Start by marking “The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating” as Want to Read:
The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating

The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  8,137 ratings  ·  1,701 reviews
In a work that beautifully demonstrates the rewards of closely observing nature, Elisabeth Bailey shares an inspiring and intimate story of her uncommon encounter with a Neohelix albolabris —a common woodland snail.

While an illness keeps her bedridden, Bailey watches a wild snail that has taken up residence on her nightstand. As a result, she discovers the solace and sense of wonde
Published August 24th 2010 by Algonquin Books

To ask other readers questions about The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating

·  8,137 ratings  ·  1,701 reviews

Lena
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Elisabeth Tova Bailey was 34 when she was struck with a mysterious, flu-like illness while traveling in Switzerland. Upon her return home, the flu symptoms subsided, but her health did not return. She found herself so weak and dizzy she was barely able to sit up, let alone stand or care for herself, and her doctors had no idea why.

Bailey's life changed radically at that point, shrinking to a single room almost entirely cut off from the outside world. On impulse, a friend brought her
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
Solace in a snail....

I read this book - and I write this review in honor of Dov Zeller- who shares the same disease as Elizabeth Tova Bailey which often keeps him bedridden.

"Slime is the sticky essence of a gastropod's soul, the medium for everything in its
life: locomotion, defense, healing, courting, mating, and egg protection. Nearly 1/3
at my snails daily energy went into slime production. And rather than making a single batch of "all-purpose" slime, my snail had a species-specific re
Sally
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoirs
When Elisabeth Bailey is bedridden for months on end due to severe illness, it takes observing the slow, placid life of a snail to bring meaning back into her own.

This book was inspirational, informative, and carried an ephemeral air. It reminds me of why I first decided to study biology, before all the exams and bills and stress. Nature is simply fascinating if you take the time to look and the author managed to capture that fascination in words to share with the world.

This book is
♥ Marlene♥
Loved loved it.

First I have to tell you something about myself. I am known as the snail saviour. I am always telling everybody when they are visiting and tread in my garden, beware of my snails.

They are scared when they accidently do step on one because they know I will get my whip out!

A few weeks ago I removed most of the snails I could find from my back garden to my front garden, because I knew my da
Cherie
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I never thought reading a book about a snail could be such a rewarding experience. Who knew so many people had written poems about snails?
Who knew that snails have a life and intelligence? I do now. I know a lot about snails that I never knew before. Until this wonderful book came my way, I thought the only good snail was a dead one.

Come on, you know you think the same thing! Read this book, it may change your mind.

Elisabeth Tova Bailey's story about a garden snail,
Idarah
May 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Dear, dear gastropod...how was I to know that you are the epitome of elegance and strength of character?

Bailey develops a mysterious illness at the end of a trip to the Swiss Alps. While convalescing on her farm in Maine, she is trying to adjust to the sudden loss of control in her life. Practically incapacitated, and depending on the assistance of a caregiver and irregular visits from friends, she soon succumbs to depression and the monotony of the sick bed. A friend decides to brin
Dov Zeller
The other day I was telling a sick friend about this book and I told her the author has an illness that sounds very much like ours and my friend said, 'no wonder she can hear the snails eating!' Because some people with this illness have chronic migraine symptoms including horrific sound sensitivity (which I sometimes call bionic hearing.)

As it turns out, the author does have the same illness as I do. The poorly named Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. As Laura Hillenbrand, author of sea bisc
Lisa
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you need to slow down.
(Don't we all?)

If you want to marvel at the little wonders of the natural world.
(Slime and tenatacles that taste and love darts, no lie.)

If you cherish moments of peace strewn among the madness of a work day.
(Five minutes on the metro is enough.)

My own brain is chugging along too slowly to properly explain why you should read this tale of a bed-bound woman and her foray into the world of snails. All I know is that every time I p
Sue
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sue by: John Speer
I allowed myself a long and slow read for this small memoir of one year during a woman's lengthy, 20 year convalescence from an unknown virus. That year was made special by the presence of a snail brought in from the woods outside by a visitor. The author, Elisabeth Tova Bailey, was unable to live in her own home at that time, was feeling alienated from life, her surroundings, and felt isolated. This small creature led her to a year of observation, learning, fostering, and companionship. I learn ...more
Mir
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Smoothly written, mildly interesting meditation on invalidism.
Mysteriously and drastically ill, the author observes the behavior of a snail a friend has left in some flowers by her bedside.

Then, I must confess I got bored and did not finish the book, but I think that's just me. This isn't really my kind of book. The friend who gave it to me liked a lot and read it multiple times.
Almeta
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Almeta by: Artfullyoung1

Because of this, I have a fondness for biology books like Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body and The Lives of a Cell: Notes of a Biology Watcher, which do not read like textbooks; in which the author does not talk condescendingly and chapters read like an intriguing story book, with pictures.

I’m pretty sure that author:I have often stated that I need to get my larnin’ in disguise; I need to be tricked into it.

Because of this, I have a fondness for biology books like

I’m pretty sure that author:Elisabeth Tova Bailey never intended to be a biology instructor, and I’m real sure that I never intended to learn all that much about a land snail.

This little book makes you want to learn what next happens to The Snail and how it carries on its daily job of living. Its position as a hospice companion was essential, and touched my heart as easily as any furry animal may have.
Lara Maynard
What a lovely book. No wonder it has fans. And it spoke to me very personally.

The author fell ill after a mysterious infection on a trip to Europe, leaving her housebound with chronic illness. I, too, was left with chronic illness by a viral infection, and I deeply empathize with the physical, emotional, mental, spiritual, and social implications of being chronically ill, including the isolation factor. More than that, I've had a lifelong love of bugs and little crawly, creepy creatu
Celia
Elisabeth Tova Bailey is the strongest and finest person/author I have yet to encounter. This her memoir, is also an educational document on the snail. Elisabeth suffers from an extremely debilitating condition rendering her to bed all of the time. Enter the snail. I think it got into her room on the clothes of a visitor. The snail made its home in a violet flower pot. And then Elisabeth began to watch and learn. The snail slept with her during the day and kept her company while she suffered her ...more
Tara
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ecolit
"Humanity is exalted not because we are so far above other living creatures, but because knowing them well elevates the very concept of life."--Edward O. Wilson

This quote is an epigraph to one of the chapters. Oh, how I love the quote and this little gem of a book. I'm thrilled to see it has over 3k reviews and won two awards. It's beautifully packaged with soft pencil drawings reminiscent of the 1970s and telling quotes about snails and nature at the start of each small chapter. ...more
Aylin
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I accidentally read this. Downloaded a sample to my Kindle> liked it> bought the book to read later but just wanted to read a few more pages> read it all.

This is a quiet, intimate book about a woman and her land snail. The youthful author contracts some unknown and completely debilitating virus while vacationing abroad. This virus changes her body permanently. One day she is brimming with joyeux de vivre and the next day she is bedridden, betrayed by her body and literally w
Suzanne (Chick with Books) Yester
Is it a memoir or a beautiful piece of nature writing? It is both, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading about a Neohelix albolabris, the common woodland snail, and encourage you to pick this book up and escape into a world you may never have known to exist...

Elisabeth Tova Bailey found herself suffering from a debilitating unknown illness that left her with severe neurological symptoms and virtually bedridden all the time. As her illness progressed, and as she had to move out of her farm
Diane Barnes
I picked up this book because it seemed to be a quick read (190 pages) while I was waiting for another download for a library book to be available. Wow! What a surprise. Who knew snails could be so facinating? The author is a victim of a strange disease that keeps her bedridden. A friend brought her a pot of violets she had dug up in the woods, and there just happened to be a snail in residence. She becomes fascinated with his movements and motives and begins her research. They are intelligent l ...more
Psbenjamin
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Exquisitely written, beautiful narrative. I would happily be a snail in my next life....
Waverly Fitzgerald
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The most soothing book I’ve ever read. It moves at a snail’s pace. Small in size, lyrical in language, precise in observation, delicate in articulation.

The author, Elizabeth Tova Bailey, is bedridden due to a mysterious auto-immune disease. A friend bringers her a flowerpot containing a wild violet from the nearby woods, and along with the plant, a snail. Bailey watches the snail and becomes fascinated by its journeys. Up and down the pot to sip the water that collects in the saucer.
Corey
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir
The writing and the premise of this book were great but the execution left a lot to be desired. I sympathized with the author’s horrible debilitating condition and felt the book offered a lot of insight about disability. However, the snail facts felt choppy and disconnected and I wish they had been incorporated into the narrative a bit better. The constant personification of the snail made me feel like the author kind of didn’t understand the animal very well. For instance, constantly feeling ba ...more
Karen Mace
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful little book! I read this as I have a chronic illness too, which the author uses as her theme of how it makes time stand still and makes you notice the little things while you're bedbound, not knowing where the illness will take you next. In her case, the little things was a woodland snail that a friend got for her as company. And the more she's restricted in what she can do each day, the more she watches what the snail gets up to and it's a fascinating study beautifully written ...more
Jeanette
May 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Uplifting observations make this a comfortable, peaceful read that also conveys some practical life lessons. Very easy, quick little read that I enjoyed.
Debbie "DJ"
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, fiction
I really enjoyed this book. It's the story of a woman who becomes extremely ill after a trip overseas, and is "gifted" a snail. As she is confined to her bed she begins to pay attention to what her little snail is up to. What ensues is a fascinating look at a snails life. I will never look at a snail the same way again. Their little lives are designed to perfection, and they can teach us all to slow down a little, and smell the roses (or snails)!
Connie G
When Elisabeth Tova Bailey returns from a vacation with a debilitating disease, she is confined to bedrest. A friend found a woodland snail and a bunch of field violets in the Maine woods to cheer her up. The snail was soon transferred from a flowerpot to a terrarium full of woodland plants, with a shell holding water and mushrooms for food. Bailey found watching the snail to be fascinating and relaxing:

"Watching it glide along was a welcome distraction and provided a sort of meditat
Kandice
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a lovely book. I have always had a thing for snails and slugs so when I happened across this title I bought it without looking into what it was. I’m glad I didn’t because if I were to describe it to you it would sound dull. It was not.

The author contracts a mysterious, debilitating disease and is prostrate for months on end, needing care from those around her and unable to move from her bed without assistance. She doesn't dwell on her disease or personal circumstances, but y
Lesley Moseley
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I too have a recurring need for 'downtime', so could already emphasize with the author Elisabeth Tova Bailey.. I lie on my bed and look at the leaves changing colours, listen to the birds, and read.. This exquisite, well researched , well written, little book, was just the shot..Nature lovers will thrill to her close observations.
Susan Ideus
Sep 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
"Survival often depends on a specific focus: A relationship, a belief, or a hope balanced on the edge of possibility. Or something more ephemeral: the way the sun passes through the hard seemingly impenetrable glass of a window and warms the blanket, or how the wind, invisible but for its wake, is so loud one can hear it through the insulated walls of a house."

The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating records a year in the life of author Elisabeth Tova Bailey—a year in which she struggled for her survi
Julia
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm just enthralled, and suggest everyone go to www.elisabethtovabailey.net to learn more about the author and this slim volume of pure inspiration. Thanks to Heather Sturm for bringing this to the attention of our book club--I plan to buy my own copy very soon.

This observation states my views most clearly:

"Like Seabiscuit's Laura Hillenbrand, this author is at the house-bound, often bed-bound extreme of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (brain stem inflammation), a condition similar to Lyme mockingly labe
Shruti
Oct 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
A great book for someone who is chronically ill or wants a unique perspective on what it's like. I really identified with the main character in this book. As someone who is frequently stuck in bed with a chronic illness, I found a lot of not only similar sentiments in the narrator but also inspiring thoughts.

I never thought that I would enjoy a book about snails so much, and, to be perfectly honest, I think I took one star off because I got bored with the snail topic after awhile.
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animalia, memoirish
Having a favorite animal is very childish, isn't it? When I was a kid I was nicknamed Turtle because of how slow I ran. My dad, who coached me in softball, used to say that I was the only one who could hit it over the fence and still get a triple. I owned that nickname and learned to draw both realistic and cartoon turtles and often received turtle items as gifts. Even my senior year in high school, my first boyfriend made me a metal cast turtle that I still have.

There are kids in my second gra

• The Bluebird Effect: Uncommon Bonds with Common Birds
  • The Animal Manifesto: Six Reasons for Expanding Our Compassion Footprint
  • The Illustrated Insectopedia
  • Winter World: The Ingenuity of Animal Survival
  • Dawn Light: Dancing with Cranes and Other Ways to Start the Day
  • Eels: An Exploration, from New Zealand to the Sargasso, of the World's Most Mysterious Fish
  • Darwin's Island: The Galapagos in the Garden of England
  • Kissed by a Fox: And Other Stories of Friendship in Nature
  • Spineless Wonders: Strange Tales from the Invertebrate World
  • Flyaway: How A Wild Bird Rehabber Sought Adventure and Found Her Wings
  • Sweetness and Light: The Mysterious History of the Honeybee
Elisabeth Tova Bailey’s essays and short stories have been published in The Missouri Review, Northwest Review, and the Sycamore Review. She has received several Pushcart Prize nominations and a Notable Essay Listing in Best American Essays. She lives in Maine.
“Illness isolates; the isolated become invisible; the invisible become forgotten. But the snail....the snail kept my spirit from evaporating.” 28 likes
“Survival often depends on a specific focus: A relationship, a belief, or a hope balanced on the edge of possibility. Or something more ephemeral: the way the sun passes through the hard seemingly impenetrable glass of a window and warms the blanket, or how the wind, invisible but for its wake, is so loud one can hear it through the insulated walls of a house.” 23 likes