Start by marking “Word Power Made Easy” as Want to Read:
Word Power Made Easy

Word Power Made Easy

Word Power Made Easy is a comprehensive vocabulary‑building system created by legendary grammarian Norman Lewis that provides a simple, step‑by‑step method to increase your knowledge and mastery of the English language.

Word Power Made Easy is the best and quickest means to a better vocabulary in the English language. As you complete the exercises in this book, you will lea
Published February 15th 1991 by Pocket Books (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Word Power Made Easy, please sign up.
Dony Read the chapter intro, the word definitions, then complete the exercises. Go back and reread anything you didn't get right and maybe refresh yourself…moreRead the chapter intro, the word definitions, then complete the exercises. Go back and reread anything you didn't get right and maybe refresh yourself with the material at the end of the week, considering you've finished 4-5 chapters that week.(less)
Kamlesh Singh it is one of the easy book and productive for strengthening our vocab...
and i had completed this book in just 15 days ...
one of the way is READ 3 chap…more
it is one of the easy book and productive for strengthening our vocab...
and i had completed this book in just 15 days ...
one of the way is READ 3 chapters on ONE day after that make notes of that 3 chapters on your copy....right this way daily read 3 - 3 chapters in just 15 days you can complete the whole book surely ...!! (less)

Start your review of Word Power Made Easy
Daisy Holtel
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
"A new word is not just another pattern of syllables with which to clutter you mind --A new word is a new idea to help you think, to help you understand the thoughts of others, to help you express your own thoughts, to help you live a richer intellectual life." pg. 141

I immensely enjoyed this book. It is a interesting read on its own, as well as a reference guide and a grammatical aid. It will sit next to my dictionary for a long time and will be used frequently. It is a perfect tool for someone
Jaasindah Mir
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Originally reviewed at my blog:

I didn’t have any exposure to vocabulary building books before I decided to pick Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis. Why I decided to pick this book is a reason very simple. I saw it in the best sellers list on Flipkart every time I checked the said page on the site. I wanted to see what was so good about the book that made it sell in a bigger quantity than Paulo Coelho’s books (For me he is the author everybody should re
Dony
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book on improving your vocabulary. I've just bought another one recently, '1500 words in 15 minutes at day', and haven't started it to see how they compare. 'Word Power made easy' was broken up into categories based on what you might require. Each category revolved around a central theme which helped to hold everything together when learning.
Apart from introducing new words, defining them and using them with other inter-connected words, there were also useful information on the ori
Amy
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: language
Norman Lewis knows how to teach vocabulary in a way that helps new words stick. In Word Power Made Easy, he does this in several ways:

1. New words are divided into thematic chapters that make it easy to draw connections between the words.

Some chapters are straightforward and closely connected, like "How to Talk About Doctors" or "How to Talk About Science and Scientists." Others are based on a part of speech, like verbs, as in "How to Talk About Actions" and "How to Talk About What Goes On." An
Tushar
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students,Academia,Professionals,Newbies
This is one of the better vocabulary builders that you are ever likely to find. Instead of being banal and boring, the book approaches vocabulary building with an entirely different approach. It introduces a word and consequently its root, and then builds up a luxuriant number of words over the same and hence acquaints you with them in no time. The book also focuses a lot on revision of the words and this is what makes it a complete vocabulary book. And the very fact that this is the most covete ...more
Harish Challapalli
A wonderful book!! Bible to those who want to learn vocab!! Its more of an exercise oriented than theory!! A very good experience!! After completing the book, I felt very confident in replacing many words with its thesaurus!!

I recommend for everyone to go through this and practice well for improving your language!!

Did this while preparing for my GRE and it was very much helpful!!
Neeraj Adhikari
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best way to enrich and expand your vocabulary is to read voraciously and extensively. The second best way is to read this book.

The approach the book takes to teach you new words is to explain their etymology and then to make you work with them. Making the reader work with the words goes a long way in helping remember the words. That way you don't have to make great efforts by yourself to memorize them.

I found it really interesting to learn the sometimes strange and quirky origin of a lot of
Prashant
Feb 05, 2012 rated it liked it
This book by Norman Lewis is the first step for a scholar to start the journey of building a good vocabulary. New words are explained with easy steps and the exercises in the end of each chapter help the reader to test himself before moving further.

This was the first book I picked with the sole intention of learning some new words for the sake of it. :)
Chitraketu Pandey
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is a book about how to improve your vocabulary and it does so in a very different manner. A short anecdote is attached with each words. As written in the books every word is associated with an idea. By learning new words, we are expanding our horizon of knowledge. The explanation of each words with their corresponding origins help the readers to engulf the words very conveniently. I think every one should give this book a read.
Anushri Prabhu
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for building vocabulary. A must-have for students preparing for competitive exams which test language skills. This book is easy to read and is divided into a number of sections which test your vocabulary as well as grammar. Also has a wide range of Synonyms, Antonyms, Paronyms, Idioms and special phrases. The comprehensive tests given in the book are a tad bit difficult but if you read the book thoroughly, you will be able to solve them.
Grab a copy soon if you want to improv
Jay Patel
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book for english language beginners.I can't even think of any other book for vocabulary.
Maan
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
READ THIS!!! great for enhancing vocabulary and etymology skills
Fahed S. Al Kerdi
A hardcore book, not for beginners.... But honestly, I don't remember I have ever read such an informative English learning books as this. Try it your own.
Teanasce
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book for to build one's vocabulary , It provides reader with a Idea related to a word , a memoir related to that word so that person could attach to that and word remained instilled in his/her mind . It tells the origin and relation of words like 'Bibliophile' , Its made from Latin word biblio for books and Latin verb philein , to write . It guides about a society of words "like words to insult one's enemy' or 'word's to talk about people' or 'words to talk about doctors' etc . One can bec ...more
Jashan
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A nice way of expanding the vocabulary, with friendly tone and activities that actually help.
Sachin
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good
Mahantesh Goudar
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's a treasure of knowledge about English vocabulary and improved my vocabulary exponentially.
Utsav Patel
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I would have got this book earlier. Very unique approach to learn new words using etymology. There are some session in between each modules which are also very helpful (Like grammar, spelling checking, understanding of your etymology etc). I recommend this book to everyone to make their English very fruitful.
Ala
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this from the very first pages till the end. I wanted to read something that would help me become fluent in English and this was a big step for me or so I think!
Edward Banner
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very few books have had a demonstrable effect on my daily activities but this book has done just that. I read this when studying for the GRE.

In life, it is often the case that the things we seek to comprehend are complex in nature. However if we examine their structure we can often see the concept is not an atomic entity, but rather made up of parts. Often these parts are simpler to understand than the whole and can be combined and reused. This book taught me that words can viewed and understood
Jaseem
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone preparing for GRE
The book deals with a very mundane topic: teaching you a few 100 or even 1000
new words. Making such a book engaging is very difficult task for any author. I
think Norman Lewis did Justice to the subject.

This is one of those books everyone starts but no one finishes. Its got a lot to
do with the subject under consideration as well. Unless you have a compelling
reason to finish this, its going to be difficult. Even though the book is really
thick and intimidating at first, there are tons of exercises
Amanda L
Feb 10, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amanda L by: Garage sale find
A pragmatic approach to building vocabulary, organized according to common topics of conversation (albeit dated at 1949 when originally published). Includes a how-to for assessing your present vocabulary at the onset. Almost entertaining (how to topics include how to talk about personality types, doctors, liars and lying, speech habits, enemies, how to flatter friends, how to talk about complex ideas, attitudes, etc). Brief with respect to etymology/roots. Helpful for pronunciation, with compari ...more
Amit
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended to those who wish to improve their vocabulary, discover new words and to those who wish to realize the fact that they have been speaking Greek and Latin their entire lives without even noticing it.
DO NOT be intimidated by the number of pages. It is really intuitive and will keep you occupied for hours. Definitely beneficial if you are planning to give exams like SAT, GRE, GMAT, CAT etc.
Hriday
Jan 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
The best in the vocab building genre. The foundation course for all future vocab books. The approach to etymology and the emphasis on its significance is superb.

Not for the reader who wants to learn a quick word or 2. I should like to quote the first 2 lines of the book:

"Dont read this book...This book is not for reading!!!"
Vijay Kumar
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to Vijay by: Just got from footpath seller in Mumbai, India
The very best book to develop and improve our vocabulary. This book systematically teaches us about word roots, its origin, derivations, etc. A must-have reference book for students, professionals, literary personnel, etc. This book helped me, who not a native English speaker, to excel in my communications, both oral & written. ...more
Ashish
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book that completely solves the purpose of improving English vocabulary. This book also provides great insights into the English language like word roots, some special exceptions and lots of other interesting things.

I would recommend that if you are interested in vocabulary building then please own a copy of this one.
Saumay Agrawal
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book by Norma Lewis. And the fun fact is that you can find it the house of every avid reader. Ironically, very few enough have been able to reap the rewards of this awesome book. I just have one opinion about this book. If you are patient enough, this book will literally make a beast out of your vocabulary.
Elle
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a great vocabulary book, one of my favorites so far. The roots to the words really helped me learn them. I really liked it when the word had a story or history behind it. I don't remember all the words from this book, but I came away having a much larger vocabulary.
Boni Aditya
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: textbooks
The book is a collection of all the words that fit to the theories of the author that you can derive the meaning of the word from its roots unfortunately you end up confusing yourself. This is a very bad way of trying to improve your vocabulary!
Hanif Qureshi
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
A must read (actually a must do, as you have to work through this one). My favourite of the vocab lot. Lots of roots, etymology, tips to enormously increase your vocab. Of course, you also learn how to flatter your friends and insult your enemies:)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: PAPERBACK & MASS MARKET PAPERBACK 4 42 Aug 16, 2014 07:08AM

• Data Structures and Algorithms Made Easy
  • 30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary
  • When The Road Beckons
  • You Can Win: A Step by Step Tool for Top Achievers
  • Merriam-Webster's Vocabulary Builder
  • On the Open Road: Three Lives. Five Cities. One Startup.
  • Scion of Ikshvaku (Ram Chandra #1)
  • The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams and Reaching Your Destiny
  • 2 States: The Story of My Marriage
  • India's Struggle for Independence
  • The Oath of the Vayuputras (Shiva Trilogy, #3)
  • The Immortals of Meluha (Shiva Trilogy, #1)
  • How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT Common Admission Test

News & Interviews

“Your method was the essence of simplicity: day in and day out you kept learning; you kept squeezing every possible ounce of learning out of every waking moment; you were an eternal question box, for you had a constant and insatiable desire to know and understand.” 2 likes
“Philadelphia is the City of Brotherly Love” 1 likes