Start by marking “A World Without Heroes (Beyonders, #1)” as Want to Read:
A World Without Heroes (Beyonders, #1)

A World Without Heroes

(Beyonders #1)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  31,682 Ratings  ·  2,762 Reviews
Published March 15th 2011 by Aladdin (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A World Without Heroes, please sign up.
Charlotte Walker This is an amazing book. it got me bored the first time I read it, so make sure you are at least a teen before you read it. It is Fabulous!!

Ahmad Sharabiani
A World Without Heroes (Beyonders #1), brandon mull
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: بیست و چهار می سال 2016 میلادی
عنوان: سه گانه ماورایی ها - کتاب 1 - دنیای خالی از قهرمان؛ نویسنده: براندون مول؛ مترجم: سمانه امین پور؛ تهران، آذرباد، 1393، در 544 ص؛ شابک: 9786006225517؛ موضوع: داستانهای خیالی از براندون مول قرن 21 م
ترجمه ای دیگر با همان عنوان و مترجم: فرناز حائری؛ تهران، نشر بهنام، 1393، در 512 ص؛ شابک: 9786007132036؛
ماجرای پسری دانشجو به نام «جیسون واکر» است؛ که در اوقات فراغتش در یک باغ وحش کار میکند. در ب
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
A World Without Heroes is a 'grew on me' book. Initially, I was not sure I liked the tone at all. At first, I thought it would read more like a Disney film than a weighty young adult fantasy novel with potential. As I listened, my feelings started to change. The idea is not new, but the in- between steps of the journey proved interesting. While I am not extensively well read, not in the least, in epic fantasy, I appreciate the quest as a foundation for a story. Fairy tales (which I am very well- ...more
Kathryn
There are so many disappointing YA books lately, ever since the genre has grown so rapidly within a very short period of time. It almost seems like authors are writing books with only a stroke of a pencil. Not thinking hard enough. The plots are forgettable, unintelligent and always comes with an uncomfortable threesome.

Which is why I have turned my back to them for now and concentrating on "novel" and "Middle Grade lit".

This book had one of the most imaginative and amazing first chapter I hav
Kristalia
Final rating: 4.25/5 stars
Final rating - for the whole series: 4.75/5 stars

I loved it. I finished it in a day.

Great worldbuilding, fantastic villain, and a world with no heroes. Literally.

Basically, as the name says, there is only one ruler, he's a mage, the last one, and he conquered everything. Instead of killing his enemies, he makes examples of them, or spares them in blissful prison, or he throws them into the cruel ones, or he ask them to join him. No killing unless necessary. No maps, a
Mike (the Paladin)
Let me say...I liked Harry Potter. Garth Nix, most of his books I enjoy greatly. I have read a lot of YA books that I really enjoyed.

This isn't one of them.

While I can't say I hate this book or anything like that, I don't even intensely dislike it, mostly, I was just glad to get through it. I'd call this more of a juvenile book than a YA or even a Youth book. The characters in the book, the relationships in the book all are just very young.

I mean let's face it. Our Hero gets to the magical land
Kristen
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: middlegrade
This was good! On to book 2.
Matt
Mar 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm normally a big fan of Mull's work. Especially the awesome Fablehaven series. He manages to ground the fantasy in realistic, honest characters...which is just the thing that's missing from the first book in the Beyonders series.

The story behind the Beyonders is interesting, but he plops a couple of characters into the action with essentially no exposition. We don't know the characters, we don't care about them, and we're not invested in their success or failure.

Beyond that, the story feels l
Jessica
Mar 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit, fantasy
Dang, but Brandon Mull's imagination is a weird place! In this first book in a new trilogy, he's created some of the most truly inventive and fascinating flora and fauna I've ever seen! Displacers, Seed People, three tailed rats whose kidneys taste like dessert . . . okay that last one made me gag a bit. But apparently our hero, Jason, liked it, so who am I to argue? And speaking of Jason, what a great lead character, a perfect depiction of the average jr. high age boy, thrown into this crazy ne ...more
Amber
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jason Weaver is your average 13 year old in middle school. When he accidentally falls in the hippo tank at his volunteer job at the zoo and is eaten, he ends up in a brand new world called Lyrian where his adventure is about to begin. Can he save this new world and survive in it? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good read that I got at the dollar tree for $1 and am looking forward to checking the rest of this trilogy at my local library since this is my first book I have read
Heather
Jan 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I LOVED Fablehaven, so was excited to see a new Brandon Mull book.

But I was disappointed that this was no Fablehaven. The book redeems itself in the end, and I am genuinely looking forward to a sequel, but my goodness the first third of this book is as bad as I've ever read. Besides a choppy pace and a character we know almost nothing about (and therefore care nothing about), the editor let sentences like, "He extended his hand probingly" and "The sand stopped his submergence." get by. Is 'subme
Michelle Isenhoff
I’ve developed a love-hate relationship with this book. It took me a week to really give it a chance. I thought the writing style rather rough, with awkward word choices and excessive adjectives and adverbs. But as I moved into the heart of the adventure, I became hooked. Once I really started, I finished it in just two days, and it’s a 450 page book. Here’s what got me:

Jason Walker happened upon the strangest portal between worlds ever. After an episode involving a hippopotamus and the musical
Zahra Rhm
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
قهرمان بودن یعنی انتخاب راه درست بدون درنظرگرفتن عواقبش.
گاهی قهرمان بودن سخت نیست. جیسون نیروی خاصی نداره. نه جادوهای ماورایی، نه توان جسمی ویژه. فقط یک پرتاب کننده خوب بازی بیسباله. با این وجود، شجاعت به خرج میده و سعی می کنه دنیایی رو که کسی جرئت مقابله با امپراتور ظالمش رو نداره، نجات بده.
Raechella
Oct 30, 2012 rated it liked it
To be honest, I haven’t read anything from Brandon Mull yet, notwithstanding his well-known children’s series Fablehaven (which I certainly would like to check out some time), not until Beyonders: A World Without Heroes. I’ve been seeing this on GR for a while now, so imagine my exhilaration as soon as I found this on Booksale’s crammed shelves; thus, I momentarily purchased it without any second thoughts.

The story kicks off when a 13-year old middle-grader, Jason, heard an unusual sound coming
Librarysteph
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teen boys, fans of adventure and fantasy, baseball fans,
Recommended to Librarysteph by: Simon & Schuster Canada
Shelves: high-fantasy
This is a fantastic book of adventure that will appeal to both boys and girls. Jason’s quest is interesting and full of cool creatures and characters. From the very first quote, full of irony, I knew I would enjoy Mull’s sense of humour. There was a chapter near the end of the book where I was laughing out loud in fits of giggles because it was so ridiculous and awesome.
I have mixed feelings about an enemy who has the power to kill instantly but prefers to toy with his victims. This is overly co
Rachael
I literally have been working on a full-series review of Beyonders for a month, and finished it tonight. buuuuut when I pasted it into the review box, it was, like, twice the length that goodreads allows?? I know it sounds like I'm exaggerating but it's almost 12 pages on word and the longest thing I've ever written lol here's a screenshot:
description

I just can't help it or contain myself when I want to rant about my special interests??

Maybe I'll just write "please read beyonders" 200 times and call it
Tina ➹ the girl who lives in Fandoms (Book.Enchantress)
it was interesting. reminded me some kind of Lord of the rings in middle grade. I liked it & want to know how it ends.
3 silver stars
Fredrik
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Di luar dugaan...
buku ini ternyata LEBIH BAGUS daripada ekspektasiku (yang memang sudah menduga kalau ini akan bagus)! xD

Untuk standar sebuah novel bagi middle grade and children, buku pertama Beyonders ini layak dapat 5 bintang. Top.
Ceritanya, twist-nya, humornya, pesannya... Hai(n)yaaa~ <3

Juga yang menarik adalah karena cara bercerita di buku ini, apalagi dialognya, justru mengingatkanku pada game-game adventure di PC, khususnya serial Monkey Island (which is one of my favorite games ever!)
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Thirteen year old Jason had a very unexciting life. He was just like any other teenager. He went to school and worked part-time at a zoo after school. One day, Jason thought he heard music coming from the hippo’s mouth (yes you read it right, music from a hippo’s mouth). When he leaned over the railing to investigate he thought the music was coming from INSIDE the hippo. He leaned too much and fell into the hippo’s mouth which wasn’t really any hippo’s mouth but a doorway to the world of Lyrian. ...more
Cheri
Jul 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, wishlist
I just finished the advanced reading copy of Beyonders A World Without Heroes. This was a fast paced read, very hard to put down. The book will not be released until March 22, 2011. Although this book is geared for middle readers, it will be enjoyed by all ages from young to old. Brandon Mull is a great writer. I am a big fan of Fablehaven but I think this new series may just top Fablehaven, I can't wait for the next book in the series!!!
Donna Weaver
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WHAT IT'S ABOUT
Jason Walker has often wished his life could be a bit less predictable--until a routine day at the zoo ends with Jason suddenly transporting from the hippo tank to a place unlike anything he's ever seen. In the past, the people of Lyrian welcomed visitors from the Beyond, but attitudes have changed since the wizard emperor Maldor rose to power. The brave resistors who opposed the emperor have been bought off or broken, leaving a realm where fear and suspicion prevail.

In his search
Mandi
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked it...will try his fablehaven series.
Kimberly Bartholomew
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jason, a 13-year-old boy with the love of baseball, led a pretty normal life, but when he heard music coming out of a hippopotamus, his whole world was turned upside down. He wasn't going crazy or hearing things because of a concussion he had gotten from hitting his head with a baseball, the music was coming from a completely different world. Leaning forward to investigate, Jason fell into the hippopotamus’ mouth, and landed in the middle of the forest.
Finding help from a strange lore master,
Linda♥
*berusaha mengabaikan tampilan baru gutrits yg ngeselin (SUMPAH BIKIN BAD MOOD orang yg lagi bahagia habis nemu buku bagus aja!)*

Aku bingung menggolongkan buku ini kemana. Distopia iya (demi apa pun Lyrian itu dunia desperate. Aku ga akan mau kalau2 sampai terpental ke sana!), fantasi juga iya karna ada unsur sihir dan makhluk2 ajaib seperti Sang Pemindah (yang bisa mutus2in anggota tubuh kayak cicak) dan Kaum Amar (yang bisa hidup lagi kalau benihnya ditanam di tanah yg subur). Okelah gabungan
Mairéad (is roaming the Undying Lands)
{December 8th, 2014} MINI-REVIEW

“In short, heroism means doing the right thing regardless of the consequences.”

2.5 stars (ouch much?).

Apparently I never did the review or update for this one, my bad. Been so scatterbrained lately with all the preparations for Christmas and my trip that will beginning on December 21st. It has been absolutely insane as of late! And I think another reason why I hadn't done anything about this book was because it felt so meh. And here it started out so promising..
Alexa Ayana
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jason tak pernah ingin jadi pahlawan. Dia juga tak ingin jadi musuh kaisar yang jago sihir dan di kejar-kejar algojonya yang beraneka rupa. Dia cuma ingin kembali ke dunianya, tapi takdir mempertemukannya dengan Rachel dan terus menuntun mereka berdua menjauh dari jalan pulang sebelum menyelesaikan misi yang bisa menyelamatkan Lyrian.

"Kalian berdua memilih jalan yang tepat, walaupun itu yang paling sukar. Inilah esensi kepahlawanan."

Storyline buku middle grade ini di luar dugaan komplek, seru d
Erica (daydreamer)
Well, quite a fantastic adventure I must say! A World Without Heroes is certainly a very imaginative, creative story in a very intriguing, strange world. It will definitely appeal to all Fablehaven fans (and if it doesn’t, well something must be wrong with you ;), and pretty much any young teenager looking for a fantastical adventure. I really enjoyed reading it.

The two main characters, Jason and Rachel, are two teenagers who unintentionally get sucked from our world into a whole new, magical w
Natalie
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this book for the second time because I needed a refresher before I read Book #2. It was a good thing too, because I realized that I had forgotten so much. I didn't even really remember the biggest point of the story - the climax - until I was nearly done.

Second time through was still fun. I was a little impatient, though, because I was anxious to start the second book. Therefore, I didn't find it as fascinating as the first time, but still enjoyable. Still leaving it with a four star ra
Tish
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
I didn't enjoy this nearly as much as I enjoyed Brandon Mull's Fablehaven series. There didn't seem to be much character development so that even by the end of the story, I didn't really care what happened to the main characters. In addition, the author didn't really seem to build up any suspense so that the big "shocker" at the end wasn't. Jason, the main character, says he is totally wiped out by what he learns, but I never felt it. Also, I would have preferred to find out more about the links ...more
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adventure fans
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: FableHaven by same author
Only Brandon Mull can pull off something as ridiculous as a protagonist being swallowed by a hippopotamus. Yes you read correctly, a hippopotamus.
hippo gif photo: Hippo CharlieSheenHippopotamus.gif
This truly has been pleasure to read.
This was an intensive adventure, and I'm so glad that I bought the box-set of the trilogy. I've decided to pace myself on this series.
Cintya Larasinta
cukup 2 kata adalah LUAR BIASA!

ini kisah petualangan penuh FANTASI yg luar biasa, humor, imajinasi dengan dialog2 cerdas dan rapi. Saya tidak pernah membaca buku Brandon Mull sebelumnya ketika saya mencoba penasaran mengambil buku ini. Dari halaman pertama saya bnr2 terpaku dengan pembukaan gelap dan kuat yang mendorong pembaca ke dunia Lyrian. setiap halamannya berisi petualangan, drama, loyalitas dan pengkhianatan
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. YA portal fantasy trilogy. Spoilers ahead. [s] 5 46 Jan 27, 2018 12:37AM
  • Slathbog's Gold (Adventurers Wanted, #1)
  • Choke (Pillage, #2)
  • Return to Exile (The Hunter Chronicles #1)
  • Water Keep (Farworld, #1)
  • Secrets of New Forest Academy (Janitors, #2)
  • The Second Siege (The Tapestry, #2)
  • Dragon Games (The Books of Umber, #2)
  • The Hunt for Dark Infinity (The 13th Reality, #2)
  • The Outcasts (Brotherband Chronicles, #1)
Brandon Mull resides in a happy little valley near the mouth of a canyon with his wife and three children. He spent two years living in the Atacama Desert of Northern Chile where he learned Spanish and juggling. He once won a pudding eating contest in the park behind his grandma’s house, earning a gold medal. Brandon is the author of the New York Times bestselling Fablehaven series and The Candy S ...more

Beyonders (3 books)
  • Seeds of Rebellion (Beyonders, #2)
  • Chasing the Prophecy (Beyonders, #3)
“You're just a character in my dream."
"You wish."
"I didn't mean my love interest," she replied defensively. "You'd have better hair. You're the character I dreamed up because the rest of the dream was making me homesick."
"Maybe you're the character I dreamed up to scare myself awake."
"That's not very nice!"
"You made fun of my hair. I like it this way. Short and simple."
I don't mind short. Mine is short."
"Then what's wrong with mine?" Jason challenged.
"Maybe we should talk about something else."
"Like the guy on a horse coming to kill us?"
"It needs more style," she muttered.
"The horse?"
"Your hair."
"I forgot to bring my gel when I got eaten by a hippo.”
63 likes