Start by marking “Little Clearing in the Woods (Little House: The Caroline Years, #3)” as Want to Read:
Little Clearing in the Woods (Little House: The Caroline Years, #3)

Little Clearing in the Woods

(Little House: The Caroline Years #3)

Meet Caroline Quiner......the little girl who would grow up to be Laura Ingalls Wilder's mother. Caroline and her family are leaving the little town of Brookfield and moving to a new house in a clearing among the big trees of Concord, Wisconsin. As the Quiners travel through the dense forest, Caroline is excited, but she is also a little bit afraid. Will shelike her new ho ...more
Published April 30th 1998 by HarperTrophy (first published April 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Little Clearing in the Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Clearing in the Woods

Lexy
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was cute
Lisa Baker
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really liked it. I especially liked reading and watching the growing fondness between Mr. Holbrook and the entire Quiner family. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Jaime K
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book where I saw/read the author's note. I love that Martha definitely became Martha Carpenter and that Caroline was a snap of a girl.

The Quiners have to move to Concord, 30 miles out of Brookfield.
It's still weird for me to think that such a drive took days.
It humors me that Charlotte insisted on toting her bake oven across the state.

It's amazing the peace that can be found in new landscapes.
I find it very interesting (and a good kick in t
Michelle
This is the third book in the series and in my opinion, the weakest. While it’s still good, not a lot actually happens.

The third book finds Caroline and her family moving from Brookfield, where they’ve been based the previous two books, to Concord in Wisconsin. A distance of approximately 27 miles, but in those days, probably a good three or more days travelling by wagon, with lots of mishaps and wolves along the way!

The author’s note is the same as the previous book, and states that Laura had
Leah
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
My partner at work and I have been watching Little House on the Prairie during the long, slow night shifts. This sparked my interest in revisiting the Caroline Years, read long ago when they were still being written.

I really enjoyed this series. The writing is engaging, Caroline is a wonderful character, and the author does a fantastic job of bringing her, her family, and her household to life. If I had had the patience, this would have been fun to share with my son. As it was, I very much enjo
Heidi
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
My fourth grader checked this out from the library, so I read it, too. I had expected a poor knock-off of the beloved Laura Ingalls Wilder books, but was pleasantly surprised. The author thoroughly researched Caroline Quiner's childhood, and did an excellent job writing in the upbeat style of the LIW books.
Kate H
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
None of the other "Little House Years" books are as good as the ones about Laura but other then the Laura books I prefer the Martha and Charlotte books. I don't enjoy the Caroline books as much because they are a bit uneven for me with some in the series being really good and others lacking.
Becky
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favorite so far of the pre Laura books
Becca
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are SO GOOD!!!! They read aloud so well. I'm shocked with each of The Caroline Years books I read that they are just as great as The Little House on the Prairie books!!! 🙌
Galina Krasskova
my god daughter loves this series. I end up reading it to her quite often and she never gets tired of it. It's a bit saccharine, but shows the hardships of 19th century pioneer life.
Dayna
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
this is a really good book. it is about Caroline, Laura Ingalls mom when she was a girl i really enjoyed this book i hope you do to!
Nivain
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stephanie
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of our family's favorites.
A classic.
A great choice for every child's bookshelf.
Kristen Luppino
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Since these books are out of print they keep getting more expensive, but it is totally worth it, because I will read these to my children some day. This book really solidifies Caroline's character, and I love how this story is rendered to be true to letters written about her and to fit the Ma we know and love. So good.
Rosa Cline
This is the third book in the Little House books Caroline series. As with the others this third book was better than the first due to already knowing the characters and being able to just enjoy the storyline and being 'there in the moment' with them. A simple but heartwarming easy read, perfect to help drift your mind into another time and place before you have to go to bed. Love these books!

In this book Caroline along with her mother and brothers and sisters have to move from town due to the o
Rea K
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
*throws hat into air* Wisconsin becomes a state! *cheers* Unfortunately, it passes without fanfare. *cries*
The Quiners have toddled to Concord, Wisconsin, 30 miles from Brookfield. It would be an easy-peasy half hour trip today, but it took them three whole days. *fans self*
Hell, I tried to compare rebuilding our house and clearing land to what they had to do and wanted to put myself in the corner for whinging about it. These guys had scads less and whinged scads less. I'm soft, I know.
A coup
Elizabeth
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Little Clearing in the Woods finally starts to lift the Caroline books out of the pit of mediocrity they were sinking into. The family moving, the hardships they face on the new land, the new people they meet—all combine to form, if not a particularly dramatic book, at least enough tension to generate some excitement and interest.

The first half of the book has some overly dramatic conflict with wolves, delivered a bit clunkily, but once the family reaches their new home, it settles d
Rebecca
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this entry in the Caroline years; it's fascinating insight into what Laura Ingalls' mother was like as a child and what her life was like. For some reason, I had the impression that she had come from a well-to-do Boston family, and had married 'beneath herself' (in contemporary eyes) in marrying Charles Ingalls. But her family were pioneers as well, camping on the road and clearing space in the woods for their cabin, and so poor that they had to spend the winter cooking for day laborer ...more
Ashley Perham
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think I liked this book about the same as the last one. It does seem like we've taken a step back in time, instead of ahead though. I enjoyed getting to see the Quiner family in action. I also enjoyed the times Charlotte loosened up a bit. The riverbank scene was fun! Also, I can't wait to see what happens with Miles and his brother. Also, I can sense where this Holbrook thing is going, and I'm not sure I like it. He is very kind though. Also, was it just me, or did going up to people and aski ...more
Mary-Jane
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ma manages to buy land with a cabin in what would become Concord, Wisconsin. Her neighbour from Brookfield and her brother-in-law move her and the family and help to get them settled, including clearing trees for a crop. A drought followed by a severe storm ruins the crops, so ma supports the family by preparing meals for the crude workers of a rich man (whose wife is too ill to do the cooking for them). In this way, ma meets Frederick Holbrook, a kind and quiet worker who ends up proposing to m ...more
Kasey
Mar 25, 2010 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book but nothing significant happens in it. I would greatly encourage Little House fans to read the whole little house series beginning with Laura's great grandmother, Martha, and ending with Laura's daugher, Rose. It was so much fun reading about the different times these women lived in. Rated three stars because it is way below my reading level so it is a entertaining fast read.
Audrey Hein
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked the book pretty well but it wasn't as awesome as the first 2 ,I liked the way that Caroline gos into the mush pot just so that cute little Thomas could play drop the handkerchief. And I liked the way that mr.holbrook stands up for the family when the men get really rude. I Think it was a pretty good book and the Caroline books are one of my personal favorite
Abby
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very charming account of the experiences Laura's Ma had as she was a little girl. I love the big, happy family they have. It was neat to see "Ma" having some of the same experiences Laura would later have, like making/coloring butter, and putting in glass windows for the first time. I also loved the Christmas chapter. :)
Amy
Really liked this book. Cried in the chapter about Christmas, it was just so touching, for reasons you will discover all on your own. Have the next book in the series on hold at the library and am excited to read it! They are, sadly, out of publication now but I am still adding them to my wish list to share with my own children some day.
Heidi-Marie
I was definitely enjoying this series more than the Rose one. Just as much as the original series, too. I loved the characters and I loved how refined the family was even though they were "country folk."
Huan-hua
Sep 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
The Caroline books (about Laura Ingalls Wilder's mother) are not as interesting as either the original Little House series or the ones about LIW's daughter Rose Wilder Lane, but this one was pretty entertaining, inoffensive, and forgettable. Notable for repeated use of the word "peart."
Gl
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: laura ingalls fans
I am a huge fan of the Laura Ingalls stories!!! The tried and true Laura stories are by far my favorites, but when I came across stories of her great-grandmother all the way down to her daughter, I was thrilled.
Britt-goodie of newsieness
It was one of those books I read in my "speed through the Little House books" time. Because I kept reading and reading the Caroline series. It was like a mad reading spur. I was like, "This is so good! This is so good!"
Shannon
May 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
It was good. I enjoyed reading it. I loved the way that the author made simple details seem important. Some parts were packed with excitement but others were boring. Overall it was quite a good book and I would recommend it to pre-teens/teens.
Lauri
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really do like the Caroline years and thinking of her as something other than the always perfect Ma. I just always feel like I need to put in the disclaimer that these are historical fiction, and events in the book shouldn't be assumed to have actually happened to Caroline Ingalls.

• The Road from Roxbury (Little House: The Charlotte Years, #3)
  • A Little House of Their Own (Little House: The Caroline Years, #7)
  • On the Other Side of the Hill (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #4)
  • Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years
  • West from Home: Letters of Laura Ingalls Wilder, San Francisco, 1915  (Little House #11)
  • My Heart is on the Ground: the Diary of Nannie Little Rose, a Sioux Girl, Carlisle Indian School, Pennsylvania, 1880 (Dear America)
  • A Little House Sampler: A Collection of Early Stories and Reminiscenses
Maria D. Wilkes first read the Little House books as a young girl and has been fascinated by pioneer history ever since. She did extensive research on the Quiner, Ingalls, and Wilder families, studied original sources and family letters and diaries, and worked in close consultation with several historians and the Laura Ingalls Wilder estate as she wrote the Caroline Years books. She lives in New J ...more

Little House: The Caroline Years (7 books)
  • Little House in Brookfield (Little House: The Caroline Years, #1)
  • Little Town at the Crossroads (Little House: The Caroline Years, #2)
  • On Top of Concord Hill (Little House: The Caroline Years, #4)
  • Across the Rolling River (Little House: The Caroline Years, #5)
  • Little City by the Lake (Little House: The Caroline Years, #6)
  • A Little House of Their Own (Little House: The Caroline Years, #7)