Start by marking “Never Less Than A Lady (Lost Lords #2)” as Want to Read:
Never Less Than A Lady (Lost Lords #2)

Never Less Than A Lady

(The Lost Lords #2)

New York Times bestselling author Mary Jo Putney continues her stunning Lost Lords series with this stirring, sensual story of a rebellious nobleman drawn to a lovely widow with a shocking past.

As the sole remaining heir to the Earl of Daventry, Alexander Randall knows his duty: find a wife and sire a son of his own. The perfect bride for a man in his position would be a b
Published May 1st 2010 by Zebra Books

To ask other readers questions about Never Less Than A Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Less Than A Lady

seton
Jan 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hardcore Putney Fans only
Shelves: m-o-c
I guess I am just relieved. Sadly relieved. This is much better than the ridiculous first book in the series (Loving A Lost Lord) but still not a romance I would ever recommend to readers new to MJP.

For longterm readers of MJP like myself, this historical regency will come across as a bit generic. Having just reread The Wild Child(1999) earlier this week, I couldnt help noticing how much shorter and choppier her sentences have gotten which is very on-trend, as well as the hackneyed "Mine. Mine.
Kübra  Yağmur Aslanhan
Bu kadının kitaplarında konu var da kalan kısmı hep bir meh! seviyesinde bence.
Hiçbir noktada beni tam anlamıyla tatmin etmiyor. Hep bir şeyler eksik.

Okuduğum ikinci kitabı, ikisi de beni bu düşünceden döndürmüyor. Devamını merak ediyor olsam bile bu duruma tekrar düşmek istemediğimden yazara sanırım burada veda ediyorum. :(
Zoe
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
A slightly better read than the first book in the series but still, disappointing.

I enjoy MJP's style. I always have. One can hear her writing voice in this book, her signature style, so to speak. The first book in the series was very disappointing with 2 un-memorable characters. The heroine of the first book Mariah, featured prominently in this book too and I was bored out of my mind whenever Mariah popped up. She was a boring character then and a nuisance now.

Alexander and Julia met briefly
Jacqueline J
Caz

Another audiobook I borrowed from the library, principally because Simon Prebble is one of my favourite narrators.

Julia, a widow, is a country midwife, who had captured the interest of Alex Randall in the previous book - although he was reluctant to show any interest and gave her to believe he disliked her. But Julia has a dark past and is hiding from her late husband's father, who believea that she murdered her late husband (who was Alex's cousin). In fact, he was an abusive bastard a
Gizella Tóth
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nem értem, miért nem kedvelik sokan a szpojlereket meg a romantikát. Roppant megnyugtató érzés úgy olvasni, hogy az elején tudom, mi lesz a vége. :D
Abszolút kiszámítható történet... és ezzel együtt imádtam, csak túl gyorsan véget ért. Egy utószót mindenképp elbírtam volna. :)

ui.: Hanem a fordítót a szerkesztővel együtt visszaküldeném az iskolapadba, a fenyőbe is. Hát senki sem tud már a fordítók közt annyira sem angolul, sem magyarul, hogy tudja, egy Miladyt nem tegezzünk?! Senki sem olvasott kl
LaFleurBleue
It was just ok, and frankly slightly boring.
I had not read the previous instalment in the series in which Randall met Julia and not having insights on the future couple's first meeting is always an intense disappointment to me. Several times I almost felt like the author was trying to rub in that number 1 in the series should have been read before.
The heroine had been through very difficult experience, with physical and mental abuse from her first husband, an accident perceived as murder, reject
Tina
Pretty good.

Mature hero and heroine both with a lot of sense. Solid reasons for getting married. Beliveable and multilayered romantic conflicts. Audiobook with Simon Prebble doing fantastic narration. Great way to pass a few hours.
Elis Madison
If you read Loving A Lost Lord, you probably knew that it was inevitable there'd be a romance between Julia Bancroft, Mariah's friend, who is a midwife in Hartley, and Major Alexander Randall.

I mean it was obvious, the way they instantly hated each other.

These two were meant to be .

The book starts with Randall being summoned home by his not-so-doting uncle, the Earl of Daventry. This is the earl who tried to starve Randall to death some years ago. Seems the last of Daventry's sons are now dea
Shelby
Yep it's official I'm hooked on this series. So far I'm just loving these Lost Lords. Randall was a great character in the first novel as was Julia, I really enjoyed getting to read their story. Learning about Julia's secretive past was of course greatly anticipated and this didn't disappoint.

So after the mild antagonism between these two in the first book of course they were going to be the subjects of the second. I did just adore Randall as the knight in shinning armor though. He's such a gen
willaful
I was finding the writing of this story very prosaic, so when it turned out to be one of my least favorite romance themes -- the heroine afraid of sex -- there seemed no point in continuing.
Mariana
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished the series, and it was as good or better than the rest!
Sonja
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You're the answer to prayers I didn't know I'd made."

So begins the second in Ms Putney's Lost Lords series, this one following Major Alexandar Randall and Julia Bancroft (ney Lady Julia Raines). Oh my how wonderfully did these two fit!

"Half the military campaigns of the last fifteen years are engraved on my hide."

Both Julia and Alex bear both physical and mental scars from the abusive and neglectful familial relationships they endured. Both were able to overcome them through their individual
Jessica
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-disappointment
3 stars seems a bit of a stretch for this notch in Putney's regency romance series. Let's just say that if I read this one first, I would not be motivated to ever pick up another Putney book.

I found it sadly lacking. Julia and Randall's characters were not at all engaging. Randall remained very flat throughout the entire story; I couldn't seem to mentally inject any emotion into any of his dialogue. I felt like yawning every time a paragraph started in his mind, which is unfortunate because Rand
Irishgirl1247
Ehhh, not loving it. Cheesy in a bad way. Randal can't get Julia, a woman he met escorting a friend to London in the first book, out of his head. When opportunity strikes for them to get married, to save her of course, he jumps at the opportunity. Because his crush has suddenly turned into, “I must have her!” Oh and before I forget, it seems that all the girls in this series are “secret ladies”, either they don’t know they are a lady and then surprise you are! Or they know and are hiding out. So ...more
Dawn
May 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of another Lost Lord of Westerfield Academy. Alex is a war veteran who returned from the battlefield when he found out he was heir-presumptive to his uncle, an earl. The previous heir, the uncle's son and his cousin, had died unexpectledly. Several years have passed and on his way through a village, he decides to stop to visit his late cousin's widow. He had always admired her and just recently found out where she lived under an assumed name as a much-loved midwife and healer. ...more
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Aug 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical romance
Shelves: romance, read-in-2010
I do enjoy a skillfully written tale, and this one does not disappoint.

There are hints of Cinderella in this plot, but I won't spoil it for anyone. I like that the hero's insecurities are revealed and addressed along with the heroine's. The only thing that kept this book from a top rating is that while the heroine experiences emotional growth, the author didn't construct a hero who does.

The subplots and the main plot are interwoven to the point where some incidents have bearing on each. It was
Sharyn
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading for the second time I think. I hadn't reviewed it like the first, so not sure. I love the story of Julia and Rand. Julia has been abused by her father and her husband and doesn't trust men. Rand had met her when she chaperoned Mariah in the 1st book, and tried to stay away from her because he apparently was attracted to her right off. There are many twists and turns to this story and some miscommunications that caused some unnecessary heartache. We get to see the Duke and Mariah and Kiri ...more
kris
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is yet another romance where all the ~tension~ would have been solved if character A would have just asked character B what was wrong. THEY BOTH ACKNOWLEDGED THE TENSION: JUST TALK ABOUT IT!! COMMUNICATION, IT'S KEY!! I've read the Cosmo articles; I know the drill.

Also, all the conflicts in the book were wrapped up in the last 2 chapters. Disappoint.
Angie
Jun 06, 2015 marked it as big-fat-dnf  ·  review of another edition
Thought I'd give my first Putney a try. Some very nice moments in the first half (despite it totally being a road trip novel), but then it just faded so far so fast that I elected to tuck and roll off that carriage while I still could.
Andrea Jackson
Part of the Lost Lords series troubled boys who attended the Academy.

Alexander Randall is very wonderful tormented character.

Reread in 2015. The attitudes of Alex and Julia are anachronistic and Julia's recovery not really believable but it was still a wonderful story.
Elaine
Jul 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 34%

I just can't get into this book, it's boring me, so I'm giving up (for now). Maybe I'll revisit it at some other time but for now I'm moving on.
Christine Seybolt
Apr 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intoxicating, intriguing, provocative and thrilling are only a few words to describe, “NEVER LESS THAN A LADY”, second book in “THE LOST LORDS”series by New York Times Bestselling author, Mary Jo Putney.

Prickly Major Lord Randal is the last remaining of the Daventry family. Forced to come home and take the title and do his duty—meaning get a wife and begot an heir. Biddable wife is what he believes he should attain but the beautiful and charismatic widow Julia Bancrofts haunts him day and night
Jamie
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A real plot and sweet characters, hooray!
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

I purchased the Audible book after a great sale recently. I had read and liked Mary Jo Putney's works in the past (though not in the last decade) and decided to find a good Summer read.

What I really liked about this book is that it managed to avoid nearly every cliche that are so rampant in the romance field right now. Despite there being many chances, there were no "great misunderstanding" and the characters reacted log
Deidre
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not normally a fan of typical romance novels, so I wouldn't have paid for this book or gone out of my way to read it, but I ended up reading it while doing a clinical rotation, because someone left it in the drawer, and I didn't have anything else with me to read. The breaks were enough time to get it read in about a week, since it's not a terribly difficult book.

So.. It's basically like every other typical romance novel available. Manly dude with lovely muscled frame finds somewhat helples
BJ Rose
Much better than the first book of the Lost Lord series - Mary Jo has found her way again with this story. The characters were so much more realistic and believable than the couple in Loving A Lost Lord, and I liked the way Randall and Julia talked to each other instead of pretending problems didn't exist. A couple of those very real problems were resolved almost too easily (and maybe unrealistically?), which kept this from being a 5* read for me.
Patricia Kate
I just discovered Mary Jo Putney and have been racing through some of her backlist. Her books for me are usually 4 stars . . .but not this one so far. Frankly, I've found it depressing and some aspects (the initials) disturbing. The tension in the book isn't between the H/h. It's about whether they can heal emotionally from their battle wounds, I am very sympathetic to these characters but the story is not quite what I'm looking for in a romance.
Rosey Waters
The trope in this book, of a horrific first marriage, followed by finding love again, is just not my cup of tea. Apart from that, I did enjoy this book, but because it made up so much of the emotional journey, I found myself annoyed more than anything.

I'm hoping its the trope, cause I'm heading into the book after this one now!
Alexandra Calaway
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Woman suffering from post-rape and physical battery PTSD finds Man who loves her and will never touch her without her consent, no matter how long it takes because he loves her and damn his cock. Woman takes charge of her life and her recovery to eventually flourish and find happiness.

Are you kidding me? Oh my god. Thank you, Mary J.

I could complain about how fast the Heroine's recovery was, but goddammit, I don't want to read about the YEARS it takes for PTSD sufferers to get their life back.
2017 Reading Chal...: Never Less Than A Lady by Mary Jo Putney 1 19 Feb 07, 2015 11:51AM

• Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • A Hellion in Her Bed (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #2)
  • The Surgeon's Lady (Channel Fleet, #2)
  • The Secret Duke (Malloren, #10)
  • An Indecent Proposition
  • The Escape (The Survivors' Club #3)
  • Provocative in Pearls (The Rarest Blooms #2)
  • Restless Heart (Heart, #2)
  • For Your Arms Only (The Bow St. Agents: Spies in Love, #2)
  • A Winter Scandal (Legend of St. Dwynwen, #1)
  • Wicked All Day (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #5)
  • To Tame a Dangerous Lord (Courtship Wars, #5)
  • When Harry Met Molly (Impossible Bachelors, #1)
  • The Secret To Seduction (Holt Sisters Trilogy, #3)
  • Mad about the Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #7)
  • Some Like It Wild (Kincaid Highland, #2)
  • The Perfect Lady Worthe
  • It Happened One Season
She writes young adult fiction as M.J. Putney.

Mary Jo Putney was born in Upstate New York with a reading addiction, a condition for which there is no known cure. After earning degrees in English Literature and Industrial Design at Syracuse University, she did various forms of design work in California and England before inertia took over in Baltimore, Maryland, where she has lived very comfortably

The Lost Lords (7 books)
  • Loving a Lost Lord (Lost Lords #1)
  • Nowhere Near Respectable (Lost Lords, #3)
  • No Longer a Gentleman (Lost Lords, #4)
  • Sometimes a Rogue (Lost Lords, #5)
  • Not Quite a Wife (Lost Lords, #6)
  • Not Always a Saint (The Lost Lords, #7)
“That’s either powerfully romantic” 0 likes