Start by marking “The Greatest Quest” as Want to Read:
The Greatest Quest

The Greatest Quest

The Greatest Quest, by master storytellers Blaine and Brenton Yorgason, traces the lives of four college friends who, during World War II, set off on a grand quest - to find God and his only true church. Adapted from a true story, this dramatic novel explores the biblical evidence of Christ's true church. It also explores the motivations of the four friends: Jamie's single ...more
Published October 1st 1987 by Deseret Book Co

To ask other readers questions about The Greatest Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Greatest Quest

Pamela
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: FOR SURE!
Recommended to Pamela by: book club
I finished this one this morning. It is great! Everyone who is LDS needed to read this book. It helped me reolize how blessed I am to have been raised in the church. There are so many great things we take for granted as just being how things are, when they are why we belong to the only true church. It only took a few days to read and I am better for it. I HIGHLY recommend this one.
Mary Lou
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book about the 17 points of a true church and sought to find it. Quotes & thoughts:
God is the most successful creation. I too want to be successful. I can by following Gods advice.

God isn't always in the business of protecting. Instead he is usually teaching.

Recorded death of apostles: Judas-suicide, Phillip - crucified, Matthew - slain with axe, James - stones, Matthias - stoned, Andrew and Thaddeus - crucified, Mark -dragged to pieces, Peter - crucified upside down, Paul -beheade
Emy
Aug 31, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: religious, book-club
Started out sooooooo slow, but at the end I was excited to read it. Based on a true story of a group of young adults looking to find the true church. They hammered out a list of things from the Bible that the true church would have, and then they started attending different churches to see if they could find it. Similar to John Taylor's conversion to the LDS faith in Toronto thanks to Elder Parley P. Pratt, just set in the modern day! It did make me tear up thinking up those who are yearning aft ...more
Lara
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Book club selection for July.

It was a quick read, but one that helped me to learn something about my own religion.

The story is about 4 friends who are on a quest to find Christ's church on earth as he established it in the Bible, and is based on a true story.

In the end, they all come to find the same church on their separate quests. I especially liked the list at the end of the book with all the points of Christ's true church and the Biblical referencs.
Juli
Feb 17, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is a great reminder of things I am deeply grateful for in my life and the evidences of the true church are fabulous. The writing, however, leaves much to be desired. It's a worthwhile read as far as the impact goes for a fast-read. When it comes down to it, I would have much rather read a biographical history of the events instead of this cheesy ficticious version, but I can definitely see why this kind of telling can be very effective and I would still recommend it.
Laura Hall
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
This was a quick read about some young men who begin a search for the church of Jesus Christ on the earth today. Through their study, they find evidences of the true church of Christ and then search for a church today that had all of them. I enjoyed reading about their journeys and how they found answer's to their questions.
Jill
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this the first time about 24 years ago, but wanted to reread it because I remembered nothing! The dialogue is a bit cheesy for my taste, but I liked the actual quest to find Christ's true church.
Rich Lebaron
Sep 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What a great story...4 friends unite to see if they can find Christ's true church, In their study of the scriptures, they develop a list of 17 items that they believe Christ had in his church anciently, and therefore should be part of his church in these the latter days.
Julie Seamons
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Love this book because of the truths that are in it. It brought 4 friends to the same conclusion of where the true church of Jesus Christ was found. What are the chances, if all the truths are not found in one church.
Cathy
Jul 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Several have disputed the fact behind the story, but whether fictitious of factual, the thought provoking details help validate the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ as found in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Christina
A group of 4 college students compile a list of 'truths' they are looking for in a religion, and they set out to find that church. The story itself is just 'okay', but the list they come up with of characteristics of Christ's true church is fabulous!
Jill
Oct 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Far as I know, this is where "the 10 points of the true church" list came from. I read it years ago and really liked it. Typically I'm not a big fan of LDS fiction. I wouldn't say it's a great piece of lit, but I'd recommend it as a quick read.
Lori
Mar 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a good book for someone to read if they're investigating the church, in my opinion. It's about 4 friends looking for the true church, the church that Christ started while he was on the earth. Good book.
Valerie
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
The writing was really cheesy, BUT, I really like the story, especially since it was based on fact. I loved the facts straight from scripture. I knew those facts, but it is difficult to remember where all the proof of them are. In two words, faith building.
Kathy
Jun 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is the story of some college students who go on a search for the true church. by compiling a list of points that will be found in the true church through reading the bible. it has been several years since i read this but i really enjoyed it and recommend it.
Audrey
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
This book is about 4 friends searching for a church on earth today that most closely resembles the church that Christ set up during His mortal ministry. I enjoy the biblical references listed to support the friends evidences of what Christ's church would include based on His teachings.
Heather
Oct 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved reading this book as a teenager. It helped me understand and see some scripture passages in a way I'd never seen before in my teen years. This is a good book.
G
Oct 20, 2010 added it
G'ma sent it to us when I was a teen. Great book, I even marked a lot of in my Bible. :)
Kris
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The great story of how friends looked for years for the true church on the earth based on 17 characteristics.
Fritz
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life, being the first church book that my wife ever read, back in high school. I read it aloud to my kids this month, and they loved it. So did I.
Amanda
Oct 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this book!!

It is quick read (even for me), and interesting.
Marie Engberg
May 14, 2018
Lisa Arnell
Apr 13, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Blaine M. Yorgason was born in Sanpete County, Utah. He attended Brigham Young University and received both a BA and MA in History. Blaine and his wife Kathleen have 7 children and numerous grandchildren.