un romance anche se vi spezzerà il cuore, non è una storia facile, anche se la leggerete tutto ad un fiato. Atmosfere poco definite, oscure, fatte di sguardi, tradimenti e frasi sussurrate, circonda la vita di due coppie di amici al college. La protagonista è una superba giocatrice di basket, dal talento indiscusso, con un fidanzato gelido e un amante, il ragazzo della sua migliore amica, profondamente ambiguo. Un incontro fortuito con un agente di Polizi ...more
Giuls
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Questo romanzo mi ha piacevolmente stupita.
Non avevo delle aspettative altissime, dopo i commenti che avevo letto in rete. E dell’autrice ho amato i primi due libri della serie del Cavaliere d’Inverno, il terzo libro mi ha lasciato indifferente, mentre “Una valigia piena di sogni” l’ho proprio odiato.

Per quel che riguarda questo romanzo, invece, non posso che non apprezzare il ritmo incalzante, il bisogno quasi incessante di capire e scoprire cosa fosse successo. L’immensa difficoltà che si prov
  • The Night Climbers
  • Angel Rock
  • Wild Lavender
  • No Bones
  • Growing Up Twice
  • Perfect Skin
  • Midnight Cactus
  • Cold Blood (Lorraine Page, #2)
  • The River
  • Four Fires
  • As Darkness Falls (Dungirri, #1)
  • Split (Makedde Vanderwall, #2)
  • Tatty
  • What Becomes of the Broken Hearted? (Once Were Warriors, #2)
  • Bitter Chocolate
  • White
  • Their Finest Hour and a Half
Paullina Simons was born in Leningrad, USSR, in 1963. At the age of ten her family immigrated to the United States. Growing up in Russia Paullina dreamt of someday becoming a writer. Her dream was put on hold as she learned English and overcame the shock of a new culture.

After graduating from university and after various jobs including working as a financial journalist and as a translator Paullin
“Though outwardly Kristina maintained that a clean room was a symptom of a diseased mind (for how could she, while studying the world's greatest thinkers, be bothered with such mundane earthly issues as cleaning?), inwardly she hated untidyness and made a point of spending as little time in the room as possible.” 7 likes