Start by marking “Word Power Made Easy” as Want to Read:
Word Power Made Easy

Word Power Made Easy

4.37  ·  Rating Details ·  4,882 Ratings  ·  217 Reviews

Published February 15th 1991 by POCKET US (first published May 28th 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Word Power Made Easy, please sign up.

Kamlesh Singh it is one of the easy book and productive for strengthening our vocab...
and i had completed this book in just 15 days ...
one of the way is READ 3…more
it is one of the easy book and productive for strengthening our vocab...
and i had completed this book in just 15 days ...
one of the way is READ 3 chapters on ONE day after that make notes of that 3 chapters on your copy....right this way daily read 3 - 3 chapters in just 15 days you can complete the whole book surely ...!! (less)

Daisy Holtel
Jul 25, 2013 Daisy Holtel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
"A new word is not just another pattern of syllables with which to clutter you mind --A new word is a new idea to help you think, to help you understand the thoughts of others, to help you express your own thoughts, to help you live a richer intellectual life." pg. 141

I immensely enjoyed this book. It is a interesting read on its own, as well as a reference guide and a grammatical aid. It will sit next to my dictionary for a long time and will be used frequently. It is a perfect tool for someone
Dony
Oct 20, 2012 Dony rated it it was amazing
An excellent book on improving your vocabulary. I've just bought another one recently, '1500 words in 15 minutes at day', and haven't started it to see how they compare. 'Word Power made easy' was broken up into categories based on what you might require. Each category revolved around a central theme which helped to hold everything together when learning.
Apart from introducing new words, defining them and using them with other inter-connected words, there were also useful information on the ori
Jaasindah Mir
Jan 26, 2013 Jaasindah Mir rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Originally reviewed at my blog:

I didn’t have any exposure to vocabulary building books before I decided to pick Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis. Why I decided to pick this book is a reason very simple. I saw it in the best sellers list on Flipkart every time I checked the said page on the site. I wanted to see what was so good about the book that made it sell in a bigger quantity than Paulo Coelho’s books (For me he is the author everybody should re
Tushar
Dec 31, 2012 Tushar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students,Academia,Professionals,Newbies
This is one of the better vocabulary builders that you are ever likely to find. Instead of being banal and boring, the book approaches vocabulary building with an entirely different approach. It introduces a word and consequently its root, and then builds up a luxuriant number of words over the same and hence acquaints you with them in no time. The book also focuses a lot on revision of the words and this is what makes it a complete vocabulary book. And the very fact that this is the most covete ...more
Amy
Aug 04, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: language
Norman Lewis knows how to teach vocabulary in a way that helps new words stick. In Word Power Made Easy, he does this in several ways:

1. New words are divided into thematic chapters that make it easy to draw connections between the words.

Some chapters are straightforward and closely connected, like "How to Talk About Doctors" or "How to Talk About Science and Scientists." Others are based on a part of speech, like verbs, as in "How to Talk About Actions" and "How to Talk About What Goes On." An
Harish Challapalli
A wonderful book!! Bible to those who want to learn vocab!! Its more of an exercise oriented than theory!! A very good experience!! After completing the book, I felt very confident in replacing many words with its thesaurus!!

I recommend for everyone to go through this and practice well for improving your language!!

Did this while preparing for my GRE and it was very much helpful!!
Prashant
Feb 05, 2012 Prashant rated it liked it
This book by Norman Lewis is the first step for a scholar to start the journey of building a good vocabulary. New words are explained with easy steps and the exercises in the end of each chapter help the reader to test himself before moving further.

This was the first book I picked with the sole intention of learning some new words for the sake of it. :)
Anushri Prabhu
Apr 22, 2014 Anushri Prabhu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for building vocabulary. A must-have for students preparing for competitive exams which test language skills. This book is easy to read and is divided into a number of sections which test your vocabulary as well as grammar. Also has a wide range of Synonyms, Antonyms, Paronyms, Idioms and special phrases. The comprehensive tests given in the book are a tad bit difficult but if you read the book thoroughly, you will be able to solve them.
Grab a copy soon if you want to improv
Teanasce
Jul 12, 2012 Teanasce rated it it was amazing
Great book for to build one's vocabulary , It provides reader with a Idea related to a word , a memoir related to that word so that person could attach to that and word remained instilled in his/her mind . It tells the origin and relation of words like 'Bibliophile' , Its made from Latin word biblio for books and Latin verb philein , to write . It guides about a society of words "like words to insult one's enemy' or 'word's to talk about people' or 'words to talk about doctors' etc . One can bec ...more
Maan
Feb 18, 2014 Maan rated it it was amazing
READ THIS!!! great for enhancing vocabulary and etymology skills
Jay Patel
Feb 08, 2014 Jay Patel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book for english language beginners.I can't even think of any other book for vocabulary.
Jaseem
Jul 15, 2015 Jaseem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone preparing for GRE
The book deals with a very mundane topic: teaching you a few 100 or even 1000
new words. Making such a book engaging is very difficult task for any author. I
think Norman Lewis did Justice to the subject.

This is one of those books everyone starts but no one finishes. Its got a lot to
do with the subject under consideration as well. Unless you have a compelling
reason to finish this, its going to be difficult. Even though the book is really
thick and intimidating at first, there are tons of exercises
Amanda L
Feb 10, 2009 Amanda L rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amanda L by: Garage sale find
A pragmatic approach to building vocabulary, organized according to common topics of conversation (albeit dated at 1949 when originally published). Includes a how-to for assessing your present vocabulary at the onset. Almost entertaining (how to topics include how to talk about personality types, doctors, liars and lying, speech habits, enemies, how to flatter friends, how to talk about complex ideas, attitudes, etc). Brief with respect to etymology/roots. Helpful for pronunciation, with compari ...more
Amit Shetty
Sep 23, 2016 Amit Shetty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mother-of-god
Highly recommended to those who wish to improve their vocabulary, discover new words and to those who wish to realize the fact that they have been speaking Greek and Latin their entire lives without even noticing it.
DO NOT be intimidated by the number of pages. It is really intuitive and will keep you occupied for hours. Definitely beneficial if you are planning to give exams like SAT, GRE, GMAT, CAT etc.
Vijay Kumar
May 15, 2013 Vijay Kumar rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to Vijay by: Just got from footpath seller in Mumbai, India
The very best book to develop and improve our vocabulary. This book systematically teaches us about word roots, its origin, derivations, etc. A must-have reference book for students, professionals, literary personnel, etc. This book helped me, who not a native English speaker, to excel in my communications, both oral & written.
Ashish
Aug 16, 2013 Ashish rated it it was amazing
Great book that completely solves the purpose of improving English vocabulary. This book also provides great insights into the English language like word roots, some special exceptions and lots of other interesting things.

I would recommend that if you are interested in vocabulary building then please own a copy of this one.
Hriday
Jan 26, 2008 Hriday rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
The best in the vocab building genre. The foundation course for all future vocab books. The approach to etymology and the emphasis on its significance is superb.

Not for the reader who wants to learn a quick word or 2. I should like to quote the first 2 lines of the book:

"Dont read this book...This book is not for reading!!!"
Elle
Sep 10, 2012 Elle rated it it was amazing
This was a great vocabulary book, one of my favorites so far. The roots to the words really helped me learn them. I really liked it when the word had a story or history behind it. I don't remember all the words from this book, but I came away having a much larger vocabulary.
Hanif Qureshi
Sep 03, 2015 Hanif Qureshi rated it really liked it
A must read (actually a must do, as you have to work through this one). My favourite of the vocab lot. Lots of roots, etymology, tips to enormously increase your vocab. Of course, you also learn how to flatter your friends and insult your enemies:)
Aswin
Dec 19, 2016 Aswin rated it really liked it
great book to learn vocabulary. I prepared for my TOEFL with the help of this book. I learned what is etymology and what "George" means or how the word "Congregation" is put together. lucid writing, good logical explanations and easy to remember tips.

Anushka Binani
May 03, 2015 Anushka Binani rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!
Hannah Frailey
Jun 06, 2011 Hannah Frailey rated it it was amazing
Best vocabulary book ever!
Ravi Gangwani
Apr 08, 2015 Ravi Gangwani rated it it was amazing
One of the best book I ever read. I don't know how many times but I feel same love for it everytime I take to revise my vocabulary
Divya Gonnabathula
Etymological and logical way of increasing vocab, and retaining it as well!
Milan Maheta
Jul 28, 2015 Milan Maheta marked it as to-read
this book is very useful to us...most favorable or day to day words are using in this book
Shreya Saxena
Oct 24, 2015 Shreya Saxena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now I know why everyone recommends this book. Absolutely helpful and a book to revisit every now and then.
Hemantkumar Jain
An excellent book to improve vocabulary and learn the roots and formation of words
Pramod Verma
Jun 02, 2017 Pramod Verma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books to learn words correctly. It will help you learn all the words with same origin at the same time.
The idea of relating the words with a set of ideas is praiseworthy. The humorous stories and anecdotes are helpful in learning and memorising the words.
The Brief Intermissions help you how to use this book for maximum benefit
The Comprehensive Tests judge your mastery on words.
Kishor
Jun 08, 2017 Kishor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book for improving your vocabulary. Not only does it teach you how to reason about words and word structure, etymology and derivations, it does it in a humorous and digestible fashion. There were a few misprints/typos in my edition, but these were by no means a fault of the author.
MANOHAR BURRA
May 22, 2017 MANOHAR BURRA rated it it was amazing
Best introduction to anyone willing to understand about Words in English language and improve their vocabulary.

Gives a process to learn new words that will stay with you for a life time.
Goodreads Librari...: PAPERBACK & MASS MARKET PAPERBACK 4 37 Aug 16, 2014 07:08AM
  • Merriam-Webster's Vocabulary Builder
  • First Thousand Words in English
  • 52 Mondays: The One Year Path to Outrageous Success & Lifelong Happiness
  • The Wealth Cure: Putting Money in Its Place
  • The Case of the Calendar Girl
  • London (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • 1100 Words You Need to Know
  • Super Rich: A Guide to Having It All
  • Vikalang Shraddha Ka Daur (विकलांग श्रद्धा का दौर)
  • The Anti 9-to-5 Guide: Practical Career Advice for Women Who Think Outside the Cube
  • Kamayani

“Philadelphia is the City of Brotherly Love” 2 likes
“your vocabulary indicates the alertness and range of your mind. The words you know show the extent of your understanding of what’s going on in the world. The size of your vocabulary varies directly with the degree to which you are growing intellectually.” 1 likes