Start by marking “The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, #1)

The Clan of the Cave Bear

(Earth's Children #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  212,788 ratings  ·  6,050 reviews
This novel of awesome beauty and power is a moving saga about people, relationships, and the boundaries of love. Through Jean M. Auel's magnificent storytelling we are taken back to the dawn of modern humans, and with a girl named Ayla we are swept up in the harsh and beautiful Ice Age world they shared with the ones who called themselves the Clan of the Cave Bear.

A natural di
Published April 4th 2002 by Coronet (first published May 4th 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Clan of the Cave Bear, please sign up.
Malone I read this when I was 11. The sex scenes didn't corrupt me. I'd be horrified at my mother if she had kept it from me until I was 17 just because of…moreI read this when I was 11. The sex scenes didn't corrupt me. I'd be horrified at my mother if she had kept it from me until I was 17 just because of sex, because this is still one of my favourite books of all time.

It is definitely appropriate for a teen.(less)
Tigress (Warrior Elf) Goodreads is not a site for reading books. It's just for reviewing and keeping track of books you've read/want to read, and connecting with other…moreGoodreads is not a site for reading books. It's just for reviewing and keeping track of books you've read/want to read, and connecting with other readers. You still have to get books from the library, bookstore, Amazon, etc.(less)

·  212,788 ratings  ·  6,050 reviews

Kinga
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ms Auel, there are some things I’d like to talk to you about. Be warned I’m quite angry because I keep reading your books for some bizarre reason and I cringe and tear my hair out in despair. See, you had a good story there – a little Cro-Magnon orphan girl found and raised by Neanderthals. I didn’t even care she turned out to be the smartest, most beautiful, ingenious little thing and the villain in the story was almost grotesque and cartoonish in his evildoing. I knew no real harm would ever c ...more
Corey
Aug 30, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing that strikes me most about her work is that every time there's a new discovery about how paleolithic people lived, it goes along with her stories. Things they said were silly back when she wrote it (Neanderthals with instruments, Neanderthals living with homo sapiens sapiens, and the like) keep proving true.

She presents interesting ideas of cognition, culture and how societies develop. The first two books are her best I think. The rest remain interesting if you can deal with the const
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

Omg!! This book was awesome!! Yes, there were some parts but there always seem to have those in books I read! I still loved it!

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Lyn
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I once read an article from National Geographic in which the author had spent some time living with a Stone Age tribe in Africa. The people were a studied anachronism, living in modern times, but within a carefully maintained atavistic society of hunting and gathering. Most endearing of this study was the author’s observations about the interactive dialogue amongst the members of the tribe. One wife would say to her husband, “another woman has three beads, I only have two, I wish I had a husband ...more
Charlotte May
This was a great pick! I thoroughly enjoyed this read!
Set during prehistoric times, Ayla’s Home and her family are lost to a devastating earthquake. Homeless and alone she wanders the land, barely surviving, until she is found by Iza - a member of The Clan.
Ayla struggles to fit in and to be accepted by The Clan, its customs foreign to her. Their treatment of women being the main hurdle - all women are below men in status, expected to cook for the men, never to ignore a direct order from a man
Julie
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I could easily sit between a red-faced evolutionist and a screaming creationist, both arguing around me, and quite contentedly finish any book I was reading.

I'm no Louis Leakey, people.

I'm no Tammy Faye Baker, either.

I am, in fact, an anthropological airhead, and arguing with me about creationism or evolution is like trying to convince me to become interested in my car's transmission. Whatever the hell that is.

Ain't going to happen, folks.

I figure. . . if I don't personally have
Werner
Feb 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of fiction set in prehistoric times; fans of strong heroines
Note, March 25, 2014: I edited this review slightly just now, to delete one accidental dittography. Hmmm, I thought I'd proofread this.... :-)

Auel's Earth's Children series (this opening volume was followed by, so far, four sequels) garners mixed --and mostly negative-- reviews here on Goodreads. Though none of them have reviewed it, a dozen of my Goodreads friends have given it ratings, ranging from one star to five. Obviously, my own reaction falls at the favorable end of the spect
Henry Avila
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Circa 30,000 years ago in the lands surrounding the broad Black Sea , in future Europe, a cataclysmic event occurred, not very unusual there, but still to the superstitious Ice Age people , a devastating occurrence. A family of Cro -Magnons, the first modern humans, our direct ancestors, were wiped out, near a small river, all except a little girl named Ayla , just five, she liked to sneak away and jump joyously into the stream, at dawn, a swimmer before the child could walk. The shaking soil an ...more
Holmes! Holmes
Aug 16, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: shallow spiritualists harboring secret fantasies of miscegnation
I *really* wanted to dig this book. I have a burgeoning obsession with prehistory, evolution, and the antecedents of man, and a tale of Cro Magnons and Neanderthals is exactly what I'd love to read.

Sadly, this book does not contain that tale.

Instead, it's a goopy mess of inane metaphysics, prurience for prurience's sake, and a none-too-subtle dollop of racism, as the blonde-haired and light-skinned heroine shows the more primitive (and darker-skinned) Neanderthals how to
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Clan of the Cave Bear, Jean M. Auel
The Clan of the Cave Bear is an epic work of prehistoric fiction by Jean M. Auel about prehistoric times. It is the first book in the Earth's Children book series which speculates on the possibilities of interactions between Neanderthal and modern Cro-Magnon humans. A five-year-old girl, Ayla, whom readers come to understand is Cro-Magnon, is orphaned and left homeless by an earthquake that destroys her family's camp. She wanders aimlessly, naked and unabl
Jess
Jan 20, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Where do I even start? In a tale that defies biology, geology, common sense and all belief, Jean M. Auel introduces us to a particularly disturbing self-insert in the form of Ayla, a Cro-Magnon girl who is raised by a tribe of doltish Neanderthals.

Not only is Ayla strong, beautiful (though she considers herself ugly and believes that nobody could ever love her) and talented, she's also a virtual genius. Over the course of the series she invents or discovers (view spoiler) ...more
Renee
Aug 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves: topshelf
This book and the series that follows is endearing, troublesome, and whole-heartedly compassionate. This is the book my grandmother read to me as a little girl during the middle of a tornado, while we waited out the storm by candlelight. This is the book that started me reading... really reading.
I learned that I can love my quiet time, and apparently I love stories on the ancient human race... our beginnings. The ways of survival, ways of development, natural medicine, culture and anthropology.
Science (Fiction) Comedy Horror and Fantasy Geek/Nerd a.k.a Mario
I have hardly ever read a novel that was both so entertaining and so educational

Schools could skip a longer part of history by just giving this novel to the pupils. Described by the view of a young girl, the progress of the development of culture is shown uniquely.
The average Stone Age fantasy novel may include war, monsters, an epic love story, etc.
In this case, the slow telling shows the functioning of a forming society, its mechanisms and the rise of intelligence that leads
Leisa
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book when I was a teen. Indirectly, it lead to my pursuit of a BA in Anthropology. Perhaps it is that Anthropology degree that has rendered the book unreadable for me 25 years later.
Dirk Grobbelaar
Suddenly, with a magician's flourish, he produced a skull. He held it high over his head with his strong left arm and turned slowly around in a complete circle so each man could see the large, distinctive, high-domed shape. The men stared at the cave bear's skull glowing whitely in the flickering light of the torches.

Contemporary anthropology can be pretty confusing, and science may have disproved some of what’s on display here, but this novel does feel like it was well researched at any rate, so l
Kayleigh
Nov 25, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kayleigh by: Read it for my Bio-Anth class
A disappointment. The concept is interesting, especially in light of recent archaeological evidence suggesting that Neandertals and Cro-Magnons (anatomically modern humans) may have interbred. However, the execution is extremely poor. The pacing is uneven, the prose is so flowery it hurts, and the characters are flat. Some other things that bothered me:
--The author has the tendency to "info-dump", frequently disrupting the flow of the story to deliver lengthy descriptions of plants, rocks
Kaitlin
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
You know what...this has been on my 'to-read' list for years... years and years and years, and yet I only just got to it...
WELL
It was worth the wait!

This is the story of a young child called Ayla who is born over 35,000 years ago during Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon times. Ayla is a Cro-Magnon who is adopted by a group of Neanderthal people when they find her stranded and abandoned after heavy snowfall and a great Earthquake. Ayla has managed to get to a Cave where she was c
Doc Opp
Jul 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was a fantastic book. I read it in 7th grade, and was absolutely obsessed with it (which is nothing less than stunning, because at that age most books that lacked dragons weren't worth my time...). In a way its perfect for around that age, because its all about struggling for acceptance and trying to learn the social norms of a society. But really, everybody has dealt with those issues, and will be able to empathize with the characters. And the setting is so unique, the writing so vibrant, ...more
Choko
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 3.65 ***
Bev
I read this for the first time years ago and although there's absolutely zero romance at all, not even a hero (that comes in the next book .... Jondalar, be still my beating heart!), sometimes the story is just that good romance doesn't need to feature, this is one of those.

I adored this book, and still do after re-reads. A truly amazing, captivating and fascinating series that will stay at the very top of my all time favourites list.

Not even 10 stars is enough for this book.
Crystal Starr Light
"[Ayla] was a woman, and she had more courage than you...more determination, more self-control"

Ayla is a five year old child when an earthquake forces her to flee her destroyed home and her dead parents. Iza, the medicine woman of the Clan of the Cave Bear, stumbles upon her and takes her under her wing, but Broud, the proud son of the clan leader, Brun, takes an immediate disliking to the young non-Clan girl. Ayla grows up among the clan and struggles to find her place.

I
Karen
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was long and maybe just a little too descriptive at times... but incredibly creative. I couldn't put it down. Also, I listened to the audiobook. Narrator was okay, but read a bit fast and with without enough inflection at times... this got better as the story progressed. All in all a fabulous read. Looking forward to book two.
Calista
This book was powerful for me. It brought to life a world disappeared by more than 10,000 years. Ayla is such an inspiration and strong woman. I love her dedication to life and to her tribe and to herself. I love that she became a medicine woman. This book is one of a kind.
Joe Valdez
Feb 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of mammoths, lovers of mammoth novels, lovers with mammoth attention spans
I came to The Clan of the Cave Bear at the Mission Viejo Library when the novel I'd wanted next -- The Witching Hour by Anne Rice -- was out. Wandering the hardcover fiction, a row of books at eye level with thick, colorful spines and the same author snared my attention. Published in 1980, this bestseller launched five sequels, a maligned film adaptation in 1986 and became an industry onto Jean M. Auel, whose published fiction has been dedicated solely to this Ice Age series.

Set in the late
Amy Norris
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great re-read. I definitely got A WHOLE LOT more out of this than I did when I was about 9 years old. I will be keeping my rating at a high 4!

The amount of research it must have taken to complete this book is impressive. Although at times long-winded, Auel's descriptions of the prehistoric setting really transports the reader right back into that time period. And what we don't know from history, she manages to expertly fill in the gaps with her imagination, creating a fascinat
Iset
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like historical fiction or character drama
Recommended to Iset by: No one
Frankly, Auel gets points simply for tackling this period, as I have not found any other books set around this era. Very little is known about human culture in this period apart from a basic overview, let alone Neanderthal culture. Particularly aspirations, values, and spiritual belief systems are the hardest to deduce from the material archaeological record. Auel avoids the problem of getting into the complex details of culture by making the novel more about character relationships than an exot ...more
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
2.5 ⭐⭐
This book is not for everyone. It certainly wasn't for me.

It is astonishingly brutal in the description of both human endurance and cruelty.

The story is compelling and once you started it, you'll want to follow it to the end just so you can see what happens to the little orphan girl. But you may feel the need at times to alternately roll your eyes, hurl the book across the room, or punch something.

If there is one thing this book does well, it is to bring out negative em
Olivier Delaye
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I reread this recently and decided to upgrade it to 5 stars. The amount of research in this book is phenomenal and the plot better than I remembered. Not only have I (re)learned loads of stuff about cavemen and "cave ways," I've also rediscovered Ayla, the main character, and found myself really liking her and caring for her. So yeah, great reread!

OLIVIER DELAYE
Author of the SEBASTEN OF ATLANTIS series

OLIVIER DELAYE
Author of the SEBASTEN OF ATLANTIS series
The Forgotten Goddess (Sebasten of Atlantis, #1) by Olivier Delaye
D
Aug 01, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
TRUE STORY: reading Clan of the Cave Bear to augment one's understanding of the Upper Paleolithic era is like reading Playboy for the articles. . . .
Pamela Shropshire
This was one of the first "grown-up" books I read, along with The Thorn Birds, excluding Harlequins. Honestly, I didn't love it and I didn't read all the sequels, although I remember my friends chatting about it. Meanwhile, I had discovered Victoria Holt and Mary Stewart and Ken Follett and I had plenty to read.

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Voice of the Eagle (Kwani, #2)
  • People of the Mist (North America's Forgotten Past, #9)
  • Beyond the Sea of Ice (The First Americans, #1)
  • People of the Sea (North America's Forgotten Past, #5)
  • My Sister the Moon (Ivory Carver, #2)
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Reindeer Moon (Reindeer Moon, #1)
Jean M. Auel, née Jean Marie Untinen is an American author best known for her Earth's Children books, a series of historical fiction novels set in prehistoric Europe that explores interactions of Cro-Magnon people with Neanderthals. As of 2010 her books have sold more than 45 million copies worldwide, in many translations.

Auel attended University of Portland, and earned an MBA in 1976. She received honor

Earth's Children (6 books)
  • The Valley of Horses (Earth's Children, #2)
  • The Mammoth Hunters (Earth's Children, #3)
  • The Plains of Passage (Earth's Children, #4)
  • The Shelters of Stone (Earth's Children, #5)
  • The Land of Painted Caves (Earth's Children, #6)
“But when did you see her, talk to me? When did you see her go into the cave? Why did you threaten to strike a spirit? You still don't understand, do you? You acknowledged her, Broud, she has beaten you. You did everything you could to her, you even cursed her. She's dead, and still she won. She was a woman, and she had more courage than you, Broud, more determination, more self-control. She was more man than you are. Ayla should have been the son of my mate.” 37 likes
“The earth we leave is beautiful and rich; it gave us all we needed for all the generations we have lived. How will you leave it when it is your turn? What can you do?” 15 likes