Start by marking “Numbers: A Very Short Introduction” as Want to Read:
Numbers: A Very Short Introduction

Numbers: A Very Short Introduction

(The Oxford Very Short Introductions Series)

Numbers are integral to our everyday lives and factor into almost everything we do. In this Very Short Introduction, Peter M. Higgins, a renowned popular-science writer, unravels the world of numbers, demonstrating its richness and providing an overview of all the number types that feature in modern science and mathematics. Indeed, Higgins paints a crystal-clear picture of ...more
Published March 22nd 2011 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published February 24th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Numbers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Numbers

Start your review of Numbers: A Very Short Introduction
Sajjad thaier
كتاب بسيط وقصير ومحشو بكثيرمن المعلومات . أعتقد أنه يناسب المتخصصين في الرياضيات ومن لهم بعض الاطلاع او هواة هذا العلم الجميل . اظطررت لقرأته أكثر من مرة لكي افهم نصفه تقريبا . وهذا كافي لي الى الأن . وارجو أن اعود له في يوم من الايام .
Albert Yakoub
من خلال هذا الكتاب فهمت نظريتي فيثاغورس واقليدس
الاسمان اللذان طالما اشعروني بالبلاهة في مرحلة الدراسة الاعدادية.
اما عن متتالية فيبوناتشي فكان دان براون اكثر براعة عندما قام بشرحها في روايته الرائعة ابدًا شفرة دافنشي.
عياد  بن يدر
لم استوعب من الكتاب سوي القليل
ربما لان بعض الامور لايمكن اختصارها والرياضيات قد تكون احداها
او ربما هي مشاكل في الترجمة او معضلتي القديمة مع الرياضيات
David Mytton
Whilst this seems like a good book if you know complex maths already, it is not particularly helpful as an introduction. Of course, there is a separate Very Short Introduction to Mathematics title so perhaps that is a prerequisite, but this book assumes deep knowledge of maths with which numbers are explained.

My biggest problem is the lack of clear examples for the concepts being explained - it jumps right into proofs with minimal explanation of how to do the workings. It very quickly gets into
Moses
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was, as its name suggests, very short, and it did have a lot of interesting content. While the writing was far better than some mathematical writing I've seen, it was still often dry and confusing. I had to spend a lot of time trying to figure out what Peter Higgins was talking about, although once I understood it I usually thought it was really cool.
For a more accessible introduction to number theory, I would recommend The Number Devil: A Mathematical Adventure , which is geared mo
John
Mar 04, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mathematics
This book is a real miss, sadly. As an introduction to number theory it is far too advanced for a novice and it is also far to basic for someone familiar with the field. It doesn’t know what it’s audience is and ends up satisfying no one.
Bob
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting at the outset, but I was completely lost in the final chapter. Not sure who the target audience is. People who know mathematics well know this info already. Others won’t be able to keep up I think.
Ahmed Ezzeldien
كتاب مفيد ومسلي نوعاً ما .. نظراً لأنه تطرق للعديد من الأشياء المعقدة عن الأعداد قد لا يستوعبها غير المتخصصين أو الدارسين .. ولكني استفدت بمعلومات عديدة منه بجانب أسلوبه الفكاهي والمبسط في مواضع عدة...
Cesar F
Nov 24, 2021 rated it liked it
Fascinating ...I listened to it so it was difficult to follow-up. It showed me however a perspective ai did not have before
Natasha Holme
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, science
So much more about numbers than you would ever wish to know.
Maurizio Codogno
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Si fa presto a dire numero

Avevo già preso il volume "Matematica" della collana Very Short Introduction. A che serve allora un altro volume sui numeri? Beh, come dico sempre la matematica tende a fare a meno dei numeri. In questo libretto si parla invece di numeri veri e propri, di tutti i tipi. A me non hanno detto molto i capitoli iniziali con i numeri figurati e l'approccio usato per definire il concetto di numero; devo però aggiungere che andando avanti nella lettura - non che ci voglia molto
Bob
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent volume on the subject of numbers. In a clear fashion, this book takes numbers all the way from the naturals (1, 2, 3 , ...) through infinity. Then explains, quite effectively, the basics of Cantor's levels of infinity.

The treatment of transcendental numbers was of special interest to me, and I appreciated the author's observation that transcendental's are "the dark matter of the universe of numbers." How true, and what a neat way to look at them!
Jose
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Very interesting but it must be the hardest book to read in the 'Very Short Introduction' series! Near impossible to read without a college level math background! ...more
Mills College Library
512.7 H6367 2011
Ahmed Omer
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
يساعد على إنعاش المفاهيم الرياضية التي تقادمت على طول السلم التعليمي, الفصل المتعلق بالتشفير أمتع فصل
Suzanne

• The Adventures of Tom Bombadil and Other Verses from the Red Book
  • Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art
  • What Happened To You?: Conversations on Trauma, Resilience, and Healing
  • In the Year 2889
  • The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children #1)
  • Probability: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Apocryphal Gospels: A Very Short Introduction
  • The History of Mathematics: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Koran: A Very Short Introduction
  • What Kind of Creatures Are We?
  • Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith
  • Letters from a Stoic
  • Of de oleander de winter overleeft
  • Not Enough: Human Rights in an Unequal World
  • Principles For Dealing With the Changing World Order: Why Nations Succeed and Fail

The Oxford Very Short Introductions Series (1 - 10 of 641 books)
  • Consciousness: A Very Short Introduction
  • Kant: A Very Short Introduction
  • Logic: A Very Short Introduction
  • Mathematics: A Very Short Introduction

News & Interviews

Horror fiction, as a genre, can be fascinating to track over time. The scary stories that we tell ourselves often reflect the anxieties we’re...