Start by marking “Albion” as Want to Read:
Albion

Albion

(Albion)

For decades, children all across the British Isles thrilled to the comic-strip exploits of their favourite heroes - The Spider, The Steel Claw, Captain Hurricane and more. But the comics, and their heroes, disappeared...Now Danny, a young student, and Penny, who claims to be the daughter of a forgotten hero, are investigating the disappearances. Meanwhile, in an isolated c ...more
Published 2007 by Wildstorm Productions (first published November 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Albion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Albion

Alejandro
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
An interesting reading!

This TPB edition collects "Albion" miniseries #1-6.

Creative Team:

Original Plot: Alan Moore

Writers: Leah Moore & John Reppion

Illustrator: Shane Oakley

Covers: Dave Gibbons

Letterer: Todd Klein

BRITISH COMICS TRIBUTE

Albion is very well written by Leah Moore, who is the daughter of Alan Moore, and the story is based on a plot by him.

Also, you have beautiful covers by Dave Gibbons (Watchmen) and having Todd Klein as letterer is a good plus.

Maybe the only downsize is that
AK Mama Reads
Jul 18, 2010 rated it liked it
I liked it, but I felt left out and confused with all the British comics references that weren't explained. I applaud the editors' and contributors' efforts in attempting to help us lazy young Americans understand what was happening between the panels, but I just couldn't love this book like I wanted to.
Tony
May 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
It's a sub-par League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Nice to see all the retro Comic references but the artwork is unappealing (not a patch on the splendid Kev O'Neill) and the whole thing has that 'thrown together after an idea at a party' feel. Disappointing.
Mel
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I got a copy of this from the library. Based on a plot by Alan Moore the book is written by his daughter and her husband. It's fairly standard comic book fare but quirky enough to be fun and interesting. The book takes all the heros from early British comics in the 60s and 70s and puts them all in the same world (actually prison) and the book focuses on a geek and one of their daughters breaking everyone out. What this book really illustrates is the difference between American superheros and the ...more
Venus Maneater
May 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
The plot didn't blow me away, to say the least, and neither did the characters. I imagine that someone familiar with all the comic strips referenced by Moore might enjoy this a whole lot more, but I had to force myself to finish it.
Erik
Sep 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Maybe I need to be a middle-age Brit – who in his youth devoured mid-century comic books produced in the UK -- in order to fully enjoy this nostalgia-tinged “What Ever Happened to…?” retro-comic book epic.* The premise is clever enough: The daughter of one of England’s great comic book heroes goes in search of her father’s former colleagues – all of whom have been in hiding for the past several decades; hence the disbelief that they really exist outside of the printed four-color page. But the ex ...more
Fugo Feedback
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mooristas y fans del comic inglés en general.
Recommended to Fugo by: Bucletina al regalármelo.
Divertida e interesante revisitación de varios comics ingleses de mano de la flia Moore-Reppion. El dibujo en algunas partes parece contrastar con las ideas del guión pero es bastante expresivo y funciona bien la mayoría de las veces. Del guión en sí, lo que menos me convencieron fueron algunos diálogos, aunque quizás la culpa de eso lo tenga la traducción. Cuando lo relea -si puedo, en inglés-, seguro se gane una reseña más elaborada.
Artur Coelho
Nov 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Os fãs de banda desenhada costumam dividir as suas lealdades. Por um lado, olham para o golorioso formato comic, de origem americana, com as suas histórias em permanente continuidade mensal. Se bem que aparentemente limitados às histórias tipicamente adolescentes de super-heróis sempre em luta contra abomináveis ameaças, o comic é algo muito mais abrangente, que reúne uma série de experiências clássicas, objectos de culto a roçar o camp (ou então perfeitamente kitsch) e, nos últimos tempos, graç ...more
Matthew Pennell
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Despite Alan Moore's name being front and centre, you quickly discover that he is only responsible for "plotting" this graphic novel; the writing is provided by his daughter Leah and her husband John Reppion, and is nothing like as high quality as you'd expect from a book with Alan Moore's name on it. The characters (revivals of 60s comic staples) were mostly strangers to me too, aside from Faceache who I vaguely remember from Buster.
Peter
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
An engrossing story giving a history of British comics.
Josephus FromPlacitas
I had a hard time following this. A lot of the dialogue was oblique and full of portent, which was too obscure for me get. It was so very, very British, the dialogue that implies much and states little. The art also had an absence of segues that gave me a bit of trouble, too. One frame one character is making a whole bunch of references I don't get, the next frame some other barely-introduced character is talking about something apparently unrelated. I'm lost.

The little history lesson on 60s and
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/904393.html[return][return]Albion is a British riff on the resurrection of old superheroes in today's world, being busted out of the Scottish castle in which they have been imprisoned since the government turned against them. It's generally good stuff, with some nice touches - how did Margaret Thatcher really survive the Brighton bomb? And one particularly nasty character grumbles, "The world's gone soft! See where your Teletubbies have led you?!"[return][return]It is ...more
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is not only a very different sort of shared universe. It's a sort of gateway drug for British comics. After reading this marvelous tale of obscure (here in the U. S.) British comic strip characters, I was hungry for more. Not only would I love to read their earlier adventures, but I'd love to see new stories featuring them. The section of classic strips at the end of the book only served to inflame that hunger.
Besides the theme of nostalgia (even though this was my introduction to all
Tammykirk
Nov 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Although this book was a tribute to old and rather obscure British comics it was very accessible to readers unfamiliar with those comics. While sometimes the action was a bit hard to follow, the text was great. The story was a lot of fun, the plot was clear, and the resolution was satisfactory. I'd like to see more of these characters, but only if they are handled as well as they were in this volume.

My only negative comment is that although the editor and Neil Gaiman both referenced that these c
Steven
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
The story revolves around a modern-day Britain where comic book characters have turned out to really exist. The British public had been largely unaware of their existence throughout the '60s and '70s, thinking them to be fictional. Most of the IPC heroes are now interred within an asylum, and the daughter of one of the inmates is determined to reveal their existence to the larger public.

Starts off intriguingly, but ultimately disappointing.
Andrew
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good stuff. You can't mess with Alan Moore. He wrote this with his daughter, it is a new story about all these old British comic characters. Neil Gaiman wrote the intro and he was psyched all these obscure characters from British comics were back. Even not knowing the back history of the characters it was a good comic.
Lukas Holmes
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it
I am guessing this was meant for an audience that isn't me. I am unfamiliar with the characters so their turning out to be real, imprisoned and ultimately unleashed on the world means nothing to me. Worse than that, the story seems so rushed and so densely packed it just didn't move me at all. Artwork was terrific though.
John
May 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Kind of sad proof that not ever propety nor obscure character can be resucitated; either through reconstruction and deconstruction (All DC has done well with their Hanna Barbera properties lately). This is a Penny Dreadful's League of Extrordinary Gentlemen.

It's plotted by Moore and written by Leah Moore and John Reppion. If I'm not mistaken, this may have been their first comic.

Ma'Belle
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
This Yank hearts British comics. This was the most fun I've had reading a comic book in some time! Even without any familiarity with the characters revived for this series, Alan Moore's storytelling was top notch and made the action extremely enjoyable.
Darren Murr
Dec 28, 2011 rated it liked it
An half baked attempt at aping the brilliant League of Extraordinary Gentlemen books. Leah Moore and John Reppion clearly don't have Alan Moore's easy facility with characterisation and pacing. Had its moments but mainly a disappointment, I'm afraid.
Todd Glaeser
Enjoyable Romp, but I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more if I could have played "spot the reference" like I can in a book Like "Top 10" or "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen." But I don't have the background in British comic book characters.
Travis
Apr 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Not bad, but as I'm not real familiar with a lot of these characters it didn't make as big an impression on me as LoEG.

Still a fun read with some wonderfully bizarre characters. Shame Moore didn't have a chance to do more with them .
Albert
Feb 19, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a rich, vivid story by Leah and Alan Moore, with absolutely exquisite art throughout (which regularly changes styles, I may add). The only problem, and it's a big one, is that it's so mired in the history of British comics that if you are going into this blind, you won't get anything.
Oliver
Jan 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great idea, very nicely executed.
Bryce Holt
Comic Book Series 5-21-2012
Eric Orchard
Dec 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Brilliant and fun. Deserves a broader readership.
Vasil Kolev
Feb 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Too short for my taste, has a nice story but could've been a bit more developed. The art is also not that good.
Devowasright
Apr 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
another one i read as issues. there was a long gap in the last one coming out, so it will all be reread one of these rainy days.
Old-Barbarossa
Oct 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is to kids comics of my generation what LOEG is to Victorian/Edwardian fiction. Strangely nostalgic but new. Could Archie take Ironman in a fight? No, probably not...
  • Alan Moore: Portrait of an Extraordinary Gentleman
  • Suburban Glamour
  • Top 10: Beyond the Farthest Precinct
  • Corto Maltese en Sibérie (Corto Maltese #7)
  • Torchwood: Rift War
  • Justice Society Returns
  • A Scanner Darkly [Graphic Novel]
  • Grammatical Man: Information, Entropy, Language, and Life
  • My Perfect Life
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: A Stake to the Heart (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #7 Buffy Season 1)
  • Before Watchmen: Dollar Bill (One-Shot)
  • Goddess
  • Batman: Death Mask
  • Global Frequency, Vol. 1: Planet Ablaze
  • Fire
  • Madman Vol. 1: The Oddity Odyssey
Alan Moore is an English writer most famous for his influential work in comics, including the acclaimed graphic novels Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell. He has also written a novel, Voice of the Fire, and performs "workings" (one-off performance art/spoken word pieces) with The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels, some of which have been released on CD.

As a comics writer, Moor

Albion (6 books)
  • Albion: Origins
  • King of Crooks (featuring The British Spider)
  • The Steel Claw: The Vanishing Man