Start by marking “Bob and Otto” as Want to Read:
Bob and Otto

Bob and Otto

Bob and Otto do best-friend kinds of things together--eating leaves, digging, playing--until the day Bob decides to climb a tree, simply because . . . he has to. When the two meet again, Otto is still the same dirt-loving earthworm, but Bob has done the unthinkable: grown wings. Friendship overcomes all else in this sweet and funny story, because no matter what happens, ". ...more
Published April 3rd 2007 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Bob and Otto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bob and Otto

Start your review of Bob and Otto
Jeremy
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-lit
Before I complain about this book, I feel the need to give a brief plot summary:

"Bob and Otto" is a story about the friendship between a worm and a caterpillar. Bob and Otto do everything together, until one day Bob decides he's too good for worm stuff, and climbs up a tree to become a butterfly. While Bob sleeps in his cocoon, his abandoned worm friend passes his days toiling in the earth.

When Bob finally becomes a butterfly, he flies down to reunite with his worm buddy. Otto natur
Abigail
May 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Picture-Books About Friendship
Shelves: picture-books
Bob the caterpillar and Otto the earthworm were best friends. They enjoyed crawling around together, and had, at least in their early stages, a lot in common. But then Bob had the urge to climb a tree and spin a cocoon and Otto had the urge to burrow into the earth and dig. When next they met, Bob had become a beautiful butterfly, and Otto felt sad and abashed that he was still the same humble worm. In an effort to comfort his friend, Bob assured Otto that his hard work digging made his (Bob's) ...more
Steph Sinclair
My daughter has the opportunity to bring home a new book from school every Friday. This was, unfortunately, one of the books chosen one week. You should know that my rating is an mixed rating of both my feelings and my daughters. She really enjoyed Bob and Otto, but I was left underwhelmed. First off, it’s dull as dirt. Second, I don’t think the lesson it was trying to teach — jealousy — was executed well. The butterfly was trying to console the worm by telling him about all the great things wor ...more
Sarah Wiwchar
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-with-kids
This is a REALLY great story about the friendship of a caterpillar and a worm. It is perfect while we have all of the caterpillars about in the city.
Meredith
Mar 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Just about the sweetest thing I've ever read! A worm and a caterpillar's friendship changes when the caterpillar turns into a butterfly but the worm is still a worm.
MFS
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's a lot to like here - interesting story that can spark conversations about animal behaviors and their purpose in nature. I love the clever page layout depicting the above-ground and below-ground worlds on each page. That said, I'd prefer a different ending, which is the reason for 4 stars rather than 5. Bob and Otto are friends, and their body shapes are strikingly similar. But Bob prefers above-ground life and Otto prefers below-ground life. As they explore their own worlds, their differ ...more
Colin
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We got this great little book from the library about a worm and a caterpillar who are friends. The caterpillar, Bob, wants to climb the tree, but the worm, Otto, doesn't, so he hides by burrowing around the tree roots. Bob climbs and eats and turns into a butterfly. He flies back down and Otto burrows back up and they meet again. Otto is sad - he wishes he had climbed - maybe he could have been a butterfly? (Cue tears! We were sadder than the children!). But Bob reminds Otto that without his bur ...more
Donna Mork
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute. Bob and Otto are friends. One day Bob the caterpillar climbs the tree while Otto digs in the ground. Bob changes into a beautiful butterfly and comes back to see Otto. Otto is sad b/c he thinks he should have gone with Bob and maybe he would have wings like that too. But Bob points out that Otto kept the soil nice so the tree would grow big and provide leaves for Bob to eat so he could get his wings. Bob says Otto is a great friend, and friends are important.
Lynn  Davidson
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is in French.
Toto, a caterpillar, and Otto, an earthworm, are very good friends. They play and dig and enjoy their time together until one day Toto decides to climb to the top of a tree while Otto digs deep into the earth. After a period of eating and sleeping, they meet again and discover that even when things change, friendship is still very important.
Samantha
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
A nice tribute by the author to his father, about friendship.
Nikki
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Two alike friends reunite after one metamorphoses to compare their experiences and their activities. Good intro to caterpillars and worms and their roles in the ecosystem.
Kelly
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lovely story of two very different friends, and the importance and meaning of friendship.
DiAnne Warfield
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Preschool story time 4-9-2019
Megan
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Megan by: Soren
Bob the caterpillar and Otto the worm were great friends who liked to do the same things--dig in the ground, play in the grass, and eat leaves that fell from the tree. But one day Bob looks up and realizes that he NEEDS to climb the tree and see how the world looks from up there. There are 5 wonderful full page illustrations that show how the activities of Bob and Otto have differed. At the end, Bob, now a butterfly, flies back down to visit Otto. Otto is jealous of Bob's wings and wonders if he ...more
Nancy Jo Lambert
May 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Bob and Otto are two special friends. They are similar, but different. In the spring they spend each day digging and and eating until one day, Bob decides to climb the tree. You see, Bob is a catepillar and starts going through the stages to become a butterfly, but Otto is just a worm and so he digs and eats, but doesn't change.

When Bob emerges from his coccoon, he has wings and can fly. Otto is jealous and proceeds to wish that he had climbed the tree with Bob when he had the chance
Asho
At 15 months my son has finally reached the stage where he regularly looks at the pictures in books, points to things that interest him, and helps me turn pages. He seemed to really like the colors in Bob and Otto.
Personally, I wasn't entirely sure of the lesson being taught here..."Sorry, kid, some of us have to work really hard in the shadows to enable others to do their much more impressive job...?" I mean, I suppose it is a good real life lesson, but it's sort of a downer. Perhaps I wa
Erin
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Bob and Otto are worms. They are also the best of friends. One day Bob decides to climb up to the top of the tree that they live under. Otto decides to dig down under the tree instead. Bob eats and eats and sleeps and turns into a butterfly! Otto digs and digs and digs and is still a worm. Eventually, they miss each other and meet up. Then Otto becomes sad, thinking that if only he had climbed to the top of the tree, he too could have grown wings. Bob made Otto happy again by thanking him for al ...more
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
A worm and a caterpillar are good friends. One day, the caterpillar begins to climb a tree while the worm crawls underground. When the caterpillar re-emerges as a beautiful butterfly, his friend the worm is sad to be left unchanged. The butterfly explains the important roll that worms place in an ecosystem, tying together the nature and friendship themes of the book.

A great read-aloud as part of an animal study unit for first grade. This is also a great text to use for compare and co
Cheryl
A gentle tale of two friends, both little worm-like creatures (caterpillar and earthworm) whose paths diverge and yet their friendship endures after Bob's metamorphosis to a butterfly.

Nicely illustrated, especially when the paths are different. I liked how the two paths were handled.

Good contrast between text and background makes this easy to read.

This book has an interesting message about friendship. It would be interesting to see how various children internalize the message.

Dawn
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I met another teacher when I was volunteering at Storybook Theatre. We got talking about school. She really loves science and was a great resource for some of the topics we do in grade three. She told me about a wonderful book, which, as she was talking, made me realize it would be great for our character assembly this month! Today we got to work on it. The kids are very excited. They totally got the concept that if everyone looks after their responsibilities, everything just goes much more smoo ...more
Roben
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-hour
The theme for the Summer Reading Program this year is Dig into Reading -- so this was a natural choice for story time! The ages were two - five years and they all enjoyed this book even though I read it at the very end of the story time. It's a sweet story about Bob the caterpillar and Otto the worm, who are best friends! The parents also really appreciated this story and its emphasis on the importance of friendship. Highly recommended!
Dianna
Sep 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
My son loves worms, so you can bet I snapped this book up at the library when I saw the cover. The only other worm book I've been able to find is Herman and Marguerite: An Earth Story.

We liked it! It follows a worm and a caterpillar who are friends. Then the caterpillar goes up into a tree and the worm goes down into the ground. I love the split pages—the caterpillar on top and the worm on the bottom—that show what the two are up to.
Heidi-Marie
Adorable. Cute pictures and sweet (slightly cheesy) ending. Good book on friendship, and one of the better worm books I've found while trying to fit an SRP theme. A fun idea and I like how Nick Bruel found his father's story and adapted it for children. I think it is also good for how I want to teach the kids some basics of what at least earthworms do. Would be just 3 stars, but the illustrations add so much!
Oct 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I just finished teaching and read this book on my last day. We talked about how Bob and Otto could be friends even though they're in different places. This poignant piece is appropriate for young children with its repetition and text alignment. It's interesting even for adults with its incredibly deep concept of friendship. I have a lot of books I love...but this is hands down my favorite.
Peacegal
Mar 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Pretty much your basic story about friendship and metamorphosis. Decent, colorful illustrations depict the story of a worm and a caterpillar who are buddies. Will be enjoyed by youngsters who like bugs.
Turrean
A sweet story about staying friends through change. Also a tale of reframing -- when Otto the worm wistfully wonders if he, too, could have gained a pair of wings had he ventured out of his home, his friend Bob, a newly winged butterfly, tells him how important Otto's work has been all along.

Brooke
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: friends, bugs
I love this story, but the kids don't get into it as much as I do. I doesn't work at Story Time no matter how much I want it to. :(
Kate
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A great story for the pre-school set about a friendship between a butterfly and an earthworm- showing all of us just how much we have to offer the world, even if we don't see it ourselves.
Theme: friendship, being onself

• Bogart and Vinnie: A Completely Made-up Story of True Friendship
  • The Sniffles for Bear
  • Simon's New Bed
  • Don't Worry Bear
  • Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!
  • Mossy
  • Mama Panya's Pancakes: A Village Tale from Kenya
  • Henry and Mudge in the Green Time (Henry and Mudge, #3)
  • Friendshape