Start by marking “Slightly Shady (Lake/March, #1)” as Want to Read:
Slightly Shady (Lake/March, #1)

Slightly Shady

(Lake & March #1)

Amanda Quick's bestselling trademark is a combination of suspense and passion in historical tales alight with sparkling wit and brimming with dangerous intrigue. Now she serves up the most tantalizing novel of her career as an enterprising woman allies herself with a mysterious spy, only to be caught in a seething brew of treachery — and temptation....

From the
Published December 18th 2007 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Slightly Shady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slightly Shady

Start your review of Slightly Shady (Lake/March, #1)
Steven
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I almost didn't read this one. I read the second one then the third one and loved them both. I read some of the bad comments and skipped this one then I decided to read it. Why were some people so mean to this one, it was great. Even a bad Amanda book is a four star. Lavinia and Lake are the original Dallas and Roarke. Do not skip this one, read it first with no fear.
Nidofito
I took such large breaks from reading this book that I don't really know what to say about it. But I think I'll read the next one because it had a humorous tone that I often find in Deanna Raybourn's books and I kind of liked the characters as well.
Daniella
Jun 28, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"Extremely disappointed" does not even begin to describe how I feel about this book.
description

I've always been reluctant to read a romance trilogy, or a series with the same leads because they tend to be really slow in terms of the development in the characters' relationship. But Slightly Shady's glowing reviews and Amanda Quick's spot as one of my favourite writers compelled
Andree
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Well, with this one AQ really broke the mold.

I kid; she did not. This one is much like all the others. But it is also one of the ones where the couple have fairly good chemistry, SO.

Tobias is a bit heavy-handed/dictatorial, Lavinia's a bit all over the place sometimes, and the niece and brother-in-law are sort of irritatingly good (probably to act as foils to the more hot-headed leads, but still), still I enjoyed it well enough.
gina~*
This is the first in the Lavinia Lake/Tobias March Series. It is the book that has turned me on to historical romance and now im hooked!!!! Amanda Quick is my favorite author because she writes the perfect mix of suspense, mystery and of coarse the romance!!
Heidi
Wasn't sure how I'd feel about following the same hero & heroine through three books, but this trilogy worked. I liked each book better than the last! :)

Book 1 - Slightly Shady
Book 2 - Don't Look Back
*be sure to read in order*
Norah Gibbons
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audio book is very well done, excellent narration.
Having read this story first a number of years ago I was delighted to find that it holds up well and is just as intriguing as it was the first time I read it. The banter between Tobias and Lavinia is wonderful.
Susan Wojtas
DNF at 20%. I have tried many times to read romance novels and I just need to fully admit they are not my cup of tea. I did read another book by this author many years ago and enjoyed it, but I couldn't do it with this one. Oh well
Debra McEathron
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tobias has met his match with Lavina and they need to solve a traitorous murderer. They have to learn to work together to solve the mystery.
Carrie
TBR Challenge 2012- February category: Recommended by another reader. this was recommended by my daughter Hannah. Added Feb 2011.

3.5/5 Grade B

Slightly Shady is a solid effort by Amanda Quick. The dialog, between all the characters not just the leads, was smart and witty. Tobias is a wonderfully grouchy hero. Lavinia is a fairly typical Quick/Krentz heroine, which is to say a somewhat unconventional bluestocking who is matter-of-fact and independent-minded. The secondary characters Emili/>Slightly
Megan Baxter
I read romances when they come up on one of my many lists, but it will never be my preferred genre. Slightly Shady was a fast read, light, fluffy, and vaguely irritating to anyone who knows anything about history. Again, one that won't stick with me.

Lavinia has set herself up as a female detective, while simultaneously trying to get her niece married off to someone highranking. And ends up teaming up with a man she loathes (I'm guess you can guess where this is going!) on a particula
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2013reads
Normally, I really enjoy Quick's books, but this one just felt phoned in - the relationships and emotions felt contrived. I had been reading everything she published for awhile and about when this came out, I stopped. I got back into Quick through the Arcane Society novels which I have been really enjoying - this actually felt like a bit of a test run for those. I can't decide if I should continue with the Lake/March novels or not - I may try one more. This makes two disappointing romances in a ...more
Jill
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, suspense
I did not like this one at all. I don't know why I even finished it. The main character was completely unlikeable. I kept waiting and waiting for there to be something under the snootiness, etc. Nothing. I can't imagine what Tobias saw in her. Although I did wonder if I would have had a different reaction had I read it and not listened to it. Probably not--there would be times when she was all indignant and would get mad and it was so unwarranted! It was too bad, too. I usually like Amanda Quick ...more
Bethany
Really loved this! Lavinia and Tobias are fun to read when they're sparring, and the mystery, although not the most clever, held enough excitement and intrigue for me. In general, the story moved quickly and the romance between the leads moved along nicely, not too quickly and not too slowly; I really liked that it's a continuing series so their adventures and interactions keep going and don't shift to another couple. This also means there isn't any insta-love or -lust (yay!) and the end game (a ...more
Julie
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main protagonists are not the upper crust, rather they are what we would now consider the middle class. Both Lavinia and Tobias are quite intelligent, which serves them well in having to make their way in the world. Both have someone younger depending on them also.
They are thrown together by accident, when the trail Tobias is following leads him to Lavinia's shop. Instead of letting her be collateral damage, he enables her and her sister to get back to England, over her quite vehement
SSShafiq
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, thrillers
This was less of a romance novel and more of a simple thriller dealing with espionage, spies and a murder plot. All in all, I enjoyed this book though I kept wondering if this would go supernatural like Ms. Quick’s The Arcane Society Series. The book is actually quite simple which somehow works. I was not convinced at the romance between the leads but I did like their interaction enough to want to proceed with the next book in the series.

Overall, this is a pretty straight read so don't expect earth sh
Shahista Swellam
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just Like any of the novels i have read up so far for Amanda quick I did like it .
Though i did not feel much the chemistry between Lavina and Tobais but I was still able to feel their connection at certain level . Apart from the romance which isnt the main focus of the book, i loved the twists in the plot , and just when i thought i reached the end of the book i was only greeted with another unexpected plot followed by another one .
Amanda has always done great with her mysteries and crime
Megengelter
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-hx, f-romance
Enjoyable, light read (at 319 pages [paperback], I appreciated being able to set the book down and pick it back up with little loss of continuity). A couple of unique takeaways were the banter between Lake and Marsh which added interest and a glimpse into the London Season. Can you figure out "who did it" before the final pages?
Suze
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read this before but I needed to resurrect my library ebook card and so who better to choose!
A standard AQ read - feitsy female lead, brooding grumpy (bonus injury) male lead who spark off each other whenever they meet - good and bad sparks!! Each has a sensible sidekick who also share that spark just not so volatile.
A gruesome waxy mystery as well.
Miriamgreen
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
excellent
interesting references to designers of the period Fortuny, Worth
characters were magnetic, loved aunt ottoline the best
she should get her own book
constance was a constant bummer
actually would have loved another 30 pp of plot development around the gaming club and more interaction between h/h
Dick Pilskog
I seldom read a book that is not set in modern times. This is one. Very good book. The book captured the time and held my attention easily. This was good to see the relationship between characters. It was spellbinding. The author lives in the Pacific Northwest and her real name is Jayne Krentz.
Jill
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books, series
#1 in series. I read another book in the series so it was good to read this one and learn how the series started. Takes place in England around mid 18th century???? Mrs. Lake needs to earn money, so starts trying to be hired to solve mysteries. Is Tobias March going to help or hinder her plans?
Maryam
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really good book. This book is where Lavinia and Toby first meet. The beginning was really unexpected and fun. They decide to be partners in an investigating(spy) business.
The story finishes with Tobias and Lavinia becoming good friends and more.
The next story of theirs features a different mystery and i really really want to read it.
Emma
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Slightly Shady was a solid historical mystery with a touch of romance. This was my second Amanda Quick book and she excels at writing characters with incredible sexual tension. I loved the dynamic between Tobias March and Lavinia Lake. The mystery started off a bit slow, hence the 3-star rating instead of 4, but the characters kept me interested in the story until the action picked up.
Vanessa
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.8. Yes yes yes. Romance and mystery. My two favorite genres always come together perfectly in Amanda Quick novels. I look foreword to reading the others in this series and much much more AQ in the future.
Rebecca
Probably a 3.5 but since I have loved most Amanda Quick books more than this (or at least got into the couples faster than this) I decided to round down rather than up. I'll definitely finish the series and I liked the ending more than the beginning.
Elizabeth
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
A good mystery and fun romance

The romance starts a little slowly but eventually develops into quite a sweet relationship. The mystery is complex enough not to be insulting and to keep some interest in the story. Well worth reading. 3.75 stars or 4 romance stars
Amy
So these two go from hating each other's guts to banging in a carriage.

The reader was given absolutely no indication that they felt anything even close to affection or desire.

I think I have whiplash.
Massanutten Regional Library
Linda, Elkton patron, July 2018, 4 stars:

Historical mystery and love story. I'm not into historical romances, but this once good. Didn't know the culprit till the end. That makes a good mystery.
Amanda
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great beach read. I don’t always enjoy this author’s works, but I loved this period mystery/romance. I love the enemies to lovers trope, as well as the range of topics encountered, such as wax works and antiquities.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Más libros para Latinoamérica!! 1 2 Apr 15, 2016 04:59PM
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Slightly Shady (2001) Book 1 1 3 Sep 27, 2012 11:39AM

• Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7; Dreamlight Trilogy, #1)
  • Midnight Crystal (Ghost Hunters, #7; Arcane Society #9; Dreamlight Trilogy #3)
  • Running Hot (Arcane Society, #5)
  • Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, #3)
  • Light in Shadow (Whispering Springs, #1)
  • White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)
  • Eclipse Bay (Eclipse Bay Trilogy, # 1)
  • Summer in Eclipse Bay (Eclipse Bay Trilogy, # 3)
  • In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10; Looking Glass Trilogy, #1)
  • Falling Awake
  • Deception Cove (Rainshadow, #2; Ghost Hunters, #10)
  • Truth or Dare (Whispering Springs, #2)
  • Dark Light (Ghost Hunters, #5)
  • Silver Master (Ghost Hunters, #4)
  • Canyons of Night (Rainshadow, #0; Ghost Hunters, #8; Looking Glass Trilogy, #3; Arcane Society, #12)
  • Obsidian Prey (Ghost Hunters, #6)
  • The Hot Zone (Rainshadow, #3; Ghost Hunters, #11)
  • Lost and Found
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the

Lake & March (3 books)
  • Don't Look Back (Lake/March, # 2)
  • Late for the Wedding (Lake/March, # 3)