Start by marking “Blood Moon (Inspector Challis, #5)” as Want to Read:
Blood Moon (Inspector Challis, #5)

Blood Moon (Inspector Challis #5)

Challis and his team investigate the brutal beating of the chaplain of a prestigious school and the murder of the woman in charge of punishing local land use violations. But will Hal Challis and Ellen Destry’s new romantic relationship interfere with their work?
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Moon

Jenny
Blood Moon is the fifth book in the Inspector Challis series by Garry Disher. During schoolies week on the Mornington Peninsular, a School's chaplain was beating. Inspector Challis and Ellen Destry is on the case to find out who did it and during the investigation, a murder was committed. Readers of Blood Moon will continue to follow Inspector Challis and Sergeant Ellen Destry investigation into the killing and the assault on the chaplain.

Blood Moon is the four book I have read in this series, a
Lewis Weinstein
Several years ago, on a trip to Australia, I read some local authors. I couldn't get absorbed by Tom Winton, but Garry Disher turned out to be a really good storyteller. His books tended to be expensive in the U.S., but now they are on kindle.

Blood Moon starts out slowly, with many different characters going through their daily lives. Of course some turn out to be criminals and their victims. Others are the engaging and sometimes quite flawed detectives of the Waterloo force, all of whom I remem
David
Aug 21, 2011 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Hal Challis series gets bigger and better with each outing. I love the character development and the personality flaws in the good guys, who are far from the stereotypical perfect crusaders against crime. A well-written, multi-layered Australian police procedural with a definite dose of grit and realism.
Karen
Mar 17, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Hal Challis series is really growing into something particularly interesting, as well as entertaining. There's a distinct edge to this story, there are obviously some issues which the author wants to talk about, and he's cleverly worked a number of elements of social observation and commentary into what is, overall, a good solid police procedural.

Hal and Ellen's romantic interest at the end of the last book has developed into a live-in relationship. Which has a number of complications - not
Spuddie
Another enjoyable entry in this Australian series (I'm using it for my 2015 book challenge for the 'read a book set in a place you want to visit' category) in which DI Hal Challis has his personal life complicated by setting up house with his Sergeant, Ellen Destry. Trying to keep this under wraps in a working situation as insular as a small CIU office is more than challenging, especially during the course of several complicated investigations.

I haven't read any of this author's stand-alone nove
Cathleen
Aug 20, 2010 Cathleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
He's become one of my favorite mystery writers. He writes police procedurals set in Australia, usually Victoria, and the character development over time is rich and complicated.
Tony
BLOOD MOON. (2009). Garry Disher. **.
The reviews were favorable, but I just could not get into it.
Noreen
Feb 12, 2017 Noreen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book - one of the better ones invited the series
Noreen
Mar 07, 2017 Noreen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter Anderson
May 05, 2015 Peter Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Up until now I have rated Garry Disher books as five stars; however, I did not find Blood Moon as satisfying as all the previous Challis and Destry novels. The writing is still the same very high standard but there was something about the plot that didn't seem as satisfying. Maybe its because I recently finished Chain of Evidence and went straight onto this book. Usually I like to read several other authors before I come back to the next book in a series - who knows.

Blood Moon opens with an intr
Kathleen Hagen
Blood Moon, by Gary disher, B-plus, narrated by Colin McPhillamy, produced by Recorded Books, downloaded from audible.com.

In this entry from his popular Challis/Destry series, passion complicates matters for the two Australian officers. Now that they are lovers, Detective
Inspector Hal Challis and Sergeant Ellen Destry must keep theiraffair secret, for romantic relationships are strictly forbidden by department regulations.
Trying to keep their professional and personal lives separate, they invest
Ed
Jun 19, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#5 in the Hal Challis series. Australian police inspector Challis has been living with Sergeant Ellen Destry since he returned from his father's funeral, Chain of Evidence (2007). When he is confronted about this breach of regulations by Superintendent McQuarrie, he expects one of them to be fired or transferred to "Outer Woop-Woop". However, McQuarrie was impressed by Ellen's handling of a child molestation case while Challis was away and proposes promoting her to Senior Sergeant and being put ...more
Rob Kitchin
I started Blood Moon three times and on the third go I still put it to one side twice to read other books. I tend to read fiction exclusively, so this is a clear sign of ambivalence. I did, however, eventually get to the end. It’s a book that I should have liked – a relatively big cast of actors, multiple story lines, police procedural bleeding through into everyday lives of coppers – but I just never really connected with the story. I’m not really sure why – the writing was competent although n ...more
Guy Salvidge
Sep 07, 2012 Guy Salvidge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Garry Disher novel. I'm a fan. This is the fifth or sixth in the Challis/Destry series, but it didn't seem to matter that I hadn't read the earlier novels. This is a standard police procedural set in country Victoria, but it's a well written novel and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Fast paced without being outlandish in any way, I read it in less than 24 hours, and now I'm keen for some more Garry Disher. Apparently he's written more than a dozen crime novels and perhaps 40 books in total. T ...more
Jen
Jul 23, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, australian
Latest in the Hal Challis crime novels set on the Mornington Peninsula at Waterloo. Hal and Ellen Destry are giving living together a go - a young girl recognizes her rapist from last years' Schoolies and decides to get revenge (great revenge too) - a controlling husband follows his wife as she tries to do her job of Planning infringement officer - Pam Murphy finds a new copper attractive and starts a fling with him (with disastrous consequences for him when he posts nasty photos on the internet ...more
Tyson Adams
Aug 11, 2012 Tyson Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm known for being on the cutting edge, for having my finger on the pulse; for example, I just bought a smart phone. It isn't really surprising to learn that I've only recently discovered Gary Disher's work, despite him having been an award winning author since before I entered highschool.

The first novel I read of Gary's was Wyatt, after hearing him speak at the Sydney Writers' Festival. I enjoyed that novel and now have plenty of good novels to catch up on.

This is my first Challis and Destry n
Martina
Feb 22, 2016 Martina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Garry Disher's Hall Challis #5. I love this series set in Australia. And Disher is such a nice person!

He did an event at our bookstore some time ago along with Cara Black! What a night THAT was. We read The Dragon Man with the Mystery Book Group. Just a terrific series!

After I started reading this, I realized that I'd read part of the book in 2009. Still this is an important book in the series bringing Hal, Ellen, and Pam in particular into sharper focus. Scobie and Tank have their moments too.
Ed Napiorkowski
Jul 25, 2015 Ed Napiorkowski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another thoroughly entertaining read and easy to award four stars. Though a self contained book for those who has been there from the start it is great to be rewarded by character development and interactions building from the earlier stories in the series. The author spins a good yarn (tells a good story) and portrays people in an honest fashion I find refreshing. Multiple themes and character interactions, plots not overly complex and therefore believable, simple honest story telling. I do enj ...more
CriminalRepurcussions
Brilliant. One of the best I've read.
For this series, which I recommend you read from the first book The Dragon Man, right through, you'll enjoy the locations. Disher writes "locally" : the Mornington Peninsula region of Victoria.

This story is one of the best in his Inspector Challis series, and you can picture yourself right there, and feel every parent's dread about the mayhem of Schoolies Week.

Disher is one of Aust's leading crime writers, with awards to his name.
In my view, Australia's best
Our Library Mornington
This is the fitfth book in the Challis and Destry series.

It is set on the Mornington Peninsula, so the Library mentioned is one of our own branches. It is interesting to try to figure out exactly where you are geographically, comparing the township of Waterloo in the novel to Hastings (both historial battles). There are several story strands intertwined masterfully, the abusive husband, schoolies, drugs, work relationships, lust and romance.

I would recommend beginning with the furst in the serie
Dana Woodaman
A new to me mystery writer that the blubs compare to Ian Rankin among others. This book is set in Australia, and while I like the characters and the general tone of the writing, I realized after reading it that I missed having any sense of the patois of how people speak in Oz. One of the things I really enjoy about writers like James Elroy or John Harvey is the way they capture the language and by inference the culture of where and when they are writing about.
Still, a good book with some real su
Shannon
Disher does a great job of creating his flawed characters. I really don't like them because they are flawed but by the same token, they can turn around and redeem themselves to me (for instance in this story how Tank is suddenly one of my favorites). Here there are a couple of serious persons crimes that are not directly related other than the CIU is working them. The crimes took a backseat in this book so that Disher could further the stories of the main characters..will be interested to see ho ...more
P Seeley
Sep 20, 2014 P Seeley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another police procedural that finds the continuing characters growing/changing/taking new directions while solving multiple crimes. I like the evolving relationship between Challis and Destry, which seems to have just the right amount of tension/conflict/respect/friendship/lust, all realistically and reasonably portrayed. Once again personal lives of the continuing characters is a large part of my interest in this series, as is the depiction of Australian society.
Peter Greenwell
Jan 20, 2013 Peter Greenwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give this four and a half stars if I could.

I was pleasantly surprised with this book. I've read one other work of this author's - a how-to-write book and I can verily attest he practises what he preaches.

Anyhow, this is an excellent crime/procedural story with multiple weaving threads. All the ingredients are here for a marvellous tale and I really couldn't find that much fault with it. It's enough to where I'm going ot track down more of his work. I'm sold.
Calzean
Another in the series featuring Challis and Destry. Sticks to the usual format - lots of police procedure and false leads. The characters continue to develop and there a number of storylines.

Some insights into the Australian culture of schoolies, male mateship and sexualisation of women.

Could be read without reading others in this series.
Chris
May 15, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always a good and fast read. Unlike Rebus or Wallander, Challis doesn't revel in his aloneness but gets the girl; however, he's always walking a tightrope in his relationships. An assault, murder, and rape keep Hal and Ellen and the station busy. Now I have to wait a year for the next one. Ending was quite surprising in this one.
Melanie McKissock
Jun 22, 2014 Melanie McKissock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable, multi-layered police procedural set on the Mornington Peninsula, south of Melbourne. Great interplay between the characters, together with some social issues being thrashed out, made this an intriguing novel.
Patrick
Aussie procedural, interesting, quick. The murder of a planning official is one strand of the plot, and I have to say it amused me, given that I cover land use boards for a newspaper and frequently wonder why violent, sudden death doesn't enter the equation.

Pgchuis
Oct 22, 2011 Pgchuis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this one in less than 24 hours too and thought it was better than the last one. There were two investigations going on at the same time and thankfully they did not turn out to be linked in a really unrealistic way!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Black Wattle Creek (Charlie Berlin, #2)
  • Spider Trap (Brock & Kolla, #9)
  • Gunshot Road (Emily Tempest, #2)
  • Beams Falling
  • Something Fishy (Murray Whelan, #5)
  • Let The Dead Lie (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #2)
  • Prime Cut
  • The Lying-Down Room
Garry Disher was born in 1949 and grew up on his parents' farm in South Australia.

He gained post graduate degrees from Adelaide and Melbourne Universities. In 1978 he was awarded a creative writing fellowship to Stanford University, where he wrote his first short story collection. He travelled widely overseas, before returning to Australia, where he taught creative writing, finally becoming a full
More about Garry Disher...

Inspector Challis (7 books)
  • The Dragon Man (Inspector Challis, #1)
  • Kittyhawk Down (Inspector Challis, #2)
  • Snapshot (Inspector Challis, #3)
  • Chain of Evidence (Inspector Challis, #4)
  • Whispering Death (Inspector Challis, #6)
  • Signal Loss (Inspector Challis, #7)