Start by marking “Dangerous” as Want to Read:

Dangerous

From a magnificent ballroom ablaze with lights to an imposing country house steeped in shadows comes a breathtaking tale of an impetuous miss—and a passion that leads to peril...

At five and twenty, Prudence Merryweather knew very well what risks a woman took by visiting a gentleman in the dead of night. But bearding the notorious Earl of Angelstone in his den was the only
Published December 23rd 2009 by Bantam (first published April 28th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Dangerous
Richa
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was the darkest hour of the night.....

She was going to pay a call to the man known as Fallen Angel...

She had no other choice if she wanted to save her brother's neck...so she walks into his den and finds....

LUCIFER!!!!

Sorry, that's just his (the man called Fallen Angel's) black cat, Lucifer!! :P

Anyway...coming back to the story....

So, she walks into his den...his home and finds him....the man everyone called Fallen Angel....the last and only person who could help her...

So, who is she???

She
Dina
Jun 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dina by: Holly R
I read somewhere that Amanda Quick's historical romance novels follow an usual "formula": a somewhat tortured hero who needs to learn how to love and laugh + a quirky heroine who marches into his life bringing said love and laughter and never takes no for an answer. Well, I happen to like that "formula" and Dangerous does follow it, so no one will see me complaining here. :)

I loved the charming and sarcastic hero (Sebastian) and the funny and indomitable heroine (Prue). Their quick banter had me
Rane
Out to save her hot headed brother from a duel that could kill him Prudence Merryweather finds herself at the door of the man whom her brother challenged, finally coming to an understanding to spare her brother, Pru ends up making a deal with the Fallen Angel which he may collect at anytime, but it doesn’t have her “to” worried that is until he kisses her.
The Earl of Angelstone, Sebastian Fleetwood finds the amateur ghost hunter Ms.Merryweather fascinating and very unusual from the women of
Ira
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

It should be an easy 5 stars if I didn't want to smack the heroine for a few time.
Her quick to defend whoever the target of the Hero's sharp tongue it's very annoying especially when its deserved.

Anyway, this one has a good storyline, I wonder if Ms. Roberts got inspired from this book to write Brotherhood in Death, you know what I mean if you already read that book.

Somehow while the disgusting crime are the same, because of the humor in it, this book feel much lighter than BiD and
Becca
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sebastian and Prudence are a funny couple. It was quintessential Amanda Quick.

Sebastian is a super confident, cool, and enigmatic hero. He is always in control and is drawn to the quirky Prudence from the beginning. Prudence is an odd duck, quick to defend those important to her, and always fascinated by a mystery.

While some of the dialogue was a little awkward and Prudence could be tiresome, it was still somehow, fun. I think what was refreshing about the story was that most of the conflict was
Holly
Oct 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amanda-quick
This gothic lite story starts with Miss Prudence Merryweather paying a visit to the Earl of Angelstone, Sebastian Fleetwood, at his home way past the hour of acceptability. She has come because her absurdly protective brother is determined to avenge her honor which has been rocked by the fact that the Fallen Angel has been seen in her presence. The ambiance starts up immediately when we are introduced to Sebastian who has been relaxing in his home in a state of dishabille. He eyes Prue up and ...more
Zoe
Nov 04, 2015 rated it liked it
A re-read from my youth, this one is.

I read almost all of Amanda Quick's one-word romance novels years ago. Formulaic that they are, I seem to recall them with great clarity. During this phase, Amanda Quick had a distinct preference for eccentric heroines, often with spectacles paired with cold-on-the-surface heros, often earls who were by nature honorable men. I noticed that she had a series of earls as heros. She did not seem to like other ranks much.

In these stories the heros were always
Chitra *CJ*
"Dangerous" is the story of Prudence and Sebastian.
When Prudence's brother challenges Lord Sebastian Angelwood to a morning duel just for dancing with his sister, Prudence takes it upon herself to travel at midnight and convince Angelwood to refuse the same, by apologizing to her brother.
Angelwood agrees, but only if they can partner up.
He is a detective investigating a series of unsolved mysteries, she is a ghost huntress. Things start getting meddled up when one of the haunted location ends
G.
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Amanda Quick might not be the historical romance author for me, it seems. It's hard to say. I found Dangerous to be okay. It's hard to say how much of that is because I didn't read it in the original English. Anyway, I didn't hate it, I didn't like it. Shrug.
MissJessie
Not Ms. Quick's best.

The plotline it a typical Quick one - innocent heroine (probably virginal), dark mysterious possibly dangerous hero, various threats to the lady, ritual deflowering of the virgin in the library, hero to the rescue, happy ending. These books are all the same and the pleasure is in seeing how the resolution is reached, not in wondering what will happen at the end. Fine.

But books should be somewhat believable in their own sphere I think.

No woman in her right mind, then or now,
Maria
Another favorite re-read, this one has Prudence and the Earl of Angelstone sharing investigative adventures as the Earl maneuvers Prudence toward marriage. One of the things I like best about Jayne Ann Krentz is her male characters, who generally know exactly what they want and how to get it without having a clue as to why they want it, which is so typically male. Her female characters, on the other hand, are often headstrong and independent but succumb to their emotions, which gives the male ...more
Loriidae
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-read, 2017-read
Yes it is flawed but a delightful romp all the same.
Andree
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
It's getting to the point where I kind of feel like if you are okay with one Amanda Quick novel, you will probably be okay with the vast majority of them. It's like she has, I dunno, twenty plot elements, and for any given novel she randomly draws fifteen of them. The similarities they are striking, is basically what I'm saying.

Look, this was enjoyable. Because with AQ, you pretty much know what the overall plot is gonna be going in (so I am learning). The novels basically succeed or fail on the
Kathleen
Our eccentric little ghost-busting heroine bespeaks the aide of Angelstone, aka The Fallen Angel, who dwells in the shadows with furry little Lucifer. Fun!
Gina
Amanda Quick's old historicals are a bit hit or miss. For every Ravished that is easily 5+!!! stars, there are many that are solidly in the 1 to 2 range. While I don't think Dangerous is as good as Ravished, it's close. So very close. More like 4.75. I would love to talk about it, especially with those who also loved Ravished as a comparison, but feel many details at all would give some of the best parts away. There are a few things that Quick does especially well: 1. The book begins in medius ...more
Farah
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books
I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either , the plot was interesting and the characters were different in a good way but when it all came together it didn't click.

Pru was more like a mother figure than a love interest to Sebastien , I did love her character , she's bossy , intelligent , a little eccentric and very clever but the way she treated Sebastian made her seem like an elder lady not his wife , the way she advised him and the way she treated him in front of others was a little
Pamela Shropshire
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another early, classic AQ! Prudence Merriwether is the daughter of "scientists" and she is herself interested in ghosts. She calls herself "an investigator of spectral phenomena." She and her brother have been brought to London by Lady Hester for whom she performed an investigation and found that lady's missing jewels.

The book opens with Prudence visiting Sebastian Fleetwood, the Earl of Angelstone, to convince him to call off a duel with her brother, Trevor. Earlier in the evening, Sebastian,
Courtnie
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Lynn Spencer
3.5 stars This was a bit of a nostalgia re-read for me. I loved Quick's "letter" historicals when I was in high school and early college. Dangerous isn't the best of them, but it still has its moments.

The basic plot? Spinsterish Prudence Merryweather calls on the Earl of Angelstone late at night to convince him not to duel with her brother. Their inital meeting is fraught with all kinds of tension and makes for great reading. Sebastian, the Earl, finds himself unexpectedly intrigued by the
AlwaysV
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the story! Very entertaining! A perfect HEA couple in every way. Loved Sebastian's dry humor. He didn't even know how hilarious he was Prudence was the same way Sharing one of Sebastian ordinary scenes

"Well, he was an odd one. There have been rumors of some strange doings up at the castle from time to time."

"Is that so?" Sebastian said politely. . .

"Aye. Servant gossip, you know; . . . Well, that's neither here nor there now. The man is dead."

"Quite dead," Sebastian said.
Diane ~Firefly~
Love this story. It was the first Amanda Quick I ever read. There is an intelligent and "original" heroine with little family. A hero who has family issues and a mystery to solve. That is the formula for these books and it is one I love.

Prudence begs Sebastian to call off the duel her brother started by apologizing to him. He agrees and through some mix-up they soon end up engaged. Pru sees only good things in Sebastian which brings out his better nature.
Juliana Philippa
A great Amanda Quick read and one of my favorite by her. Prudence is a strong, adventurous, and lovely heroine and it is an absolute joy to watch Sebastian, "The Fallen Angel," fall under her spell - completely unwillingly on his part and unknowingly on hers. Angelstone is great - the cold, austere, vengeful hero whom everyone is scared of ... except our heroine, of course, who intrigues and enchants him!
Fatimama
Re-read.. hmm Pru was annoying, too stubborn for her own good..
adelina.
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! But then again witch book from Amanda Qucik I didn't like.
Jenny Koch
DNF @ p. 203

The heroine is so darn sweet and saintly, it's driving me insane.
Colleen
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

I read a bunch of Amanda Quick books in college but then got burnt out on them. I do occasionally still pick up one by her though. They are great when I want an enjoyable, light read.

Dangerous is a standard Regency Romance. It begins with Prudence Merryweather making a risky visit to the notorious Sebastian, the Earl of Angelstone, in an attempt to save her brother from a duel. Sebastian is intrigued by Prudence and quickly becomes protective of her as danger surrounds them.

Although
Cheesecake
(Sebastian) Angelstone and Prudence.
I listened to this on audio and yes, I had indeed read it before. But I still enjoyed it a second time. I loved the h and H! As is typical for AQ, the H is a bad boy who is very much in control, bordering on austere. He is enamoured by the h who is far different from his usual cup of tea. The h is pretty cerebral but a bit stupid when it comes to men and women and sex. He of course steams up her glasses like no other. ; )
Angelstone notices Prudence the minute
Yue
Like 4 or 5 years ago I've read almost all books by Amanda Quick. She became one of my favorites Historical Romance authors, along with Lisa Kleypas and Julie Quinn. The bad thing about reading all her books in a row is that, with time, you tend to mix the plots, the characters, which is what happened to me. I remembered this book was one of my favorites, but I could not remember the plot that well.

As usual, the heroine is... unusual. And the hero, a cold rakish gentleman. Why is this formula
Lauren
4 Stars

Yes, Amanda Quick's heroes and heroines are much of a muchness and her plots are rather formulaic. That said, she is, nonetheless, a wonderful storyteller. The mysteries are suspenseful and the romances are entertaining and satisfying.

Dangerous is no exception with the heroine, Prudence Merryweather, engaging in paranormal investigations, and the hero, Sebastian, Earl of Angelstone, investigating crimes for the Bow Street Runners. The two find themselves embroiled in a case
SaturNalia
Prudence is interested in ghosts and likes to investigate spectural phenemonan. She is calm and logical, with bad fashion sense. I liked her a lot, she was quirky in just the right amount, loyal and funny. Sebastion also likes to investigate, but his interests are society crimes. He is lonely and bored with life, has a terrible relationship with his remaining family and feels guilty for the death of his parents. I liked him a lot too, he was the right amount of brooding and distant. Prudance and ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Dangerous (1993) 1 8 Sep 27, 2012 12:17PM

• The Lost Night (Rainshadow, #1; Ghost Hunters, #9)
  • Truth or Dare (Whispering Springs, #2)
  • Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, #3)
  • Trust Me
  • Flash
  • The Adventurer (Ladies and Legends #2)
  • To Love a Wicked Scoundrel (Three Regency Rogues, #1)
  • Tempting Fate (Providence, #2)
  • Absolutely, Positively
  • In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10; Looking Glass Trilogy, #1)
  • Deception Cove (Rainshadow, #2; Ghost Hunters, #10)
  • Wildest Hearts
  • Gift of Fire (Gift, #2)
  • Running Hot (Arcane Society, #5)
  • Between The Lines
  • After Dark (Ghost Hunters, #1)
  • Falling Awake
  • Shield's Lady (Lost Colony, #3)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the
“Knowing that you love me is not a source of amusement.” Sebastian realized that his hands were shaking with the force of the emotion that was pouring through him. “It is my salvation” 25 likes
“Of course I won't go alone. I shall take my maid."

"No," Sebastian said. "You will take me.”
16 likes