Start by marking “The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)

The Shadow Rising

(The Wheel of Time #4)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  180,985 ratings  ·  3,873 reviews
The seals of Shayol Ghul are weak now, and the Dark One reaches out. The Shadow is rising to cover humankind.

In Tar Valon, Min sees portents of hideous doom. Will the White Tower itself be broken?

In the Two Rivers, the Whitecloaks ride in pursuit of a man with golden eyes, and in pursuit of the Dragon Reborn.

In Cantorin, among the Sea Folk, High Lady Suroth plans the retur
Audio CD, 43 pages
Published November 1st 2004 by Macmillan Audio (first published September 15th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Rising, please sign up.
Patrick Stevens Min also played a role in the first chapters of the Dragon Reborn, and she was also together with Elayne, Nynaeve and Egwene during the whole Seanchan…moreMin also played a role in the first chapters of the Dragon Reborn, and she was also together with Elayne, Nynaeve and Egwene during the whole Seanchan affair in "the great hunt".(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Yuss Le'Fay You just spoiled me about Nynaeve...

·  180,985 ratings  ·  3,873 reviews

Start your review of The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
Petrik
May 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I give up. Here’s where I say goodbye to The Wheel of Time.

The Shadow Rising is the fourth book in The Wheel of Time series, it’s been claimed by many fans of the series that installment is one of the better books—some even said it’s THE best–written by Robert Jordan before Brandon Sanderson takes over. I personally found this book to be the worst in the series so far.

Just like the extremely repetitive nature of the series, the only way I can explain why I found myself incredibly disappointed is
Sean Barrs
The best thing about reading this series is the constant reminder of how long it is. As I read this I frequently looked up at my Wheel of Time shelf, at the nine books I have yet to read in the series, which serve as a reminder that I’ve barely scratched the surface of this totally epic fantasy world. I have so much left to see.

And this really did get epic this time round. Rand decided to go and visit the vast Aiel waste and through the process discovered much about himself. I’ve criticised his
Em Lost In Books
“If you plan for the worst, all surprises are pleasant.”

fourth book in WoT and I learned few things from last three book, 1) pack your bags to embark on a journey as one set of the character or the other is always on the move, and we hit the jackpot here with everyone on a journey of their own, 2) close your eyes if you don't want them in your brain because the girls would make you eye-roll in every time you meet them, 3) be ready for the dragging middle chapters. And if you somehow still en
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

NOTICE: this reread is in preparation for finally biting the bullet and reading book 14. That means I HAVE NOT read book 14 yet. Please be mindful of this in the comments, both for me and for others who may or may not have progressed past this point in the series. Thank you.

I'd forgotten how much happens in this book . . . Holy WOW.

This is the first (but not the last) book that begins with a several seemingly non-related POVs, and as impatient as I always am to "
Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

In The Shadow Rising, things start to slow down. In fact, it often feel like the reading of the story must take longer than it took for the events to actually occur.

Part of the problem is that Mr Jordan tells us nearly everything except when the characters make a bowel movement. Also, he regularly launches into pre-set spiels in which he re-describes something or someone who we've encountered numerous times before or re-explains something we've be
Nicole
Nov 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, fantasy
I read the eye of the world in 2016. I loved it.
I read the Great Hunt in Sept 2019. loved it.
I read the Dragon Reborn in Aug 2020. I loved it.

In each case: the first month afterward, I’m so excited to read the sequel. Yet, the more I waited, the more difficult it was to read it. The first few chapters weren’t the easiest to get through. But once I did, I couldn’t stop reading.

Only this time, I just waited 3 months to read the sequel. And I was so sure Shadow Rising is going to become an instant
Evgeny
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Before I start my review, there is something I really need to get off my chest. GAWYN TRAKAND IS A COMPLETE IDIOT WHO HAS A DUBIOUS DISTINCTION OF BEING THE MOST IDIOTIC GOOD GUY IN THE HISTORY OF FANTASY, OR LITERATURE IN GENERAL. Sorry, I had to do it; now back to the review.

It is hard to say anything about the fourth book in a series without giving huge spoilers. I will just give my thoughts about the major characters, their development, and plot-lines.

Mat slowly becomes the most interesting
Matthew
Feb 28, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, library, 2021, fantasy
I dunno – The Wheel of Time may be just too much for me!

I have been aware of this series since about the mid-90s and have heard many of my friends talk about it. I even have a friend who really isn’t into reading but read the whole thing. I figured if someone who is generally a non-reader really got into it, it should be perfect for a voracious reader like me. So, I finally started the series a few years ago.

Now, after 4 books, my feelings have pretty much stayed the same on it for each book. Lo
Markus
“The Shadow shall rise across the world, and darken every land, even to the smallest corner, and there shall be neither Light nor safety. And he who shall be born of the Dawn, born of the Maiden, according to Prophecy, he shall stretch forth his hands to catch the Shadow, and the world shall scream in the pain of salvation. All Glory be to the Creator, and to the Light, and to he who shall be born again. May the Light save us from him.

The People of the Dragon hold the Stone of Tear, and mighty C
Dana Ilie
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Shadow Rising did everything right when it comes to continuing a series by continuing to flush out the characters and their relationships in addition to moving the plot forward. There was a well done balance between character and plot development which moved the overall story arc along in a way that remained engaging and exciting for the reader.

Even with all this action the question whether The Shadow Rising is too long remains. I don’t really think so, or not by much anyway. Jordan manages
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4), Robert Jordan

The Shadow Rising is a fantasy novel by American author Robert Jordan, the fourth book in his series The Wheel of Time. It was published by Tor Books and released on September 15, 1992.

Rand al'Thor has just claimed the crystal sword Callandor to prove himself the Dragon Reborn. He is approached by Lanfear, who tells him of the Forsaken's plans.

However, the fortress known as the Stone of Tear is stormed by Trollocs and Fades, sent by another F
Choko
*** 5 ***

A push to catch up with the BB&B read of the full series by August!

WOW!!! What an amazing book!!! Everything that happens here could fill ten regular books and make all of them burst with content! Once again, only superlatives come to me when writing about this series and objective review is impossible... Thus, I am only going to note that Rand is making strides toward establishing himself as The Dragon Reborn and havoc follows wherever any of our three Tav'eren step foot. The five ki
Robin (Bridge Four)
I'm buddy reading this entire series a book a month with the great fantasy loving peeps at Buddies Books and Baubles

The great thing about that is that I know I have so many great people to discuss all the happenings in this book with. The bad part is that after taking a month to read a single book a few chapters at a time it feels like some of it happened so long ago and perhaps an entire season on one of your favorite shows has gone by and how do you sum that up without a review that is ten pa
Liam Degnan
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Epic Fantasy Fans
Shelves: fantasy
“The Shadow shall rise across the world, and darken every land, even to the smallest corner, and there shall be neither Light nor safety. And he who shall be born of the Dawn, born of the Maiden, according to Prophecy, he shall stretch forth his hands to catch the Shadow, and the world shall scream in the pain of salvation."

4.5 Stars: ✰✰✰✰½

In terms of overall content, this was the best book so far. Book Four of the Wheel of Time continued in the same vein as The Great Hunt, makin
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
I'll write a full review when I have time (not to mention finally getting around to writing proper reviews for the last two books), but for now, here were some random thoughts I had after finishing "The Shadow Rising":

- Fourth book in the series, and this was my favorite one yet!

- Loved that we learned so much more about the Aiel culture in this one. More Aiel = more awesome!

- Jordan really raised the emotional impact this time around. Just that tender moment alone when Rand was so exhausted
Tina Haigler
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend."

Really, what can I say that hasn't already been said? This is the best high fantasy series I've ever read, hands down. So much so that I am reading it all the way through for a second time. I am not a re-reader of anything, but it's 2020 so anything goes. I know it's massive, but it's worth all the time spent, every second. Plus, honestly, with books this big and a series this long, you've forgotten the beginn
Hasham Rasool
"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again.

What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow."

I absolutely love this book Alhamdulillah!

I feel so great to come back read 'The Wheel of Time'.

I love the relationship between Perrin and Falie. I am curious about Aiel culture.

'The Wheel of Time' is definitely one of my favourite book series!
Melina
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Until this book, I really enjoyed this series. But at #4, it starts to take a harried, complicated turn and I started losing interest in the characters because so few of them act realistically at all as far as emotions go. And the attitudes toward female characters finally wore thin. At least in George RR Martin's books, even though the women were treated like crap, raped, beaten, etc, they still maintain dignity, bravery, and are overall very well-developed characters. Almost all of the females ...more
Valliya Rennell
**Although this is a spoiler-free review (spoilers are hidden), there may be spoilers for previous books (scroll down)**

This time I am keeping the spoiler-free section fairly small because there is so much I want to talk about. After the ending of The Dragon Reborn, the squads split up on many missions: Elayne, Nynaeve, Thom, and Juilin go to Tanchico in pursuit of the Black Ajah; Rand, Egwene, Moiraine, Lan, and Mat journey with the Aiel to the Three Fold Land for various reasons; Per
Mayim de Vries
Nov 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Humankind is made for uncertainty, struggle, choice and change.”

What a book. What a book, and what a series! A total masterpiece of outlining, multi-threading, plotting, suspense, and adventure. Fiery, baroque, and magnificent pages upon pages of condensed, incredibly intricate writing, saturated with an orgy of ideas, meticulousness of characterisation, and precision of the plot.

And these ideas, and these delicious plot twists, these intrigues and schemes. If you think you know what to expect,
Claudia
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“And when the blood was sprinkled on ground where nothing could grow, the Children of the Dragon did spring up, the People of the Dragon, armed to dance with death. And he did call them forth from the wasted lands, and they did shake the world with battle.”

A lot of things are revealed in this 4th instalment: Rand goes to Rhuidean and learns the history of the Aiel and his own, Mat, despite his shallow behavior, becomes a very complex character but little of that is shown here, Perrin and Loial t
Constantine
Rating: Very Good

Genre: Fantasy

This might be an unpopular opinion, but The Shadow Rising is my least favorite book among the first four books in the series. This book is a favorite of the fans. It is still a great book but it did not surpass what the first three were. I feel somehow it gets more complicated without having a main focus. In the previous books, there was the main mission and there were side missions. The side missions or quests were as important and significant as the main one. In
Choko
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*** 5 ***

"...“Do not try to stop us,” Sulwin cautioned. Adan made his fist loosen again. “You are not Aiel,” he said. “You betray everything. Whatever you are, you are no longer Aiel!” “We keep the Way of the Leaf as well as you, Adan.” “Go!” Adan shouted. “Go! You are not Aiel! You are lost! Lost! I do not want to look at you! Go!”..."

This is my second time reading this book, and it is interesting the things you notice every time are slightly different than the other... To me, apart from the ep
Zitong Ren
This was such a fantastic book and Jordan writes such great fantasy, and despite some flaws, I still really loved it. It is a massive book which so much in it, with multiple storylines and several major POV’s, that even though it is slow, the plot does actually progress a surprising amount. It’s been interesting rereading these books, as I sort of have forgotten how much actually does happen in these earlier books, that many of these events I didn’t actually think happen until later on in the se ...more
SAM
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, wheel-of-time
At 393,000 words this is the biggest chapter in the grandiosely epic Wheel of Time. I consider books 1-3 an introduction into the fantasy world Robert Jordan created. The history of the world and its environs are slowly revealed to the reader to increase the familiarity of the various cultures, feuds, politics and who’s sided with who. Everybody is searching for purpose and spends the majority of the first three parts running toward something but ultimately aren’t sure where it lies. In The Shad ...more
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
At this point it already feels like there is not much left to say but to pay homage every time to this incredible series.

This one is a real mover/shaker with all-around interesting POV’s, an abundance of important events unfolding and very exciting worldbuilding taking place. It starts off with a sprint out of the blocks and never really lets up much until the finale. Just WOW.

SPOILERS

Highlights include: (view spoiler)
Matt Brady
Part 5 - Shaido or Shaidon’t, There Is No Try

This is a reread of the entire Wheel of Time so spoilers ahead for the whole series.

Now we are getting somewhere. This is the book where Wheel of Time really starts to take shape and become the series I remember. Thousands of characters! Hundreds of prophecies, visions, and hints! Dozens of storylines! And a subtle but noticeable shift in focus. After being largely absent in Dragon Reborn, Rand returns to find he must now share the stage as Main Prota
Nimrod Daniel
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I got back to this series after 2 and a half years away, so I had to go over summaries of the first 3 books, I must admit that everything came back to me really fast.
Getting back to WoT feels great, just like meeting so many good friends - Rand, Mat, Perrin, Nynaeve, Egwene, Elayne and the rest.
What an amazing book, full with action, plotting, intrigues, world-building, magic, epic scale and so much fun.

Rand and Perrin show a huge character development! Mat, Egwene, Elayne, and Nynaeve (more or
JAIME
Is it weird that I pretty much only love this for Lan and Nynaeve? Oh, and Loial. Perrin is pretty awesome too.

NOT YOU FAILE.

OR YOU EGWENE. You're still the worst.

Sigh. Lan. This series need so much more Lan.

Great story, though there is so much story now I'm getting to a point where it's becoming hard to keep track. Thank God for the WOT Wiki.

• Rhythm of War (The Stormlight Archive, #4)
  • Dawnshard (The Stormlight Archive, #3.5)
  • Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, #2)
  • Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, #3)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
  • Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)
  • Breach of Peace (The Lawful Times, #0.5)
  • Elantris (Elantris, #1)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)
  • Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)
  • Edgedancer (The Stormlight Archive, #2.5)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (The Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (The Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (The Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (The Wheel of Time, #10)
  • Knife of Dreams (The Wheel of Time, #11)