Start by marking “Animal Magnetism (Animal Magnetism, #1)” as Want to Read:
Animal Magnetism (Animal Magnetism, #1)

Animal Magnetism

(Animal Magnetism #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  13,172 ratings  ·  1,012 reviews
Read Jill Shalvis's blogs and other content on the Penguin Community.

Co-owner of the town's only kennel, Lilah Young has lived in Sunshine, Idaho, all her life. Pilot-for-hire Brady Miller is just passing through. But he soon has Lilah abandoning her instincts and giving in to a primal desire.

It's Brady's nature to resist being tied down, but there's something about Lilah
Mass Market Paperback, 295 pages
Published February 1st 2011 by Berkley Books

·  13,172 ratings  ·  1,012 reviews

Alp
Dec 24, 2017 marked it as dnf
DNF @ around 30%

Cocky hero + Annoying heroine = Thanks, but no thanks.

I finally came to realize that this author’s writing style didn’t work for me whatsoever. And this book was not to my taste either. I honestly couldn’t warm up to the heroine, Lilah. There was something about her that really got on my nerves. It seemed like she tried to be funny but it came out weird, forced, and fake instead.

The final straw that made me decide to quit reading this one was that Lilah deliberately pretended not
KatLynne
A fun read full of hot steamy lovin' and a hero that is pure sin on a stick!

I love fierce and protective alpha heroes and Jill Shalvis has created one of my favorites! Brady Miller, Ex-Army Ranger, pilot and kisser extraordinaire!

Lilah Young is adorable. Independent, smart, loyal, fun, and very compassionate. Not only does she have a deep love of animals, she also loves her junk food:)

This story had all the elements needed to make it work for me and was such a fun read. What makes this a favorit
Gio Listmaker

Character Driven
Supportive Friends
Steamy

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
I really liked this. It was so cute and charming. That's really the only way I can describe it.

Then the sex started .... And it's like it's all the same. It's all about her. He pleasures her with his mouth before they do it. The only times she's even touched his penis was during first sex scene when she rolled a condom on him. Then they do it in same position. Boring. And the scenes always from her pov. Maybe because the target audience is women?

As a gay man I found it too simple and repetitive
TJ
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Disclaimer
The rating for this book is based solely on personal preference and not on any shortcomings in the writing or the author.

Jill Shalvis is an author many adore and have encouraged me to read. This was my first attempt and I'm afraid I may have picked up the wrong book to start with. The synopsis sounded perfect - right up my alley... small town love story between the owner of the local kennel and an ex-military pilot with lots of animals and humor added in. What's not to like, right? Th
♡Karlyn P♡
A light contemporary read with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments and a good dose of steam. It started a bit slow, and overall the story was quite predictable, but once the story got rolling and the clothes started falling, I was hooked. I may have had higher hopes for this story as I love the author's other series a bit more (Lucky Harbor), but while it didn't 'wow' me as much I still highly recommend it for a nice beach type read. So if you're in the mood for steamy fluff and a hot romance, this ...more
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5 "QUACK, MEW, ARF" STARS ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

It was my first Jill Shalvis' book and I loved it!
She had me at "Quack", page 3. This was one of the funniest and charming read I had in a long time! I definitely missed out for so long, but the good news is that I have lots of good times reading all her books, ahead of me!
Karla
Very sweet, fun romance. Yummy men and cute animals, how can you go wrong?! Brady and Lilah were such an adorable couple, and wow, those two could burn up the sheets. A wonderful cast of secondary characters, a little bit of drama, lot's a sweet lovin', great setting and you have a typical Jill Shalvis romance, she never disappoints. I can't wait to get back to Sunshine, Idaho and read Dr. Dell and Jade's story
Pam Nelson
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Animal Magnetism Stars

I have read this book before but I haven’t listened to the audio and I gotta say I loved it more the second time.

I was in the mood for a sweet but smexy romance and this was right up my alley. I didn’t want anything too emotional because I know my next book is going to break my heart.

So Lilah and Brady’s was exactly what I needed. She is so guarded with her emotions and she doesn’t let people in because she is afraid they are going to leave once she loves them.

And Bra
Calisto
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Animal lovers with a lot of patience because nothing happens
Sexy (pilot-for-hire - aka doesn't stay anywhere for very long) hero, Brady, goes to the small town of Sunshine to visit his foster brothers and meets the spunky, sensitive (she cries, for weeks, when she places pets in new homes) heroine with a heart of gold. Will he stick around this time? Will she finally get a break and overcome the ghosts of her past? (Actually that sounds more interesting than it is.) Will anything EVER happen in this book?

Well, the answer to the last question is...No. The
Wendy
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet, fun, light entertaining book, with lots of nice heat. Brady Miller is guaranteed to have your undies on fire in no time. He’s wickedly delicious, ex-Special Forces, military pilot who loves animals. *sigh* Enjoy!
Sharon
Here are some of my thoughts:
• Sweet, sweet, sweet.
• Relatable heroine who loves junk food, animals, and is a little klutzy.
• A hero who is loyal, hardworking, and kind. He seems tough and thorny on the exterior, but he so easily gave in to the cuteness of an abandoned dog. Aw.
• All the animal cuteness killed me.
• The conflict is pretty straightforward. Brady stays in town for a month for his brothers, and insists that he must leave because he doesn’t like to get tied down to one place or to
Nadia
I've read two books before by Jill Shalvis, Double Play and Slow Heat, and both were mind-numbingly boring. Those two had put me in a scary book slump I had trouble getting out of.

So when GR recommended Animal Magnetism I was wary to say the least. But one look at that cover and I was sold. Screw the hunk (hehe), that puppy is a cheap shot! No one can say no to puppy eyes. So yeah, the puppy got to me and I started reading. But surprise, surprise, Animal Magnetism was nothing like Shalvis' prev
Carrie
Sometimes all the stars align, and the right book comes along when you're in exactly the mood for it. I needed a warm, character-driven story full of charm and people you can care about, so I was delighted to pick up Animal Magnetism and find that it fit the bill. After a stressful week, spending time curled up with a hot cup of tea and this book was the perfect therapy.

I enjoyed Brady and Lilah, and I appreciate that Ms. Shalvis doesn't resort to the "big misunderstandings" or a contrived crisi
Saly
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Animal Magnetism is a sweet romance and the best part it has got animals and I adore them . Brady is someone who was sent from foster home to foster home and it hurt him so he became angry at the world, and he was tiny so he was picked on a lot. Finally, he made his way to Sol, in Idaho where he stayed until he joined the army along with two other "lost boys" Adam and Dell. Sol, gave Brady the freedom he needed and taught him how to take care of himself. Brady through hard-work became a pilot an ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Absolutely adorable! Brady was just passing through and then he met Lilah! When she rear ended his vehicle, along with her menagerie. Both have past issues they have to overcome before they can commit to any kind of future together. Looking forward to future additions to this series.
The Reading's Love Blog
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
RECENSIONE COMPLETA QUI: https://thereadingslove.blogspot.com/...

description
Animali, risate e romanticismo si mescolano nel libro di Jill Shalvis ‘Tu sei per me’. Lilah Young ha pensato tutta la vita di scappare da quel paesino piccolo dov’è cresciuta e quando spiega le ali, gliele spezzano. Ci mette poco tempo a tornare nel suo paesino a leccarsi le ferite di una delusione d’amore e dalla morte della sua amata nonna. Le mura di quel paese le sono familiari ed i suoi amici Dell e Adam, come fratello per l
Pamela
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was very typical of Jill Shalvis's work in both good ways and not very good ways :) We get absolutely adorable animals (I've decided that I think she's better at writing four-legged characters than two-legged ones!), prose that's easy to read but just above mediocre at best and disappointingly amateurish at worst, more punctuation errors than a geek like I am would like, more warmth and humor than angst (thankfully!), a fairly fast pace yet very little actual plot, a heroine who's not ...more
Kelly22
4.00 Stars - Contemporary Romance

The first in this new series, Animal Magnetism , is a great start and is definitely a winner like any other Jill Shalvis book. Now this is the author who knows what she is doing and hence gifting us yet again another emotional and action-packed read of a novel. No surprise there!

The story sets back to Sunshine, Idaho, a small sunny town, where ex Army-Ranger and freelance war zone pilot Brady Miller is visiting his two foster brothers for a short time, before he
Jaime Arkin
So I'm totally late to the party on Jill Shalvis, but I have to thank my BFF for opening my eyes to contemporary romance books and how lovely they can be. Especially this author's writing.

I don't know how she does it, but I fall a little more in lust with each one of her characters than the last.

In Animal Magnetism, (yes, the cover is a bit cheesy and honestly probably why I stayed a way so long) We meet Lilah Young, the co-owner of the town of Sunshine's kennel and a bit scattered. The first t
Ana
Lilah is one of the owners of the town's kennel. She was called "white trash" while she was growing up. That made her leave Sunshine, Idaho to go to college in Las Vegas. Bad decision. Now she has a full-time job and is studying for a degree, while barely keeping her head above the water financially. But now, she is one of the most loved people in Sunshine, which Brady, our hero finds out the hard way. :-)

Brady grew up in foster system and as a result he is a loner who doesn't let anyone get clo
Dee
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
A light and fun romance. Typically Jill Shalvis in that it was extremely well written that flowed well and was easy to read. In the beginning we could feel the sexual tension between the characters and could completely understand why Lilah's panties always seemed to be damp when she thought of Brady ;) As soon as I had finished this I went to straight on to the next one and am also looking forward to reading the 3rd installment.

Ms Shalvis is one of the authors I consider to be an automatic buy/
Gamze
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 // Klasik bir Jill Shalvis romaniydi. Gerçi ben yazarın sadece Sırılsıklam Aşık kitabını okumuştum ama kaleminde sapma yok her kitabı aşağı yukarı aynı :) Güzeldi, insanı sıkmayan bir oturusta bitirebildiginiz türden. Zaten içinde hayvanlara sahip çıkan bir baş karakter olunca bir kitap nasıl kötü olabilir ki! Öyle yani tavsiye ederim bu tarz sevenlere ^_^
Mandi Schreiner
Jan 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Lilah Young who runs Sunshine Kennels in Sunshine, Idaho has a Jeep full of animals. A duck, some puppies and a pot bellied pig. She accidentally rear ends the truck in front of her because her hands are a bit full. Lilah is currently going to school to become a vet and is very low on funds. Her worthless Jeep won’t even start after the minor accident. The owner of the truck she hits is Brady Miller. Brady is back in Sunshine only for a brief visit. He is ex-Army and currently an independent pil ...more
Jane Stewart
Feb 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Not much plot which can be ok. Small town girl is dating a hot guy who’s hard to get. Lots of loving interaction with pets.

STORY BRIEF:
Lilah left college to care for her grandmother until she died. Lilah has no other relatives. She turned her grandmother’s property into a kennel/animal shelter. Her neighbors are Dell and Adam, two attractive Native American guys who were brothers in the foster care system. Dell is a veterinarian. Adam trains search and rescue dogs. Adam also trains people with t
Hannah
3.5 stars.

I read three novels by Jill Shalvis prior to this one, but Animal Magnetism is the first of her books that I have really enjoyed. After reading Animal Attraction (yes, I read the second book in this series first), I decided that Jill Shalvis was probably not the author for me. I hated the hero in that book, and the heroine got on my nerves too. But now I'll probably give Shalvis another chance, because Animal Magnetism was a fun read. The story didn't bore me, the characters didn't ann
Splage
Such a cute story and I loved it, but I have read many with a similar plot before; He is a loner with a harsh past, doesn't like to stay in one place, wants a no strings attached relationship; the heroine agrees, but it just isn't her nature and falls in love even though she knows she is going to have a broken heart. This is why I went with a 4 instead of a 5, if it was the first one I ever read with this plot it would have been a 5 star for sure.

Even though it is familiar it still touched me, c

PJ
Animal Magnetism Series, Book 1
by Jill Shalvis

--Audible Audiobook Version
--Dual POV
--Humor & Angst
--Soldier/PTSD
--Insta-Attraction

Well-balanced in both angst & humor, this is the first book in a standalone series set in Sunshine, Idaho focused around an animal refuge, a veterinary clinic and a kennel. Lailah Young is a committed, if a bit wacky, animal lover who has a knack for pairing shelter animals with new owners. And when Lailah rear-ends the visiting ex-Military, now pilot-for-hir
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
This was a cute and fun book with some very hot scenes but also some sweet moments.
  • Sugar Creek (Destiny, #2)
  • Bad Boys Do (Donovan Brothers Brewery, #2)
  • Don't Mess with Texas (Hotter In Texas, #1)
  • Icebreaker (New York Blades, #8)
  • Kiss Me, I'm Irish
  • Undeniably Yours (Kowalski Family, #2)
  • All They Need (Porter Siblings #1)
  • Sultry with a Twist (Sultry Springs, #1)
  • Heartstrings and Diamond Rings (Playboys, #4)
  • Serendipity (Serendipity, #1)
  • You Dropped a Blonde on Me (Ex Trophy Wives #1)
  • Breaking Point (I-Team, #5)
  • Jacked Up (Fast Track, #6)
  • Baby It's Cold Outside (Alaskan Nights, #1)

Look for Jill's latest, LOST AND FOUND SISTERS on shelves and e-readers now, and get all her bestselling, award-winning books wherever romances are sold.

Visit Jill's websi

Animal Magnetism (7 books)
  • Animal Attraction (Animal Magnetism, #2)
  • Rescue My Heart (Animal Magnetism, #3)
  • Rumor Has It (Animal Magnetism, #4)
  • Then Came You (Animal Magnetism, #5)
  • Still the One (Animal Magnetism, #6)
  • All I Want (Animal Magnetism, #7)
“He handed her the other half of his candy bar.
She stared at it like it was a brick of gold. "I'm on a diet." But she took it. "A see-food diet, apparently. I see food and I eat it.”
23 likes
“You, Lilah, scare the hell out of me."
"Why?" she whispered.
He met her gaze and held it. "Because I could fall for you, Lilah. Hard and deep and never want to come back up."
She could scarcely breathe. "What's wrong with that?"
"We'd drown.”