Start by marking “Keeper of Keys” as Want to Read:
Keeper of Keys

Keeper of Keys

Published 2009 by NAKI

To ask other readers questions about Keeper of Keys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keeper of Keys

Start your review of Keeper of Keys
Brown Girl Reading
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of Bernice L. McFadden and Contemporary African-American fiction
I liked this short story but it didn't Wow me like some of McFadden's other books. However it still has has the lovely sensitive nuances that I love about her writing.
Classy
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kai struggles with abandonment due to a traumatic event that happened to her one summer when she was a very young girl. Now Kai is walking in her mother's shoes and has a choice to make, and will it be the best one. Ms. McFadden takes us on a short "journey" that requires quick life changing decisions and soul searching. I enjoyed the beginning, it waned in the middle, and progressively got better towards the end. I knew it was a novella, but I wanted to know more about Journey.
Carla
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short story. Everything by this author is wonderful! Sob worthy. So much emotion packed into 40 pages. Got this on Amazon digitally for nothing.
Buffy
This was a great short story...perfect for a quick read! I wanted more though..lol...so I would actually give i 3.5 stars relative to the phenomenal novels by Ms. McFadden.
Turtleberry
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was beautiful. Short but powerful. Sad but also very sweet. In my opinion it had a bit of a love story tucked in there.
Arlene
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: readsoullit
Wow.

For a short story of less than 40 pages this was fantastic. I actually cried reading this. There are so many elements in this story that I can relate to it hurt. But that ending really sealed the deal for me, and I actually sobbed while finishing it. It's hard to give a brief description of such a short story but it's about a mother that was lost suddenly, a daughter with a great name and a tragic tale of her own and her want to make sure that her own daughter won't suffer or go forget that
Samantha
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was AMAZING! The author did and excellent job of really drawing you in. I fell in love w/ the main character and could really see and feel her struggles. The only reason this book got four stars instead of five is b/c it's only 32 pages long. I wasn't ready for it to end.
Lauren Murray
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Erin Gray
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great Novella

I’ve always been a fan of McFadden’s book. “A Gathering of Waters” is by far one of my favorites. Although the topic was heavy, the book was light with characters enveloped in charm and personality. One of the things I loved is how you end up learning about who the characters are and the roles they play in the most creative of ways. An example (and it’s not a spoiler) is how the author has you wondering how the main character’s mom passed away. #HappyReading
Electra Baskerville
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Too short

This short book was actually pretty good, it was way too short, it kinda left you hanging. I did love the part where she realized she needed to show her daughter that she did love her, and didn’t want to say not say good bye!
Ty Jones
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVE!!! The first word/feeling that comes to mind once I finished. Sadness, grief, happiness and through it all, love prevailed. It reminded me of "What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day" by Pearl Cleage, but more importantly true love still exists❣
Andrietta L. West
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Compelling !

I like the story. I have read most of the authors novels . When I found this gem I was seeking another of the authors writing . I was not disappointed.
Stephani
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bit-sized greatness …

… which leaves you craving for more. It’s been ages, if ever, that a short story has caught me up within its words like this one.
Tish Tish
Jan 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
Storyline was boring, there was no real tragedy here. Would really like my 99cent back; although I still am a fan of the author.
Linda
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
McFadden packed a lot of heart into this small package. Within a page or two, I was invested in Kai’s life and story. The first half was very strong, but McFadden digressed a bit in the second half. There were too many subtle sub-plots, dynamics between characters and themes. (view spoiler) ...more
Hope
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent short story by Ms. McFadden. The story centers on Kai, who has just received devastating news. Readers will feel her pain and heartache, as stories about her mother and daughter are interwoven into hers. Ms. McFadden is one of my favorite authors and, though I am not a fan of short stories, this one doesn't disappoint.
Dionna Johnson
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
Ok this is the shortest book I have read in a long time!!!! This book literally took me 45 mins!!! So ok...as far as the book goes: confusion!!! It was an ok read but it left me thinking: ok what's the point??? And Berniece McFadden is one of my favorite authors but this book was just ok for me. Glad I was able to support her tho!!!
Shelley Victory
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

it has been sometime since I have entertained the idea of reading a short story. I like to immerse myself in the characters and there never is enough pages to develop each character. how ever keeper of Keys was written in such a quiet intimate way that I felt and instant knowing and connection to the brief glimpse of the characters life. great read
Jean
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a short story that involves relationships and illness where love is the main ingredient. Although it is a short story I wanted it to go on at least for a few more pages. However, in a very few pages, McFadden weaves a wonderful tale.
Donna
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked this short story but I actually thought it was a book and was quite disappointed when it ended so abruptly. I'd love to get my hands on the continuation book so I can read the rest of the story.
Jaya
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
a great quick read!
I love McFadden and she does not disappoint in this short story about a woman's struggle with illness and her reflections of her mother's illness when she was a child. A very well written page turner!
Destiny
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is my second short book by Bernice L. McFadden. This is considered a novella. It was pretty good. It had a few typos, but a good story line. It renewed my hope. I do recommend for others wanting to get in a short read. Bernice always delivers.
Michelle
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've read a few short stories lately and this one was most touching. The main character drew me in and held me there to the end. A beautiful read. Sad but lovely at the same time. True love really conquers all.
Charlotte-Marie
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Charlotte-Marie by: No one
As I expected I really enjoyed reading Ms McFadden's short story. In just a few pages I had a wonderful interlude with Alice, Kai, Alice and Journey.
Keshia
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Short and good at the same time
Valarie Graham
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a short, sweet love story of man/woman and mother/daughter love.
BlackLiterati
This was....eh. A good, quick story I guess. Definitely nothing to write home about.
bahiyyah jefferson
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great quick read

This was a good quick read that in a weird way does not leave you wanting more you actually feel satisfied
Dona
Aug 22, 2015 rated it liked it
A novella. After receiving devastating news, we learn of the moment that Kai decides to live her life and embrace her daughter once again.
Kelley
Jun 09, 2016 added it
It's a Bernice McFadden book so of course I loved it!

• Leaving Atlanta
  • Secret Brother (Dollanganger #8)
  • Runaway Soul
  • Some Love, Some Pain, Sometime: Stories
  • Borrow Trouble
  • Conjure Women
  • Mama Ruby
  • God Ain't Through Yet (God Don't Like Ugly, #5)
  • God Ain't Blind (God Don't Like Ugly, #4)
  • More Myself: A Journey
  • God Still Don't Like Ugly (God Don't Like Ugly, #2)
  • God Don't Play (God Don't Like Ugly, #3)
BERNICE L. McFADDEN is the author of ten critically acclaimed novels including Praise Song for the Butterflies (Long listed for the 2019 Women's Prize in Fiction ) The Book of Harlan (winner of a 2017 American Book Award and the NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Literary Work, Fiction) Sugar, Loving Donovan, Nowhere Is a Place, The Warmest December, Gathering of Waters (a New York Times Editors’ C ...more