Start by marking “Robert the Rose Horse” as Want to Read:
Robert the Rose Horse

Robert the Rose Horse

(Beginner Books)

Illus. in color. An allergy to roses causes this city horse many problems until, one time, his sneezes save the day.
Published February 12th 1962 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Robert the Rose Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robert the Rose Horse

Calista
What a lovely story this fun and winsome story is. It’s about a horse who loves roses and lives on a rose farm. He goes to the city to get away from roses and loses job after job due to a rose popping up somewhere.

This is a beginning book from the 60s with P. D. Eastman here and his digging-nest dog shows up in a part of the story. The kids loved it and we all recognized him. There is a charm here that is timeless. The kids loved this story. They did. They rooted for the horse and they knew whe
Cheryl
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fortunately my allergy to cat fur has never cost me a job! Otherwise I do empathize with poor Robert. What a ridiculous + exciting + adorable story. Well worth finding if you're lucky enough to have access to a library that hasn't yet culled it.
Robert Davis
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
First read this almost 40 years ago... I liked this book as an young boy because Robert was my name too. I especially liked to see everyone and everything go sailing through the air whenever Robert the horse sniffed a rose and sneezed. Children's books can be a lot more fun than adult books.
Tamera Fleming
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
1) Book Summary: Is about a horse and it was his birthday, everybody came out to celebrate with him and when it was time for him to blow out the cake he had to sneeze. The sneeze was so bad that they kicked him off the farm and he had to move to the city and find a job. Everywhere he went he got fired because of his sneezing. He became a police horse and saved the day by sneezing at the robbers who robbed the bank.

2) Grade level, interest level, lexile : preschool-2nd grade, interest level is 3
Ryane
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Robert the Rose Horse is my childhood favorite, by far! It tells a story about a horse with allergies who struggles to hold a job because his sneezes tend to blow everything up in the air. I just love this story and have read it a million times as a child. Now, I read it to my daughter who also loves it! Personally, this is a great book that teaches many valuable lesson. I'd recommend it to anyone with kids. It does have a page or two with bank robbers who have guns, but Robert (a police horse) ...more
Fjóla
A good early reader about the sympathetic Robert the Rose Horse. My five year old is sensitive, so I was watching him very carefully for reactions to the harsher elements of the story: separation from your parents, loosing your nice job, coming across bad guy robbers, etc. He held it together although I could tell he was touched by the story. We just made sure to flip the pages quick enough to discover the good outcomes. All in all a good, eventful story with a happy ending. It's a bit long for ...more
Naomi
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 5 year old daughter really likes this book. I purchased it at a library discard sale in 1999 or so and my eldest daughter loved me to read it to her as well (she was 3 at the time). I kept it when she outgrew it even though it has some dirty pages, though none are torn, and I am glad it is getting more use with my youngest daughter. She loves to hear about Robert's sneezing and won't let me read "kerchoo" because she has to do that part. She likes that he finds a job he can do and saves the d ...more
Tommy
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Danny's the one who always requests this one. Another one that has been read to rags (partly because Mom bought it used to start out with). Tommy likes to point out small details in the illustrations.
Muse Here
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a really cute story. The horse is lovable and sweet and the allergic sneeze is enjoyable. We've read this quite a few times. It shares a shelf with the Syd Hoff books (right where it belongs, imo).
Jessie Drew
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wolfie-and-me
Cute illustrations and story!
Danette
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
12/26/17 Read with Naomi & Julia.
Danny
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Suzanne
FUN!! An allergic horse who saves the day! One of my kids favorites.
Josh Rolph
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
The first book I remember reading cover to cover
Alicia Singleton
This book is about a horse that goes out to find work in the city because he was terribly allergic to the roses at the farm he lived at. When he goes to the city he finds work as many different things, but they were not working out. He eventually becomes a police horse and did he was very good at his job. One day he saw three men trying to rob a bank. Quickly thinking, Robert sniffs a rose from a little girl head, which made him let out a great big sneeze, which made the bank robber fall down fl ...more
Chak
Mar 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid
Because this was my favorite book when I was a very little girl, I rushed out and ordered this book for my son. Because I ordered it online, I didn't page through it, which is always a good idea when buying a children's book. While reading the book to my son for the first time, I realized that while the story is entertaining (about an allergic horse whose sneezes cause repeated chaos and exile and eventually redemption and a cure), it does contain a scene with bankrobbers, guns and shooting. App ...more
April
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was cute. It is about a horse with an allergy to roses who tried to find work where it won't be a problem if he sneezes. I liked the horse trying hard to find work and he was a very agreeable character, but it bugged me that at the end of the book he has "sneezed out" his sneezes and is no longer allergic to roses. I feel like if someone reads this to a kid with allergies they are going to have a ton of questions about why their allergies don't just go away and that probably wasn't a b ...more
Dominique Giordano
Robert the Rose Horse is on my favorites list because of the persistence and determination of the horse to find somewhere where he belonged. I can imagine the students laughing at the horse sneezing so largely. Considered fiction, it contains the element of animals as the main characters. Designed for K-2 grade, it can be enjoyed as a read aloud or individual reading.

In the reading classroom, teachers could use this book to teach children fluency, to read the dialogue as if the character was spe
Suzanne Kunz Williams
A darling story about a horse who has one thing that is very different from most other horses. And how this one issue bring hardship to his life. But how this issue also is able to help a lot of others. We all have things about ourselves that are different from other people. May we use those gifts to the best of our ability to serve and bring joy to others.

Sometimes just sharing how we deal with setbacks can bring encouragement and peace to others.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: allergies, flowers, horses
A charming story of a horse who discovers he is violently allergic to roses - sneezing so hard every time he's around them he flattens everything and everyone around him. He has to move away from the country to get away from the roses. Unfortunately, he keeps coming across roses in the city and ends up losing his job because of it. But one day, he uses his allergy to roses to thwart a bank robbery.

Fun, old-fashiony illustrations.
Michael E.
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another of my childhood favorites, and in fact the copy we have is one with an inscription from my Mother as a gift to me way back in time. This book was also one of the favorites of my son, Kevin, as he loved the "Kerchooo" parts. Today, my two-year-old granddaughter got to listen to it and look at the pictures. I think she liked the cameo appearances of dogs and cats here and there, but did comment occasionally on the "horse". We'll see if she requests it again in the future.
Esmoi
A very silly story about a horse who has a troublesome rose allergy. The horse ends up disarming a group of bank robbers with his violent sneezes. This is not a particularly awesome story from my perspective, but I still gave it five stars because it has been an instant favorite of every child to whom I've read it.
Susan
Aug 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, storybook
This one came up on my Goodreads recommendations list. I remembered really enjoying the book as a child. Times have changed and my tastes have too. It's still a cute story, though I felt people were mean to Robert for firing him over something he had no control over, and something that could have been accommodated with even a little bit of effort.
Bailey Marissa
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
A short story about a horse trying to find a job due to his rose allergy.
Pam
Oct 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A classic picture book for young readers. Roses make Robert sneeze and cause quite a few adventures as he finds his place in life.
Shauna
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun early reader for preschoolers. The poor horse is allergic to roses and when he sneezes, crazy things happen. Great illustrations.
emyrose8
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I remember reading this book as a kid. Liked it then, like it now.
Elizabeth
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: jack
Jack loves this book. He has read it so many times.
Dee
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I always liked this one too.
Alex
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book because I like horses. I did not like this book because I did not like the part when Robert, the horse, sneezed.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Sam and the Firefly
  • The Digging-est Dog
  • Come Over to My House
  • The Shape of Me and Other Stuff
  • Snow
  • He Bear, She Bear
  • I Want to Be Somebody New!
  • Because a Little Bug Went Ka-choo!
  • Little Black, a Pony: Liishzhiin Yazhi [With CD]
  • Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good for You!
  • Boom Chicka Rock
  • It's Not Easy Being a Bunny
  • Fred and Ted like to fly (Beginner Books)
  • Badger's Fancy Meal
  • I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words
Joan Heilbroner is best known for her first book, Robert the Rose Horse, which was published in 1961. Acquired by Dr. Seuss when he was editor of Beginner Books, it has been in print for more than 50 years. Her inspiration to write A Pet Named Sneaker came from her grandchildren, Quentin and Katrina, and their talented pet snake, Plato. A graduate of Columbia University, Ms. Heilbroner worked as a ...more

Beginner Books (1 - 10 of 152 books)
  • The Eye Book
  • Big Dog...Little Dog: A Bedtime Story
  • The Big Honey Hunt
  • Put Me in the Zoo
  • Inside, Outside, Upside Down (Berenstain Bears)
  • I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words