Start by marking “Law of the Broken Earth (Griffin Mage, #3)” as Want to Read:
Law of the Broken Earth (Griffin Mage, #3)

Law of the Broken Earth

(Griffin Mage #3)

In Feierabiand, in the wide green Delta, far from the burning heat of the griffin's desert, Mienthe's peaceful life has been shaken. Tan - clever, cynical, and an experienced spy - has brought a deadly secret out of the neighboring country of Linularinum.

Now, as three countries and two species rush toward destruction, Mienthe fears that even her powerful cousin Bertaud may
Published December 1st 2010 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Law of the Broken Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Law of the Broken Earth

Start your review of Law of the Broken Earth (Griffin Mage, #3)
Katherine Kendig
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First two books I read by this author (Black Dog and #1 in this series) put her as like a WR3 in fantasy football...a lot of potential but not solid production. These last two books have really raised her ceiling.
Brooke Banks
I read and LOVED Neumeier's Black Dog and am going through her earlier work.

I read these back to back and now it's all kind of blurred together. Only less than usual because this is so different than typical YA trilogies--in the best way. It follows different character POVs each book and there's quite a gap of time between them.

Can't lie, griffins have never really appealed to me before. I love these flying magic cats though!

Love the unique world building with the different magic. Not just the
Alexis
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed the premise of these books, as well as Neumeier's descriptive language. I thought the language did a great job of drawing in all of the reader's senses, particularly in her descriptions of the desert. You feel the heat, smell the hot metal; the light in your mind's eye is just a little harsher than in parts of the book where she's describing a forest.

I also enjoyed her take on the interplay with the elements.

I loved how these books wove together to make a whole, and you didn't really
L.R. Braden
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Neumeier's writing. Her details are always deep and descriptive, giving a visceral impression of the world. Her characters are unique and believable, each with their own set of issues that contribute to the main story. I also like that even though this book is the last in a trilogy it is not a problem that it has been some time since I read the other books. You could read this story entirely on its own, and while you may miss some of the subtle references that tie the series together, ...more
Tyler
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
1% plot
99% people standing around talking about that 1% of plot.

Just like the other two books of the series, Law of the Broken Earth is painfully slow paced, but the magic system is creative and the payout is pretty rewarding. The book is pretty short so it wasn't too bad getting to the end. Over all I am glad I read it but it wasn't anything worth screaming over.
Kate McDougall Sackler
I liked this third installment in an interesting series. Things got a wee bit rushed at the end, but it still worked out. I did enjoy that each book had its own strong female protagonist.
Celina
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably my favorite book of the trilogy, can definitely tell that the writer has grown a lot from the first novel.
Volpot
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars. Good story
Aelvana
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mienthe has enjoyed a relatively quiet life in the Delta, rescued by her cousin Bertaud after her father died. But life takes a most curious turn when Tan, a spy on the run, stops in her house. Far from being a place of safety, the house has become the focal point of trouble. His very presence is upsetting things. Much bigger things than he should. War looms on multiple fronts---can Mienthe or Tan or even Bertuad do anything to stop it?

In many ways, this ties more closely to Lord of the Changing
Terri
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, high-fantasy
The final book of the Griffin Mage trilogy wrapped up all the loose ends pretty nicely. Bertaud takes in his young cousin Mienthe, our main protagonist for Law of the Broken Earth. After book 2, Bertaud has moved back to the Delta and returned to his duty as the “Lord” of the Delta, a sort-of province that belongs/is loyal to Feierabiand and the Safiad. The Delta is bordered by Linularinum, the third major power in Neumeier’s world. A spy named Tan escapes to the Delta, barely escaping ...more
Lindsay Stares
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-on-kindle
Premise: Sequel to Lord of the Changing Winds, Land of the Burning Sands. Mienthe came to live with her cousin Bertaud after her parents died. She's a little shy and unsure of herself, but she finds herself drawn to the mysterious spy, Tan, who returns to Feierabiand with more than he intended. Agents from the neighboring kingdom are coming in search of Tan, but Bertaud has gone north to try to head off a looming war between humans and griffins. On Mienthe's actions may soon hang the fate of ...more
Yune
Nov 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I still love a lot of Neumeier's writing, world-building, and characters, but this one was far too self-conscious of its place as the final book in the trilogy.

I adored the first chapter, which covers Mienthe's childhood and made me very happy to see a familiar character from the previous books (Bertaud). It had a Robin McKinley feel to it. Then it cut over to a man in prison, trying to talk his way into an audience with the king, and my interest grew more cautious. I never fully warmed to Tan,
Anne Skelding
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bookworm
Jun 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, griffin
Eh. The series was very uneven. I thought overall there was a lot of potential, but characters disappear into the ether. Main characters from Book 1 appear here, but with little to no focus on them after the first book left me head scratching as to motives and character development. I suppose the reader is supposed to guess and go along with it, but I thought the story could have been better served overall if the book storylines were more spread out as a trilogy rather than introducing new main ...more
Michael Blackmore
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I was stuck mentally on the stars here between 3 and 4, but decided to go to 4 because I did enjoy the book and it did go a ways to explain the origins of the central conflict of the series.

This book is primarily from the perspective of yet more new characters and a new location from the previous two. But the characters from the previous two volumes appear throughout so it flowed a bit better.

On the downside, there are characters introduced in the first volume we now see as dramatically changed
Sineala
Oct 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, fiction, fantasy
For all that Griffin Mage is the name of the trilogy, I am not sure why this series needed griffins at all.

It's basically a tale of three countries, differentiated by their magic systems. Country #1, the subject of the first book, is a place where magic is used to command animals. Country #2, the subject of the second book, has magic used to physically built and/or enchant things, as well as enslave people. So naturally the third book is about Country #3 where magic is basically about
Shari  Mulluane
Jul 12, 2013 rated it liked it
This story, in addition to having characters I could get behind, was much more complex than the first two installments of this trilogy. In this book all of the countries, with their own brands of magic, are involved in a conflict. Linularinum has a hidden agenda that keeps you guessing right up until the end. The Griffins are still bent on world domination while Feierabiand is beset on two different fronts. Not even Casmantian is immune as it will be in serious danger if Feierabiand fails to ...more
Christine
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fantasy Readers
The third book in this trilogy was much like the first. It was a little bland, and personally I felt for most of the book that Mienthe and Tan's story was just unnecessary, and it remained that way for most of the book. It was a slight improvement compared to the first book, but it wasn't as good as the second.

Overall, the length of the book made it feel like it was dragging on, and really the main redeeming factor of the book is the last 70 or so pages, where it feels more exciting and
Cupcakencorset
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a terrific end to the Griffin Mage trilogy! Neumeier didn't use this 3rd volume to wrap up the first two... well, not entirely. Instead, she introduced new characters in a new part of her world and with new problems and abilities. This was my favorite book in the series, with characters I cared about and a depth of worldbuilding that let Neumeier truly resolve the seemingly intractable problems underlying her world in a believable, logical, yet unforeseen denouement. It is well worth the ...more
Charty
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it
A fairly satisfying conclusion to the trilogy and I enjoyed seeing all the previous books' characters some together in this one to solve the Griffin incursion. My only quibble is I felt that Kes' motivations and character were never satisfactorily explained, and that her actions sprang more from the need to move a plot point, than that it sprang out of her intrinsic nature and circumstance. Aside from that, this was an interesting world, populated with likable and complex characters, caught up ...more
Darshan Elena
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
As a rule, I don't purchase novels since I read too much and our bookshelves are already overstacked. However, when I realized my local library had the first two novels in the series but not its third and final one, I visited my favorite science fiction and fantasy bookshop and bought this book. Law of Broken Earth was a breeze and a delight, a strong conclusion to the series. After reading the novel, I gave it to my friendly librarian since I am sure there is another geek like me who cannot ...more
Ana
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely stunning. One of the best things I've come across.
Neumeier's writing is ethereal and floating. The first book of this trilogy was a bit weaker than the last two in my opinion, but she more than makes up for it in this last installment. The pacing worked really well -- there are so many different threads of story that seem to be utterly unrelated, until suddenly all is clear and a truly complex literary idea comes together.
Brava, Rachel Neumeier.
David Fournier
May 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Well I'm glad I was finally able to finish this series. I totally enjoyed it, and I glad one of the main characters from the first book (Kes) was not killed of.

But even though I enjoyed all the books, this last one ended with me feeling like something was missing from the overall story line. At present though I can't be sure what it is. Maybe one of you out there can figure it out and let me know.

Please read and enjoy this series as I have.
Heather
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I liked Mienthe just as much as I liked Gerient and Tehre, so the book was very enjoyable for me. My only issue was that sometimes the descriptions, although terribly well written and beautiful, sometimes lost my interest. I was often tempted to peek ahead to see how things were going to end up. So I guess I'm a bit impatient! Still, it was an enjoyable read, and I look forward to Ms. Neumeier's future books!
Pancha
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
I wish the concept of the bound natural law had been explored a little more. While I liked the characters, the story felt rushed towards the conclusion. Also, we meet two more people who have the most awesome powers ever, ones the mages have never encountered before. Makes you wonder what the mages had been doing before...
Deviant Divas
Mar 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I so loved how this one ended expect for my favorite griffin mage dying. I was happy with the finishing of this series no doubts or mystery conclusion.

Kes and her friends continuing their lives in harmony instead of against each other. I was so glad Kes changed her mind I was starting to hate how inhuman she became. Rachel Neumeier did a wonderful job with her series. I hated to see it end.
Jamie
Aug 11, 2016 rated it liked it
I love the world Neumeier created in this Griffin Mage series. What I felt lacking was detail. Detail of the nature of the magic. Detail of the characters. Detail of the creatures. Detail of the time frame, the chronology. Detail, detail, detail. I could have done with books that were twice the length they were for further development and clarity.
Jenny
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this trilogy and how it fit together in such an intelligent and organized way. It was well-written, and unexpected, and had very interesting pacing/mapping...quite different and interesting and well-worth my time.
Craig
Jan 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Well done conclusion to the series. The characters are perhaps not quite as fully developed as in the second, but the plot mostly hums along. I liked the unexpected conclusion to the whole mess a lot

Re-read, 3/19.
Meghan
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Poor jos! Seriously though the parallel with the tale set against the joking of the other two characters tan and mie about linu... Whatstheirnames and their epic romantic tragedies really was priceless.

• The Legend of Eli Monpress (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #1-3)
  • Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)
  • Tess of the Road (Tess of the Road, #1)
  • Minor Mage
  • Wolf's Search (Firekeeper Saga Book 7)
  • The Vanishing (Fogg Lake #1)
  • In the Labyrinth of Drakes (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #4)
  • Within the Sanctuary of Wings (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #5)
  • Have Yourself a Beary Little Murder (Shamelessly Adorable Teddy Bear Mystery, #3)
  • Accepting the Lance (Liaden Universe, #22)
  • Once a Spy (Rogues Redeemed, #4)
  • The Orphans of Raspay (Penric and Desdemona, #7)
  • The Merlin Conspiracy (Magids, #2)
  • Escapade
  • Digger: The Complete Omnibus
  • The Rancher Next Door
  • The Bells of Hell
  • Unexpectedly Mine (Birch Crossing #1)
Rachel Neumeier started writing fiction to relax when she was a graduate student and needed a hobby unrelated to her research. Prior to selling her first fantasy novel, she had published only a few articles in venues such as The American Journal of Botany. However, finding that her interests did not lie in research, Rachel left academia and began to let her hobbies take over her life instead.

She

Griffin Mage (3 books)
  • Lord of the Changing Winds (Griffin Mage, #1)
  • Land of the Burning Sands (Griffin Mage, #2)
“The great house was not what she had expected, though she had not realized she expected anything until she found herself surprised.” 0 likes