Start by marking “The Pharos Objective (Morpheus Initiative, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Pharos Objective (Morpheus Initiative, #1)

The Pharos Objective (Morpheus Initiative #1)

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  396 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
A legendary treasure chamber hidden beneath the ruins of the Pharos Lighthouse, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, has defied discovery for over two thousand years. Until today. Until the Morpheus Initiative - a team of psychic arcaeologists- use their abilities to solve the mysteries of the Pharos and bypass its deadly defenses. But as they close in on the cha ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 461 pages
Published July 6th 2010 by Deviation

To ask other readers questions about The Pharos Objective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pharos Objective

Stan Tremblay
Jun 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Coming out July, The Pharos Objective, as stated by Kevin J. Anderson, is "the X-files meets Indiana Jones" where a team of remote viewers go in search of The Pharos Lighthouse, one of the fabled Wonders of the Ancient World. David Sakmyster takes you on a wild ride filled with deadly traps, prophetic puzzles, and a fight for ones-self. In this sophomoric appearance, Sakmyster doesn't deny you a great read!
Patti
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love historical thrillers. This one has a lot to enjoy; history, treasure, intrigue, psychics, travel. I highly recommend it.
Ed
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible read!

Fast pace and a real page turned. Indiana Jones with National Treasure combined make this a wonderful, fantiful read and story.
Kat Lebo
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This author, David Sakmyster, is new to me, and because I was enduring a week plus long power outage when I read it, I didn't look him up online. I know this is the first in a series called "The Morpheus Initiative," which seems to center around a group of remote viewers and their quest for finding ancient lost artifacts. The book cover has this quote from a reviewer: "Indiana Jones meets the X-Files -- and a damned good story." -- Kevin J. Anderson.

In this first novel, "The Pharos Objective," t
Stefi Il Giardino delle rose
Il protagonista di questo romanzo è Caleb, giovane archeologo dotato di poteri decisamente particolari.

Il padre di Caleb era scomparso durante la Prima guerra del Golfo, il suo Apache era stato abbattuto ma il corpo mai ritrovato. Da quel momento Caleb aveva iniziato ad avere delle visioni, ma sua madre invece di riconoscere le capacità del figlio, lo mandò in terapia.

Fino a quel momento le visioni si erano limitate a suo padre, lo vedeva vivo, torturato e che chiedeva aiuto, ma tutti cercavano
Marie
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Scrape-Of-The-Teeth Thriller Escapes

The Morpheus Initiative Series

The entire Morpheus Initiative is action and adventure and scrape-of-the-teeth thriller escapes. I love historical conspiracy stories (well-written ones, anyways). And despite pretty high expectations on my part for how fun it would be to read this set, this entire set of books blew those expectations to shreds as the action whipped past at a far greater rate than I expected.

Different stories use different methods to get the acti
Verushka
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Check out this review and others here:http://editingeverything.com

The best way to describe this book is unexpected – nothing remains the same by the time the book ends. Which yes, that’s something you want to say about most books, but this is the kind of ‘unexpected’ that had me going back and reading sections again to make sure I was reading things correctly.

Caleb Crowe is a professor and a remote viewer. He was part of the Morpheus Initiative at one time, but left when his sister, Phoebe, was
Julie
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-books
For 2000 years, treasure hunters have been trying to locate a legendary chamber hidden under the Pharos Lighthouse in Alexandria. In this chamber, they believe, lies the lost treasure of Alexander the Great. Within the first few pages of The Pharos Objective, David Sakmyster throws the reader into the hunt as we go back to 861 A.D. and watch treasure hunters trigger the deadly traps contained within the Pharos. As we hear over and over throughout the book: "The Pharos protects itself."

Today, the
Lynne Cantwell
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I was on a World Fantasy Convention panel with David Sakmyster a few years ago. The panel was about using mythology in fantasy stories, and I made a mental note then to read this book. I'm a little ashamed to admit that I am only now getting around to it.

Our hero is Caleb Crowe, a university professor whose family is adept at remote viewing -- a paranormal talent in which the subject can see events happening across the world, or even far back in time. Caleb's still beating himself up for an acci
Cheryl
Aug 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caleb Crowe used to enjoy the life of his mother and father being archaeologists. Caleb and his sister would get to travel to exotic locations and help look for lost artifacts. Things changed when Caleb’s father disappeared. Caleb quickly left that life and became a Professor.

Years later, Caleb’s mother wants him to rejoin the Morpheus Initiative. The Initiative is in search of the Seventh Wonder of the Ancient World, The Pharos Lighthouse. It is told that hidden under the lighthouse is the gra
Lindsey Lang
Aug 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
i think i'd actually give this one close to a 4.5. it was an intriguing joyride full of mystery, ancient times, places and artifacts and just good old fun! the characters were all very detailed and drawn out and overall it seems to give the traditional good guy/bad guy a bit of a twist. i should say that if you're not interested in ancient egyptian stories or myths you might be bored during some sections of the book but seeing as i've always been fascinated by that period of time the book kept m ...more
Matt
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
The Pharos Objective is a nice mystery/thriller surrounding an ancient mystery. Fans of Lincoln Child, Douglas Preston, and Jeremy Robinson should enjoy this novel.

The story surrounds the Pharos lighthouse and the vault underneath it. Different groups try to access it. I liked the set up around the mystery of the Pharos vault. The characters were good to read about and I enjoyed the main character Caleb.

The ending was a little anticlimactic in that Caleb kind of "defeated" the main badguy withou
Amy
Feb 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: loc-egypt
The Crowe family has been blessed ?? with the gift of visions and remote viewing. They focus their energies on research into the Pharos lighthouse in Alexandria, Egypt, where a possible treasure awaits.

An interesting combination of a well-paced, captivating read with lots of annoying jumps of logic. The protagonist, Caleb Crowe, bounces back and forth between hating his mother, loving his mother, working with the psychic group, and disavowing the psychic group, with no motivation given for his c
Randall Christopher
Sep 10, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a pretty decent book and I'm interested to see how the next one pans out. It left me wanting a little bit more, but the middle left me wanting to be done. It was kind of slow moving, but some interesting concepts. The main character was able to telepathically place himself in moments throughout history and live through that character's eyes. The premise had a lot of promise, and the author did a good job in executing it. I was intrigued by the lighthouse before reading this, and it made ...more
Jeni
Oct 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked the premise of the story, especially the historical background. What history buff doesn't enjoy a good fantastical foray into a legend as fascinating as that of the great Lighthouse at Alexandria? Unfortunately I found the remote viewing basis to be distracting. I normally find no problem in a suspension of belief, especially for something as well grounded in research and history, and I've recently enjoyed a couple of books based on this. But whether in the writing style.or how it w ...more
Gina
Aug 13, 2010 rated it liked it
My third first-reads win, and I hope they keep coming! This book is definitely not a fast read, but it's well worth the effort. It has a little bit of everything: mystery, intrigue, adventure, suspense, romance, history, and even a little fantasy/sci-fi thrown in for good measure. I liked the adventure side of things the most, although Caleb's constant ups and downs got so frustrating. I like Caleb, though, and I am looking forward to reading more of his and the Morpheus Initiative's adventures.
Kristina
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'll try most anything related to ancient history, but I was a bit hesitant to give this a try because the plot seemed outlandish and there are so many other books vying for attention. But since I'd seen (and enjoyed) George Clooney's The Men Who Stare at Goats, I figured I'd give it a try. I was not disappointed. Sure there's a CIA-driven mind-reading element and mystical/mental time travel stuff, but that didn't hinder me from enjoying a fun read that kept me turning the pages. I'm looking for ...more
Shay
Aug 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Disclosure: won this in a Goodreads Giveaway. I've read a lot of garbage recently- The Passage, Patterson, a variety of urban fiction so bad it went back to the library unfinished. So, what a nice change to read a book that successfully combines the supernatural, a thriller, and a historical. On top of all of that, the author really did a great job of capturing the difficulties of living in a family. The guilt that pushes us away from each other when we most need each other. Really looking forwa ...more
Kelly
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, read-in-2013
This is a great book for those that love action and adventure books.
Caleb Crowe is a psychic that uses remote viewing to look back into the past to aid archaeology.
His mother and sister belong to The Morpheus Initiative which is a group dedicated to remote viewing to which Caleb once belonged.
I thought it was a nice take on using psychic abilities and the book is a roller-coaster of an adventure.
Spring Transleau
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing

I thoroughly enjoyed this series of books. Once I started reading them, I had a hard time putting them down. They were well written, full of twists and turns, full of exciting escape scenes, had some romance, mystery(ancient and current), and much more. This was a fun read. The books, (The Morpheus Objective Series, 1,2,3) should be read in order. I recommend finding a comfortable chair. It will be hard to put the books down
Collette Scott
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a very philosophical book. I enjoyed reading it, as there was plenty of dialogue mixed in with action here and there. The book kept progressing, and the amount of research involved must have been staggering. Well done, Mr Sakmyster! The only reason I did not give it five stars is because there seemed to be some conflicts/dicussions that were resolved too rapidly, almost in a rushed manner that ended up confusing me. I really liked the book, though, and I will keep reading him!
Pat
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh this is good. Started reading it on a whim and then couldn't put it away. Exciting and entertaining tale mixing the history of ancient times with today. Characters with exceptional powers are in a a race to uncover secrets from the past that will impact on all human kind.

David Sakmyster has written a great story that deserves to be read. I will be looking forward now to the next I'm the series.
Janet
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
good story
J. Ewbank
Aug 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book by David Sakmyster, was a great read. The characters were well sketched and flushed out. The thesis or story line was believable and drawn from both history and imagination. It is well written and one wants to read until finished. Ready for the next book in the series.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Linda
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
An intriguing adventure melding mysterious secret organizations, murder, a modern quest and government cover-up with ancient artifacts and ancient knowledge and paranormal that kept the pages turning.
Mary
I found this book tedious. The story seem to go on forever. Although I thought the ending was acceptable it simply wasn't worth the effort. I was hoping for more adventure but it just never materialized. Indiana Jones it ain't. No sequels for me.
Marilyn Tafro
A good story about the Pharos which was the original library in Alexandria and people who are "Remote Viewers" Caleb searches for the entrance to the treasure rooms with his sister Phoebe, his Mother & George Waxman.
David III
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun romp

If you're a fan of Steve Berry, you'll enjoy this. Part history, part science, part fantasy, all fun. Well copy edited as well, which is not always the case with indies.

David W. Moore III
Author of The Shroud
Traci Bailey
Jun 29, 2011 rated it liked it
It was light and fun, a quick read. I liked the India Jones feel, I was worried that the remote viewing angle would detract from the book. But the author was able to make it work by focusing more on how it made the Caleb feel then anything else. Good in flight or pool side material.
Pat
Oct 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Very much for fans of ancient Egyptian archaeology, a decent read with some interesting forays around the ancient Mediterranean in chase of what lies below the old Pharos lighthouse.
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
  • The Voynich Cypher
  • The Eighth Scroll
  • The Transformed
  • The Moses Legacy
  • The God Machine
  • The Bones of Odin (Matt Drake, #1)
  • The Babylonian Codex (Jax Alexander Mystery #3)
  • The Sacred Cipher (The Jerusalem Prophecies, #1)
  • The Lazarus Vault
  • Pyramid
  • The Lost Labyrinth (Daniel Knox, #3)
  • The Last Ember
  • The Medusa Amulet
  • The Book of Q
  • The Tombs of Eden (Eden Saga, #1)
  • The Babylon Rite
  • Here Comes Your Man
David Sakmyster is the award-winning author of more than a dozen novels, including Jurassic Dead and The Morpheus Initiative, a series featuring psychic archaeologists (described as “Indiana Jones meets the X-Files”). He also has an epic historical adventure, Silver and Gold, the horror novel Crescent Lake and a story collection, Escape Plans. His latest is Final Solstice, and his screenplay, Nigh ...more
More about David Sakmyster...

Morpheus Initiative (4 books)
  • The Mongol Objective  (Morpheus Initiative, #2)
  • The Cydonia Objective (Morpheus Initiative, #3)
  • The Tesla Objective (The Morpheus Initiative #4)