Start by marking “Mormonism for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Mormonism for Dummies

Mormonism for Dummies

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  153 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Get the facts on temples, tithing, missions, and caffeine

Mormon doctrines, rituals, and history, demystified at last!

Mormonism, or the LDS Church, is one of the world's fastest growing religions. But unless you were raised a Mormon, you probably don't have a clear picture of LDS beliefs and practices. Covering everything from Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon to tithin
Published February 25th 2005 by For Dummies

To ask other readers questions about Mormonism for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mormonism for Dummies

Cameron
Sep 23, 2009 rated it liked it
I had never read a "dummies" book before and was excited to give one a try. At first I was taken back by the attitude of the book and how it was not very serious and a lot of sarcasm and joking around especially over a serious topic. I went online and looked at a few other "Dummies" books and realized this is the way they are written and this is the style. SO I felt very stupid and read it with much more of a fun way and found it to be quite fun after I got over that phase.

I liked this book. Be
Tammy
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
Even though I was raised "Mormon", I don't feel like I know much about the religion, nor did I have any idea what made it different from other Christian religions (other than the Godhead vs the Trinity). I think this book did a good job of explaining many of the differences.

One quote I really liked was "It's been said when Mormons want to talk to God, they pray; and when they want God to talk to them, they read the scriptures."
Tania
Feb 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion, non-fiction
In other hands, this book could have been a disaster, but it's a masterful introduction to Mormonism! Humorous, accurate and fair. I would seriously recommend it as a great starting point for the curious. DISCLOSURE: I am enamored with one of the co-authors, Christopher Bigelow, for launching the hilarious satirical "Sugar Beet" ("The Onion" for Mormons) and I count the other co-author, Jana Riess, as a close friend.
Arianne
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing

As a convert to the church, I felt this book was a great way to fully understand the church. It focuses on not only the religious beliefs, but is able to discuss the differences between culture & church doctrine beliefs, which usually non-members get confused. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the church, especially converts & investigators.
Blessedmomfxs
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth reading as long as you are willing to look for the commonalities between your church and the LDS faith. There is much here that when properly understood mirrors mainstream Christianity.
John
Oct 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
This a good summary of Mormon beliefs and practices written by two conscientious LDS authors. Letting Mormons tell their own story is a relatively recent publishing trend which tends to avoid the errors which frequently creep into works written by critics.

The “For Dummies” series in general is hip and irreverent, and this book is no exception. As insiders, the authors were well able to pepper their text with humor that plays upon Mormon distinctives without mocking or belittling their faith. Th
Julie Golding Page
Jul 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology-other
After visiting several Mormon sites in Salt Lake City, Utah, on our holidays this year, my husband and I got curious and picked up this book to learn more. The biggest impression I'm taking away from this book is that Mormonism is really, Really, REALLY different from any other self-described Christian form of religion. When Mormons use classic Christian terms such as God, Heavenly Father, Jesus, Messiah, salvation, or sin, they mean something completely different from orthodox Christian underst ...more
Mike Pemberton
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wasn't totally able to read the entire book because I had to return it to the library (I'm one of those wierdos that still uses it). I did read about 80% of it and I really like how the author laid things out. I have several friends that are of the LDS faith. It can be sometimes hard to ask their views and beliefs because unfortunately many people seem really against the Mormon church. After learning about their interpretation of the Bible and their culture, it would be hard for me to feel tha ...more
Yaaresse
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
A quick, easy, interesting--and surprisingly candid--read that explains a lot about the LDS beliefs, culture, and lifestyle. Probably the only way to learn this much without running the risk of having someone show up on the porch step to try to convert someone, which I definitely was not interested in happening. Like most of the "Dummies" series, there's a lot of information in a small space, and the tone is seldom dry or dull.

At least now I'll understand the references and inside jokes made by
Tim Malone
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved the humor, the basic approach to explaining so much about Mormonism in simple yet not simplistic terms. Save this to some of our friends who were recent converts. They said they got more out of it as far as understanding their new faith than they did from the gospel essentials classes. I highly recommend it. Besides, Both authors are my friends on Facebook. They write lots of other good stuff.
Liz
Sep 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Well that's certainly a lot of information about Mormonism isn't it?

Seriously, a lot of good information - everything you wanted to know about the Church of Latter-Day Saints but were afraid to ask. If you ever wondered about the guys in black suits going door to door offering to talk to you about their church, this is a good book for you.
Annie Oortman
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Perfect for someone (me) that knows nothing about the LDS church. Now that I live in Salt Lake City, the information has come in very handy. Written in the typical light-hearted Dummies style, it was a great, easy read.
Eric Black
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
A comprehensive guide to all things Mormon. Seems to straddle the fence on contentious points as though to report just the facts. Otherwise, a fairly good starting place for people who just want a non-religious introduction to an American religion.
B.
Dec 30, 2009 marked it as to-read
Of course I will be reading this. I love "for dummies" books and whenever there is a topic or subject that interests me, I see if there is a "for dummies" book on it. It is a great book to introduce you to the subject matter.
Kate
Feb 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Very informative and easy to read, but very heavily influenced by missionary style teaching. If you wanted to learn more about the faith but didn't want to talk to humans about it, this would be a good book.
Denise
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was great. I learned a ton about my own religion. It sparked a few things I'll need to research further, but I was happy with it overall. I'd recommend it to non-members and members as well.
Heather
Jan 26, 2008 rated it liked it
I got this from J's parents, who are Mormon, because I was always asking questions about weird rumors I had heard about Mormons. Helped answer my questions without trying to sell me on the faith.
Alyssa
Sep 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Such a great resource for the new convert.
Heather Martin larvik
Interesting read!
YOURABF McGary
great summation of what mormonism teaches and used to teach.

personal library of Elder Josh McGary
Jane
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Good intro especially for those of us NOT LDS.
Ozma
Jul 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you want to learn anything about Mormonism, or about religion in America, you should go to Jana Riess. She is the smartest and nicest writer on the topic.
Kera Price
May 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, religion
good book what tells you about religion. sadly i would never join this because Joesph smith was a liar, con man and People would hire him to find treasures.
Amber
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lds-religion
Decent book, just a light "lossing over" of the basics in the LDS church, but I did learn some stuff...always good.
Donna
Aug 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Hilarious
John Murphy
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. Does a great job (I guess...I don't really know how true it is) of explaining Mormonism to non-Mormons.
Nancy O
Apr 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Who would've thought that the "Dummies" series would branch out to religion?! This is a useful guide for the curious.
Carey
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Someone looking for basic information on the LDS church
Good information, but a bit skewed as this book was written by 2 members of the LDS church, I thought that there were a few omissions.
Markii
Jun 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
cool book with some great articles (see the section on the quirkiness of the word of wisdom). co-written by a Sunstone-goer. :)
Brett Ellis
Jul 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Judaism for Dummies
  • Freemasons For Dummies
  • Being Vegetarian for Dummies
  • The Book of Mormon: A Very Short Introduction
  • Islam for Dummies: A Reference for the Rest of Us!
  • Buddhism for Dummies
  • U.S. History For Dummies
  • Nutrition For Dummies
  • Calculus for Dummies
  • The Torah for Dummies
  • World History For Dummies (For Dummies (Lifestyles Paperback))
  • Arabic For Dummies
  • The Ancient Egyptians for Dummies

Since 2008, Jana Riess has been an editor in the publishing industry, primarily working in the areas of religion, history, popular culture, ethics, and biblical studies. From 1999 to 2008, she was the Religion Book Review Editor for Publishers Weekly, and continues to write freelance articles and reviews for PW as well as other publications.

She holds degrees in religion from Wellesley College and