Start by marking “Boulder Dam” as Want to Read:
Boulder Dam

Boulder Dam

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  137 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Zane Grey is at his best in this story of the building of the Boulder Dam ( Later renamed the Hoover Dam). It shows an excellent depiction of early day Las Vegas and the people who built the dam. Of course there is the damsel in distress and the hero who gives up all to start his life anew.
Published December 1st 1990 by HarperPrism (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Boulder Dam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boulder Dam

Heidi
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a GREAT novel to read around a trip to the Hoover Dam!!
The story takes place during the building of the dam, getting into what life was like for the workers in particular.
Also a peek into 1930s America in general. My first Zane Grey book-- exciting plot, great diction, and I stayed up late to finish.
Frank
Feb 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
Zane Grey was one of America's most prolific writers of the early 20th century -- he was also my father's favorite author. My father had almost all of his novels and liked to read and reread them. I read a few of them when I was younger and remember enjoying them. I decided to read Boulder Dam because our family visited the dam as part of a Vegas vacation this summer. Hoover (Boulder) Dam was so impressive and it amazes me how it could have been constructed in the 1930s during the height of the ...more
Joshua
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: um, people who like the Hoover Dam too much
Shelves: nevada-my-apex
I picked up this book for a number of reasons...It has elements of Las Vegas, It's about the Boulder Dam, and it's Zane Grey. Three things I like. Oh and I found it at an amazing bookstore 20 miles outside of Palm Springs for 2 dollars. BOOM.

There are two parts to this book. One is the love story brewing between a wandering soul who lands at the Boulder Dam and the amazing Boulder Dam itself. The love story is entertaining and the protagonist is very likable. The detail of the multiple jobs at B
Skylar Hatfield
Oct 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the second Zane Grey book I've read. I love Westerns, and was not disappointed by this book. I would not really class it as a Western,though. It does have shooting and cowboys in the storyline, but the action is not related to cows, horses, or ranch work. I found this book more than entertaining. It taught me about the construction of the Boulder Dam. It showed a slice of life from Depression era America. It is about the settling of the West, but from the time period of the 1930s.

The ac
Akshit Jain
This book sure is a reflection of the wild west back in the early 20th century. The first two pages of the book and the part of the scene where Lynn , Bellow ,Gip Ring and Snap are locked in a dark room and Gip Ring is shooting like crazy . The character descriptions in the book are as if some cowboy would have described somebody . The plot was enjoyable with respect to the time when it was written. Last but not the least , Zane's endless analogies of the dam labor to the football practice as he ...more
Relstuart
Sep 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: western
I never really thought of how big a job it must have been to build the boulder dam. And Zane Grey while not a deep writer was certainly one that was fun. Though sometimes his hicks were a little hard to understand and he wrote what they said spelled out like they pronounced their words. Part of the charm of western writing. :)
brotagonist
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
I like Grey's westerns better, but the historical tableau made this an interesting story nonetheless.
Andrée
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fab edition with a mini biog of Pearl (Zane) Grey thrown in.
Great tale of derring-do set against the back drop of the amazing real life project of the Hoover Dam.
Ah those were the days!
Phil
Mar 29, 2010 rated it liked it
My first Zane Grey novel. A good enough story about an earlier time in the American West. Good story!
JP
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Grey is best when his story is based in some little niche of history that we couldn't otherwise experience. This one is a story about the construction of Hoover Dam.
Andrée
Oct 27, 2016
Peter
Jan 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Pearl Zane Grey was an American author best known for his popular adventure novels and stories that presented an idealized image of the rugged Old West. As of June 2007, the Internet Movie Database credits Grey with 110 films, one TV episode, and a series, Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater based loosely on his novels and short stories.
More about Zane Grey