Start by marking “My Darling Caroline” as Want to Read:
My Darling Caroline

My Darling Caroline

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  1,321 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
Caroline Grayson is a brilliant, independent nineteenth-century woman whose true passion is botany. Denied her dreams of studying at Oxford University because of her gender, she is also prevented from putting her auxiliary plan of attending New York University into action when her father compels her to marry the mysterious and sullen earl of Weymerth, Brent Ravenscroft. Th ...more
Published January 26th 2010 by HarperCollins (first published October 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about My Darling Caroline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Darling Caroline

Rane
Lady Caroline Grayson love and study for botany has pushed her to create roses and plants not yet seen, but her dream is threatened when she’s forced into an arranged marriage with Brent Ravenscroft, never did she think her new husband would support her and her talented mind, and never did she think she would fall in love with him.......

There’s been many reissues of books of late, and to say am happy I picked this book would be an understatement “overjoyed” would be close enough~!

Adele Ashwort
Crista
May 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Adele Ashworth's books. Why are they out of print? I just finished Winter Garden, which is arguably one of the best ever written, and now I can't decide which one I like better. I'd like to own both, but you better get out your wallet...they are BOTH out of print...aghhh!

My Darling Caroline is a book about Caroline Grayson, a positively brilliant mathematician and botanist who has experienced much prejudice and shunning based on her gender. She is forced into an arranged marriage with Br
Denise

Caroline was a born genius which during the time frame of this story was one of the worst things that could happen to a woman. She wanted to study at university, but of course that wasn't accepted for a woman. She was a botanist and a natural mathematician. All her life though she was the odd one with no friends or suitors. Here 4 sisters were blonde, blue eyed and beautiful while she was brown haired and brown eyed and thought to be plain.
When Lord (Brent) Ravenscroft comes to her father to
Feminista
Jul 12, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-to-read
DNF.

Normally, I don't rate DNFs, but if I don't rate it, then future potential readers won't be aware of the sheer wrongness of this novel.

Before their arranged marriage, the hero makes big deal out of the heroine's virginity. Then says, he has to marry her whether she is ruined or not. And that if she is pregnant with a child from another man, they would have to dispose of the child after his/her birth.

Meanwhile, he has a daughter from a French courtesan, which he does not disclose to the heroi
Deniz
It was perfect for me.My Darling Caroline is one of the best books I have read in months, wonderfully written, emotionally satisfying book with characters I cared a lot about.
There were quite a few moments I found myself laughing out loud or tearing up while reading.
if you like good writing, great characterizations, and like slow building relationship , then you will definitely love this book.
This is definately a keeper..
Julie
Dec 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amber
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh. My. God. A romance novel where the tragic misunderstandings MAKE SENSE within the framework of the plot and characters!?! Be still my heart!
Seriously though, this is a fantastic marriage2true love story. The attraction and affection between the characters makes sense and you just can't stop rooting for them. Every mistake they make makes sense for their personalities. Strong female character, strong male character, and a simply wonderful story. Highly recommend.
Oh, and it doesn't hurt that t
DemetraP
Jun 01, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I felt betrayed because the hero had an illegitimate daughter who was 4 years old and got married without telling the heroine about his daughter.

The book blurb didn't mention this and I usually avoid books with kids.

I kept reading anyway but I didn't feel any romance between the hero and heroine. I gave up about halfway through.
Ana
Summary:

No man's darling . . .

One by one, Lady Caroline Grayson watched her four sisters celebrate their betrothals, truly sure that marriage was not in her future—and perfectly pleased with that fact. Or so she thought.

Brent Ravenscroft, Earl of Weymerth, nearly gave his life for the Crown. He returned to England a hero with no intention of taking a bride, certain his brusque demeanor would intimidate any young ladies drawn to his good looks—or so he thought.

Bound by a business transaction, Ca
Kelly
Nov 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-read
My Darling Caroline is a darling of a romance. Complex characters as well as a deeply layered story. Although towards the end I was thinking things were wrapping up a bit to conveniently in the end it all came together perfectly.

Caroline is an interesting heroine she is a brilliant woman born with a gift for numbers and a love of botany. She is married off to Brent our hero who does not wish for a wife but is immediately attracted to Caroline. Both find that they are falling in love but who wil
Heather
Nov 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was different from the typical historical romance. Caroline is clearly brilliant, and there is more than just the usual frustration with gender roles; it is outright bitterness that her intellect will never be acknowledged. Brent is just as strong as other heros, but he has a much softer side that isn't usually so exposed early on. He has a heightened sense of self, and his willingness to share that with Caroline make her attempts to push him away that much more frustrating. But Caroli ...more
Jaime West
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
BookBuyingAddict for my Blog
Well Brent is a hero you lust after, then you love him, then you hate him, then you want to kick him in the nut sack, repeatedly, then you love him and want to do anything for him.... "Oh, Brent, please take me now!!!"

Caroline is a Botanist, she is some what of a Genius at breeding flowers, and mathematics. But alas, she is a woman and it's not acceptable to have breasts and brains back then. Caroline is one of five blonde delicate daughters, and she's the only brune
litsiren
One of the best books I’ve ever read! Brilliant plot and brilliant writing indeed.

Updated 25/10/2011

This book has made a list to be one of my favourite books! So overall, the story is lovely and darling indeed. Caroline is a kind and gentle woman regardless of her dream to become renowned botanist. I loved her especially when she teaches her deaf daughter to learn sign language, her presence makes Brent and her sister finally fond with each other again after years in resentment, and her love tow
Ipshita

This story picks up a lot of issues, but fails to do enough justice to them all. Caroline is passionate about botany and has tried to do numerous researches on plants. But being a woman, she gains neither a proper education nor any recognition for her efforts. She is eventually married off to an earl, Brent.

Brent is a typical tortured hero who suffers from not only PTSD due to war, but has also been hurt deeply by his own mother and sister. He is initially distrustful of Caroline. There’s a co
Sharyn
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My second "new" writer is Adele Ashworth. This book was written in 1998 and is the 4th book I have read by this author. I had 2 on my TBR pile and decided to read all my "A" books this summer. Well I loved the 2 on my shelf, found the other 2 in the series, and went and ordered other books from the library. I only found this one, but I will keep looking. Her heroine is a genius, who was just looked upon as odd. I do not want to give anything away, but this book has the BEST epilogue ever!! The h ...more
Elyse Mady
Aug 08, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was painful. Erratic behaviour from both H&h, offensive, cruel and implausible seductions, historical inaccuracies so large you could drive a barouche through them. I couldn't finish it - the romance was stilted, the writing poor and the back story so laughably plotted, it made my teeth ache. It felt like some sort of a horrid throwback and I'm glad I only borrowed it from the library, rather than paying good money for it.
Sha Mslvoe
Adored it to the max!!! What makes Adele Ashworth's novel so yummy are the wonderful hero and heroine. The heroine is strong willed. She is forced into an arranged marriage with Brent Ravenscroft. She never realized that her body, soul and mind attracted strong to her husband.

Brent is a good man and respects Caroline's intelligence. I loved how he confesses to everyone that his wife was brilliant.

Better get out your wallet before this novel out of print ;-)
Michael
My Darling Caroline has interesting and deep characters, which I liked. What I didn't liked to was the endless misunderstandings the two leads had throughout the book. One good conversation and all this crap would have been fine. A decent book, but not a keeper for me.
Gisele
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What a darling book!
Este é o segundo livro da Adele Ashworth que leio. O primeiro, eu gostei, mas ele não conquistou meu coração, não como My Darling Caroline!

O tema de casamento por conveniência é super comum nos romances históricos e por esse motivo os livros com esse mote acabam por cair na mesmice, mas quando o autor sabe combinar esse tema a personagens com grande personalidade e profundidade, tudo fica bem diferente!

A história aqui é o seguinte. Caroline é um gênio. Sim ela é incrivelmente
Rose
Excellent, excellent book! Wow. JUST WOW!

I think Caroline may be one of my favorite heroines. I loved how her mind was ALWAYS working to analyze situations and moods, to cut to the chase and see the real problem.

This book isn't a typical romance in that there were instances where the roles were a bit reversed. Normally, it would be the hero who's believed to be a cheating, manipulative, ass before he comes to senses. But in this book, it was the heroine. The difference was refreshing.

In the en
Froggie
Mar 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: year-2015
Very interesting. The plot though is elaborate yet full of implausible elements. It's got many things that should tick me off but I still enjoyed it. Like the Big Misunderstandings and all the secrecy weren't as annoying as I thought. The characters are so interesting and even though I wanted to violently bash the hero's head against the wall many MANY times, particularly in the last third, I still cared. I felt that it could have been much better book, something on par with Winter Garden by the ...more
Laine
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i am so in love with this book. i love how brent and caroline were friends as they go through their married-life and in the end discovering how they cared for each other and realize that they love each other afraid of saying it. the lies and secrets they have definitely made the story worthwhile to read, even i didn't want to put the book down to know what will happen next. how i wish there is still a man like brent that exists in this world. brent being the gentleman and most romantic kind but ...more
Missy Jane
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of regencies almost since I started reading romance, but to be honest most of the heroes fall into the same categories. Not so with Brent Ravenscroft, Earl of Weymerth. He isn't a jaded rake or a filthy rich Duke. He is actually a thick-headed, tortured soul who doesn't have a clue how to communicate with his new wife Lady Caroline Grayson. Even more refreshing, the botanically-obsessed Caroline doesn't know what to do with him either. This was truly a romance worth reading just ...more
Lendoxia
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this one :) Nicely written, not your typical chic lit, but a romance. It's well structured and it's not too predictable. I quite enjoyed the characters and their development. I finished it in a few days so it reads quickly and fluently. I would definitely recommend the book if you are into romance novels :)
Serena
Mar 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Too many things going on in the plot - arranged marriage, hero with bad mother syndrome, hero suffering from PTS from war, genius heroine winning over step daughter, psycho killer, big misunderstanding, ...

The hero and heroine are both likeable and the chemistry was strong. Would have been better to have a simpler plot and more focus on their relationship.
Nonieღserenity2bliss
After a few misses of looking for a new historical writer to try, I think I may just find one that I actually really like!

I really enjoy the story and the characters, and I love the writer's style of writing. Will definitely be on the lookout for her other stuff ;)
Carolyn
Mar 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ashworth-adele
I thought this was an awesome book. There were so many layers to the two main characters and Ms. Ashworth did a marvelous job slowly revealing each complicated layer of their personalities and their lives. This is a new printing which was first published in 1998. It is a rare gem!
Miss Bookaholic
Now that is what I call an OUT-FREAKING-STANDING historical romance novel!! God, it was so damn good!
Melanie
Loved it! Brent and Caroline are such a sweet couple, each tormented in their own way.. (Although I was ready to smack Brent at the end, lol).. And the side story with Rosalyn was very touching!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 May 26, 2016 06:15PM
  • Tallie's Knight
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • Lord Ruin (The Sinclair Sisters, #1)
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • One Week As Lovers (Somerhart, #3)
  • The Portrait
  • Once a Gentleman (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet, #3)
  • Courting Miss Hattie
  • The Notorious Scoundrel (The Hawkins Brothers #2)
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • Destined to Last (Providence, #4)
  • The Earl's Dilemma
  • The Temporary Wife
  • The Admiral's Penniless Bride
  • The Border Lord
  • Untie My Heart
  • Lord of Secrets
  • Frontier Courtship
Adele Budnick was born in 1963. She has always felt she's led a rather dull life on her road to becoming a romance author. Unfortunately, she's also often been wrong.

From the first time she stepped onstage to sing Petula Clark's "Downtown" for a crowd (at the age of three in a Juarez, Mexico, hotel restaurant, dancing on the table at the urging of the Spanish-speaking waitresses), she knew she was
More about Adele Ashworth

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hot Shot (Hostile Operations Team, #5)
  • The Way Life Should Be: A Novel
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Yellow Rose Beauty Shop (Cadillac, Texas #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Force of Temptation (Mercury Pack, #2)
  • Wildalone
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Let Go (Hard Ink, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Darkest Torment (Lords of the Underworld #12)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Lady Bridget's Diary (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #1)
  • What to Say Next
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Fury of Surrender (Dragonfury, #6)
  • Map of the Heart
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Riveted (Saints of Denver, #3)
  • The Memory Book
  • Holding Up the Universe
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Forever with You (Wait for You, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Tear Us Apart (Never, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Forbidden (Old West #1)
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Locked in Temptation (The Protectors #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Van (Cold Fury Hockey, #9)
  • If There's No Tomorrow
  • The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily
  • Words in Deep Blue
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Runaway Vampire (Argeneau, #23)
  • Secrets of the Tulip Sisters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Any Dream Will Do
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Comfort of Secrets (Sweet Lake #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Obsessions (The Phoenix Pack, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It's In His Heart (Red River Valley, #1)
  • Wicked Angel
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Autumn in the Vineyard (St. Helena Vineyard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From the Moment We Met (St. Helena Vineyard, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beard Made Me Do It (The Dixie Warden Rejects MC #5)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Midnight Secrets (Wildefire, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Wind Dancer (Wind Dancer, #1)
  • Dead Wrong (Dead #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“You deserve a husband who wants you, Caroline, just as you are, and you know I do. But as much as I need you, I don’t want you if you’re here right now from a feeling of guilt, or pity, or some odd sense of self-righteousness or duty.” He abruptly glanced down once again to his brandy. “Because I also believe, even with my numerous faults, that I deserve a wife who wants me in return, just as I am. Anything less isn’t worth the pain.” 9 likes
“Forgive me, madam," he said lightly, amused, "but waiting to make love to you again is straining my nerves."
She scoffed but she was quite shaken; he could see it in her expression, in the way she nervously toyed with the buttons on her pelisse.
"How awfully presumptuous of you to think I'd let you."
"You will," he insisted soothingly.
She gaped at him.
"Please continue," he urged. "I'm aching to hear the rest."
"You're as arrogant as usual."
"You missed it, though."
"I absolutely did not," she asserted.
He grinned. "You missed my arrogance almost as much as I missed your impudence, little one."
"That's absurd."
"I love you, Caroline," he softly, quickly replied, catching her off guard with such tenderness. "Move on before I decide I'm finished with this conversation, rip off your clothes, and show you how much.”
9 likes