Start by marking “How to Eat Fried Worms” as Want to Read:
How to Eat Fried Worms

Thomas Rockwell

How to Eat Fried Worms

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  40,666 Ratings  ·  911 Reviews
How to Eat Fried Worms has happily repulsed children since its original publication in 1973. Now youngsters can experience this classic story in a whole new yucky way, by listening to it on audiocassette. Narrator Jay O. Sanders gives extra kick and vitality to this already lively yarn. He throws himself into the role of a 10-year-old boy, facing the most revolting bet of ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published April 12th 2005 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about How to Eat Fried Worms, please sign up.

nazareth barrios I can't believe I am answering my own question☺😀😁😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Jason
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
“You’re a bastard!”

That’s what one school-aged child says to another somewhere in this book. I read it in the third grade and I remember very clearly talking to Kevin Petrasek about it, Kevin telling me it was a swear word and me not believing him (I had never heard this word before in my life). So of course I asked Miss Lisak and she decided we should discuss it further in detention.

So anyway, my kid picked up this book at the library today. On my recommendation. I understand they changed later
Karly *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)*
Category: A Book from your Childhood

3 Stars

I didn’t remember much about this book when I started this re-read. I remember that my mother was more horrified by the prospect of my reading a book titled How to Eat Fried Worms than Billy’s mother seemed to be by the fact her son was eating worms. I remembered thinking that mustard (my second least favourite of all the condiment kingdom) was probably grosser to stomach than fried worms themselves. And that is about it. However, I saw this book in the
Mariah
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book with my Reading Class. We spent a month listening to the book on tape and filling out a packet that went with it. Afterwords, we watched the movie and did a compare and contrast assignment.
The students rated this book:
1 star = 2 students
3 stars = 3 students
4 stars = 2 student

I personally felt this book was worthy of 3 stars. I found it entertaining and very creative. I completely understand why it is considered a "modern classic," because it is one of the first of its kind.
I fo
Manybooks
Although Thomas Rockwell's How to Eat Fried Worms was very much a personal favourite when it was read to me (to our whole class) in grade five, as an adult rereading this novel, I unfortunately feel that How to Eat Fried Worms has lost much of its charm, that it has not aged all that well. The antics of Billy Forrester and his friends (and of course, his adversaries, his nemeses) now leave me, at best, only mildly amused, and more often than not rather annoyed. Eating fifteen large earthworms (n ...more
Shaun Kellogg
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ingredients: 50 whole dollar bills, 15 ripe earthworms, 4 young boys, 1 disgusting dare

Combine all ingredients into a small book, carefully mix with witty dialogue, stir in unforgettable characters, add a dash of nausea, a pinch of mischief and generously sprinkle with humorous chapters. Let stand for fifteen days, remove from bookshelf and enjoy in large helpings.

How to Eat Fried Worms is a recipe for fun, laughter and possibly an upset stomach. However, it is sure to please even the pickiest o
Katie McGaha
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thomas Rockwell’s How to Eat Fried Worms is about a group of young boys who have made a bet. The book is about Bill and his two friends Alan and Joe. Billy is a normal kid with no money who wants a new motorbike and to earn the money for it his two friends bet $50 that he can’t eat 15 worms in 15 days. So on the day one of the bet Alan and Joe bring Billy a worm which has been boiled in mustard, horseradish and ketchup. Billy struggles to eat the first worm but manages to get it all down and sur ...more
sj
Originally posted here as part of the 30 Day Book Challenge.

Wow, who knew this question would be so difficult?  I remember lots of books I read when I was a kid, but I think this was the first chapter book I read on my own.

The First Novel I Remember Reading

I had no idea they'd made a movie of this book!  I am kind of afraid to watch it.

Man, 6 year old sj LOVED this book.  To this day, every time I see a mini-bike, I think of this chanty song:

Trout, Salmon, flounder, perch,
I'll ride my minibike
Becky Straub
Audiobook: listened to this with my 9yo son on a road trip. I have memories of loving it as a kid, and he ended up loving it as well, however, as a grownup it's not as awesome as my memory of the story.
Alana
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell is a very humorous story about a group of young boys and a dare. Billy dares that he can eat fifteen worms in fifteen days, and if he does, Alan will pay him $50 out of his savings account that he has earned. Billy is enticed by this offer because with $50, he could buy a minibike. Once the bet was on, Alan and Tom would pick the worms and Billy could eat them any way he wanted; this included anything and everything from ketchup and mustard, to rolled in ...more
Dave
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a true American classic, a great children's book from the 1970's. I first read it when I was a fourth grader back in 1976. The premise is a bet to eat 15 worms in 15 days. I was initially repulsed at the idea of eating worms but inspired by the idea of winning the fifty dollar bet to buy a mini-bike. In fact, later that summer I did yard work to earn the money for my first "mini-bike" a 1974 Honda CT 70.
Eating worms was just too gross.
This book has a history of being placed on the banned
Future Teachers, ...: Nathan Richards Review #6 1 2 Dec 04, 2016 02:45PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please Add Book Cover 2 11 Nov 25, 2016 07:57AM
  • Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)
  • Freckle Juice
  • The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3)
  • Soup (Soup, #1)
  • The Great Brain Does it Again (Great Brain #7)
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Chocolate Fever
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Niagara Falls, Or Does It? (Hank Zipzer, #1)
  • Nothing's Fair in Fifth Grade
Thomas Rockwell (son of the American artist, Norman Rockwell) is the author of a number of books for young readers. He was the recipient of the Mark Twain Award, the California Young Reader Medal, and the Sequoyah Award for How to Eat Fried Worms, which was made into a TV movie in 1985 and was filmed as a theatrical release in 2006. He lives in Poughkeepsie, New York.

-Wikipedia
More about Thomas Rockwell...