Start by marking “Plug Your Book: Online Book Marketing for Authors, Book Publicity through Social Networking” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  180 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
> Get massive exposure for your book, no special computer skills needed -- trade published or self published, fiction or nonfiction

> Discover why authors fail with paid advertising, pay-per-click, fee-based reviews, and "bestseller" campaigns

> Blog to connect with readers, driving them to Amazon and bookstores

> Boost your visibility with Google, use MySpace for
Published (first published February 25th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Plug Your Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plug Your Book

Sean Grigsby
Most of the information in this book is stuff I've learned on my own over the years. That's not to say Weber doesn't do a good job covering book marketing. It's also heavily-aimed at self- publishers. So as a traditional author, much didn't pertain to me.
Debra
Jun 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any author who wants to step-up their promotion strategy
Recommended to Debra by: Cheryl
Shelves: nonfiction
Someone once warned me that writing and publishing a book isn’t as hard as promoting it. When I first started promoting my own novel, I quickly understood what he meant. How do I go about it? How much should I spend? Where should I focus my energy? Will I even get my novel into the bricks-and-mortar stores when thousands of other new books are also being released? If I can’t, what do I do?

I found the answer in an extremely useful guide called PLUG YOUR BOOK by Steve Weber. Weber tells us how to
Lee Goldberg
Apr 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I knew a lot about promoting my books online. It turns out I was wrong. I recently received a review copy of Steve Weber's PLUG YOUR BOOK: ONLINE BOOK MARKETING FOR AUTHORS and while it told me a lot I already knew, he provides plenty of good advice, many useful short-cuts, and lots of real-world examples drawn from all over the web. My only quibble is that he gives too much emphasis to Amazon, their reader reviews, and their sales rankings than I think they merit (Weber wisely urges a ...more
Sharon Orlopp
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steve Weber has done a fantastic job providing a roadmap for authors to market their books online. He provides a peek behind the curtain with details about what works and how to do it. Although some things have probably changed since the publication date (2007), he lists key sites/links along with trends in the publishing and book industry.
pianogal
Half of this book was good. The other half was completely outdated (promoting your book on MySpace anyone?). I liked the author and it sounds like he knows what he's doing, but this really needs an update.
Jean Oram
Jun 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing-books
This book is a study guide for Book Promotion 101. Even though I have been studying up here and there on book promotion–should the time come when I have a book to promote–there were many, many goodies and explanations for how and why to do things in this book that taught me more than a few new things.

In the past 5 years, things have changed dramatically in the ways authors successfully promote their books and this book has a bit for every kind of writer. Fiction, nonfiction, self-published or no
Mick
Jun 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The World Wide Web is a wonderful Al Gore invention; at long last, authors from small houses or authors who have self-published can finally compete with the big boys in terms of marketing and promotion. But for those of us rather technically challenged (myself included) the Internet--and its virtually limitless options--can be a rather intimidating accomplice when it comes to how and where to most effectively promote your book. Enter Steve Weber and his little gem of a how-to: PLUG YOUR BOOK! ON ...more
David Goodberg
Oct 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-publication
The only reason I am noting giveing this 5/5 stars is because it is not 100% up to date. I realize that anything internet related changes by the day and this book awknowledges that in the opening pages. This book would work great as a a reference collection, updated every 2-3 years.

TO GOOD:
*Filled with numerous sites, methods, and tips to market your book
*Will give you countless ideas and encourage you to think of new methods
*Even for the Amazon/Ebay/internet Savvy, this book will offer new
Tami
Apr 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think that the reality of the writing world can be extremely overwhelming for new authors. It takes a great deal of courage to start writing in the first place. Finishing the text can take every ounce of commitment, time, and energy available. Once complete the new author finds out that the real work is about to begin: editing, trying to find a publisher who will publish the work, and then finally marketing.

Of all of the steps in the publishing process, I think that marketing is the most chal
LeAnn
Feb 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers of all stripes; small publishers
Recommended to LeAnn by: Grub Street, a non-profit writers center
Steve Weber thoroughly describes a number of ways to publicize books online, especially non-fiction books. I found the resources almost overwhelming and the news (warning?) that it can take three years for an author to build up an online presence that can positively influence sales of her books more than a little daunting.

A particularly hard-working and clever novelist might be able to succeed in self publishing with Weber's advice, but the same caveat that holds true with traditional publishing
Matt Murphy
Jun 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PLUG YOUR BOOK! is the Bible of book marketing. Steve Weber has put together an outstanding guide that will benefit both traditionally published and self-published authors. He teaches authors how to find success on Amazon and how to use social-networking and other online tools to create connections between a book and its potential audience.

The book is dated--Facebook wasn't even really on the map when PLUG YOUR BOOK! was published--but it would be a losing battle for Weber to try to keep this bo
Christina Tinglof
Jul 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Should be required reading for all new authors. Although I've had a few books published, it took me forever to finally realize that PUBLISHERS DO NOT PROMOTE BOOKS. (I wish I fully understood this ten years ago!) This book takes you by the hand and tells you all the networking options available to you. Furthermore, Weber explains what many of them are (such as Delicious and Digg) and tells you why you need them. The information on Amazon alone is worth the price of the book. My only criticism (a ...more
Donitello
Apr 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I wrote my books (2000 and 2002), the marketing strategies that Weber describes largely didn't exist. Meanwhile time has passed, and it turns out these strategies don't just sell books -- they're a GREAT way of meeting interesting people and finding ideas and info you'd never have found otherwise. Weber got me excited about reading blogs (I had always assumed they were just a bunch of boring, misspelled rants -- who knew??), and then he gave me clear, concise directions for setting up blogs ...more
Kelly  Schuknecht
Sep 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing
Plug Your Book! is full of helpful online marketing tips for authors. It's a resource guide every new author should read. Developing a platform as an author (online) is important for the overall success of a book and Weber tells authors how to do that. From creating a website to blogging (step-by-step) to promoting the book on Amazon - Weber covers it all!

I would like to see a second edition come out as technology changes so fast and new resources pop up all the time. For example, an entire cha
Dane Batty
Dec 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marketing books for marketing books definitely have a shelf life, so when I found this book it seemed new and I got excited.
It was new enough, 2007, to help in promoting books online, and it had the best tips of any book marketing book I've read. But, it was dated - it focused on using Myspace instead of Facebook for authors, and YouTube barely got a mention.
All in all it was well-written, easy to read, helpful and worth the money, but it needs to be updated (maybe I didn't read the newest editi
Nate Jordon
While there is some useful information here, much of it needs to be updated. That isn't so much a knock on the author as it is a fact of the ever-and-quickly-evolving nature of technology and the Internet. However, one thing to be careful of here is the book tends to be more of a plug for Amazon, explaining how Amazon works - not how You can make Amazon work for You. Beyond Amazon, there's some good tips regarding blogs, Google, Yahoo!, etc. but they're already dated and by 2012, the info will b ...more
Sarah Spelbring
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
It is fairly dated, from about ~2007. He goes on and on about Amazon, delves a little into blogs, and press releases, but for the most part it just sounds like he's a publicist for Amazon's Kindle.

There are a few good points, I found the press release section to be alright and picked up a couple of pointers. For the most part, I've read better, pick it up if you want (it is free after all), but don't expect much.
Rebecca Berto
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're an amateur in publishing this book is a nugget of gold: 5++ stars

Although I flicked through the last 45% as I'm old in this industry, the start of the book is so rich full of information I can't believe I only paid $0.99 for all that.

I highly recommend this for self-publishers. Take control and use your time effectively. This will fast-track you into being productive and hopefully profitable.
Edwin
Het boek, geschreven door Steve Weber, staat vol tips voor schrijvers die hun boek online willen promoten. Daarbij wordt onder meer ingegaan op de werking van een website als Amazon en de kracht van bijvoorbeeld weblogs voor de marketing van een werk.[return][return]Ik denk dat vooral schrijvers die wat minder bekend zijn hier hun voordeel mee kunnen doen.
Bob
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Plug Your Book" contained some helpful information; however, having been published in 2007, it is definitely dated. The extensive section on My Space was especially antiquated. It would be nice to see the author print a new edition of his work. Otherwise, I recommend looking for something more current.
Cecily
Aug 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has writen a book or wants to market a product or business online
This book is extremely valuable for anyone who has written a book or wants to do so. Steve Weber presents all the ins and outs of online marketing in reader-friendly, step-by-step style. His suggestions are easy to deploy, effective and oh so valuable!
Joyce
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: authors looking for book promotion ideas
Recommended to Joyce by: Cecily Markland
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the best guide on book promotion I've ever read--and I've read a lot of them! I can't wait to put Steve Weber's road map into play for my own book. If you're an author, don't delay. You need a copy of "Plug Your Book" by Steve Weber!
Teena in Toronto
I'm not on MySpace but it was interesting to learn more about it and apply the same principles to FaceBook. Plus it gave some information on sites that I've heard about but didn't really know what they were.

It's a good book if you are thinking about blogging to increase your business presence.
Shalonda Williams
Nov 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that is looking for great online promotional tips
Recommended to Shalonda by: Amazon.com
Shelves: great-guide
This book is one that I will be reading over and over again. Why? Because it has so much juicy information for promoting your book. It is easy to follow and full of resources to further help you along. I give this one a big thumbs up.
Debbie Takara Shelor
When it was time to publish my first book, this was the book that stood out as the one to follow. Following Steve's advice, I've had 2 books on the Amazon bestseller list and continue to get book sales even years after the books were published. An easy to follow how-to for online book promotion.
Paula Quinene
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing-books
This is hands-down a MUST-HAVE book for this day and age!!!! It has lots of great tips even though a few are outdated. You'll read and reread this book -- but what counts is actually incorporating the author's advice.
Michelle Dunn
Jul 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Authors
I read this book fairly quickly and used many sticky notes to mark the pages. If you are looking for good ideas on publicizing your book, this book can help you.
Kylie Griffin
Great if you're starting out/familiarising yourself with the opportunities available through social media.
Bonita Rose
Oct 10, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I need this book! I need to study this book and make all of the info inside work for me, and help me to market and sell my first book that I am currently writing! I need this one!
Julie Ferguson
Sep 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an eyeopening collection of ideas to help you promote your book online. A must for any author.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Well-Fed Self-Publisher: How to Turn One Book Into a Full-Time Living
  • Get Known Before the Book Deal: Use Your Personal Strengths to Grow an Author Platform
  • Aiming at Amazon: The New Business of Self Publishing, or How to Publish Your Books with Print on Demand and Online Book Marketing
  • Dan Poynter's Self-Publishing Manual: How to Write, Print, and Sell Your Own Book
  • Guerrilla Marketing for Writers
  • 1001 Ways to Market Your Books: For Authors and Publishers
  • The Writer's Digest Sourcebook for Building Believable Characters
  • Author Publicity Pack: Resources to Help You Take Your Book Marketing To The Next Level
  • Smashwords Book Marketing Guide
  • Red Hot Internet Publicity: An Insider's Guide to Marketing Online
  • GMC: Goal, Motivation and Conflict: The Building Blocks of Good Fiction
  • Web Copy That Sells: The Revolutionary Formula for Creating Killer Copy Every Time
  • Let's Get Digital: How To Self-Publish, And Why You Should (Let's Get Digital, #1)
  • Nine Day Novel: Writing Faster: 10K a Day, How to Write a Novel in 9 Days, Structuring Your Novel For Speed (9 Day Novel)
  • Author 101 Bestselling Book Publicity: The Insider's Guide to Promoting Your Book--and Yourself
  • 2k to 10k: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Writing More of What You Love
  • Why Authors Fail: 17 Mistakes Self Publishing Authors Make That Sabotage Their Success (And How To Fix Them)
  • Romance Writer's Phrase Book