Start by marking “Spork” as Want to Read:
Spork

Spork

His mum is a spoon. His dad is a fork. And he's a bit of both. He's Spork!

Spork sticks out in the regimented world of the cutlery drawer. The spoons think he's too pointy, while the forks find him too round. He never gets chosen to be at the table at mealtimes until one day a very messy ... thing arrives in the kitchen who has never heard of cutlery customs. Will Spork fin
Published September 1st 2010 by Kids Can Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Spork, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spork

Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Look at poor Spork. Doesn't this make your heart melt for him?
 photo Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 5.13.28 PM_zpszjuvrmky.png

This is a sweet picture book about a child that doesn't fit in because he is made up of half of his mother and his father. Like some interracial, where they are the only one in the neighborhood like them, you can feel like you don't fit in.

And of course, there is a place for everyone, as evidence by the ending of this book.
 photo Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 3.57.54 PM_zpsl6akwii0.png

Great book to teach about being different, and finding your place.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book availa
David Schaafsma
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
I read Spork because I really like picture books written by Kyo Maclear and picture books illustrated by Isabelle Arsenault, and this seems to be a very popular one, but I like it less than others from both of them; for instance, their book Virginia Wolf.

This book is about a spork, the offspring of a spoon and fork. They refer to this as a book based on “multi-cutlery,” which I love, I admit it, but the rest of the book is pretty straightforwardly about tolerance for differences. Not quite edgy
Idarah
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014, picture
I have a huge author crush on Kyo Maclear! This book is another favorite, just like Virginia Wolf. A children's book that deals with not fitting into social labels, it hit home personally as a biracial person. I would have loved to read something like this as a kid.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This is a book dealing with multi-race or multi-ethnic families. In this book they use cutlery to present this notion. Spork has part of his mom, a spoon, and his dad, a fork. He is never picked when someone sets the table, he never gets the bubble bath after a meal and he is shunned by both the spoons and the forks. This story highlights that there is a place in the world for everyone. You just have to find it. Luckily for Spork, when neither the forks or spoons could handle the baby, he got th ...more
Kathryn
Feb 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I really wanted to love this book. I like the concept of showing a child who is a mix of both parents, with a twist--they're cutlery! When your parents are a fork and a spoon, you end up being a spork! I could see where bi-racial children might be a target audience here.

That said, I think this would only be useful in certain cases. I certainly hope that as a society we are getting to the point where a child of mixed races does not feel so left out all the time! :-( Some children who already feel
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Spork feels lonely and excluded for being seen as too round or too pointy. Where does he fit in? How can he make a difference?

In a world surrounded by spearing forks and stirring spoons, Spork will have readers hoping and rooting for him to find his purpose and path to the kitchen table!

I just adored this book’s simple yet brilliant way of addressing multiculturalism or “multi-cutlery”. :) Spork made me smile, think, and clear a spot in my silverware drawer!

A wonderful book that presents a meani
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more Picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Spork has a spoon for a mom and a fork for a daddy. He tries to fit in but can't satisfy both the forks and spoons. He fights feelings of loneliness and exclusion as he is left in the silverware drawer. Will he ever have a use?

The art was very monotone which was not my favorite but at the same time fit the world of silverware. When the red splatters came I was very intrigued as was my nephew. The multi-media art style is not my favo
Jeremy
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is another one of those: little so-and-so was different than all the other whatzits, he never fit in no matter how hard he tried, it made him sad, until one day his uniqueness proved to be useful, and suddenly he felt proud of his difference.

I know these books are for kids, I know the most important lessons are often simple and cliche, but for the LOVE OF GOD, it's been done! Almost 1/3 of the children's stories I read are this exact same story.

We get it, sometimes being different can be u
La Coccinelle
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
What a cute little book! To adult readers, it would be pretty clear that we're not talking about cutlery, but about multi-racial families. But it's a great parallel, and addresses some of the issues that kids in such families might face.

I wasn't 100% sold on the illustrations, but only because I'm not sure how appealing they'd be to the target age group. The book is fairly monochromatic, with a rather rough look to it. Spork, however, is adorable.

Overall, this is a cute book with a great message
Tatiana
Jun 21, 2012 rated it liked it
This little fellow is a bit of both his mum, a spoon, and his dad, a fork: he’s Spork! Myo Maclear’s Spork is a cutlery ode to children of mixed ethnicities, highlighting how there is a place in the world for everyone. You just have to find it. I think it is important to help children explore how we are all different. Many books tackle this topic. What was refreshing about this one was that the characters were inanimate objects, so it can prompt a discussion on multi-racial families or it can be ...more
Kaethe Douglas
Jun 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kaethe by: Elizabeth Bird
June 26, 2016
April 13, 2014
You can read it as the straightforward story of a being who's a little different and doesn't fit in. You can also read it as the story of finding acceptance with self and with society as a bi-racial being. You could extrapolate it on out as a story about anyone who contains two distinctly different traditions of any kind. But it's amusing on the most basic literal utensil level, which enables one to appreciate the others.

"Spork!" should be the Tick's new battle cry.

Lib
KC
Well done story about diversity, acceptance, and individuality.
Sammm
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People around kids! Read it with them! =D
A digitized ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

OMeffingG! This is the cutest book I received via NetGalley so far! So Glad I was approved a copy that I got to read it! 500000000000000*N-star if I could help it! So darn adorable!

I had no idea I'd be encountering Author Kyo Maclear again so soon! The first time I got to read her work was just a month ago, again, thanks to NetGalley: The Liszts by Kyo Maclear. I find it to be pretty awesome already (my review), bu
Peacegal
Mar 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I plucked this one from the library cart because of my undying love for anthropomorphized inanimate objects. (I probably watched "the Brave Little Toaster" too many times as a kid.) I greatly enjoyed the expressions on the faces of the various kitchen utensils.

The illustrations are great, but the story loses steam by the end.
Laura McLoughlin
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A little strange, but a nice message about everyone (or everything, in this case) having a place to belong. The illustrations of the Spork and other residents of the cutlery drawer were very cute, the baby, however, was a bit on the creepy side.
Zaz
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The story is about being different and not fitting. But good news, someone can find you perfect, even if you're half spoon, half fork! I enjoyed the story and the colors, the end was also a nice one for a picture book.
Timothy
Sep 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: one-sitting
A sad excuse of a book next to "Spoon".
Tasha
Aug 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Spork’s mother is a spoon and his dad is a fork. In the world of the kitchen, there was very little mixing between different types of cutlery. Sure there were some rebels, but most of them stuck to their own kind. But no one else was quite like Spork with his mix of spoon and fork characteristics. To make matters worse, Spork was never chosen to be used at the table. That is until one day, when the messy thing arrived who had no respect for cutlery and didn’t know how to use them correctly. The ...more
Canadian Children's Book Centre
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ccbc-awards
Reviewed by Ken Kilback

Spork sticks out. The product of an intercutlery marriage, Spork is a little bit spoonish and a little bit forkish, but not enough of either. He is tired of being asked, “What are you anyway?” And he’s especially tired of never being set for the table. When he decides to try being a single thing, the forks don’t like it when he looks too round, and the spoons don’t like it when he looks too pointy. What is he going to do? Then one day, a Messy Thing arrives, something that
Sarah Sammis
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sarah by: Natasha Maw
Spork by Kyo Maclear and illustrated by Isabelle Arsenault is about a young runcible spoon who doesn't feel like he fits in. His mother is spoon and dad is a fork. He's the only kid in the silverware drawer with one of each for parents. It takes a while for Spork to find his place in the drawer, but he does and it's a cute ending.

As spoons and forks look so different, Spork looks at blended families. Spork has his dad's tines and his mom's bowl shaped head. He reminds me of so many of my childre
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Did you ever feel like you just didn't fit in? Poor Spork is one of those characters. His mum is a spoon and his dad is a fork, but Spork is neither a fork or a spoon. He just never seems to be picked to be used at the dinner table. Then one day this messy creature arrives at the dinner table and none of the other utensils are able to calm the mess. However, Spork is the perfect utensil for the messy creature to use which ends up being a baby who has never used utensils before.

Spork is a wonder
Kimberly Robello
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
My 7-yr-old loves this book and wants me to read it over and over again. I had to renew it from the library and I hate to read books more than once.

At first, I didn't understand why he loved this book so much. My son is a mixture of many different races, so I wondered if he related to it unconsciously because the spork is a mix of fork and spoon.

I think the author is of mixed race or her kids are so it makes sense that she would write this book.

The spork tries to find his place in the world and
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Spork's mum is a spoon and his dad is a fork...so he is a spork. Utensils usually do not mix, so Spork feels like he doesn't belong. One day, everything changes. A messy thing comes into the kitchen and the standard spoons and forks are not right for the messy thing's needs. Can Spork be what the messy thing needs?

Maclear's varied sentence structure, font style, and word choice add meaning to this humorous and heartwarming story. Children will be able to relate to Spork because many children str
Rebecca
Jan 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Oh, I wanted to adore this and its charming illustrations, but it fell a bit short for me. The message about being "mixed race" cutlery and not fitting in was hammered home, the text was quite wordy ("twirled noodles around in complicated circles like rhythmic gymnasts"), and the "mess" is red and looked like blood to me. But for those who love sporks...now there is a book. :)
Gloria
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This is a lovely picture book that introduces the concept of diversity and acceptance in a fun, accessible way. Kids will quickly grasp the issue with spork, who is neither fork nor spoon, and empathize with his desire to fit in. They will cheer when he finally claims his rightful place at the table! #NetGalley
Edward Sullivan
Jul 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I had hoped this book would answer my long-held question about why the spork was called a spork and not a foon. Alas, that mystery remains. Unable to fit in with either forks or spoons, little spork stakes at its own identity. Enjoyable.
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, children-s, picture
I really like the message of this story, though I didn't love the illustrations. A solid selection for K-5 school collections and one that school counselors will also embrace for its message on finding yourself and accepting others.
Stefanie Kellum
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
*I read a digital ARC of this title from the publisher via NetGalley.
Claudia Sanchez
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-lit
A D O R A B L E !
R.J.
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Clever exploration of hapa/mestizaje/mulatez/betwixt and betweenness.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Adding official videos for Goodreads Authors? 6 24 Oct 27, 2016 04:48PM

• Spoon
  • Square Cat
  • Flora's Very Windy Day
  • The Thingamabob
  • I'm a Shark
  • Never Take a Shark to the Dentist (and Other Things Not to Do)
  • Grandma's Gloves
  • Soup Day
Kyo Maclear is a children’s author, novelist and essayist. She was born in London, England and moved to Toronto at the age of four.

Kyo is the author of several critically-acclaimed children’s books including: Spork (2010) and Virginia Wolf (2012), both illustrated by Isabelle Arsenault; Mr. Flux (2013), illustrated by Matte Stephens; Julia, Child (2014), illustrated by Julie Morstad; The Specific