Start by marking “The Outfit (Parker, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Outfit (Parker, #3)

The Outfit

(Parker #3)

Richard Stark's arch-criminal Parker returns in a classic novel of revenge. With The Outfit trying to kill him, Parker declares war. But with the entire underworld understanding that whatever he does--he does for keeps.
Published July 1st 1984 by Avon Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about The Outfit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Outfit

Start your review of The Outfit (Parker, #3)
Stephen
Drip…Drip…Drip
Drip…Drip...Drip

…that is the sound of icy cold, 80 proof, liquid badasseliciousness seeping from every pore of Richard Stark’s mantastic anti-hero, Parker. Over the past several seasons, thanks in large part to Kemper and Dan), I have become a big fan of crime fiction. During my reading excursions, I have come across some very engaging characters with high quotients of rough and tumble nastiness.

Parker is in a mold-breaking class by himself.

He’s unlike anyone else I've stumbled
Lo9man88
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You'll need to read the previous two books in order to fully enjoy this one ...
Parker is one of a kind character, he isn't exactly evil and he's not good too , he steels for a living, very professionally, he's very smart and he has a sharp and strategic mind that allows him to plan his heists efficiently , he doesn't waste words or brags , anything he does has a reason behind it, he is like a machine, he doesn't get involved emotionally except when he does , i think the expression " don't poke t
Dan Schwent
After a hit man tries to kill Parker while he's in bed with a ladyfriend, Parker decides it's time to settle his score with The Outfit once and for all. While his various criminal acquaintances begin hitting Outfit-owned targets, Parker makes plans to take out the head of the Outfit. But will even taking out the top guy get the Outfit off his back?

As usual, Stark delivers the goods in fast-paced, stripped down style. Parker and Handy do what they do best. The plotting and action, as always, were
Richard
I love that I've discovered the Parker series. I'd been searching for a good series of popcorn books that I can read quickly without a whole lot of brainpower when I'm in that mood, or when I'm working and have little time to read. The Parker books have filled that void for me. They're quick, in-and-out little adventures that I can pop like mean little gummi bears whenever I want!

This episode seems to concludes the beef between master criminal Parker and the organized crime syndicate, the Outfit
David Schaafsma
The third in Stark’s Parker series (and you really should read the first three in order, at least—this is the culmination of a story. When The Outfit tries to kill Parker, in bed with a woman, he decides he needs to “settle things,” which for you and me might mean having a heart-to-heart talk with someone. Parker is a loner, but he writes letters to fifty people he knows around the country, such as this one:

Frank,

The Outfit thinks it has a grievance on me. It doesn’t. But it keeps sending its pu
Mara
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads, series
When The Outfit sets its sights on Parker it doesn't count on the fact that men like Parker, the "independent contractors" of the underworld are, in their own way, legion. The powers that be as well as the cogs and drones who comprise the myriad operations under the purview of The Outfit are soft targets, heretofore left alone out of a sort of professional courtesy. But, guess what kids? The gloves are coming off of Parker's freakishly powerful mitts.

The fact that Parker's first task is to laun
Kemper
When Parker and the Outfit had a dispute in the first book of the series, Parker warned them what he’d do if they didn’t leave him alone. But after surviving an attempt on his life, it’s time for Parker to make good on his threat.

As Parker told the bosses of the Outfit, all the professional thieves know each other, and all of them have worked out some kind of scenario for robbing one of their operations because they’re cash-rich and won’t bring any legal attention. Potential revenge by the Outfi
brian
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
in the hunter, parker warned the Outfit that if he were to instruct all his contacts to hit Outfit run businesses across the nation, they could put some serious hurting on the organization. it never comes to that. in this book it does. and it's glorious. not only do we track parker's moves against high-ranking members of the Outfit, but individual chapters are devoted to heists and jobs by various transient criminals directed at the Outfit. good stuff.

i've always loved stories which feature an
Greg
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
I feel like an asshole giving this book five stars while only giving four stars to a much superior book like The Melancholy of Resistance. And then to rub in my shame goodreads goes and makes a new section on our profile pages where our favorite books are shown, and this is one of them, sitting right there in between Gravity's Rainbow and Infinite Jest. Horrors!

I hate the new favorites area on the profiles. Wasn't it enough to have a section in your profile you could list favorite books if you w
F.R.
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading the first three Parker novels one after the other, it’s fascinating to observe what different beasts they are. The first is a terse, tense revenge thriller; the next is a book creating the true Parker formula, where our uber-professional thief gets a job and works on it, taking out every irritation as it comes; whilst the third is an odd combination of the two. In a way the ‘job is planned and carried out’ formula is here: the job being to get to Bronson – the head of the outfit, who we ...more
Jim
Nov 2019 Review: Great story, even on a reread & after watching movies that are based on it. Short, to the point, & quite believable. The only grand guild of thieves is at the mercy of the small fry. There were some great characters, too. The audio books are well narrated & short, so I've just got to read another. On to The Mourner!

Dec 2012 Review: My edition was a download from the library produced by Audio Go, read by John Chancer. It's about 300 minutes long & fantastic, again. Occasionally t
Mike (the Paladin)
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, thriller
This was a sort of relief to me. I mean this is far from great literature and it's a little disturbing that I like this/these books. Parker is a pretty cold duck (though he seems to be mellowing or something). It's an action read and a straight up thriller. Don't look for the philosophical take Parker has on life. Mostly he's good if he steals enough to live well.

Of course the fact that the Outfit has a problem with Parker and wants him dead is putting a cramp in his plans...so he has to kill th
Kiekiat
This was the first novel I've read by Richard Stark and it was, I think, an early novel Donald Westlake wrote using the nom de plume "Richard Stark." There are 24 books in this series. I will admit upon my initial reading I felt a little disappointed in the quality of the writing. Later, the writing and the story got much better and I suspected that Westlake had taken a while to find his voice as Richard Stark. Just as we change our personas when we speak a foreign language, perhaps some writers ...more
Michael Finocchiaro
A friend suggested a book to me called The Outfit back in January which I went out and purchased. Well, actually, I bought the wrong one by Richard Stark which is a fictional novel as opposed to the one my friend meant which was by Gus Russo and is a non-fictional history of the Mob. I will go and grab the Russo book, but in the meantime, the Stark one was pretty fun. Apparently, Stark passed away in 2008 after writing about 24 books featuring the main character Parker. He is sort of like a Rayl ...more
Skip
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
When Parker and the Outfit had a dispute in the first book of the series, Parker warned them what price they would pay if they did not leave him alone. Book #3 opens with someone trying to kill him in bed with his current fling, and Parker had had enough, wresting the names of the people who arranged the hit. He writes or visits many of the people he has worked robberies with, and encourages them to rob the underprotected businesses of the Outfit to make them pay. He also decides to remove the k ...more
Diane
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir-crime, 5-stars
I've lost count of how many times I've listened to this and other Parker books. He's always with me. It's been MONTHS, and I'm still obsessed.
Jason Pettus
The best compliment I can give the "Parker" novels by Donald E. Westlake is to admit that they've completely hijacked my usual schedule of reading and reviewing contemporary novels for the CCLaP website; originally planned to be a fun airplane diversion when I flew from Chicago to New Orleans and back about three weeks ago, I ended up reading the first book in the series, 1962's The Hunter, from start to finish in just half a day, and have since been greedily devouring the rest at a rate of a bo ...more
Mark
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Noir crime novels
Recommended to Mark by: ed Lynsky
The closing episode of Parkers' Clash with the outfit that started in The Hunter.

The story starts with an attempt on Parkers' life while enjoying a physical tryst with a lady. When Parker obviously survives he wants answers and he gets them. Parker realizes that the Outfit will keep targeting him unless he takes steps to make it financial unappealing to keep tracking him down while at the same time taking out the responsible person.
This book is about Parkers' campaign against the Outfit in whic
Randy
Aug 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Parker had gotten a face lift to disguise himself from the Outfit. Word was out now, though they didn't know what he looked like. When someone fingers him and a hit man is sent, he decides it's tme to do something about it.

He heads north from Florida, visiting people along the way he'd worked with in the past. He also wrote letters to others to far off the route. He asked all if they had plans to hit outfit(they all idly thought about such jobs). As a professional courtesy, they left such hits a
Steve
The weakest in the series that I've read so far. But that's not to say it isn't worth a look. On the down side, The Outfit is simply unbelievable, with its notion that Parker only has to sit down and write some letters to his fellow professional robbers to take down a nationwide criminal organization. Westlake (Stark) is trying to say something about corporate America -- and corporate criminals, than runs along the lines of Who can tell the difference anymore? (That was probably a cliche even in ...more
Greg McClay
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the entire Parker run a number of years ago and other than Darwyn Cooke's graphic novels hadn't touched them since. I got in a mood and got this to maybe see if I wanted to go through them again. Still not sure. Its good tough but mean. Not cruel or vicious or bloody or anything like that. Just cold and mean. Which is what makes Parker Parker. He's not an anti-hero, he's a criminal you're just too caught up in the nature of it all to care.

It probably wasn't a five star book this time arou
C.W.
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-audiobook
3.5 - Good entry into this series! Parker is such a great character to read about. And by great, I mean ridiculous. He's crazy. And will do literally anything he has to. I'm happy to root for him, though, and happy with how the story went in this one.
Jamie
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This third installment in the Parker series is a direct sequel to the first, The Hunter. After a botched assassination attempt by the organized crime syndicate known as the "Outfit", Parker decides to take matters into his own hands, making good on his previous threat to even the score if they should ever come after him. With the help of his loose network of independent professional criminals countrywide, Parker ruthlessly and methodically exacts his revenge. ...more
Mike
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stark's Parker enlists the aid of other undesirables to even the score with the crime syndicate The Outfit.
Jane Stewart
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Outfit (mafia) sends a hitman to kill Parker. Parker makes the Outfit sorry it ever tangled with him.

I’m enjoying these stories and find myself wanting to read one right after the other. Like potato chips, you can’t eat just one. These are about bad guys. They rob. They kill. They don’t go to jail. They’re smart. It’s fun to be in this world for a change. A few times I’m delighted or surprised with something. I liked the plot in this one.

The narrator John Chancer was ok.

This is book 3 in the
Charles
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Third in the Parker series. Parker went to all the trouble to get a new face that was revealed in book 2, but finds by the end of that book that his new appearance has been revealed anyway and the "Outfit," (Organized Crime) is out to kill him. Parker strikes back as only he can do. Good one!
Erik
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir, crime-fiction
“When the woman screamed, Parker awoke and rolled off the bed.”
Ilana
Noah Goats
I enjoyed The Outfit, but its plot was overly simplistic and a bit boring. Everything seemed to come a little too easily to Parker. You’d think there would be some speed bumps on the way to taking down the boss of a huge crime syndicate, but (spoiler alert) there are not. The protagonist should struggle a bit so that the final victory is sweet. There is precious little struggle here, and therefore precious little suspense or drama.

And I feel like Parker leaves a heck of a lot of evidence of his
Vaelin
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rounds out the unofficial trilogy quite nicely.

Keen to see what comes next.

• The Hot Rock (Dortmunder, #1)
  • Bank Shot (Dortmunder, #2)
  • Richard Stark's Parker: The Hunter
  • Jimmy The Kid (Dortmunder, #3)
  • Richard Stark’s Parker: The Outfit
  • Somebody Owes Me Money
  • 361
  • God Save the Mark
  • Nobody's Perfect (Dortmunder, #4)
  • Richard Stark's Parker: Slayground
  • The Hook
  • Shoot the Piano Player
  • Richard Stark’s Parker: The Score
  • The Ax
  • Pop. 1280
  • Money Shot (Angel Dare #1)
  • The Brass Cupcake
  • The Cutie
A pseudonym used by Donald E. Westlake. ...more

Parker (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Hunter (Parker, #1)
  • The Man With The Getaway Face (Parker, #2)
  • The Mourner (Parker, #4)
  • The Score (Parker, #5)
  • The Jugger (Parker, #6)
  • The Seventh (Parker, #7)
  • The Handle (Parker, #8)
  • The Rare Coin Score (Parker, #9)
  • The Green Eagle Score (Parker, #10)
  • The Black Ice Score (Parker, #11)