Start by marking “The Monster on Top of the Bed” as Want to Read:
The Monster on Top of the Bed

The Monster on Top of the Bed

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  34 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Both Karrit and Suzy want to go to bed without being afraid, but when the lights go off at bedtime, the world is a scary place.

Then, Karrit visits Suzy . . . to make friends with “the monster” that had been scaring him.

Suzy is scared, but treats him the way that she would like to be treated. They both use Suzy’s grandmother’s mantra:
You’re welcome to stay, until I say “nay
CD-ROM, Discovery Edition, 36 pages
Published September 30th 2008 by LB Creative, LLC Press

To ask other readers questions about The Monster on Top of the Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monster on Top of the Bed

Alan H. Jordan
May 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book, so I'll post some of the reviews that others have written:

Princess Sleeping Beauty book review of The Monster on Top of the Bed

“Like Pixar’s “Monsters, Inc., children. . . [who read:] this book . . . [like:] the fact that a monster, as might be afraid . . . of them, but it does so in a very different, almost cerebral way. Also, as children read the story, it [has:] a mantra that they can say . . . to banish monsters, “You’re welcome to stay until I say ‘yes’, then it is time t
Kathleen
Nov 05, 2014 rated it liked it
I got this audiobook edition free in a Goodreads giveaway. It's a simple and engaging story about a girl making friends with the critter that lives in her room.
The read-along book is in the CD's liner notes. It's printed in English only, but the audiobook includes two English versions, two Spanish versions, and one Italian version, all with different readers! My edition also included some bonus tracks with other stories and poems from the same author/publisher.
I found the page-turning noise and
Heavensent1
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young children
The Monster On Top Of The Bed is an enjoyable read for all youngsters.

Sometimes things aren't always what they seem and when the monster fears the child, we come to see a different perspective on misunderstandings and ignorance. As well, we learn that not everything we say is what it actually means, when Karrit explains to Suzy that certain things she says and does, frightens him.

Together the two work out their differences and a friendship forms and a new light is shed upon them both when they r
Carissa Burks
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people with young children, young children,
Let me first start off by saying that I love, love, love that the CD-ROM includes a Spanish and Italian version. It is great for kids who may have Spanish or Italian as their first language or even for those that don't. Kids can listen to it in other languages if they want and there's even a few Spanish and a few English versions to choose from.

The book fits nicely in the cd case, so you'll always have one with the other!

The book is about Suzy learning to confront her fear of monsters and that
Lara
I won this audio book as a Goodreads First reads giveaway.

I loved the concept of this book the moment I read about it. What better way to explain to a child that the "monsters" under the bed may be just as scared as you! The story performed in English, Italian and Spanish offered page-turning noises which made it easy for anyone to follow (especially if one isn't fluent in Italian or Spanish). Unfortunately the booklet only comes in English, which means you can only follow the book in that langu
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this as a Goodreads First Read. (On a side note, the author personally reached out to me and kept me informed about its shipping.)

Little Suzy has gone to bed but she soon finds that there is a “monster” named Karrit living under bed. At first she is scared but she soon realizes that Karrit perceives her as a monster. Together they talk about their differences and learn to overcome their fears, becoming friends in the process.

This is a wonderful idea – a book printed in a CD cover wit
Barbara Ann
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cute book targeted to the three to six year old audience. Suzy is afraid of monsters under her bed. She even has a short poem taught to her by her grandma to help dispel her fears whenever she feels threatened. One night she meets Karrit, a fuzzy monster who is actually afraid of her! The fact that Suzy eats cakes made of pans, toma "toes," and dogs that are hot terrifies him When she mentions a carrot, he really freaks out. This books points out the difficulties that children and adults face wh ...more
Jahz Piocnacia
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"The Monster on Top of the Bed" is a very enjoyable book that my nieces and nephews really love to read over and over again!

The book has a very fascinating story about a monster fearing Suzy and her newly found critter friend, Karrit. As children read or you read to them the story, they will think about monsters in a different way. Just like my niece, Gweneth, she is no longer afraid of going to bed without turning on her flashlight. That’s how this book works for them!

Everyone can find somethin
Geoff
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any and all with young children (3 to 7)
Shelves: audiobook
Multiple Languages

Very cute little story peppered with several good examples of valuable life lessons for children. Just as we sometimes view that which we do not understand as monstrous, others can believe us to be monstrous because they misconstrue our behavior. I read often to my children when they were young and now I get to provide my youngest son with a great book to read to my Granddaughters.

AND ITS IN SPANISH!! This is great for me because he married an absolutely wonderful young woman f
Sandra Gest
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
The Monster on Top of the Bed written by Alan H. Jordan is highly recommended. Oh was this a delight! My Grandson and I listened to it together. He read along, and after we discussed how cool it was that the Monster, Karrit saw Suzy as a threat. We discussed how a preconceived notion can be wrong. There are all kinds of lessons here. And if you can learn a lesson while being entertained, you will retain it. I highly recommend this CD and book. Also the Spanish version is included, and I will tel ...more
Detra
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very cute story teaching kids valuable lessons that one' learns throughout life! My daughter and I thoroughly reading Suzy and Karrit's tale! We had never thought of the monster that lives on TOP of the bed! It has discussion questions at the end that help young readers with reading comprehension! This is a great book that I highly recommend to parents of struggling readers that need an extra boost/help in comprehension! I also highly recommend this book to parents that are trying to give thei ...more
Jean
Shelves: goodreads-winner
Just won this book on Goodreads! Can't wait to read and pass along to my daughter who is an Early Childhood Teacher for her collection. What a surprise to receive a CD of the story. It is very well read on the CD and I think would make for a cute story to share with Pre-K or Kindergarten classes. However, it would be better accompanied by a regular sized hardback book rather than the insert you find on CD's. The story is about creatures who live under the bed thinking that children are monsters ...more
☆Joycedale☆
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I entered to get this for my 6 yr old. Got it today (he was so excited to get mail) and have already read along to it 4 times in 2 hrs. I thought it was neat that the book is the cd booklet.
Its a very cute story and theres even some extras on cd after the book.
My problem was that each book takes so many tracks, 17 each. After listening to the english version first there's 4 more languages and its track 86 before we get to the extras. That's a lot of pushing the skip button.

I received this from g
Bonnie Rediske-
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
What an adorable take on monsters. This author made having monsters under the bed fun and put a whole new perspective on what the monster must be feeling about the little person on top of the bed. The illustrations work perfectly for small kids. I think that this will help many children get over the irrational fear of monsters but in a very fun way. I give this one five kid fangs and feel it will be appropriate for ages 4-8 and beyond in the special education arena.
Steph
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a very cute little story about a little girl who has a fear of monsters. However, things are not always what they seem. The illustrations are very adorable, and most small children would probably enjoy them as well. Moral of the story: those who worry about monsters oftentimes may be perceived as monsters themselves.
Doddette Tallytalbot
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a great story especially for little kids who are having a hard time learning to make friends with people who are different then themselves. This story is wonderful for me to listen to with my kids at bedtime and it also allows the door to be opened for us to discuss any problems my own kids face with friends.
Kellie
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a very cute book. My daughter had a great time following along while the story was read to her. We also listened to the other stories and poems but Hannah enjoyed The Monster On Top of the Bed the best.
I received this book free from goodreads.com
Michelle
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love that this book was on a CD! At first my child wasn't sure about listening to an audio book, but she listened along. I love that the insert has the full book so that you/your child can follow along while listening. It was the right length, cute little book, and I enjoyed it myself.
Mary Ann
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Cute story explaining that making a determination about someone else without really knowing them can cause people to not know each other and have misperceptions.
Taylor Glover
Sep 16, 2014
Shanta
Dec 04, 2014
  • Danger at Dolphin World
  • Stevie Tenderheart WAIT A MINUTE! (A Bedtime Story)
  • Martina and the Wondrous Waterfall
  • Chronic Pain: Finding Hope in the Midst of Suffering
  • Barkley's Great Escape
  • The Big Book of Superheroes
  • Red Summer
  • The Great Depression for Kids: Hardship and Hope in 1930s America, with 21 Activities
  • A Tragic Heart
  • A Story Unfinished: 99 Days with Eliot
  • Embracing the Wild in Your Dog, an Understanding of the Authors of Our Dog's Behavior-Nature and the Wolf
  • Haunting and History of the Battle of Gettysburg
  • How to Sweet-Talk a Shark: Strategies and Stories from a Master Negotiator
  • Exhibit 692: Love in the Time of Zombies (The Outbreak Archives, #1)
  • Dark Prophet (The Chronicles of Koa #2)
  • Portrait of a Novel: Henry James and the Making of an American Masterpiece
  • The Craft Beer Revolution: How a Band of Microbrewers Is Transforming the World's Favorite Drink
  • Sleeping Cinderella and Other Princess Mix-ups

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things