Start by marking “Drawing on the Artist Within” as Want to Read:
Drawing on the Artist Within

Drawing on the Artist Within

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  6,085 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Whether you are a business manager, teacher, writer, technician, or student, you'll find Drawing on the Artist Within the most effective program ever created for tapping your creative powers. Profusely illustrated with hundreds of instructional drawings and the work of master artists, this book is written for people with no previous experience in art.

AH-HA! I SEE IT NOW!
E
Published October 9th 2008 by Simon Schuster (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Drawing on the Artist Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drawing on the Artist Within

Sarah Yang
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really helping me to practically implement creativity into everyday life and problem solving. I highly recommend this book along with The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron if you want to develop your creative abilities and the right side of your brain.
Becky
Mar 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have ever said or thought, "I can't draw for shit," or envied someone with that "natural artistic ability," READ THIS BOOK. Edwards breaks down the mythical assumption that creativity and artistic talent are gifts one must be born with. Her hands-on, psychological approach confronts, interestingly, the left/right split as the crux of the problem for those of us who buy into the cultural delusion that drawing, unlike math, science, reading, and writing, cannot be taught. The exercises and ...more
Barbara Carter
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book much more interesting than Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain
I love the insights to our innate ability of how to express emotions with lines. This wonderful inner knowing we possess.
I've used bits and pieces of this book in art classes I've taught.
And one of the paintings I did as a teen has an eerie similarity to a drawing in the book, only mine was upside down to the image in the book. I recognized the shape immediately and pulled out the old painting I'd saved from my e
Camille
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book and "Drawing On the Right Side Of the Brain" are highly recommended because of the benefits you'll get from the exercises. Every so called non-artist who is interested in doing art should get these books immediately.
Debby Stewart
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book that I read in part and then completed my first portrait sketches. They turned out beautifully as others have told me.
Yoby
Don't like this one as much as her other book , but is still pretty good. Out of the technical aspects of drawing and into more of the experimental aspects of art.
Ashok Banker
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps the best book on drawing for non-artists. It empowers you to draw regardless of talent, experience or lack of both. I'm not an artist and don't aspire to become one but as a creative person, I wanted to try my hand at art. This book was recommended by an American friend and it was amazing. Like a self-help course in art. I haven't seen the new edition but I'm told it's even better. Highly recommended.
Maria De La Fuente Caro
Decent, but slow.
Lbousson
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the first books I ever bought for my Kindle touch. I bought it after the paperback copy I lend to a friend never came back. Saddened by that, I thought I'd try it out on as an eBook. Honestly, it's just not the same thing, as far as usefulness on a screen. My old paperback copy had notes all over it, and some of the exercises I drew right on the page. It was that kind of a book....one where it felt OK to mark it up and make notes. For the eBook version, I don't recommend it. If I ...more
Hud-c
Dec 16, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I hope the library has a copy or the bookstore even.

I always wanted to tap that INNER TALENT (AHEM!!!) (as if!)

Kidding aside, I can draw but the creativity level hasn't been really develop or pursue when I was in my teens. Curse puberty when the boy next door or two seats away from you has been mostly the apple of a girl's eyes! (I wonder why he didn't give me any inspiration to sketch him.) 0_o

Now I know what to ask for Christmas. :D
M Seely
I enjoy this book a piece at a time. not one I just read through . just take parts and see how it effects me
Hisham Alamoudi
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It will simply make you beleive you can draw as good as you can read and write. The wisdom behind it is to beleive in yourself and disbeleive in Myth created by people.
Mike Porter
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, art
After doing art lessons for the past 8 years, I've been rereading this book and have acquired some new insights on learning to draw and paint. I appreciate this book even more!
Jason Das
Pretty sure there's nothing I liked here that isn't in "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain." Some really unpleasant, unprovable ideas posited here. I abandoned a bit over halfway through.
Apryl Anderson
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great exercises to help me understand what's going on inside.
Betty
Aug 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain". She goes into a little more depth, but sometimes I think she loses it.
EmilyAnn
Very helpful for my work as an Art Therapist.
Jojo Samaniego
Nov 26, 2013
Minh
rated it did not like it
Jan 29, 2016
Essie
Feb 24, 2016
Jen
Mar 25, 2012
  • Keys to Drawing with Imagination: Strategies and Exercises for Gaining Confidence and Enhancing Creativity
  • Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters: 100 Great Drawings Analyzed, Figure Drawing Fundamentals Defined
  • How to Draw What You See (Practical Art Books)
  • Color Choices: Making Color Sense Out of Color Theory
  • Sister Wendy's 1000 Masterpieces
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing: A Contemporary Master Reveals the Secrets of Drawing the Human Form
  • The Practice and Science of Drawing
  • Drawing Dynamic Hands
  • Classical Drawing Atelier: A Contemporary Guide to Traditional Studio Practice
  • Complete Guide to Watercolor Painting
  • Learning by Heart: Teachings To Free The Creative Spirit
  • Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil
  • The Sound of Paper
  • Drawing the Head and Hands
  • Why Art Cannot be Taught: A Handbook for Art Students
  • Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist (Galaxy Books)
  • The Human Figure in Motion
  • Artist to Artist: 23 Major Illustrators Talk to Children about Their Art

“Писатель Джулиан Дюгид описывает процедуру, предложенную ему человеком, с которым он познакомился на борту корабля: «— Вы хотите писать рассказы? — спросил он. — Нет ничего легче. Ваш инстинктивный разум помнит каждое событие, когда-либо происходившее с вами... Он сам создаст из ваших переживаний сюжет. Вам нужно лишь потереть лампу.
— А техника этого? — спросил я.
— Наш инстинктивный разум никогда не спит. Это только высшие уровни мозга отключаются, когда мы ложимся спать. Вы достаточно легко можете проверить это на себе.
— Звучит интересно. Что я должен сделать?
— Это действительно интересно. Перед тем как отключиться, просто сообщите своему подсознанию, чего вы хотите. Наутро рассказ будет готов... Кстати, — сказал он чуть погодя, — здесь нечего бояться... Раб лампы — ваш слуга... И было бы неплохо звать его по имени.
Я решил, что буду звать этого незнакомца, таящегося внутри меня, Помощником».
Дюгид
«Меня убедили», 1941”
1 likes
“Я думаю, что это возвышенное чувство наблюдения за Природой — одна из главных радостей, которую доставляют мне мои попытки живописи... Весь мир открывается со всеми его сокровищами. Простейшие объекты обладают своей красотой... Это не может наскучить... Боже милосердный! Как много того, чем можно восхищаться, и как мало времени нам дано на это!

Уинстон Черчилль "Живопись как времяпрепровождение", 1950”
0 likes