Start by marking “Jimmy the Hand (Legends of the Riftwar, #3)” as Want to Read:
Jimmy the Hand (Legends of the Riftwar, #3)

Jimmy the Hand (Legends of the Riftwar #3)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  5,430 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Paperback
Published 2003 by Voyager

Tincangoat
Jimmy the Hand is the third Rift war collaboration book (outside the Janny Wurts Empire series) that Feist wrote with different authors. This time the author is S. M. Sterling. Sterling is the author of Dies the Fire, the only other book I’ve read penned by him.

Overall, Jimmy the Hand is an OK read. I wouldn’t recommend it to friends, but I wouldn’t slap it out of their hands if they picked it up to read it either.

I thought the book would revolve chiefly around the exploits of Jimmy the Hand and
Splash Of Our Worlds *Yiota*
Raymond Feist is my favorite fantasy writer and his character Jimmy The Hand is one of my TOP 5 characters not only in his books, but like ever. So a book just for him is like paradise for me.

I think that everyone who reads Feist and read this book, can see the difference in the writing style and the way the story is presented because of Sterling. The book gives you an entirely different view on Jimmy's character and it's really different than the rest books by Feist. Instead of a huge wild war,
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
The best of the Legends of the Riftwar books, it tells the story of what happens to Jimmy the Hand after he helps rescue Prince Arutha and Princess Anita toward the tale end of Magician Apprentice. It's a reasonable solid story, helped out by the fact that Jimmy is a personal favorite character, although some of the writing/editing is a bit sloppy. For example, in the first chapter Jimmy is described as "He was a boy of unknown age - perhaps fourteen, perhaps sixteen, no one knew..." A page or s ...more
Sharon Michael
Well written, fast-paced and individual characters. I am not a big Feist fan but after some time away I've read a couple of his recently that I liked and Sterling has been one of my favorite authors for some time. The 'bad guys' are somewhat generic but not bad and the main characters are well done. It is a Riftworld book but can certainly be read as a standalone, though I'd have much preferred more of an ending rather than the 'riding off into new adventures' ending which it has.

Not sure I'd go
Annika
May 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars really.

I love Jimmy The Hand. He's one of my favourite characters of the entire series. Therefore, I was very excited to read this book. Whilst it is entertaining, it just lacked...something...for me. I think there was way too much time spent on other characters and plot twists that didn't involve Jimmy.

---Update----

Interestingly, got to meet Raymond E. Feist last night when he came to town on his book tour. He mentioned that he felt this book was a bit unfinished and that he could ha
Chayong
Mar 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this 4 stars primarily because I love Jimmy the Hand and find him to be one of the most endearing characters of the Riftwar, rivaling Prince Arutha. So anyone who would like to read more about him, even if it was as a footnote, like I do, it is no surprise that I really liked the book.

In terms of writing style, I find the prose too short after having gotten used to reading sagas running through several books. Nevertheless, given the restraints, the effort to create a plot that will not ma
Eric
May 16, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Feist's Riftwar series
Recommended to Eric by: Kevin Shult
Shelves: fantasy
A passable fantasy novel, geared to Raymond Feist fans who will appreciate the origin story of Jimmy the Hand -- a character who appears in other Riftwar books.

Note that Raymond Feist did not actually write this book. In the afterword he admits to only penning the rough outline of the story and giving it to S.M. Stirling to actually write. I only mention this because Stirling, unfortunately, is not as engaging a writer as Feist.
Belinda Lewis
Dec 09, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly this complete butchering of pretty much my favourite character in the whole mythos was the beginning of the end for me.
Eric Parker
This book ended well. I really enjoyed the last chapter or two, but before that it was terribly uninteresting and unimaginative. Jimmy didn't even really feature in the book as much as I thought he would. It was ok, but nothing special and certainly not a great read for fans of Jimmy.
Loretta Love
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great little adventure for Jimmy. You need to start reading this from the moment that Arutha gives Jimmy his sword on the docks at Krondor as Arutha is making his escape.
John Sheahan
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feist's rationale for allowing another writer to write this story is interesting - the fellow author has not the baggage of writing Jimmy's story in books to come. It works well.
Zoe
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another good one
Nina Schmitt

The third novel of Feist's successful collaborative series. From the endlessly inventive mind of one of fantasy's all time greats, comes a spellbinding new adventure of high magic, treachery and bloody war. This time in conjunction with master of alternative US history, Steve Stirling, Feist returns to tell the full tale of one of his fans' favourite most colourful Riftwar characters, pickpocket, montebank and confidence trickster Jimmy the Hand. Jimmy the Hand, boy thief of Krondor, lived in th

Susie
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, owned
I so desperately want to give this a 5, as I loved it that much, but there are a couple of minor niggles that make it hard to do so. But, I will explain those later.

First of all, it appears that I am biased, or perhaps unbiased, in the fact that I haven't read the main series yet - my introduction to Feist has been through the Legends series, so I don't have the familiarity with characters like Jimmy the Hand, who others have seen later on in his life in other books.

But, for me, it wasn't a bad
Stuart Aken
• Jimmy The Hand (A Riftwar Legend) by Raymond E. Feist & Steve Sterling, Voyager, Harper Collins.
368 pps, 18 Chaps & Epilogue, 110,000 words.
Story based on one of the minor characters from the Riftwar series set on another world and another time, as opposed to Earth. Jimmy is a thief by profession due to being an orphan in a city without welfare care. He performs an act of heroism which makes him the target of the boss of the criminal fraternity and results in him being exiled on threat
Jeff Cothern
EDITORIAL REVIEW:

Jimmy
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This story takes place right after Jimmy waves good-bye to Prince Arutha and Princess Anita, helping them to escape from Krondor. Del Garza is so furious and embarrassed by this, that he has all the unlicensed whores and beggars locked up to be executed. Flora being one of those, Jimmy devised a plan to rescue them from the dungeon, with the help of Alban Asher’s magic. By doing this, Jimmy disobeys a direct order from the Upright Man, and is told to leave Krondor and to never return, or he will ...more
Jimmy
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, fantasy
Scott
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I skipped this book when it was first released because I'm not a big fan of co-authors but when I realized that I have read 22 of Feist's book and I was only missing a few I decided to go back and read the ones that I missed over the years.

This is a stand alone fantasy novel with Jimmy the Hand as our hero and the novel takes place right after Jimmy helps Arutha save Anita from Guy du Bas Tyra. It's a fantastic story with the usual amazing characters that Feist writes. Not a five star rating bec
Nicholas Burress
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was the best in the Legends of the Riftwar series...but I am a little biased since Jimmy is one of my favorite characters. However, this one felt like I was reading an adventure instead of a long and drawn-out story of other characters I honestly did not care for in the predecessors.

The chemistry between Fiora and Jimmy was interesting to read, but I still wish she was mentioned in the previous books that take place after these events. It seems like it is just an internal story even t
Tammykirk
I'm not enjoying this as much as I thought I would. Jimmy is one of my favourite characters from the Riftwar Saga. This book, so far, though, doesn't have as much humour to it as I would expect of a story with Jimmy as the central charachter. It's also taking quite sometime for any sort of plot to take off. I don't know exactly where I am in the book because I was reading it on the Kindle, but I think I'm at least a third of the way through it and the central adventure of the book looks like it ...more
Lindsey
I adore Jimmy the Hand as a character, he's probably one of my favourite characters across the whole fantasy board. Which is why it was so disappointing to find that a book completely devoted to him didn't... Really do much for me.

Don't get me wrong, the writing is a good as any Feist book and when I get underway I enjoy the book every time I read it. But the plot is a bit convoluted and the characterisation just falls a bit flat? And every time I pick up one of the other books he's in, I'm str
Rich
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have always thoroughly enjoyed Mr. Feist's work, but this seemed to be a very poor effort. Considering the power and complexity of the chracter 'Jimmy the Hand' and his important role in all of the Kondor books until the character's death, I was hoping for a little more. Maybe it was teaming with S.M. Stirling that didn't quite work, I don't know. (sigh) The first two books of the "Legends of the Riftwar" series, I highly recommend. I cannot do the same for this one.
Lee Nevo
Nov 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was an enjoyable read. With no tie in to the rest of the series, is certainly optional, and its always good to see a bit more of this great character. Would have been nice to see a little more connectivity with some of the other characters, Bram, Jarvis, Lorrie or Flora. Even reading it after everything else would have just added so much more to the series. Thats one of the things Feist is usually very good at and aside from Jimmy, it added no dimension to anyone else in the world of Midkemia
C.S. Woolley
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-read, adventure
A great story that picks up where Jimmy was left during the events of Magician. This story is so easy to read and enjoy as it not only gives you more of how Jimmy's life was changed by Arutha and Anita after their first meeting. Taking place during the Riftwars this story has almost nothing to do with the Tsurani and the war itself but instead shows how life in the Kingdom continued. Another brilliant book from a great author.
Phil Jones
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jimmy the hand is perhaps my favourite character in Midkema so a book about him was more than welcome.

This did not let me down and the story about a young Jimmy was engaging from start to finish. All the elements of Jimmy we grew to love are present in this tale. Sure he is s thief but he has a big heart and is loyal to those he cares about.

Of the three books written with other authors this was just about the best.
Jesse
A little too predictable, and lacking a sense of real danger or threat to the main character due to this book being a prequel, this book was my least favorite of the trilogy.

I'd recommend it to someone reading the entire series for the first time, and doing so chronologically. I'd hesitate to do so to someone that's read any of the books that come after this one.
Lbd
Sep 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Legends of the Riftwar is not a trilogy. It's three books that are co-authored by three different sci-fi authors with Feist. A fresh voice in each book, looking at events and characters that we may have overlooked. I really enjoyed Jimmy the Hand, in his early years. Some nice retro action as to how he became the man he did and still kept the character interesting.
Jsrott
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was back to the style and level of storytelling I have become accustomed to when reading Midkemia novels. After the disappointing last book, this one returns to an interesting character at an interesting point in his history. While it still read as a D&D adventure, it was one that at least was interesting to read. Good fun.
Tim Franklin
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Far and away the best of the "Legends" collaborations, I think because of building on an established character. Slightly confusing, in that the back-cover blurb claims the action is going to take place in Sarth, but the content never goes near there, being set instead in Land's End. Also a nod to Pratchett slips through in a brief mention of Foul Ol'[e] Ron and his smell.
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master: The Great One
  • Voyage of the Shadowmoon
  • Natural Ordermage (The Saga of Recluce, #14)
  • Stormed Fortress (Wars of Light and Shadow, #8; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #5)
  • The Swords of Night and Day (The Drenai Saga, #11)
  • The Shadow Isle (Silver Wyrm, #3) (The Dragon Mage, #6)
  • The Sapphire Rose (The Elenium, #3)
  • Silverthorn by Raymond E. Feist Summary & Study Guide
  • Legends II
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in 1 ...more
More about Raymond E. Feist...

Legends of the Riftwar (3 books)
  • Honored Enemy (Legends of the Riftwar, #1)
  • Murder In LaMut (Legends of the Riftwar, #2)
“Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan.” 8 likes