Start by marking “La stagione della caccia” as Want to Read:
La stagione della caccia

La stagione della caccia

In un libretto su una strage di stato a ridosso della rivoluzione siciliana del 1848, pubblicato qualche anno fa (monografia storica, ma scritta con la grazia e l'umorismo del narratore), Camilleri ripeteva un'idea a lui evidentemente molto cara. Che i siciliani sono «tragediatori», sono paghi cioè soltanto quando possono finalmente fondere insieme la vita e la scena, ...more
Paperback, La memoria #304, 154 pages
Published 1994 by Sellerio (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about La stagione della caccia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La stagione della caccia

Start your review of La stagione della caccia
Erica
This is ok.
Two stars means "It's ok"
I'm not going to read this again, though.

Usually, when you get a bawdy tale like this, it's a facade for some biting social commentary and there's usually a zinger at the end, like all the jerks get their comeuppances or the women really rule the town or he would have gotten away with it, too, had it not been for you meddling brats or something similar.
This one...well, I think most readers know there's murder afoot and recognize the culprit (view spoiler)
Becky Hoffman
Let's just put it this way, I might like this book more if Wes Anderson decided to turn it into a movie. Anyone who has read this book and seen Wes Anderson's movies will understand what I mean. There is a lot of stories that all seem to revolve around one family, but how basically all of them die. Some of it is ridiculously humorous, others are bordering on tragic, but in each of their stories, there is this subtle dry humor (like the daughter painting her butt black, or the one son who is in ...more
Roger
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andrea Camilleri is one of Italy's most revered authors. He is famous for his Inspector Montalbano novels. Unfortunately I do not have one of those laying around at present-so I had to settle for Hunting Season, which is a short novel that I am reasonably sure does not show off all of Camilleri's talent. As for the book itself: it was ribald, funny, and extremely entertaining. The back cover blurb gives away the "plot twist" but that does not make this read any less fun. And I feel it is a lot ...more
James H.
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"This novel is dedicated to Rosetta, my wife. I don't think she likes it so much; not because of the way it's written, but because of what it means."

Andrea Camilleri is undoubtedly correct in this dedication. (He might have written, "I don't think most women will like it much...") For this novel, a sort of prequel to the Inspector Matalbano series is bawdy and, on the surface at least, somewhat misogynistic. (Deceptively so, as it turns out, but I must not say more.)

Hunting Season was written
Richard
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
what a little treasure this is, we should rejoice it has finally been translated into English.
Due to complexity of the Italian nobility and the period it is set in, the book takes abit of an effort to get into to be in the moment. That said those who take the trouble to immerse themselve into this pre 20th Sicilly novel will be rewarded with a wonderful story.
It is a true reflection of the creative and wicked mind of Camilleri as he decimates a noble family with bad luck and tragic accidents.
Chris
May 18, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A strange, rambling,baudy, humorous story of revenge or love. You decide? A very different departure from the Montalbano novels as this is set in 19th Century Sicily and plays on the class distinctions of the peasants and the aristocracy. You think this book will be about the stranger returning to town but he's quickly usurped by the soap opera of a life that the local aristocrat or marchese lives. It sounds like a 19th Century reality show. It would have been nice to have a glossary of ...more
Ken Fredette
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know that Camillleri dedicated the book to his wife Rosetta. It was based off a murder of love that a pharmacist did in 1875-1876 to 7 people, It is a rather risqué novel that tends to grow on you.
Li Hector
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really pleased I tried out one of the non-Montalbano books. Beautifully crafted. Loved it.
Heidi Burkhart
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever and entertaining. It kept my interest.
Lisbeth
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fantasy, fiction
According to information on the cover Camilleri is the author of the Inspector Montalbano series. The name sounds familiar to me, but I have not read any of these books, or seen the popular TV-series based on the books. This book caught my eye because of the cover, which I love. The back cover text intrigued me as well:
"'Tomorrow afternoon they're going to open a pharmacy in town,' Mimi said as he was carrying his master, chair and all, from the palazzo to the Circolo. But as he was covering him
Dave Walls
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting and short book. I had trouble keeping the characters straight due to my difficulty with Italian names and titles. A good "mystery" but not a whodunit. It is instead a "why," and maybe a "which" were his victims. Certainly a good read for someone looking for something a little different.
MB (What she read)
An odd read. Love the cover art.

(view spoiler)
Pamela
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I understand that authors want to write about new characters, but I miss Montalbano! This murder story could have easily been set in Vigata with Inspector Salvo Montalbano and his detectives, to much better effect.
David
Dec 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a murder story as opposed to a murder mystery. I missed Montalbano!
Katie Cat Books
Black humour. Italian town. Nobles vs peasants.

Story: 1880, in a small town in Italy, a stranger steps off a boat. He meets an old man in the Piazza who recognizes him and is terrified at the sight of him. He enters the town under a false name After some investigation, it comes out that that stranger is there to open a pharmacy and that he used to live in the town long ago. His arrival sets off a series of events that will change the whole town.

Language: This is a short book with large font text
larthia
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parents
This was like one forgotten book amidst my parents' and I'm not quite sure they'd read it at all -- it all but looked as if it'd been purchased and then forgotten, though I may as well be wrong. It came as a bit of a surprise to me, then, and then it kept surprising me. Which is rather curious for a book whose strenght, I believe, lays in its own predictability (although readers' mileage may vary on that account): there's something you know about from the start, and the book doesn't make a ...more
Susan
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in 19th century Vigata, this is a plot that could perhaps only be set in Sicily. Earthy and picaresque, this book is never going to make it to my list of favorites. It did, however, have a fascinating structure that seemed to follow the logic of fractal geometry. The reader knows fairly well what is going to happen based on the initial conditions. However the plot makes its way to the conclusion through a series of bifurcations that make for unexpected layers of complexity (and comedy).
June Finnigan
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating, Intriguing and Funny

I have read all of the Montalbano series, so this story and era was quite a departure from Andrea's very popular hero. But I was quickly drawn in to the late nineteenth century setting and the mix of entertaining characters therein. A young man arrives in this Sicilian coastal town, a stranger with a hidden agenda. He sets up as a pharmacist, then members of a noble family start to die. A good read.
June Finnigan - Writer
Sue Perry
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
A quirky rambling tale set in 19th century Sicily. I listened to this as an audiobook and enjoyed the narration, but found the story hard to follow. The plot is a mixture of murder mystery, romance, and family saga, with a confusion of similar sounding Italian names. Half the time I didn’t know who was doing what to whom, let alone why. And the ending was mad.
Louise
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I confess, I missed Montalbano, but this completely ridiculous story was definitely amusing.
First off, it was hard to remind myself that this was set in 1880... but the little soap opera surrounding the local marchese and marchesa is hysterical, if a little deadly for the family. sex and lies and dream sequences abound.
Marilyn B
There is a reason that this was in the bargain bin for the whopping price of $2 after all. It turns out I would have rather spent that $2 on a snack instead. This book was completely not to my taste. The humour was off, the mystery wasn't there...the only thing I liked was the cover art.
Nick Phillips
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More bawdy than usual Camilleri fayre but jolly good fun nonetheless. The place names are familiar but the cast of characters is new. Would be good to see this televised, maybe with the actors from the Montelbano series taking the roles and playing against type.
Wilde Sky
A man returns to the town where his father was killed and series of deaths occur.

Not a bad story, but the basic plot was a bit too familiar and some of the writing was a bit flowery.

Word count around 45,000 - reading time a couple of hours.
Tariq Engineer
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A weird little book but one that I thoroughly enjoyed. Bawdy, morbid, grotesque but also entertaining and funny. It isn't the most well plotted story-line, and the murderer is obvious once you get to a certain point, but I still couldn't put it down.
Marilyn
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i had just finished the "revolution of the moon" which I loved. This was quite dull in comparison. I guess it is clever but maybe it is just silly.

I had to read the first 25 pages twice to get the names right in my head.
Jennifer Saliba
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quirky, bawdy and with a wicked sense of humour, this is unlike anything I've read so far. Still, enjoyed my first foray into the works of Camilleri. Hope to follow this up with his Montalbano series soon enough.
Anne Brown
A short, humorous, bawdy diversion.
David Crespin
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
quite enjoyable and unlike anything else I have read by Camilleri
Melita
Way too much magical realism and not enough mystery for my taste.
Victoria
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was ok, but I much prefer the Montalbano books. This felt like an effort to get into and the blurb gave everything away anyway!
« previous 1 3 next »

• La versione di Fenoglio
  • The Liar in the Library (Fethering, #18)
  • The Jewels of Paradise
  • I Will Have Vengeance
  • The Vinyl Detective - Flip Back: Vinyl Detective
  • A Capitol Death (Flavia Albia Mystery #7)
  • Ad occhi chiusi
  • Crime in Progress: Inside the Steele Dossier and the Fusion GPS Investigation of Donald Trump
  • The Fossil Murder: A Clara Fitzgerald Mystery (The Clara Fitzgerald Mysteries Book 15)
  • The Day of the Owl
  • Testimone inconsapevole
  • Rien ne va plus
  • The Misty Harbour (Maigret, #12)
  • La condanna del sangue: La primavera del commissario Ricciardi
  • East of the West: A Country in Stories
  • The Last Dance and Other Stories
  • La ragazza di Bube
  • Melville: His World and Work
Andrea Camilleri (born september 6, 1925 in Porto Empedocle) was an Italian writer. He is considered one of the greatest Italian writers of both 20th and 21st centuries.

Originally from Porto Empedocle, Sicily, Camilleri began studies at the Faculty of Literature in 1944, without concluding them, meanwhile publishing poems and short stories. Around this time he joined the Italian Communist Party.