Start by marking “Darkest Powers Trilogy (Darkest Powers, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Darkest Powers Trilogy (Darkest Powers, #1-3)

Darkest Powers Trilogy

(Darkest Powers #1-3)

The Summoning
The Darkest Powers Series, Book I

After years of frequent moves following her mother’s death, Chloe Saunders’s life is finally settling down. She is attending art school, pursuing her dreams of becoming a director, making friends, meeting boys. Her biggest concern is that she’s not developing as fast as her friends are. But when puberty does hit, it brings more
Published November 2nd 2010 by Doubleday Canada (first published May 4th 2009)

Blake
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

THE SUMMONING ~ 3 Stars:

Kelley Armstrong is #1 on my list of favourite authors thanks to her phenomenal WOMEN OF THE OTHERWORLD series, so I thought it was high time that I gave her Young Adult trilogy a chance. Like most first installments, this audiobook has its share of flaws, but still managed to do a decent job of introducing the characters, and the DARKEST POWERS universe. The paranormal elements were subtle in the earlier chapters which was kind of disappointing,
Julia (ten_thousand_books)
"Fight," I whispered, and it was all I needed to say.

5/5 stars. <3
Taylor
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I can't say enough great things about this book! I just re-read them and loved them all the same! It's impossible to pick a favorite out of the three though. Each book has qualities that makes you adore the series as a whole. I think even though it touches on the cliche paranormal/supernatural/group of teens with powers category that a lot of y-a does I think it's extremely original! The writing is written pretty flawlessly (kudos to Kelly Armstrong) The characters are very developed and clear f ...more
NatashaSonya
Jun 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This series is set in the same world as Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series, however that doesn't become extremely apparent until around the second and third books. I read the first book and really wondered if it would be any good. However, the fact that I sat around in bed and read the whole book non-stop until I was finished says quite a lot. This series is nothing like I've ever seen. Chloe is a 15-year-old girl who just wants a normal life, though everything out of the ordinary ...more
Charlotte
Oct 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: paranormal lovers, sci-fi lovers, conspiracy lovers, teens
Spoiler alert:
Ah, Chloe, Chloe, Chloe. I wanted to like you, I did. You were certainly a lot more likeable than the stereotypical Ever Bloom, more aware of your own body than Bella Swan, and nicer and certainly SMARTER than Nora Grey. Another good factor: you weren't sixteen or seventeen, like them, and--shudder--Luce Price, who I hate to mention comparitavely in ANY review. You were younger, but still depicted as smart and self-aware. I liked that about you.
But I didn't like some things, as sad
Ashley
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, best-of-the-best
I have so much love for this trilogy.
Kelley Armstrong's spin on modern day necromancers grabs the attention and sympathy of the reader immediately. Chloe Saunders has just hit puberty and her powers are starting to flair up. She is haunted by dreams and ghostly specters that no one else can see. After being placed in a home for psychologically disturbed teens, she uncovers a conspiracy that threatens her life and the lives of those around her.
This has to be one of the best series that Kelley A
Kalyn Woodbury
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, canadian, favorites
This was my favourite trilogy when I was 11 or 12 years old, and reading it again (for the third time) made me so nostalgic. I was worried that it wouldn't be as good as I remembered, but it absolutely was. The pacing is perfect and keeps things interesting, the writing is enjoyable to read, the characters are memorable.. how could I not love it? Plus, the author, Kelley Armstrong, was born in my small Northern Ontario hometown, so I'm an extra big fan.

I really do think that the Darkest Powers T
Juliann Whicker
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This world and series was so really high quality YA that after I read it I immediately bought her first novel in her adult series. Bitten or something. It was really really really awful. It's hard to believe that one writer could make two such entirely different impressions, but there you go. I loved this. Clean, plot driven, good character development, appropriate and believable romance, enough action, and a different fresh world without being weird. The main character was interesting and a tee ...more
Alba BookPics
Nov 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
loved the series...
and the developing of the story...is not always what you want...
but the story of Chloe...takes people to a whole new level of fantasy...and in the end...maybe love¿?...haha..
just saying!!but loved the books!!!
Blythe
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved this series, very cool. Reminded me of the tv series "Heroes", which I loved except in these books the characters are younger, I love Derek though.
Mel Avon
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had read this series during my week camping and adored it. I feel her characters were truly captivating. Her descriptions and details were on cue!
Great story ! Fantastic work!

Melanie
Jamie Lee
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I plunged in and read the three novels at once as the library I was working at had the three in one book. I loved this trilogy! I found it extremely interesting to have a character within the super natural relm who isn't the typical vampire, witch, or werewolf. Though their in here too which I love even more!
Stephanie
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
15-year-old Chloe is frightened and confused by the visions that have been plaguing her. She sees people and things that aren’t there, people and things that terrify her but that nobody else can see. Quickly labeled as mentally ill and shipped off to a live-in youth centre, Chloe is determined to prove that she doesn’t belong there. As she learns more about the centre and the other young teens who live there, she starts to understand that there is something far more dangerous and sinister going ...more
Amy
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
Since this is three books, it was hard for me to give it an accurate rating. So i tried to average it out as good as I possibly could based on my opinions of each book. I also rated it based on my opinion of the entire series.

The First book (The Summoning) got of to a quick start and pulled me into a mysterious world that I needed to know more about. I was very much into the characters, and I felt like the story really flowed nicely. I gave it 4 stars (really liked it).

The second book (The Awak
Taylor
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing!! Its one of those books you cannot set down until you finish it and since there is two other book, which only makes you want to go out to a book store and buy both right after you finish it. Other people that have read this have compared it to Twilight and it is so not like Twilight. The whole series is about a group of kids who are "different". Chole who is the main character has an episode at her school. She sees a man, that no one else sees. She runs down a hallway and ...more
Samantha Muellner
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Laura Merchant
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a super quick read -- I made it through all three books in about four days. I have been reading so much drawn out fiction this year where very little happens over the span of a lot of pages that whenever I return to YA books I feel like the action is nonstop. I liked the characters and the interplay among them and thought having the female protagonist be a necromancer was a nice twist (a really disgusting superpower it turns out). I only wish the denouement was a little longer -- it end ...more
Manda
Mar 09, 2011 rated it liked it
If you are in the mood for a young adult supernatural thriller, this is great. I like young adult books of this genre because they usually don't have bad language and sex. I really enjoyed these books. I've read a few of the author's adult supernatural books and there were so many pages I had to skip over, because of things I didn't want to read, even though I like her writing style a lot, so I was excited when I saw that she wrote a young adult series. I hope she does more! I wanted to give it ...more
Lauren
I enjoyed this book. It was a nice light read, even if it was 800+ pages. I do feel like there definitely could be more in the series and maybe there already are but I'm not left with a ton of unanswered questions.

Chloe Saunders gets is a 15 year old girl in the midst of puberty (she just got her first period) and that's when things start happening to her. The next thing she knows she's in a group home with other troubled teens.
Kereesa
To check out what I thought for each of the individual books, please see my reviews on the specific ones. To sum up briefly what I thought of the series: It was wonderful. Fast-paced, suspenseful and filled with believable characters. I loved every minute of it and read it all way too fast. It was too good! Armstrong's style certainly keeps me entertained and I'm looking forward to reading more of her stuff. 5/5
TomyAllen
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was one of thoes series I had to read to entertain myself between publishing of other series. But after the first book was done I went straight to the second and then the third. This was a very different prospective on the world of supernatural than what I am used to but I really enjoyed the different view.
Micheal
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I took the book out this summer from the local library, so than after a while I keep reading and bring the book with me to work and at home. One of my favorite books. Defiantly gonna re read it again.
Wendy
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Kelley Armstrong continues to amaze me! I loved her adult paranormal series and was a little concerned that these books would be too juvenile...instead, I got to meet new characters, in a new way, but in a world I already love! :)
Can't wait to follow this series through!
Tiffany
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Started off good, but got better as you read more. You wouldn't be able to stop reading once you have started. Also, you wouldn't have a clue what was going to happen next. Has an amazing ending, but wish she wrote more.
Louisa
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reads
So good, loved having all 3 books together, and just keep reading, though reading the short stories between them! Loved, loved, loved!

*First read January 1st 2011*
Yeah for having 3 books in one!!!
Sabrina
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT
Crystal Cook
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I forgot how much I love this series. Especially Derek. Reading the series over again back to back made me appreciate what a great character he is. I love seeing him soften up a bit by the end.
Nicole
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any teenager
Recommended to Nicole by: family friend
I really liked this book series. :D
Sylvie
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: darkest-powers
I loved this trilogy. There's action, horror and romance and it kept me guessing until the end. A very easy read and I found myself unable to put it down.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Dutch YA group: verslaafd (: 1 36 Feb 14, 2016 06:37AM
Between Words: This topic has been closed to new comments. ((MOD)) Abby: Paranormal/horror- The Darkest Powers Trilogy 17 11 Mar 16, 2015 11:42AM
Should there be a 4th book? 19 56 Jul 23, 2014 04:50PM
Chloe's Necklace?? 1 10 Oct 15, 2013 08:37AM
any similar books? 15 46 Jun 02, 2013 05:50AM
Book Lovers UnInt...: The Summoning (Darkest Powers Trilogy) 14 16 Aug 30, 2011 11:09AM

• Blue Bloods 3-Book Boxed Set (Blue Bloods, #1-3)
  • The Morganville Vampires, Volume 3 (The Morganville Vampires, #5-6)
  • Sweep: Volume 2  (Sweep, #4-6)
  • Night World: The Ultimate Fan Guide
  • Maximum Ride Five-Book Set
  • Dark Visions (Dark Visions, #1-3)
  • The Den of Shadows Quartet
  • Voice of the Undead (Alex Van Helsing #2)
  • Shiver Trilogy Boxset (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1-3)
  • Soul Screamers Volume One (Soul Screamers, #0.5, 1, 2)
  • Vampire Academy Collection (Vampire Academy, #1-3)
  • Bad Blood (Blood Coven Vampire, #4)
  • Resurrection (Wicked, #5)
  • Marked / Betrayed / Chosen / Untamed (House of Night, #1-4)
  • Catspaw (Blackheart #1)
  • The Immortals Boxed Set (The Immortals, #1-3)
  • Ascendance Trilogy: The False Prince, The Runaway King, The Shadow Throne
  • Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions

Darkest Powers (3 books)
  • The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1)
  • The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2)
  • The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3)