Start by marking “Five Good Minutes: 100 Morning Practices to Help You Stay Calm and Focused All Day Long” as Want to Read:

(Five Good Minutes)

The 100 simple practices found in Five Good Minutes® are designed to help even the busiest person start the day right. Using just five minutes of mindfulness, relaxation, or imagery techniques during their morning routines, readers can set their intentions and greet the day feeling calm, centered, and energized.

What difference can five minutes make in the crazy, nonstop co
Published April 15th 2005 by New Harbinger Publications

To ask other readers questions about Five Good Minutes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Good Minutes

Start your review of Five Good Minutes: 100 Morning Practices to Help You Stay Calm and Focused All Day Long
Heidi The Reader
Things have been stressful in my neck of the woods, so I picked up Five Good Minutes to help me cope. I'm in the fourth month of having my house on the market and my husband has been looking for employment for over a year. Yeah, I'm feeling it... Five Good Minutes is simple enough for beginners to the mindfulness/meditation practice and filled to the brim with suggestions for ways to focus in the morning and get your day off on the right foot. The best part of this book is that there is somethin ...more
Carol
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a very practical little book that you can put in your purse or backpack. I recommend it to everyone.
QueenAmidala28
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to QueenAmidala28 by: Self-Help Book
This book is literally a LIST of 100 ways to calm yourself and bring a new perspective to every day. I Loved about 60% of the book. It was a nice reminder that all it takes is 5 MINUTES to breathe, think of someone else, think of yourself in this massive world and set an intention for creating happiness at that moment. I recommend this book to anyone who is "too busy" to do yoga or meditate. You will slowly create more time by using these suggestions.
Kelli
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: not-fiction
Another great little book in the Five Good Minutes series, this was a wonderful book to start the year. It is like a yoga class and a mindfulness class in book form. With sections entitled Establishing Ease and Inner Relaxation, Peaceful Awareness and Connection, Relating to Yourself and Others, and Growing Wiser and Kinder, the book follows the same format as the others in the series: a quick thought to ponder and practice. The reflections are positive without being kooky. What's not to love? A ...more
Angie
Nov 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read one chapter of this every morning when I first wake up. Centering, relaxing, and other sorts of mental exercises to prepare you for the day and give you something good to return to throughout the day.
Dann
May 08, 2010 is currently reading it
This book contains some effective exercises for purging negative thoughts and becoming in the moment. Life is full of pleasent moments that we should enjoy more.
Carielyn Mills
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
more like 10 things worded differently 100 times
Cristian Marrero
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good book of multiple exercises you can do for yourself or with a group of people.
Victoria Manning
This was a handy little book... just a quick inspiration to start the day... looked forward to reading each day’s entry...
Teri
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent meditation tool for busy lives.
Lorna
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
Life is happening in this moment. It's good to be reminded of ways to practice mindfulness.
Kelly
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wonderful tips for people. All you need to do is spend just 5 minutes with one of these morning practices.
Rachel
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Carin
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Five Good Minutes: 100 morning practices to help you stay calm and focused all day long. This book is to energize out mind and body every morning.

I used it for the first two days since I bought it and already love the book. It encourages me to think positively or stir to that direction. I like that each section is short and simple. I can follow it through easily.

My favorite part is on that imaginary button that you make up in your mind. You turn it from stress to calm, you press it to relax you
Nesrin  Saad
مائة تمرين يساعدك على بداية يومك بنشاط و تركيز يستغرق كل واحد منها 5 دقائق فقط لا غير لتبدء بعدها النضال في معترك الحياة اليومية ومن شأن هذه التمارين أن تكسر الروتين وتمنحك الحيوية و القدرة على الأستمرار على حد قول الكاتب .
Linda Belmont
Jan 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
I thought this book would help with my morning meditations, but these are really obvious. I guess it would be helpful if you've never meditated before, but I've always wondered how you can meditate while reading a book? Not for me.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jul 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is composed of one hundred practices designed to be accomplished in the morning, that take only five minutes each, and that help one to be calm and relaxed throughout the day.
Lee
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I am going to start practicing from soon.
Tom
Jan 29, 2015 marked it as to-read
I haven't a clue how this works. Where do I get instructions? Do I have to pay and, if so, how much?
Emma
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Bonnie, Ruthie, Martha, Mary Jean
Shelves: non-fiction
Great little meditation book for centering your morning and keeping your calm, and five minutes is easy to find.
Reemooh
Jun 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all those who would like to have more insight into life
Very practical and very useful. It is just one of those books I've been looking for for a while. I've been practicing some of those excercises and it really proved its effectiveness.
Page
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Gives great ideas - enjoying it.
Pam
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great intro to meditation

What a nice guide for beginning meditation. I'm just starting and love the 5 minute guidance. Perfect way to start the day.
Colleen
Apr 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I've been doing one exercise a day, and it's great. I plan to continue.
Lena Price
fatma suliman
rated it it was ok
Mar 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • The Memory Police
  • The Good Good Pig: The Extraordinary Life of Christopher Hogwood
  • The Curious Naturalist: Nature's Everyday Mysteries
  • The Soul of an Octopus: A Surprising Exploration Into the Wonder of Consciousness
  • Many Rivers to Cross (Inspector Banks, #26)
  • Dinner Made Simple: 35 Everyday Ingredients, 350 Easy Recipes
  • Vegetables Unleashed: A Cookbook
  • Night Passage (Jesse Stone, #1)
  • Pastime (Spenser, #18)
  • We Fed an Island: The True Story of Rebuilding Puerto Rico, One Meal at a Time
  • Trouble In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #2)
  • This Side of Murder (Verity Kent, #1)
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole, #18; Joe Pike, #7)
  • The Handmaid's Tale: The Graphic Novel
  • A Monk's Guide to a Clean House and Mind
  • The Boy (Broussard and Fourcade, #2)
  • Cold Service (Spenser, #32)
Jeffrey Brantley, MD, DFAPA, has practiced mindfulness meditation for over thirty years, and his work in medicine and psychiatry has emphasized mindfulness and mindfulness-based interventions to promote individual health and well-being. He is a founding faculty member of Duke Integrative Medicine, and founded the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Program at Duke Integrative Medicine in 1998. Bran ...more

Five Good Minutes (5 books)
  • Five Good Minutes in the Evening: 100 Mindful Practices to Help You Unwind from the Day and Make the Most of Your Night
  • Five Good Minutes in Your Body: 100 Mindful Practices to Help You Accept Yourself and Feel at Home in Your Body
  • Five Good Minutes at Work: 100 Mindful Practices to Help You Relieve Stress and Bring Your Best to Work
  • Five Good Minutes with the One You Love: 100 Mindful Practices to Deepen and Renew Your Love Everyday

News & Interviews

“Daily habits can anchor your thoughts and feelings just as readily as any spiritual practice or yoga class.” 2 likes