Start by marking “The Divide” as Want to Read:
The Divide

The Divide

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  6,641 Ratings  ·  636 Reviews
Two backcountry skiers find the body of a young woman embedded in the ice of a remote mountain creek. All through the night police work with arc lights and chainsaws to prise her out. Identifying her doesn't take so long. Abbie Cooper is wanted for murder and her picture is on law enforcement computers all across America. But how did she die? And what was the trail of even ...more
Mass Market Paperback, Large print, 438 pages
Published 2006 by Time Warner Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Divide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Divide

Fiona
Dec 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: barbara kingsolver lovers
Recommended to Fiona by: Jeane, Atishay
Some books grab you the moment you read the first page, but others, like this one, burn slowly but constantly until you don't even know how or where it grabbed you.

This isn't a book that races, it is a book that meanders and flows. At first, it might just seem about a simple family drama, a family splintering and breaking apart. But it is so much more then that. It's about humans, about people and human nature and their deep, confused but complex emotions.

I can't quite put my finger on what I li
Aoibhínn
For four anguished years Ben and Sarah Cooper's daughter, Abbie, has been on the run from the FBI, wanted for murder and acts of eco-terrorism. But when Abbie's body is found embedded in the ice of a remote mountain creek in Montana, the family's devastation deepens into mystery. How did Abbie die? And what was the trail of events that led this golden child of a loving family so tragically astray?

The Divide is a very well-written novel with an engrossing and interesting plot. The novel started
Kasey
Jul 28, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can not believe this guy is a popular writer! Some people "LOVE him"
It's a story about a family who has a missing daughter, and then you go back in time and read about the parents divorce because the dad cheated. Read on to find the daughter became a dirty hippie, later morphing into some radical ELF (earth liberation front) person...I don't know! The only think I can say about the book is I finished it.

The best line in the book- which shocked me, made me laugh, and pissed me off all at the s
Heather
May 04, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had never planned to read a Nicholas Evans book. I saw the movie of The Horse Whisperer, and while I love all things Redford (I've had a crush on him since The Sting), I thought the story was only so-so. It all felt a little too Lifetime Movie for me. But then, one day at school, I was alone in the teachers' lounge, bored, and there it was, The Divide. Someone had left it on the table, our universal sign for these cookies/chips/magazines/books are fair game. I will admit I was so desperate for ...more
Asghar Abbas

Lame. Broke no new ground here. Same themes and elements. You'd get more bang for your buck reading Sidney Sheldon formulaic novels.
Mana-tasia
Oct 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-english
The Divide written by Nicholas Evans tells a story of the Coopers, an ideal and rich family who live in New York, US. They have a good and decent life. Unfortunately, a disaster is yet to come and ruin their stable lives. Before the tragedy occurred, Ben had left his wife and started a new life which destroyed his daughter emotionally. Abbie, Mr. Cooper's daughter is wanted for murder and acts of eco-terrorism. After her body is found in the remote mountain creek, Ben as well as Sarah are comple ...more
Brandi
Oct 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just re-read this for what must be the first time since I bought it, because I could not remember the story to save my life. Bits and peices came back as I read, but this was almost like reading it for the first time. I hadn't realized I didn't put his books on my read list either. I am a big fan of Evans and wish he would write more!! One thing that I came to realize is that my taste has evolved quite a bit since I had become a fan of his work. I still enjoyed it, but I don't think I will add ...more
Janine
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Divide expresses divisions between people - husband and wife, friends, parents and children, people fighting for heart felt causes and everyone else ... At the beginning of the story I felt connections to different people than I did at the end which is a very challenging and interesting technique that is hard to successfully do. Enjoyed the storyline and enjoyed the interactions between the characters.
Brandy
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The family dynamics in this story make a compelling plot. The audio version was read well.
Syl
I had started with this book supposing it to be a missing person forensic procedural, one of my favourite genres. But soon I realized that the author stressed more upon the personal lives and emotions of the people involved, rather than materials and methods. I love reading about the way bodies are identified and how killers are found based on scientific evidence. But this book was more about what lead to the incident, and how various people involved faced it. There was a myriad of emotions, fam ...more
Therese B
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great story about a family torn apart by the daughter's devotion to save the world of the rich and powerful that use their weath and power to distroy land for the mineral rights. She gets involved with the wrong people in college who kill and set fires to prove their point. The book tells of the mother and father who are falling out of love and their son who tried to love all his family. It is a very involved story of characters and love. Good reading and well written.
Jo Sansevero
Mar 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Jo by: found it in the stacks
Shelves: readandloved
This is a good story. I like the way the characters were developed. Focus on the problems that face todays families with the challenges of this modern world. Addie gets caught up in the Environmental movement during her college years and this is a disasterous event for her family and friends. I enjoyed reading about the ELF and the problems that idealistic organizations like that can reap on those they come in contact with. I would recommend this book to any one.
Atishay
Oct 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For anyone who saw it on a bookshelf in a library or a book store, picked it up, read the back cover and put it down again because it seemed so Un-Nicholas Evanish, you made a serious mistake. I'd just read Horse Whisperer by this author earlier and this tale just showed me that Evans is not a typical drama storyteller. He can spin an incredibly moving story from our everyday lives and leave us gasping for more.
Michelegg
Feb 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was probably the saddest book I read all year. It's amazing how the decision by one person to end a marriage could have such tragic and life altering consequences for so many people. This poor family. My heart just ached for all of them. A good reminder of the truth that every decision you make has consequence and affects more than just you.
Jlnpeacock
Jan 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was well written and portrayed life in a most realistic way. It was sometimes difficult to read the book because the pain discussed was so real. The ultimate solutions for the characters are not the same as those I would have chosen, but it is helpful to be aware of what different world views will bring about in the decisions people make.
Theresa
Sep 02, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book by Nicholas Evans. I didn't get into the book immediately, however towards the middle I was really drawn in and couldn't wait to see where the story would go. It's a mystery about what happened to a young girl whose body was found, basically the story begins with that but then takes us back to several years before so we can see what led up to that point. Suspenseful!
Sheila Myers
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
"The Divide" has a few subplots driving the action. I had to ask myself if all of these things could happen within the same family and decided the answer was "yes" and so the overall story was believable. The characters are well-developed and seem like real people.
Tabitha
The Divide is about two men finding a body cased in ice while they were out skiing. When the body is identified, it appears that the woman was wanted for murder.
Let's get the negatives out of the way.
I have to say that this story was a bit slow paced in the beginning. I had a hard time wanting to read on because it bored me, but it really did pick up some suspense and encouraged me to read on half-way through the book.
Honestly I read this story for a book report, and my motivation to finish it w
Petrina Wetzel
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book about how lives can be changed so dramatically by a change and the emotional impact of close family relationships torn apart. The complex, multi dimensional characters are weaved into this story with a dynamic but sensitive view of reactions from a range of perspectives.
Refreshingly honest sometimes brutal but a book that I couldn't put down. Excellent story with a raw reality.
Nyra
He disfrutado las 447 paginas completa y deliciosamente!. Que maravilla de Libro, de Historia, de Personajes. No pense que disfrutaria y sentiria esta lectura como lo hice, pero el caso este que este es un libro con tantas historias y tantos contrastes que me dejaron gratamente impresionada; el autor supo manejar de manera magistral cada uno de los roles en el libro, entrelazando varios relatos en una trama fascinante.
Los temas que se abarca toda la narración son variopintos, el autor enfoca de
Bonnie
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Divide by Nicholas Evans

For those not familiar with Nicholas Evans, he is author of The Horse Whisperer.

The problems which evolve into the lives of the characters in The Divide are substantial. At times it was so poignant I just had to stop reading, close my eyes and say a prayer for all those families out there who are experiencing similar problems.

Like The Horse Whisperer, Evans seems to have a way to grab a hold of the reader, and even though you know things are probably going to get wo

Marvin
Aug 05, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although set mostly in & around New York City, there are, as in Evans's earlier book, The Horse Whisperer, loving descriptions of the Western landscape. An upper middle-class family (the father an architect, the mother a bookstore owner, & teenaged son & daughter) vacation four consecutive summers on a dude ranch in Montana. The daughter falls in love with the Western landscape & gets involved with the son of a rancher whose land is being despoiled by a gas company. She decides t ...more
Gina
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Divide is the story of a family that is split by the decision of the father/husband to leave his family, and by the drift of the eldest daughter into terrorist groups.

This story is quite different from the previous books by Evans. It doesn't have much to do with animals, and it goes a lot deeper into the differences between men and women, human relations and how people and a family can drift apart. It is quite tragic and Evans depicts a harsh reality for his characters.

I thought this story w
Angigames
3 stelle e mezzo
Evans è sempre Evans, ormai è quasi una garanzia.
Questa storia però è molto più triste e cupa delle precedenti, è una storia complessa, che in realtà mi ha lasciato anche un po’ perplessa, ma che mi ha trascinato subito in un vortice di emozioni diverse.
Due ex coniugi dovranno affrontare il dramma più orribile di tutti: la morte della loro figlia. Con immensa maestria, l’autore, ci porterà a ripercorrere la vita di Ben e Sarah, della loro separazione e del perché Abbie si era dat
Gemma
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, drama
This book was excellent, as are all of the Nicholas Evans books I have read so far.
The story starts with a body of a young girl discovered, but it is not a murder mystery, instead of tracking the killer (if there was one) we learn all about the family and their problems, and how the young girls life changed so much and eventually led to her death.
Evans deals with each individual family members feeling, like he is that person and makes a really interesting, believable family. There isn't much ac
Fairlita
Raw human emotion. Illustration of the betrayal and each of the Coopers are so realistic that I could barely managed to stop myself disliking/liking them intensely. Still, I cannot reconcile with Benjamin, who is so damned selfish in my opinion, despite him being forgiven by Sarah. But then again, she is after all a weak woman. And I can't bring myself to sympathize with those kind of people who always blame themselves and saying sorry and finding excuses for the husband's wrongdoings.

I like how
Jessica
Aug 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mom actually gave me this book. I actually really enjoyed it. It was a good summer read. Events that happened in the first chapter made you want to read the whole book to find out what happened. Any book that is just amazing to me. Another thing that I really enjoyed about this book was the writing (duh), I think Nicholas Evans did a fantastic job describing people and places. I want to see this made into a movie one day. Maybe I should go into screenwriting.
Kathy
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed this story about a family whose lives are torn apart by several events- the divorce of Benjamin and Sarah, and their daughter's descent into the world of eco-terrorism. The characters are very real and you can sympathize with each of their plights and challenges ( Sarah was a bit annoying though!). Good story-telling that kept you guessing right to the end. A quick, engaging read.
Rebecca
Read and gab book club book. A little unsure of a book by the author of The Horse Whisperer but actually liked it. The story was unique enough and the style was fast paced enough to keep me guessing and interested, respectively. Enjoyed that a large portion of the book took place around my neck of the woods, Montana and the Rocky Mountains. Overall, enjoyed it.
Nike
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leest-lekker-weg
Ik hou wel van de natuurbeschrijvingen van Evans, maar dit verhaal is me net iets teveel bij het haar getrokken. En toch blijf je lezen. Hij weet zijn lezers te boeien.
The loop en The smoke jumper vond ik net iets beter.
  • Even Steven
  • Pride Runs Deep
  • Triple Platinum
  • Detour
  • Murphy's Law
  • World Without End
  • The Butterfly Box
  • Skinner's Mission (Bob Skinner, #6)
  • Capricornia
  • Kill Me Once (Dana Whitestone #1)
  • De Mannentester
  • The Tree of Life (The Mysteries of Osiris, #1)
  • Lucca
  • The Killer's Wife
  • Murder on the Thirty-first Floor
  • Principles of Human Anatomy
  • Delilah
  • High: Stories of Survival from Everest and K2

Nicholas Evans was born and grew up in Worcestershire, England. He studied law at Oxford University, graduating with first class honors, then worked as a journalist for three years on the Evening Chronicle in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. He then moved into televsion, producing films
More about Nicholas Evans...

“Look after each other. As a couple. When you have kids, you'll want to put them first. Don't. Marriage is like a plant. To keep it alive you've got to water it and feed it. If you don't, when the kids are gone, you'll look in the corner and it'll be dead.” 12 likes
“The power of human habit never failed to astonish her. How was it that two intelligent, decent people who basically loved each other could get so locked into a pattern of behavior that neither of them - or so she presumed - enjoyed? It was as if each knew the role he or she was expected to take and had no choice but to play it” 5 likes