Start by marking “Martial Law Babies” as Want to Read:
Martial Law Babies

Martial Law Babies

Award-winning graphic novelist Arnold Arre takes us on a nostalgic trip through some of the Philippines' most colorful and compelling eras - from the rigidness of pre-EDSA Manila to the dizzying, commercially-intoxicated world of the new millenium.

Allan and his friends are Martial Law Babies: born during the Marcos regime, raised by TV, and shaped by 80s music. Their ambit
Paperback, 2008, 286 pages
Published 2008 by Nautilus Comics

To ask other readers questions about Martial Law Babies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Martial Law Babies

K.D. Absolutely
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book almost brought me to a TV-interview at GMA7 a couple of weeks back. I could not believe my luck but after I had my haircut and wore my best smart yet casual attire, two hours before the interview, it was cancelled. Hah, not yet my time to be on a television show, I guess.

My eldest brother was the first to have read, a few years ago, this graphic novel. Not my copy though. I think her friend convinced him to read this by lending him her copy. This book, according to that friend of his,
Apokripos
A graphic novel that's coincidentally a fitting read while the nation celebrates the Day of Independence. Another enjoyable and rewarding read from the genuis of Arnold Arre! Do yourself a favor and read this. It made me think of and reflect upon points in my life, and despite the book's generation gap, I easily related to the protagonists' dilemmas.
DC
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I dare say that I am not a Martial Law Baby, having been born after the Marcos era. It does not deter me, however, from enjoying this work.

This book is beautiful, and almost reminiscent of After Eden for style, at the very least. I enjoyed the art, as well as the pacing of the story. There are also bits and pieces of interesting information-- from events and happenings during the Martial Law times, to viewpoints and opinions on the issues that most probably spiced up conversations in those days.
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
A graphic novel, written by a Filipino, which begins with the protagonists (classmates and friends) as children during the time of the Marcos martial law regime, onwards to their adolescent years and young adulthood. A friend, about my age (she was about 12 when martial law was declared) briefly lent me this book as she said she had a "shock of recognition" while reading it.

I didn't have any. When martial law was declared, my family was already residing in a small island town in Quezon Province
Jedi JC Daquis
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Martial Law Babies recounts the lives of children who grew up during the martial law period of the Marcos regime. The story unfolds in a retrospect of two struggling protagonists, Rebecca and Allan, who with their friends have their own snippets of life to tell. Arnold Arre's work is a multi thematic graphic novel which scans through (but has never gone deep enough) a wide variety of themes: the idea of home, degredation of popular culture, loving and letting go, Filipino diaspora and others, ma ...more
Tays
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
It may not be as mournful as Russel Molina's 12:01, but this book is equally as touching. At such a chaotic time, this title chose to show a little less turmoil and a little more tenderness.

Martial Law Babies circle around Allan and his friends who were born during Martial Law. As a reader, Arnold Arre took me into a ride as I see how they grow up into men and women. It's probably nostalgic for those who were born on the same year as the characters were. But for me who only knew of what that pe
Benito Jr.
Dec 11, 2010 rated it liked it
This well-observed, sometimes piercingly nostalgic, and occasionally infuriating -- it's sometimes reminiscent of the same fascinatingly insular and sheltered world examined in Miguel Syjuco's Ilustrado -- graphic novel is a labor of love. Arre takes his readers through the disappearance of Voltes V from Philippine TV screens, UP Diliman hijinks, and the lovelorn protagonist's frustrations in the advertising world. It may devolve into St. Elmo's Fire-type melodrama towards the end, but its hones ...more
Maria Ella
Lukewarm feeling, just like how he described his generation, born in the middle of martial law, so he was too young to understand the human condition. He became a yuppie post-EDSA revolution, so he was too old to rant on the societal condition.

I guess the character and I are both the same - in my case, of all Arre's works, this is where I find myself not raving about his creation.
Eustacia Tan
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Found this graphic novel while looking for books for the South East Asian Reading Challenge and since I haven’t read a graphic novel for the SEA Reading Challenge before, I figured this would be fun.

Martial Law Babies follows a group of friends who were born during the Marcos regime. There were quite a few of them, but I’ll be brutally honest and say that I only remembered three of them: Allan, his best friend Rebecca, his crush Marissa, and their friend Carol. There were a few more but for some
Jayson Troy
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The good thing about this book is it enable us to get a glimpse about what did the 80's generation see and how did they live their lives according to their own era. I think, one of the great capabilities of artists is they can serve as a mirror to society for us to understand better ourselves. We grew up in different eras and we are influenced on how does the media and technology affect our lives. Political situation and leaders of the country also plays a great role on how they implement rules ...more
Lynne
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I feel sad about this book.

And I guess that's okay.

This book is not exactly as poignant as Molina's 12:01, as this book is in a different timeline. Our timeline.

Backlog:
I've been seeing Arnold Arre's work since elementary school. And now that I'm a fresh grad trying to prove myself to the world, 0nly now had I been able to have the (hard earned) money to buy the books I couldn't when I was younger. Thank God for events like Komikon and Komiket, I was able to find Mr Arre's books. (Too bad on Aft
Teri Pardue
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
The was my second of Arre's graphic novels, and after spending weeks trying to track it down, I was not disappointed!
The book starts off a bit slow, and I was having trouble keeping some of the characters straight (they weren't introduced and some of their names weren't spoken for quite awhile, I ended up having to go back and reread the beginning once I knew who everyone was). That said, I loved the story! It was thoughtful and interesting. It was a good mix of what life was like specifically f
Faith Yangyang
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Speaking from a so-called millennial's point of view, reading this novel not only gave me an idea regarding Generation X and how life was lived back then, but also real life, relatable issues of young adults trying to make it through life somehow.

Arre gives a wonderful insight as to how things were before the advent of technology kicked in and monopolized most of our time and leisure. It also efficiently depicts how swift time passes by and how inevitable changes are.

It surprised me somehow th
Honeypie
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012

"good read"

I'm a big fan of love stories, so I was A LITTLE disappointed that the ending kept me hanging. I'm not really into open endings, actually. (But that's another story).

I like the message of the graphic novel. But maybe another title would be more apt than Martial Law Babies. Something lighter, maybe. Since it was a fairly easy reading.

It's like a looong essay. Or a super-short novel. Something you could read in a newspaper.

Funny how you're blessed with national pride only when you're t

Erika
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of those books that leave you lying on your bed, staring at the ceiling and silently asking yourself, "What now?". It makes you ponder on your own generation (I belong to generation Y) and ask if there is something you're collectively fighting for; even on a microscopic, personal level, you wonder: What do I really want out of life?

Trying to be too funny in some parts, but maybe that's just characteristic of that period. But overall, it's a good read. I wish I or someone could and would mak
Anne
Nov 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I loved how solid Allan's group was and how Arre was able to tell a poignant story revolving quite a number of characters. There were some moments when I felt disjointed with the little short extras in between the main story. I kinda felt like the story was a bit too long, but I liked how Arre was able to tie things up in the end. And even if this graphic novel paid homage to the 70s, I was still able to relate a lot to it, even if I'm an 80s kid. :)
Matthew
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could have stolen this from the school library.

Got me feeling emotional in the end. I cut class so I can finish reading it inside the library because the librarian won't let me take it home because it's finals.
Carlo Basbas
Feb 20, 2017
Jaezell
Mar 29, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Arnold Arre (born September 2, 1971 in Metro Manila, Philippines) is a Filipino comic book writer, artist and self-taught animator best known for his graphic novels The Mythology Class (1999) and Ang Mundo ni Andong Agimat (2006).

Arnold Arre has won National Book Awards from the Manila Critics Circle for his graphic novels The Mythology Class (1999), a four-part action-adventure miniseries and Tri