Start by marking “Die Hassliste” as Want to Read:
Die Hassliste

Die Hassliste

(Hate List)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  49,617 ratings  ·  4,810 reviews
Valerie ist sechzehn, als ihre Welt zusammenbricht. In der Schul-Cafeteria eröffnet ihr Freund Nick das Feuer auf seine Mitschüler. Er tötet sechs Menschen und verletzt zahllose andere. Valerie selbst wirft sich vor eine Schülerin und wird dabei schwer getroffen. Doch hinterher wird sie keinesfalls als Heldin betrachtet, sondern als Mittäterin. Gemeinsam mit Nick hatte sie ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by dtv (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Die Hassliste, please sign up.
Shannon Fay I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed 13 Reason Why. A lot of what it deals with is similar. There's a tragic act that…moreI would absolutely recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed 13 Reason Why. A lot of what it deals with is similar. There's a tragic act that seriously affects people who knew that person. There are people left devastated by those actions, and the main character really struggles, and you can relate to her story, and (at least I could), feel what she's feeling. So if you liked 13 Reasons, because you liked reading about a messed up situation, and how that affects people (I guess liked is the wrong word, cuz it is really messed up). If you enjoyed reading a really tough, but touching book, then yes, you'd probably like this.(less)
Riley Hurst It's marked as YA which starts between 12 and 14 at most schools as to when you're allowed to check them out.

·  49,617 ratings  ·  4,810 reviews

Emily May
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“People do it all the time--assume that they "know" what's going on in someone else's head. That's impossible. And to think it's possible is a mistake. A really big mistake. A life-ruining one if you're not careful.”

This is the kind of story I was hoping for when I read This Is Where It Ends - a book that promised to delve into the darkness of school shootings, but never moved past a surface view of mindlessly evil shooter vs. poor victims. Hate List, on the other hand, is dark, psychological
Stacia (the 2010 club)
3.5 stars. After sitting on my thoughts for a day, I feel like I can't review this book with any sort of polished thought process, so I'm just going to let my fingers type out whatever comes to mind. I think this book probably deserves a 4 star plus rating because it is a story worth telling and a story worth reading, but a few things held me back from going higher.

1. The timing was off for me. Given that my state has been rocked by several shootings over the past several years (the most recent
Tani ~Semi-hiatus~
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA fans who don't want romance in a book
Shelves: favorites
RATINGS: 4 STARS

Hate List is one of the intriguing, catchy and compelling books which makes you think deeply about every side of a crime. A criminal is rejected and punished by the society to justify the victims. The question arises when a criminal is a victim of the society. This book deals with the aftermath of a school shooting. Whenever we watch a news channel, we don't realise how deeply any incident affects the people related to it. This book shows us different sides of a crime, a crimin
Kristi
Aug 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three words: Powerful, thought-provoking, & riveting.

The story initially jumps between the actual shooting in May and then following September when, Valerie is preparing to head back to school. Then it focuses on Valerie's senior year and the after math of the shooting itself. It's also laced with newspaper articles throughout the first half or so. These aspects really added a certain dynamic to the novel, and made it one that particularly stands out in my mind.

The narrative of this novel is
Faye, la Patata
Jun 27, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a disappointing book. GAH. I'm so mad.

Whiny heroine, whiny parents, whiny brother, whiny friends. I just can't stand it. And why is she trying to force the idea that Nick was still a good guy even if he shot and killed several people? Don't fucking make excuses for him. Ugh.

I mean seriously, the dad threatened to disown the girl! The mom told her outright that she ruined her life for simply loving the wrong guy. She wasn't even the criminal and yet her family treats her like one. What kind
Sandra
Dec 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me of the song “Pumped-up Kicks” by Foster the People. It goes something like this:

All the other kids with the pumped up kicks,
You better run, better run, outrun my gun.
All the other kids with the pumped up kicks,
You better run, better run, faster than my bullet.

In the song, the shooter’s name was Robert while the guy in this book was named Nick.

Nick was not a violent person.
At first glance, you won’t even think of him as the guy who could do something like this.
He was a ho
Councillor
If you are a student, then it is highly likely that you know about the constant fear of someone running on a killing spree in your school building or your university. If not, then at least you probably have relatives or friends who could potentially be involved in such a tragedy, just as everyone can possibly become a victim to such a horrifying scenario. That's what this book is about: the way an entire school deals with a killing spree after Nick Levil opened fire in the school cafeteria, kill ...more
Laurie –A Court of Books–
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laurie –A Court of Books– by: Anne

It's been five months. Five months since that tragic day. That day when Nick decides to open fire on his school cafeteria killing those who were on the Hate List. That list, which was written by him and his girlfriend Valerie, classified all those that used to torment them both during the school day. Students, bullies, teachers, popular kids... several of them were shot by Nick until Valerie tries to stop the slaughter, inadvertently saves a classmate and ends up being shot in the leg i
Olivia
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I genuinely believe this is a life changing book - it's definitely made me think differently about life. Wow. Just, wow.

*FULL REVIEW BELOW.*

You know when you hear someone say, 'One day, you will find a book that will change the way you think about life.' Yeah? Well for me, that book was Hate List.

This book is one which hasn't got the most action packed plot, yet is rather driven by the stunning, multi-layered characters. Valerie, our main protagonist was such an interesting character to read abo
Anne
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A WISE MAN ONCE SAID.

Oh, don't roll your eyes. He IS wise!

OVERVIEW
People hate. That's our reality. People hate and are hated and carry grudges and want punishments ... I don't know if it's possible to take hate away from people. Not even people like us, who've seen firsthand what hate can do. We're all hurting. We're all going to be hurting for a long time. And we, probably more than anyone else out there, will be searching for a new reality every day. A better one ... But in order to c
C.G. Drews
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know the kind of book that consumes you? I’m talking turns-you-into-a-hermit-until-you-read-the-last-page. HATE LIST is that kind of book. Emotional rollercoaster? Yes.

I wanted to cry. Scratch that – I wanted to bawl my eyes out. The book is about a school shooting, but then again, it isn’t about a school shooting. This is what the author’s note says (in the back of the book):

“Funny thing, I’ll bet if you asked ten readers what HATE LIST is about, they’d answer, ‘It’s about a school shooti
Paulo Ratz
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esse livro me prendeu do início ao fim. Que situação complicadaaaaa que essa protagonista vive. Eu ficava o tempo todo me colocando no lugar dela e no lugar das pessoas em volta e não conseguia decidir o que sentia. A Jennifer conseguiu uma coisa muito difícil que é ser cruel com a protagonista sem reservas. Eu ficava com pena da garota o tempo todo, porém via que era bem realista a forma que tudo era tratado. Acho que na vida real seria até pior.
Minha única questão com esse livro é que eu fiqu
Rebecca
Nov 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hate List is one of those rare finds that leaves you completely stunned and quite literally sends your emotions running around in circles.

As I was reading Hate List I found myself on the edge of my seat wanting to know more about everything in the book. I really loved Valerie as a character, I found myself feeling so bad for her. I hated the way that almost everyone treated her. I think that in a way I found Valerie to be so relatable was because she had flaws and she wasn't perfect, she was a t
Rose
Initial reaction: There aren't a lot of books that make me cry. This one made me teary eyed in places.

It's a book that covers many difficult subjects and emotions, and there are definitely a lot of times where Valerie was a difficult character to follow, but man - her emotions, experiences - all felt very genuine and real to me.

Val's parents were horrible.

Listened to this via audiobook, beautifully narrated.

Full review:

Oh man, how on earth do I write a review on Jennifer Brown's "Hate List?" Hon
Heather
Sep 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
What can I say about Hate List that could ever do it justice? This book was eerie. I connected to it on such a personal level that it sort of freaked me out. I’m really hoping that this fact is due to the talent of Jennifer Brown. For once, I can truly say that I have found a writer that can tap into what it really feels like to be a teenager, an honest to goodness, authentic teen. Not the nice goodie two shoes we so often read about, not the one’s who cuss, sneak off with boys and fight with th ...more
Elise (TheBookishActress)
People do it all the time– assume that they know what's going on in someone else's head. That impossible. And to think it's possible is a really big mistake. A life-ruining one if you're not careful.

The Hate List is about perception - how we can look at someone and see them as all bad or all good when they have tons beneath. Valerie perceived her boyfriend, Nick, as good – before he shot up their school. And everyone sees Valerie as bad, except for Jessica, the girl whose life Valerie saved.

T
 ᴍɪᴄs ✖amante de los spoilers✖
Leído para el 2015 reading challenge #38. Libro que te haga llorar

Frankie: ¡¡TRAIDOR!!. Metete el cochecito de papi bien en el cu**.

Papá de Val (cualquiera que sea tu asqueroso nombre): SORETEEEEE. Sos una vergüenza de padre. ¡VAL SE MERECE UN PADRE MEJOR!. SORETEEEE. Te importa más la minucha con la que estas saliendo que tu propia hija. SOS UN SORETE.

Mamá de Val: You tried.

Dr. Hieler: Man, you're awesome.

Pensé que iba a ser un libro SOLO enfocado en el bullying y si bien eso es el origen de t
Maede
همه چیز از یک اتفاق وحشتناک شروع میشه. یک روز معمولی در مدرسه "نیک" دوست پسر "ولری" اسلحه ای در میاره و شروع می کنه به شلیک کردن. همه ی نفرتی که در وجودش هست خون میشه و مدرسه رو قرمز می کنه. ولری عاشق نیک بود. چطور نمی دونست چنین اتفاقی قرار بود بیوفته؟ یا شاید می دونسته؟
ولری هم از اون آدم ها متنفر بود، یعنی واقعاً می خواست که بمیرند؟
ولری هیچ چیز نمی دونه

زمان در زندگیش متوقف شده، گذشته مبهمه، نامطمئن، هر چیز که می دونسته اشتباه بوده. حال زجرآوره و آینده ناموجود
این کتاب برعکس شروع میشه. مهم ترین
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
With the electricity gone for a good two days and a mere candle to acompany me in a restless night, I spotted HATE LIST which I had purchased well over a year ago. I ignored it really, maybe because I knew it would be a conflicting read.

With HATE LIST I went through an array of emotions. There were the good parts, the bad and the in - between bits. For the most part, I spent the majority of the novel seriously pissed.

I made some notes in my diary for the first time actually. They are on the roug
Kim
“Perhaps it is only human nature to inflict suffering on anything that will endure suffering, whether by reason of its genuine humility, or indifference, or sheer helplessness.” ― Honoré de Balzac

Perhaps.

Some article some where said that this was one of those 'must read' young adult books. I didn't really read into it to see why. The title sort of piqued my interest. Who didn't have a hate list? Right?

My 25th high school reunion was 2 days ago. I found this out because a couple of friends from
Helen
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Hate List is by no means a cheerful read, but it is an important one. The plot begins in the aftermath of a school shooting where several students are murdered before the shooter, Nick, commits suicide. The story is told from the perspective of Valerie, Nick’s girlfriend and fellow social outcast. Valerie herself is implicated in the shooting, despite being shot herself protecting another student. The police, her school friends, even her own family, all start accusing her of being Nick’s acc ...more
Izzy
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very deep topic, especially with what's recently happened in America. I'm glad I chose to finally read this book after it had been sitting on my shelf for a while.
I didn't personally know any of the victims of the recent school shooting, but it hit me hard and I was left wondering for days about the victims and their families. So, I decided to read this book.

This book is different from any school shooting books I've heard of. It follows a girl named Valarie who created a 'Hate List' w
Zoe Kay
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I my main problem with this book is that I found Valerie very difficult to relate to and understand. At points I could connect with the character, but she seemed selfish and acted, in my opinion, unrealistically when faced with certain situations, like just (view spoiler) at the end of the book. She just seems off.

Nick was also very annoying to read about. She tried to highlight Nick's "good side," but he shot up a school. The author doesn't emphasiz
Jul 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andy
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not going to write massive amounts on this book, but put simply I would have easily given a 5 star review if it weren't for the confusing tense changes up until about half way through the novel.

The second book of the year to make me cry, multiple times in fact. The story becomes so much more that what is represented at first glance, and it went to places that really reached out to me.

Phenomenal read.
Mary
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First thought after I finished: Can everyone just go and read this book, please? Thank you.

I love it when a book creeps up on me and sucker punches me in the gut, yelling: “hello yes I am now in your top favourite books of all time and I don’t plan on leaving”. Hate List did this. I am in love with this book. I cried so much while reading it and it really struck a chord with me.

At first look, Hate List is a book about a school shooting and about the aftermath of that. On May 2nd 2007, Nick open
Paul Bryant
Feb 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Hate List is a YA novel about the aftermath of a school shooting. Okay, you do get the pre-math and the math itself, a little bit, but 90% is about the aftermath. I don't read YA novels because I'm an A and no longer Y but I read this one because life is pretty random, just like school shootings. One here, one there, who knows where the next one will be? All you know is, there will be a next one.

This is an anguished tale told in the voice of 16 or 17 year old Valerie, and she went out with this
Catherine ♡
Actual Rating: 4.25

Oh man, if I could describe this book in one word, it would be thought-provoking.

How many times have you wished for someone to die, or to feel the pain that you were feeling?

How many times have you been consumed with hatred or disgust or pain that you just wanted to end it - not only for yourself, but for everyone else too?

For me, too many times.

Jennifer Brown's Hate List is about the aftermath of a school shooting. Valerie, the main character, struggles with accepting hersel
Lynda
School shooting is a topic of intense interest around the world, particularly in the United States where most have taken place. A thorough study of all United States school shootings by the U.S. Secret Service warned against the belief that a certain "type" of student would be a perpetrator. While it may be simplistic to assume a straightforward "profile", the study did find certain similarities among the perpetrators. The researchers found that:
killers do not 'snap'. They plan. They acquire w
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Karin Librarian for TeensReadToo.com

Valerie is alone. Her family tiptoes around her, her friends act like she doesn't exist, and most of the people in the community think she should be dead.

Valerie's boyfriend, the person she trusted more than anyone else, shattered her life when he brought a gun to school and wounded several students and killed many others, including himself. Most people believe Valerie was involved, but she had no idea what Nick was planning.

After spending weeks in
UHS Honors Englis...: Hate List 1 11 Dec 01, 2017 08:30PM
Afternoon Literature: Hate List - Jennifer Brown | Discussion 2 4 Nov 11, 2017 03:54AM
Around the Year i...: Hate List, by Jennifer Brown 2 27 Oct 21, 2017 02:01PM
  • The Rules of Survival
  • Hold Still
  • Blue Plate Special
  • Right Behind You
  • The Mockingbirds (The Mockingbirds, #1)
  • Dirty Little Secrets
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • All Unquiet Things
  • Food, Girls, and Other Things I Can't Have
  • Rikers High
  • Freeze Frame
  • Flash Burnout
  • How to Save a Life
  • Want to Go Private?
Two-time winner of the Erma Bombeck Global Humor Award (2005 & 2006), Jennifer's weekly humor column appeared in The Kansas City Star for over four years, until she gave it up to be a full-time young adult novelist.

Jennifer's debut novel, HATE LIST (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, 2009) received three starred reviews and was selected as an ALA Best Book for Young Adults, a VOYA "Perfec
“Just like there's always time for pain, there's always time for healing.” 551 likes
“Life isn't fair. A fair's a place where you eat corn dogs and ride the ferris wheel.” 235 likes