Start by marking “Baby Play: 100 Fun-Filled Activities to Maximize Your Baby's Potential” as Want to Read:
Baby Play: 100 Fun-Filled Activities to Maximize Your Baby's Potential

Baby Play: 100 Fun-Filled Activities to Maximize Your Baby's Potential

All new parents are eager to help their baby discover the world around them, and BABY PLAY was designed to help parents engage their infant in activities that will encourage developmental skills. From the first month home through the twelfth, BABY PLAY offers doctor-approved, age-appropriate activities that stimulate discovery, begin communication, and nurture parental bon ...more
Published April 1st 2001 by Quarry Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Play

Start your review of Baby Play: 100 Fun-Filled Activities to Maximize Your Baby's Potential
Letty Butler-Kirby
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-books
Great tools for tummy and play time with your baby.
Elizabeth Abney
Feb 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting
I really liked this book. While not dissimilar to other baby play books out there, this one has several elements that make it really easy to use, which is a plus for new parents. Like other baby play books, the activities are simple, and many are intuitive, but there are some that I would never have thought of. And like other books, each activity tells what developmental skills the activity is developing. Unlike other books though, each activity has a picture of an adult and baby pair engaging i ...more
Kristin Fletcher-spear
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, adult, 2012
This is a re-read from when Charlie was born. While I enjoyed it and used many of the things with Emma, I was really looking at it for two reasons: To figure out what the difference was between this title and the Parent's Guide to Play; and to see what I could pull to add to my Babytime repertoire.

In case you're interested, the Parent's Guide to Play incorporates almost all of the Baby Play items. Not quite all of them, but close. It also includes the Toddler Play activities.

Sadly, I'm cancell
Tracy
Apr 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
We have a joke in my family that my brothers-in-law always ask when their new baby is going to be fun. Daddies (and Mommies) can play everyday using these full-color, development oriented games and activities. I think this book is one of the best in my parenting library.

Each page has an activity, a full-color picture of a child in the middle of that activity, and an explanation of why it can aid your child's development. All the activities use things you have around the house - no special equip
Melissa Andrews
Dec 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents with children younger than 6 months
This is a nice little book with activities for parents to do with their babies from birth through 9 months. I should have had it when my son was born. Some of the ideas may seem intuitive, but sometimes as new parents, you don't realize that simple things really work well. Many of the activities can be done with things you already have in your home. One of my son's absolute favorite toys was a 'rattle' I made for him by putting dry peas into one of his bottles, which is one of the activities in ...more
Bird
I really liked this book. Are some of the games pretty simplistic? Yes. Are some of the games ones that parents will naturally play with their baby? Yes. But overall it's a great resource for giving new parents ideas on what kinds of activities their young children will enjoy.

I loved the bright pictures of babies actually engaging in the games, rather than just a list of what to do at each age. Each activity also explains how it is helping your little one's development, which I'm always interes
Khinna
Sep 08, 2008 rated it liked it
This book was filled with great activities to engage yourself and growing baby. I enjoyed the guide to activities that provided parental tips, color photographs, skill spotlights, and age labels. However, I am sure most mothers already do a lot of these activites with their child without knowing it. Not a book for a experienced mother, but for the new mother who doesnt' have a clue on how to interact with her child, this would be a great book.

Cosette is gearing up for her toddler age, but I woul
Becky
Feb 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
This book contained a lot of rhymes and songs to sing to your baby (I guess I feel I already knew enough to "play" with my baby). Some of the "activities" are simply products to expose your child to (like "mirror time") and others are pretty straightforward (like "facial expressions"). I guess it would be a great resource to anyone who had never babysat or been exposed to a baby for more than an hour. Since my son is 9 months (and the book starts with activities for newborns), I only browsed thi ...more
Talia
Oct 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Good for people who haven't spent much time around babies or children, as this is pretty straightforward and obvious, but still good to have as a reminder. (put something shiny in front of the baby!) The book also highlights what developmental skill is exercised with each "game", which is nice to know. Really, the most important thing is that you interact/play with your baby. Do SOMETHING. Heck, I read my kid "Entertainment Weekly" articles out loud. Language development and print awareness, y'a ...more
Saira
Jun 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenthood
I bought this at the recommendation of a good friend. Disclaimer: I haven't read through the entire book yet, I've only made it through the 0-3 months section. None of the activities so far have been anything you wouldn't really think to do yourself. But in a sleep deprived state of mind, its good to have a reference when you can't think of anything. Will try to update my review when I get to the other stages.
Yuli
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
Great reference for doing activities that are stimulating our baby's brain to support their developments in their first year. The book has index guide according to gross/fine motor development. Highly recommended for any parents who just have baby. Alternatively, if you can join a Gymbaroo classes. Not a type it's Gymbaroo not Gymboree althouth this book is about Gymboree.
Holly
Feb 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Baby Play is full of fun activities to do with your little one, and also explains the benefits of well known activities (such as peek-a-boo and tummy time) and at exactly what age they are most beneficial. Highly recommended for the parent who never wants to be bored by playing the same games over and over!
Enci Box
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Love this book! It has songs (thought I don't know the melodies), rhymes, as well as games & toys out of everyday objects that a parent can use to stimulate their babies, without having to buy a bunch of baby gadgets. This book is great to track what our babies are capable of at their various stages and I use it as a reference guide as to what stimulation my son currently responds to. ...more
Linda
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby
Fun book to get you excited about various games to interact with your baby. Sure, many are games that you would naturally play but I found a few good, inexpensive, new ideas, too. And I like the format: easy to peruse, divided by age, includes what skills each game works on, plus some research. We already just tried a game out.
Julie
Jun 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
I am really glad that I bought this book. Sometimes it is difficult to think of new games to play with your baby so I really found this book helpful. I liked it so much that I just bought the next book- Toddler Play.
Adriana
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, parenting
As a new mommy, this book gave me several ideas on how to interact with my baby. The book has colorful pictures to guide parents and is easy to follow because the games and activities are broken down by months. I recommend this book for stay at home moms and/or babysitters.
Rhonda
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Way too basic. I did not have the most updated version. Perhaps that one is better? It wasn't bad per se, which is why it's a Goodreads "it was okay" 2 stars. It was just not that useful for me. It's a free swap or library read/"skim" type of book.
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Nice reference book to spruce up your play time with your little one. I wouldn't explicitly recommend it, it's more of a general reference I don't feel provides any unique information--but rather a good compilation.
Jessika Vaupel
Jan 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Every parent should have this! who knew newborns could "play games". really fun!
Elizabeth
Apr 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those caring for babies
First of all... WONDERFUL pictures to catch the eye! Second of all... FUN STUFF!
Cindy
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great things to help your baby grow while playing
Beth
Sep 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Lisa gave me this for our new baby and it has TONS of great ideas!
Tauna
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library
This book is a very easy read and is a great reference for simple games you can play with your baby at any stage during the first year. Indicates which developmental area each game exercises.
Lucy
Aug 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the illustrations make this book quick and easy to use.
I wonder if there's a gymboree play group in town?
Amber
Aug 31, 2009 added it
Shelves: play
Borrowed by J. Osborne on 9/22/09
Sara
Jan 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Great ideas for baby play.... wish I'd found it 9 months ago. My girl's too big now for a lot of these but it would have been great back when she was a newborn and I had no idea what to do with her!!
Andie
Jul 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Super great ideas for young children starting from birth. Lots of activities to choose from to prevent boredom as well.
Melissa
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fun age appropriate games. We play a new game each day.
Jul 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Don't know what to do with your baby during a week of rain? Try this book.
Lauren
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great ideas for playtime with your infant. I got some ideas for changing up the play that we do. Love the suggestions to use everyday items around the house.

• Baby Sign Language Basics: Early Communication for Hearing Babies and Toddlers
  • Baby Minds: Brain-Building Games Your Baby Will Love
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: A BabyLit® Colors Primer
  • Clara Caterpillar
  • Summer Supper
  • Will Giraffe Laugh?
  • There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow!
  • G Is for Go-Go: A Sixties Alphabet