Start by marking “Overcoming Depersonalization Disorder: A Mindfulness and Acceptance Guide to Conquering Feelings of Numbness and Unreality” as Want to Read:

When you have depersonalization disorder, nothing seems real. You may feel detached from reality, even from your own thoughts, as though you are going through the motions of living without ever being truly connected to your experiences. Whether your depersonalization developed after a traumatic experience or is something you've always lived with, this book can help you rec ...more
Published June 3rd 2010 by New Harbinger Publications (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Overcoming Depersonalization Disorder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overcoming Depersonalization Disorder

Start your review of Overcoming Depersonalization Disorder: A Mindfulness and Acceptance Guide to Conquering Feelings of Numbness and Unreality
Amy
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm happy this book exists. It's a miracle that this dx is finally being talked about in my field.
But this book is wrong about some stuff. There needs to be more research done. It's obvious the writers used only their pts as examples. I work with male war vets with PTSD. The book kept talking about how emotional this dx is how the control that. A lot of pts simply shut down because their brain is overwhelmed with stimulation. Not necessarily by emotion but things going on and or changes. Boooo!
Lily
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, psychology
4.5☆
Katie
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I came across this book in my search for a book that would familiarize me with Depersonalization Disorder given I now have a client that struggles with this disorder. Not only does the book educate the reader on what exactly DPD entails, it offers hopeful strategies (including CBT, ACT, DBT and behavioral activation) that the individual can work on both with or without the professional help of a mental health therapist.
Roisin
Jun 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I like mindfulness and acceptance and commitment therapy but I think this book is getting ahead of the research. There have been no randomized controlled trials of ACT for depersonalization disorder. This goes against one of the main goals of ACT which is to appropriately research the effectiveness and efficacy of ACT before applying it in the real world. And while the model should theoretically work across different conditions (and probably would help in this case, at least minimally), I think ...more
Ryan Eric
Ok, could have been better. Felt like she was morbid with prognosis.

I think there has to be better books than this. I feel ripped off buying it. It basically says toughen up and live with it. I don’t need a book to tell me what is obvious.
Stephanie
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Insightful and definitely worth the read. I wish it was more detailed into self-help options.
Sorana
Nov 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
The theoretical part was really useful, but I feel like the therapy part could've been more detailed. I had read the ACT book before, so I understood that part, but I wasn't familiar with dialectical therapy and I couldn't grasp its full meaning just from this book. Also, I believe a lot of accent was put on the trauma aspect, ignoring the fact that many people got DPD without any apparent trigger and thus erasing some of the paradox of this disorder. But besides that, it really did give some va ...more
Cheri
Sep 28, 2011 marked it as put-down-to-finish-later
This book was sitting on the display shelf where I was working today, out of place and leaning rather calmly. As a coincidence, I briefly thought about a movie I had seen with a character suffering from this strange disorder, only the night before! So, based on that I decided to read it. It's super fascinating. It's been awhile since I've read any psychology stuff, and I'd forgotten how intriguing it all is.
Anser
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was good. It explains somethings wonderfully.
I was able to relate to some of the things said in this book, although not all of it.
I think I can follow some the techniques covered in the book.
It could be better. I am looking forward to reading more books.
I took a break from reading for a little while, but tonight I was able to read without the voices interrupting, and I had the music playing I think that helps.
I love my voices.
locrian
It was decent for what the current research is. Basically what this book made apparent was how little we actually know about depersonalization/dissociation and how current treatment due to that is some stuff borrowed from the treatment of other conditions in the hopes that it does something. It was informative, however, and offers some nice workbook space to practice things. I did find several useful things in it.
Evan

• Little Nemo: 1905-1914
  • Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas: The Film, the Art, the Vision
  • The World of Edward Gorey
  • Faeries
  • The Gashlycrumb Tinies (The Vinegar Works, #1)
  • The Natural Way to Draw
  • Inferno
  • Camera Lucida: Reflections on Photography
  • Stuck: Asperger's Syndrome and Obsessive-Compulsive Behaviors
  • The Water Dancer
  • The Watchmaker's Daughter (Glass and Steele, #1)
  • The Secret Fear  (The DI Hogarth Secret Fear Series Book 1)
  • The Ink Master's Silence (Glass and Steele, #6)
  • The Cheater's Game (Glass and Steele #7)
  • Respiratory Physiotherapy: An On-Call Survival Guide
  • The Girls Across The Bay (Knox and Sheppard, #1)
  • The Magician's Diary (Glass and Steele, #4)
  • Europe on a Shoestring
Dr. Neziroglu is a board certified behavior and cognitive psychologist, specializing in Anxiety and Obsessive-
Compulsive related disorders, and is a pioneer in the research and treatment of Body Dysmporhic Disorder. She received her Ph.D. in clinical, school-community psychology from Hofstra University and completed her post-graduate work in behavior and cognitive therapy at Temple University Sch

News & Interviews