Start by marking “Beat the Reaper” as Want to Read:
Beat the Reaper

Beat the Reaper (Peter Brown #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  13,495 Ratings  ·  2,235 Reviews
This is an alternate cover edition for ISBN 9780316073769.
----------------------------
Dr. Peter Brown is an intern at Manhattan's worst hospital, with a talent for medicine, a shift from hell, and a past he'd prefer to keep hidden. Whether it's a blocked circumflex artery or a plan to land a massive malpractice suit, he knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men.

Pietro "Be
Mass Market Paperback, 295 pages
Published January 2010 by Back Bay Books (first published September 7th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Beat the Reaper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beat the Reaper

Kemper
Aug 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anybody who thinks the U.S. doesn't need health care reform should read this book. Since the author was a medical intern and the details about patient care seem horribly realistic, I think I'd rather read a Surgery For Dummies book and attempt my own future operations with a bottle of Jack Daniels, a carpet knife, duct tape and some rusty pliers rather than risk being admitted to a hospital after reading this.

Peter Brown is a harried resident trying to get through another miserable day at a larg
Robert
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hey fuckhead,

Yep, you, the one with the track marks running down both arms trying to slide off into oblivion, with the tilted head and the faraway expression, staring at the sun like it’s some four-headed monster ready to steal your dreams, twitching for your next fix like some random dog left out in the rain too long, with a stutter-stepping walk and attitude, veering off from the rest of the universe like a bad dream; you might want to sit this one out, otherwise you might have more than just
Saleh MoonWalker
Onvan : Beat the Reaper (Peter Brown #1) - Nevisande : Josh Bazell - ISBN : 316032220 - ISBN13 : 9780316032223 - Dar 310 Safhe - Saal e Chap : 2008
Nathan Rostron
Mar 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Utterly ridiculous, gratuitously violent, highly improbable, totally engrossing, lightening-paced. Why don't more people write like this?
Michael
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michael by: Robert Downs
An outrageous novel that got me laughing a lot in between painfully gruesome situations, a plot worthy of comic books, and occasional absurdly implausible sex scenes.

A young intern of Polish Jewish background, Peter Brown, tries to save patients from gross incompetence at the “worst hospital in Manhattan” while popping drugs to keep awake. It turns out he is former mob hit man in Witness Protection, and his cover is in danger of being blown. Much of the tale corresponds to reflecting back on hi
Gamma Mouse
Feb 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a Charlie Huston honk. There, I admitted it. Like the first step out of twelve, I recognize my problem. And I feel unburdened. Free almost. I’m a Huston-holic. A junkie for Charlie’s magical mushroom prose. And like every good Huston-holic, I’m always searching for writers with a similar style. Writers that’ll grab me by the throat, worrying me like a dog.

Enter Josh Bazell.

A combination of Huston and Chuck Palahniuk, Bazell stuns with his debut novel Beat the Reaper, a brutal and humorous m
Nick
Jan 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like things that are awesome
Recommended to Nick by: ba
This book is A-MAY-ZING. Straight up. Please read this.

It's hilarious and wildly disturbing all at the same time. Bazell is like the Chuck Palahniuk for sane people.

This will just be easier if I quote Ron Charles.

"Beat the Reaper is a hypochondriac's nightmare but a reader's dream. Josh Bazell concocted this comic thriller while working as a medical resident at the University of California, San Francisco, and if anything he describes here is true, we should all become Christian Scientists."

I wan
Patrick
Apr 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading this, I had the vague expectation that it was going to be some sort of urban fantasy.

It wasn't. But that didn't keep me absolutely loving it.

It's funny, clever, fast-moving, irreverent, and horrifying in turns. I highly recommend it. Unless you're a hypochondriac. If you are, you should avoid it like the plague. (heh.)

Bonnie
Jun 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bonnie by: Mike Reynolds
Tfitoby
I finally received a copy of this book 5 weeks after the Pulp Fiction group chose it as their monthly read. Go AusPost! But it was an ugly copy that felt like it had been photocopied, including a glossy print for the flimsy cover. Must do better work at publishing actual books people.

About two thirds of the way through my interest was waning and I decided to check out the 1 Star reviews to see if others were having the same problem I was having with it - the flashbacks were slow and largely unin
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Book about ex(possibly jewish) mobster [s] 4 15 Dec 08, 2014 08:31AM
crime vs compassion 8 68 Sep 24, 2014 05:28PM
Pulp Fiction: May 2012 - Beat the Reaper 32 73 Mar 19, 2013 05:44PM
  • The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death
  • Fun & Games (Charlie Hardie, #1)
  • Vanilla Ride (Hap and Leonard, #7)
  • The Killing Of The Tinkers (Jack Taylor, #2)
  • The Nervous System (Dewey Decimal #2)
  • The Deputy
  • Dirty Money (Parker, #24)
  • The Dawn Patrol (Boone Daniels #1)
Josh Bazell has a BA in writing from Brown University and a MD from Columbia University. He is currently a medical resident at the University of California, San Francisco, and is working on his second novel. He wrote "Beat the Reaper" during the end of medical school and the beginning of residency. Some of his favorite writers are James Ellroy, Ken Bruen, Michael Connelly and Peter Lovesey. He sta ...more
More about Josh Bazell...

Peter Brown (2 books)
  • Wild Thing (Peter Brown #2)
“Ah, youth. It's like heroin you've smoked instead of snorted. Gone so fast you can't believe you still have to pay for it.” 50 likes
“When God is truly angry, He will not send vengeful angels.

He will send Magdalena.