Start by marking “HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing Yourself (with bonus article "How Will You Measure Your Life?")” as Want to Read:

The path to your professional success starts with a critical look in the mirror.

If you read nothing else on managing yourself, read these 10 articles (plus the bonus article “How Will You Measure Your Life?” by Clayton M. Christensen). We've combed through hundreds of Harvard Business Review articles to select the most important ones to help you maximize yourself.

HBR's 10
Published January 3rd 2011 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published December 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing Yourself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing Yourself

Start your review of HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing Yourself (with bonus article "How Will You Measure Your Life?")
remi d
Feb 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Pick what works best for you. Some stories will resonate more with you than others. In my case, 2 out of 10 did.
Peter House
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A lot of the essays in this book might be ones that any regular reader of HBR might have read before such as, "How Will You Measure Your Life?" or "Managing Oneself" but I would encourage anyone to read this book. There's a lot of tips and tricks that even if one has read an essay before, might have gone missed or might need to be picked up again. While it may seem that this book is something that seems to be directed at executives, this is a book that should be read by high school students, col ...more
Steven
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: _own-audiobook
The article about monkeys and delegation is worth the price alone....loved it.
Zainab Al-Sammak
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
If you read a lot of self development books, you do not need to read this one. It serves as a good reminder, but no huge benefit out of it. Maybe, I was having high expectations since its from HBR.
Atul Maheshwari
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
"The need for managing one's self is creating a revolution in human affairs." Peter Drucker (1999)

This collection of articles by HBR is excellent! The article authors leave lasting impressions upon the reader in terms of ways to self-manage.

It is so appropriate that the first chapter On Managing Yourself is written by Peter Drucker and the focus is on knowing yourself. "One cannot build performance on weaknesses, let alone on something one cannot do at all." You need to understand your strength
Said AlMaskery
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A critical book for self realization and improvement. It captures the fruit of proper academic research on self management.
Dragoljub Ignjatović
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found some articles extremely valuable, others less so. Definitely a useful read
Roger Royse
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Some good tips, but mostly theories, presumptions and platitudes from a group of contributors who have never had to meet a payroll.
The  Conch
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Wish to read Peter Drucker brings me to this book. It is collection of articles published in HBR. Few best articles are:

1. Managing Oneself - To manage oneself is need to know types of one's self such as what is one's strength, giving importance on the strength and increasing it day by day, to know whether one is reader or listener and loner or team worker and decision maker or adviser etc.

2. Management time: who is got the monkey? - Here monkey means responsibility. Often subordinates or collea
Lee G
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of really good stuff in here but some that has more to do with managing others than managing yourself.
Carolina Esteves de Andrade
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
I just invested in myself with the HBR’S 10 Must Reads Collection by Harvard Business Review Press. This series is really good because each book has 10 of the best articles published by Harvard University on each topic. I think it is a must read for any ambitious manager, new or experienced leader.

It is easy to read, each book has approximately 300 pages. Each chapter is an article from great authors such as Peter F. Drucker, Theodore Levitt, Robert S. Kaplan, David P. Norton and others. One of
Sid
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a set of essays curated by HBR to give insights on being a good manager, being a positive influence on others, overcoming obstacles and living a balanced life. My favorite essay was on How Resilience Works. This 3 step process includes, facing down reality, finding meaning and continually improvising. Another fascinating essay was titled Moments of Greatness. We all have faced challenges either personal or professional, at one point in our life. It's important to remember how we overcame ...more
Usman
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gives great insight and perspective on how to be efficient, productive and live a fulfilling life.
Matias Myllyrinne
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lot of truth and insight. Interesting and quick way to read ten views on the subject. Yet feels like in 2018, many of the “insights” are common practice in the games industry, at least in Finland.
Alikhan Oitan
Has a lit of insights worth reading if you are manager or business owner. However as a student I could spend my time for books that better suit my needs.
Anne
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lately I have really struggled through fiction, so I thought it might be time to pick up a business book on a whim, like “hey, nothing can be as bad as the fiction I’ve been reading lately, let’s buy some total crap business book! “.

So imagine my surprise when I’m about halfway through the book and I read the article on “Managing your Energy”, when my perspective on my entire life and my relationship with “work” completely changed. I have never had such a shocking personal revelation from any a
Thomas Neil
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interestingly structured and largely intended more for an “executive“ audience, nonetheless I found tidbits to be useful.

In particular, several sections align and examine evaluating time usage in accordance with priorities and tips on validating that you present to peers in the same way that you feel. Additionally, tips for mental roadblocks that prevent top performance are spread throughout.

I’ll also add that the book lends itself particularly well to ongoing and inconsistent reading as it has
Tess Huelskamp
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick collection of essays detailing ways to improve your professional and personal lives.

"Management Time: Who's Got the Monkey?" is well worth reading for the insight there alone. After being challenged in "Be a Better Leader, Have a Richer Life", I'm going to implement a small life experiment. There were a few other essays in this book that are strong (but not as revelatory as the other two).

I'd recommend this to anyone looking to improve their work/personal life. Solid all around
Reezali Raharjaya
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
People say you can only choose one realm of your several realms in life, choosing your work or your social life. That's wrong based on this book. Completed with how to, makes this book as the right choice. Looking forward to grabbing other HBR's 10 Must Reads series. ...more
Alina Dandara
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it as much or even more as I’ve enjoyed this edition. All the information is pilled up in useful and relatable/applicable schemes for upgrading our work efficiency and company contribution.
Arpit Vyas
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A must read for all professionals.
This book has more knowledge per page than most self-help books combined. The takeaway from all the chapters is varied, necessary and tremendous.
Ben
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Another good series of articles and essays on management, leadership, specifically about Managing Yourself, your time, your resources, and your life in and out of work. Two articles: "How Resilience Works" and "Primal Leadership" were in the HBR's 10 Must Reads on Emotional Intelligence which I had just read. ...more
Joe Holder
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
amazing. Essentially a strong look on how to manage yourself but not simply from a “productivity” perspective. Additional invaluable notes from a wellness perspective too
Sun
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Very disappointed by this book. I thought it would be a collection of complex ideas and new solutions, but it is only a handful of dated articles, only a couple of which gave me any novel insight.

The introduction "How Will You Measure Your Life" is the best chapter and deserves a star to itself.

"Managing Oneself" is a classic article with the humorous idea of managers getting stuck with problem "monkeys" and offers some practical examples of how to empower the managed to solve their own proble
Alok
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
All the articles in the book are by the management gurus with in-depth insight into all aspects of personality be it professional, personal, psychological, mental and all the other facets of human behaviour which makes a person interact externally with all other entity or with self to evaluate and understand oneself. The articles encompasses all the elements of a individual and what needs to be done to change in the positive direction. All the articles have a common thread of:

1) Donot stop learn
Mike
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reading HBR is much like talking to your Mother - the pithy wisdom you've heard many times before, but somehow seem to often catch yourself not doing.

This set is starting to get dated with several of the articles showing their age. "Always use a PDA to write down everything..." for example, which can throw one off a bit. For the audiobook version the starting summery, then the stories then another closing summery can make the book very repetitive in a way the written format wouldn't be as you wo
Anshul Thakur
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
They are definitely a good read if you are looking for guidance. While some articles (mainly collaborations or case studies of how the programs devised by the authors worked wonders) did beat around the bush, it is the veterans like Christensen Clayton, Kaplan and Norton, Kotter, Peter Drucker and many others who moved my heart through beautiful prose in argument. A real story is often more influential than those with ‘A construction company in America’ type of themes and yet some researchers ha ...more
Dave
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: biz
The first three essays or pieces are worth reading. I feel like I read parts of the first two in the past, but it was good review. The article on managing monkeys was very helpful.

The other articles are less detailed iterations of the Power of Full Engagement. I would recommend that book over this, but it was good that HBR confirmed the Power of Full Engagement. See here for my full write up https://medium.com/@Dave.Nash.33/the-...

I used to subscribe to HBR but I stopped for two reasons - one t
Sotiris Makrygiannis
Well, all the subjects are relevant. All articles are situations that one could face in a corporate environment. One was the best of all, the energy crisis, with a brilliant chart and survey to figure out if you have an energy crisis or not.

What I dislike in books like this, is the extensive survey/charts/tables that you need to answer in order to find the answers. This format is so overused that is boring, innovation in writing management books is needed. So out of 10 articles, only 1 had huge
Vicky
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this for the first time in my last year of college. The articles were not too long, not too short, and to the point. Instead of preaching career success it focused on how to maintain your well-being. Without a solid internal value system and viable tools to manage negative energy, even successful careers are meaningless.
I bought the audiobook and listen to it everyday on my commute. It's a great way to start the day. :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Leaders' Book Club: Buddy Read - HBR's 10 must reads on managing yourself 1 10 Jul 23, 2018 06:29AM

• HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People (with featured article “Leadership That Gets Results,” by Daniel Goleman)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Leadership
  • HBR'S 10 Must Reads: The Essentials
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Strategy (including featured article “What Is Strategy?” by Michael E. Porter)
  • On Emotional Intelligence (HBR's 10 Must Reads)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Mental Toughness (with bonus interview "Post-Traumatic Growth and Building Resilience" with Martin Seligman) (HBR's 10 Must Reads)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Communication (with featured article “The Necessary Art of Persuasion,” by Jay A. Conger)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads for New Managers
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Change Management (including featured article “Leading Change” )
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Teams (with featured article “The Discipline of Teams,” by Jon R. Katzenbach and Douglas K. Smith)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Innovation (with featured article “The Discipline of Innovation,” by Peter F. Drucker)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Making Smart Decisions
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on AI, Analytics, and the New Machine Age (with bonus article "Why Every Company Needs an Augmented Reality Strategy" by Michael E. Porter and James E. Heppelmann)
  • HBR Guide to Persuasive Presentations
  • HBR Guide to Managing Up and Across (HBR Guide Series)
  • HBR Guide to Better Business Writing
  • HBR Guide to Getting the Right Work Done
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Negotiation (with bonus article "15 Rules for Negotiating a Job Offer" by Deepak Malhotra)
Clayton M. Christensen is the Robert and Jane Cizik Professor of Business Administration at the Harvard Business School, with a joint appointment in the Technology & Operations Management and General Management faculty groups. He is best known for his study of innovation in commercial enterprises. His first book, The Innovator's Dilemma, articulated his theory of disruptive technology.

Christensen

News & Interviews

“Like employees, children build self-esteem by doing things that are hard and learning what works.” 3 likes
“Put yourself where your strengths can produce results.” 3 likes