Start by marking “The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)

The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time #4)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  139,794 Ratings  ·  2,442 Reviews
The seals of Shayol Ghul are weak now, and the Dark One reaches out. The Shadow is rising to cover humankind.

In Tar Valon, Min sees portents of hideous doom. Will the White Tower itself be broken?

In the Two Rivers, the Whitecloaks ride in pursuit of a man with golden eyes, and in pursuit of the Dragon Reborn.

In Cantorin, among the Sea Folk, High Lady Suroth plans the retur
Audio CD, 41 pages
Published November 1st 2004 by Macmillan Audio (first published September 15th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Rising, please sign up.
Patrick Stevens Min also played a role in the first chapters of the Dragon Reborn, and she was also together with Elayne, Nynaeve and Egwene during the whole Seanchan…moreMin also played a role in the first chapters of the Dragon Reborn, and she was also together with Elayne, Nynaeve and Egwene during the whole Seanchan affair in "the great hunt".(less)
Anthoney If it's your first time through I'd stay away from the wiki. I'm rereading after many years and I sometimes use the wiki to refresh my memory on…moreIf it's your first time through I'd stay away from the wiki. I'm rereading after many years and I sometimes use the wiki to refresh my memory on something or someone. (less)

Bookdragon Sean
The best thing about reading this series is the constant reminder of how long it is. As I read this I frequently looked up at my Wheel of Time shelf, at the nine books I have yet to read in the series, which serve as a reminder that I’ve barely scratched the surface of this totally epic fantasy world. I have so much left to see.

And this really did get epic this time round. Rand decided to go and visit the vast Aiel waste and through the process discovered much about himself. I’ve criticised his
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

NOTICE: this reread is in preparation for finally biting the bullet and reading book 14. That means I HAVE NOT read book 14 yet. Please be mindful of this in the comments, both for me and for others who may or may not have progressed past this point in the series. Thank you.

I'd forgotten how much happens in this book . . . Holy WOW.

This is the first (but not the last) book that begins with a several seemingly non-related POVs, and as impatient as I always am to "
Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

In The Shadow Rising, things start to slow down. In fact, it often feel like the reading of the story must take longer than it took for the events to actually occur.

Part of the problem is that Mr Jordan tells us nearly everything except when the characters make a bowel movement. Also, he regularly launches into pre-set spiels in which he re-describes something or someone who we've encountered numerous times before or re-explains something we've be
Markus
“The Shadow shall rise across the world, and darken every land, even to the smallest corner, and there shall be neither Light nor safety. And he who shall be born of the Dawn, born of the Maiden, according to Prophecy, he shall stretch forth his hands to catch the Shadow, and the world shall scream in the pain of salvation. All Glory be to the Creator, and to the Light, and to he who shall be born again. May the Light save us from him.

The People of the Dragon hold the Stone of Tear, and mighty C
Manju
“If you plan for the worst, all surprises are pleasant.”

fourth book in WoT and I learned few things from last three book, 1) pack your bags to embark on a journey as one set of the character or the other is always on the move, and we hit the jackpot here with everyone on a journey of their own, 2) close your eyes if you don't want them in your brain because the girls would make you eye-roll in every time you meet them, 3) be ready for the dragging middle chapters. And if you somehow still end
Evgeny
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Before I start my review, there is something I really need to get off my chest. GAWYN TRAKAND IS A COMPLETE IDIOT WHO HAS A DUBIOUS DISTINCTION OF BEING THE MOST IDIOTIC GOOD GUY IN THE HISTORY OF FANTASY, OR LITERATURE IN GENERAL. Sorry, I had to do it; now back to the review.

It is hard to say anything about the fourth book in a series without giving huge spoilers. I will just give my thoughts about the major characters, their development, and plot-lines.

Mat slowly becomes the most interesting
Choko
*** 5 ***

A push to catch up with the BB&B read of the full series by August!

WOW!!! What an amazing book!!! Everything that happens here could fill ten regular books and make all of them burst with content! Once again, only superlatives come to me when writing about this series and objective review is impossible... Thus, I am only going to note that Rand is making strides toward establishing himself as The Dragon Reborn and havoc follows wherever any of our three Tav'eren step foot. The fiv
Robin (Bridge Four)
I'm buddy reading this entire series a book a month with the great fantasy loving peeps at Buddies Books and Baubles

The great thing about that is that I know I have so many great people to discuss all the happenings in this book with. The bad part is that after taking a month to read a single book a few chapters at a time it feels like some of it happened so long ago and perhaps an entire season on one of your favorite shows has gone by and how do you sum that up without a review that is ten pa
Liam Degnan
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Epic Fantasy Fans
Shelves: fantasy
“The Shadow shall rise across the world, and darken every land, even to the smallest corner, and there shall be neither Light nor safety. And he who shall be born of the Dawn, born of the Maiden, according to Prophecy, he shall stretch forth his hands to catch the Shadow, and the world shall scream in the pain of salvation."

4.5 Stars: ✰✰✰✰

In terms of overall content, this was the best book so far. Book Four of the Wheel of Time continued in the same vein as The Great Hunt, making huge deve
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
I'll write a full review when I have time (not to mention finally getting around to writing proper reviews for the last two books), but for now, here were some random thoughts I had after finishing "The Shadow Rising":

- Fourth book in the series, and this was my favorite one yet!

- Loved that we learned so much more about the Aiel culture in this one. More Aiel = more awesome!

- Jordan really raised the emotional impact this time around. Just that tender moment alone when Rand was so exhausted
Hasham Rasool
"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again.

What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow."

I absolutely love this book Alhamdulillah!

I feel so great to come back read 'The Wheel of Time'.

I love the relationship between Perrin and Falie. I am curious about Aiel culture.

'The Wheel of Time' is definitely one of my favourite book series!
JAIME
Is it weird that I pretty much only love this for Lan and Nynaeve? Oh, and Loial. Perrin is pretty awesome too.

NOT YOU FAILE.

OR YOU EGWENE. You're still the worst.

Sigh. Lan. This series need so much more Lan.

Great story, though there is so much story now I'm getting to a point where it's becoming hard to keep track. Thank God for the WOT Wiki.
Melina
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Until this book, I really enjoyed this series. But at #4, it starts to take a harried, complicated turn and I started losing interest in the characters because so few of them act realistically at all as far as emotions go. And the attitudes toward female characters finally wore thin. At least in George RR Martin's books, even though the women were treated like crap, raped, beaten, etc, they still maintain dignity, bravery, and are overall very well-developed characters. Almost all of the females ...more
Manveer
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have reached a point of no return with this series. Time to see it through till the end.
Well, another great installment. Considered by many to be one of the best books in the initial half of the series, it might just be.
Rand finally grew a pair, so there's that. That Rhuidean shit was epic.
And burn me! Mat is getting more and more awesome with every book!
About Perrin, well, I don't know what to say. He is all cool and respectable but Faile got on my nerves at times. Heh, the whole banner thing
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
At this point it already feels like there is not much left to say but to pay homage every time to this incredible series.

This one is a real mover/shaker with all-around interesting POV’s, an abundance of important events unfolding and very exciting worldbuilding taking place. It starts off with a sprint out of the blocks and never really lets up much until the finale. Just WOW.

SPOILERS

Highlights include: (view spoiler)
Matt Brady
Part 5 - Shaido or Shaidon’t, There Is No Try

This is a reread of the entire Wheel of Time so spoilers ahead for the whole series.

Now we are getting somewhere. This is the book where Wheel of Time really starts to take shape and become the series I remember. Thousands of characters! Hundreds of prophecies, visions, and hints! Dozens of storylines! And a subtle but noticeable shift in focus. After being largely absent in Dragon Reborn, Rand returns to find he must now share the stage as Main Prota
How am I even supposed to write a review for this book? I honestly have no idea where to start because there was just so much going on and all of it was fantastic! This is the longest instalment in the Wheel of Time series so far (coming in at just over 1000 pages) but I never once felt bored and that's a testament to how brilliant Robert Jordan's writing is. I am so totally pulled into this world and so invested in all of the characters (even the ones I don't always like that much!) that I neve ...more
Gavin
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This might have been a gigantic book (around 40 hours for the audio), but my review will be a tiny one as by this stage of things pretty much everyone knows what they are getting from the WoT series.

I think The Shadow Rising was the best instalment of the series so far. It did not suffer from the slow starts that plagued the early books and it kept the pace and intensity up all the way through to the exciting finale.

Rand, Elayne, and Perrin all had great storylines and showed up well in this in
Rob
Executive Summary: This is a pretty good book, but it could have been a really good book if the first 20% of this book wasn't so slow. Nothing happened. For like 8 hours of audio. A sign of things to come. 3.5 stars rounded up for the much stronger 80%.

Audiobook: Another fantastic audio book by Micheal Kramer and Kate Reading. I doubt I could have gotten through the first 20% again if not for doing it in audio.

Full Review
My original review from my first read complained about a slow start. It w
Jeannette Nikolova
Back on track! Or should I say, this escalated unexpectedly?
The last book for me was so far the least engaging, but this one not only gained the previous pace of the series, but took the whole story on an entire new level.

Approved:
- The parallel stories in Two Rivers and Aiel: I ABSOLUTELY LOVED reading about Aiel. I already had some suspicions about their culture, but seeing it all, and especially the part in Rhuidean! Hell to the yeah! And since Perrin is my favourite ta'veren, I couldn't ge
Miche
This book was a huge improvement when compared to the previous one. The plot advanced with a good pace and the world building was impressive. However, this is where I will stop reading the books written by Jordan. While I admire the world he created, his writing isn't to my taste. His female point of views are extremely annoying, as the only way he knew how to depicts strong women was to make them bullies.

For my Goodreads friends that will continue the journey, I wish you lots of fun. It is tim
Ashley
Wow, it only took me eight days to read this. I feel like I was reading it forever. Actually, that's not always a bad thing to say, though it certainly sounds bad. Sometimes I feel that way about a book if it's a slog, but sometimes I feel that way if I was really sucked into the world and I'm having trouble pulling my head out of it again. I think this may be more of the latter than the former, here, though the book definitely could have done with some fat trimming (and sexism-trimming).

I don'
Brandi
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, male-lead
I can't even with these books. This one made me cry for the first time in the series (Perrin ;__;) and I'm just in shock that I'm still so in love with the series at this point. They're taking me forever to read though since they're so huge and I only read at night, lol; I've been reading this series since last year (ha! I made a funny).

Jonathan Terrington

The fourth part of fourteen books in the Wheel of Time is one of the best. This is a general opinion, not simply my own. However I tend to think that the last three so far have perhaps been my favourites in the series.

What works?

1. Storytelling - Robert Jordan knows how to tell a story and he is at the peak of his power in this novel. There are multiple perspectives involved which include all the main characters off on their individual tasks. Robert Jordan knows when to introduce certain plot
Allison
*Possible spoilers on the previous books*

The Shadow Rising is one of my favorites of the series - and one of my all-time personal favorites. It's almost 1000 pages long, but it doesn't feel like it. Actually, it feels more like three separate books once the group splits up again. The introduction to these 'three books' takes place in Tear as Rand tries to figure out how to rule a nation and deal with political intrigue. I enjoy the machinations and details of court just as much as I do fast-pace
Jovana
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perin je totalno izdominirao! Trenutni favorit, definitivno. :)
Κωνσταντίνος Τσουρέκης
Η δεύτερη ανάγνωση στη μητρική ήταν σκέτη απόλαυση. Το 4ο βιβλίο είναι το προοίμιο του αγαπημένου μου βιβλίου της σειράς (Οι φλόγες του Ουρανού). Σε αυτό το βιβλίο οι χαρακτήρες αρχίζουν να συνειδητοποιούν τους ρόλους, που έχουν να διαδραματίσουν στην ύφανση του κόσμου. Ο Πέρριν είναι πια ο άρχοντας των δυο ποταμών με ότι αυτό συνεπάγεται. Δεν το θέλει αλλά είναι ο ρόλος που ο κόσμος τον σπρώχνει να είναι. Ο Ματ στο Ρουίντιαν καταλαβαίνει τις δυνάμεις του, τους κινδύνους, την τύχη ωστόσο οι ερωτ ...more
Maria Dimitrova
Buddy read at BB&B

We've finally reached the point where things have picked up. This book starts with a bang and ends with a bang. There were no slow parts where I wanted to gut myself like with the previous three books. I just hope it remains like this for the next ten instalments.

Maybe the writing got better or I finally got used to it but I'm no longer annoyed by the long descriptions. And I'm pretty invested in the characters. Who wouldn't be after more than 3000 pages? During the last
Dirk Grobbelaar
OK, my book reading schedule for the rest of the year is officially knackered. All thanks to this novel. It took me incredibly long to finish this, mainly because I got seriously stuck in the first third of the book.

It’s interesting to note that whenever the characters get bogged down, the story gets bogged down with them. In this case: Tear. The cast spends the first 350-odd pages of the novel hanging around in the same location. It’s not quite pointless, there is some intrigue and at least one
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Wheel of Time books 4-14 147 45 Jul 16, 2018 11:50PM
WoTaLong (Wheel o...: Apr Week 2: Ch 15-30 Spoiler Discussion 13 16 May 26, 2018 03:56PM
WoTaLong (Wheel o...: Apr Week 1: Ch 1-14 Spoiler Discussion 8 14 May 26, 2018 03:52PM
WoTaLong (Wheel o...: Apr Week 3: Ch 31- 45 Spoiler Discussion 8 12 May 13, 2018 07:46PM
WoTaLong (Wheel o...: Apr Week 4: Ch 46-58 Spoiler Discussion 8 10 May 13, 2018 07:38PM
I despise Faile 23 110 Feb 27, 2018 10:22PM
Robert Jordan's:T...: The Shadow Rising Read Along Part X 7 68 Nov 06, 2017 07:05AM
  • House of Chains (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
  • Elven Star (The Death Gate Cycle, #2)
  • The Seeress of Kell (The Malloreon, #5)
  • Chainfire (Sword of Truth, #9)
  • The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4)
  • A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)
  • To Green Angel Tower (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3)
  • When True Night Falls (The Coldfire Trilogy, #2)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)
  • Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“You have made a place in my heart where I thought there was no room for anything else. You have made flowers grow where I cultivated dust and stones. Remember this, on this journey you insist on making. If you die, I will not survive you long.” 299 likes
“Do not trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.” 109 likes