Start by marking “Back in Black (SBC Fighters, #5)” as Want to Read:
Back in Black (SBC Fighters, #5)

Back in Black

(SBC Fighters #5)

Never before published from the New York Times bestselling author

Gillian is a PR expert hired to smooth out the rough edges on hot- headed sports club president Drew Black. He's rough, raw and ready for any challenge Gillian throws his way. But which one's going to end up on top?
Published December 22nd 2009 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Back in Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back in Black

jenjn79
Aug 09, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
Rating: 2.5 / 5

Hmm, well. This book is by far better than the last book, "My Man, Michael" (which was an atrocity, IMHO), but I still didn't really like this book. And I did not like Drew. Ugh.

Series Note:
This book can probably be read as a standalone.

Summary:
Drew Black is the president of the SBC, a sport for mixed-martial-arts fighting. He's sexy, foul-mouthed, crass, tactless, but also a brilliant businessman. Which is why the owners of the SBC
Mojca
I enjoyed the few Harlequin romances I read by this author, and this is the first book in this series I've read (so I don't have all the details), but it most certainly also be the last.

This story had more holes in it than Swiss cheese, but that was only one of the problems...

1. The initial premise was stupid. Sorry, but I don't see a problem with a guy who speaks his mind. It's a breath of fresh air nowadays when everybody is lying through their teeth. Also, I had no pro
Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms
This review was originally posted on (un)Conventional Bookviews
Back in Black is filled with hot fighters, strong-willed women, romance and quite a bit of action.

Review - (un)Conventional Bookviews

Back in Black was like time-travel for me, as I have read all Foster's Ultimate stories, and the SBC Fighters series include some characters that show up there as well. Gillian and D
Colleen
Not my favorite of the SBC Fighters series, but definitely better than My Man Michael (gosh, even the thought of that one makes me shudder). This book actually has two couples in it - Drew and Gillan as well as Brett and Audrey (and I would say each couple has equal time in the book). Drew, as anyone who has been following the series, is the head of the SBC. Gillian is hired to help "tone" down his image (he has a tendency to say what he feels with no filters). It's instant attraction for both o ...more
Lover of Romance
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance In Back in Black we have the fifth book in the SBC series. Now I saw this at my library so I just grabbed it up because lately I have been in a MMA Fighter romance mood and I just became so endeared by the sound of this one. ...more
SheLove2Read
Aug 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read Oct 2011
I think this was even better the second time around. Drew is a highly intelligent but brash kind of guy. He's good at what he does, takes his business seriously and doesn't put up with the BS. My kinda guy. Gillian is equally smart, put together, sexy and a real woman and Drew can't get enough of her. They are both attracted to each other from the get-go and we're not forced into the back and forth "will he/she or won't he/she" that some authors put you through. They admit
Jess
Dec 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, lori-foster
YES!!!! Did ya hear that?? I must profoundly thank Lori Foster for returning my faith in the SBC series after the atrocity known as My Man, Michael. I shudder in remembrance of the pseudo sci/fi mistake that was. Anyway, moving on! Foster has redeemed herself with the story of Drew Black, president of the SBC fighting organization. Gillian Noode (pronounced Nude) is a PR genius who has been hired to help clean up the act of Mr. Black. Her job is to make him seem less misogynistic and rude and to ...more
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
Tina  Alicea
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved that Drew and Gillian were both such strong characters, which made them perfect for each other. Brett and Audrey were great as well especially with the difficulties they had to overcome from their pasts and their relationship. Great story!!
Cindi
May 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had forgotten what fun Lori Foster's SBC books are!

This book follows two pairs of folks who become romantically entangled, and due to the extra love-struck couple, the book sizzles but also flies by. There is no shortage of action, and even so Ms. Foster manages so show so many different sides to so many different opinions about SBC fighting. Because that is a really horrible sentence :) I'll explain.

Gillian is hired to remake Drew's public image as President of SBC. Dr
Lynsey
Dec 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-contemp
I did enjoy this and it was an entertaining couple of hours worth of read. I love Lori Foster and after 'My Man Michael', I had everything crossed that the last in this series wouldn't be a disappointment. Unfortunately for this book, 'Simon Says' (SBC Fighters 2) is one of my favourite books EVER and in comparison this book doesn't really compare, but... I liked it well enough.

Drew is the blunt talking, hot headed president of the SBC. Both him and his temper could do with a little
Willow Brook
Feb 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Back in Black is the story of a highly successful president of a mixed martial arts organization and the PR hotshot who is supposed to improve his image. Drew Black is rude, crude, foul mouthed and sexist. He's also a genius at what he does and has a softer side he hides. For that matter, he seems to want to hide his highly decent side but he is a good man. Though appalled by much of what he says and how he does things, Gillian is nonetheless drawn to Drew who is likewise attracted to her. They ...more
PepperP0t
I don't believe I'm giving 2stars to a Lori Foster book!
Already so much better than the previous book of the series (shudder violently) but definitely not the best of the series. That unfortunately isn’t a recommendation or a difficult statement.
This time out PR expert Gillian Noode takes on the assignment to makeover SBC president Drew Black who isn’t exactly PG rated nor respectful of others. He’s rude, he’s crude and quite manipulative. Shock value and single minded purpose have gotten
Elle
In many respects you can never go wrong with Lori Foster. My mom (who doesn't read romances) might argue that Foster's work is formulaic and therefore expected. This might be the case in very general terms with the plot (boy meets girl, something must be overcome, HEA) but really she puts out a lot of very different stuff. I mainly love her stuff because of her characterization. I think she writes people well. Her characters are different from book to book, and for me this is what makes me come ...more
Trish
Apr 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lori foster fans, romance readers
Excellent read. Gillian Noode a PR expert is hired to smooth over the rough edges of Drew Black, president of SBC fighting organization. Drew is having none of the make over and instigates conflict at every turn to throw Gillian off track. Gillian is hired because Drew's bosses feel that his harsh ways are running off potential profitable connections. Life heats up for the two when threats start coming in targeting Drew. Drew is typical alpha male when Gillian in caught up in the cross fire and ...more
Maura
Bookmom
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two romances for the price of one. PR consultant Gillian is hired by those financing the SBC to steer Drew Black, the man who created and lives for the SBC, into a more personable figure. He wants nothing to do with it, but is intrigued and turned on by her looks and her brain. Someone wants to discredit him in the worst way and will do anything to bring that about.

The other romance is between an up and coming fighter, Brett and Audrey, the woman who created WAVS; Women Against Viole
Darcy
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, romance
After a bad last book and 2 so so before that I was a little hesitant to read this one. But I am happy to say that this one was really good and lived up to the promise that was the first book.

I liked Drew, yes he was crude, but not in a way that set out to offend people until they crossed him. Did I think he could use those rough edges polished, yes, so I was happy to see that Gillian was hired to do just that.

You knew right from the start that sparks would fly and the tw
Janet
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i have just finished this book today and i loved it!!!!! this book is about gillian and drew they meet and as soon as she sees him she thinks he is just another playor looking for some ass to nail. but later she finds out he's different but only with her. as soon as drew sees her he thinks she is just some up tight broad with a stick up her ass.

but he finds out she's more different than most women like she dosnt put up with his language, she'll be bold when she wants to, and that sh
Kerry  sullivan
This book was reviewed for Musings of a bookworm

The Blurb

My Thoughts
How much did I love this book?
I thoroughly enjoyed this instalment of this series. The story was exciting and hot and the plot tight and kept my interest. I would have liked to know why Millie was as she was/>/>
Wendy
I have to say that this one was a bit of a disappointment. I found myself putting off reading (which I don't normally do) and watching TV. I thought that it might get better as time went on but I was wrong. The main characters were only alright. I thought that the real story was with the new fighter that the main character was trying to recruit. I can only give this one 3 out of 5 stars.
Rebecca
Feb 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Debbie
Apr 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was just so awesome!!! I loved everything about it. I really enjoyed Drew and Gillian. One thing though, all through the story I kept feeling like I shouldn't be liking Drew so much because of his of his raw personality and his way with words, but, I just loved him regardless.
Lucy Monroe
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lori-foster
Back in Black is the 5th book in Lori's series on MMA fighters as protective, Alpha, sexy heroes (yum, you know how much I love those!). I read this back in 2010, but it is a book that I can read and read again.
laurie stith-tenney
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lori-foster
I loved it. I want more PLEASE!!!!!!!!
Kristina
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book/story. I was looking forward to learning more about Drew. I still am. I wanted a bounce back from the huge let down of My Man, Michael (which I still haven't gotten over). I didn't get it. This was a joke. It really was. This was 2 novellas shoved into one book to make a novel. Brett and Audrey were great, but I got more out of their story than I did from Drew and Gillian, the main characters. I know nothing about either of them. I don't know why they work or why they ...more
Ochie
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, it took me awhile to warm up to this book. I don't know why.. Maybe I'm not into MMA or something? Or maybe it's something else? It just didn't sit well much for me.. I didn't like the side-story much at the beginning - the one of Audrey and Brett. I was hoping the story would have focused more on Drew and Gillian. Oh well... I kinda liked the ending though... And as to how Gillian and Drew admitted their feelings for each other. :)
Robin Franks
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Great wrap up to the SBC series. Getting to know Drew Black was awesome. I really enjoyed the secondary romance between Brett and Audrey. Brett's background is a good way to bring attention to the plight of way to many kids in today's world. The humor and drama are perfectly balanced and the bedroom scenes are hot, hot, hot! I would recommend this story to any adult reader who enjoys sexy heroes and strong heroines.
bjneary
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Lori Foster romance with an irreverent male, Drew who needs his image cleaned up if he is to remain the head of the SBC. Gillian has been hired to reshape Drew and she has her work cut out for her! Also a subplot about another aspiring fighter meeting Audrey who is involved in a group trying to clean up violent sports.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Romance Mixed Martial arts fighting 1 17 Jan 29, 2013 07:17PM
Celebrating Lori Foster's New Release With A Cyber Launch Party! 1 6 Feb 03, 2010 09:04AM
Lori Foster's New Winston Story Featured in New Anthology 1 10 Dec 01, 2009 09:59AM

• Sliding Home (Richmond Rogues, #4)
  • Boys of Summer
  • Slow Heat (Pacific Heat, #2)
  • Face-Off
  • Straight Up (Wild Hart Saga, #2)
  • Slow Burn (NASCAR, #7)
  • Hot Finish (Fast Track, #3)
  • Satisfaction Guaranteed (Mercenary/Goddard Project, #6; Goddard Project, #1)
  • The Kindred (Servant, #3)
  • Hot Property (Hot Zone, #4)
  • Hearts Under Caution
  • Turn My World Upside Down: Jo's Story
  • Double Play (Harlequin Blaze, #560)
  • Teaming Up (Harlequin NASCAR, #26)
  • Hot & Bothered (Marine, #3)

Lori hosts a very special annual “Reader & Author” event in West Chester, Ohio. Proce

SBC Fighters (5 books)
  • Causing Havoc (SBC Fighters, #1)
  • Simon Says (SBC Fighters, #2)
  • Hard To Handle (SBC Fighters, #3)
  • My Man, Michael (SBC Fighters, #4)