Start by marking “Running Wild (The Men from Battle Ridge, #1)” as Want to Read:
Running Wild (The Men from Battle Ridge, #1)

Running Wild

(The Men from Battle Ridge #1)

Carlin Reed lives in fear, off the grid, moving from place to place. So Battle Ridge, Wyoming, a small town in the middle of nowhere, seems like a good place to lie low for a while. But after becoming cook and housekeeper to cattle rancher Zeke Decker, Carlin suspects that she’s made her first mistake. Rugged, sexy, and too distracting for his own good, Zeke is pure tempta ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published November 27th 2012 by Ballantine Books (first published November 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Running Wild, please sign up.

Jill
Jun 26, 2012 rated it liked it

Carlin Reed is on the run from an obsessed stalker. She's tried reporting him to the authorities but without success. Afterall, who are they going to believe, her or her stalker, (view spoiler) Constantly on the move, she ends up in Battle Ridge, Wyoming. Taking a job as a waitress for a time, she's ready to move on again, when an offer comes as a cook and housekeeper on a nearby ranch.

Zeke Decker really doesn't need the distracti
Karla
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Linda Howard fans
Recommended to Karla by: Jill

4 Stars! Nice start to the series! Well done author collaboration!

I’ve never read anything by Linda Winstead Jones, so I can’t compare, but I was definitely getting the Linda Howard vibe in this book. Particularly with the snarky banter between H and h, where the attraction is undeniable, but they use sarcasm to keep each other at arm’s length. It was reminiscent her books, Mr. Perfect , Open Season and Heart of Fire, all of which I loved!

The prologue introduces us to the grumpy Zeke and then switches over to Car
Vintage
Audio

Skimming and DNF.

I usually like Linda Howard’s books more than this. Her heroines are pretty smart and operate in the real world, and while the heroes are pretty hunky and are a few links up the evolutionary chain from Diana Palmer heroes,they always do something unforgivable that gets forgiven because the sex is good.

This seemed a little too cliched for me.

Heroine
She’s in the run from a two date stalker and has learned how to stay under radar. She arrive/>
Kathleen
3.75 stars, possibly 4. An enjoyable contemporary western romance, with some suspense. Quite a pleasant read, if a little disappointing. I loved the characters and the western setting, but there was not enough of that wonderful high-octane suspense I have grown to expect from Linda Howard. (I am not familiar with the co-author.)

This book also lacked Howard's famous sexy banter (see Mr. Perfect, for one example). It just didn't have ENOUGH of the earthy bold humor I love -- even thoug
Naksed

_"How can you forget anything? You have a damn list. Just check off each thing as you get it."

_"Any idiot can get what's on a list. It's what ISN'T on the list that requires creativity."

I've been quoting that line every time hubby and I go grocery shopping since reading Running Wild, the surprisingly funny and satisfying, contemporary, cowboy romance with some suspense/action thrown in.

The heroine is escaping a psychotic stalker when she ends up in a small town and becomes the rancher h
Lisa Kay
★★★★✩ The audio is wonderfully narrated by Maggie Wheeler, and she certainly kicks it up a notch. Nothing terrible new here, but done so much better than when attempted by other authors. Also, I did really like one thrilling scene (you'll know where you get there). Very enjoyable - and satisfying!
Jacqueline J
This book was a good enough read but I don't think it's going to be a reread. I am fond of the woman on the run set up but somehow it wasn't all that interesting here. I think because her reaction seemed extreme for what had happened. Yes the other girl getting killed was bad but her running off the grid and always moving on would have made more sense if he was shown continually finding her. Because otherwise hunkering down on the ranch where there was little possibility that she would be found ...more
♥Rachel♥
I do love me a sexy, protective cowboy, but Carlin was no slouch either. A girl who can fend for herself under dangerous circumstances and still manage to think rationally is the kind of heroine I can get behind!

The audio was really good. Maggie Wheeler sounded like a country girl with a little bit of sass and her male voices were done well, too. I upped the speed form 1.0x (normal speed) to 1.25x, just a little faster.
Tracey
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copy
This is a gentle read, a very pleasant read at that - we have Carlin who is on the run from a nasty stalker, she is terrified and has all her guards up, she may be on guard but still has a smart mouth on her. She drives into a small town in Wyoming and takes a break in the local cafe/diner, luckily she lands on her feet and is offered some temporary work in the diner.

Zeke, the rough but handsome cowboy that owns a ranch and works hard running it, when his housekeeper ups and leaves he is forced to get his
Emmy
Sep 22, 2016 rated it liked it
**2.5**

Nothing particularly original. Some of the internal monologues/narrations got pretty repetitive after a while and I will never understand why female characters decide, if for example they have a stalker, that they have to do everything on their own and can't let others help them.
Tina "IRead2Escape"
Running Wild: The Men From Battleridge by Linda Howard and Linda Jones is a must read! I mean seriously read it now, well finish my review first and then go buy this book!

Carlin Reed lives in fear everyday, always on the run and always watching her back. 2 lousy dates and her life was forever changed. She's being stalked by a policeman, so of course no one believed her when she tried to report him. She's on the run, stopping at random places, working for cash only, making no friends and moving
Ian
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not entirely sure who wrote this book, the Kindle version I received from the publisher had the author as Linda Howard and Linda Jones. I have no idea what part they each played in this book, but whatever they did, it worked.

With a psychopathic stalker hunting her, Carlin is always ready to run. She works for cash, keeps her "run kit" ready at all times and avoids any attention. When she arrives in Battle Ridge, Wyoming she takes a job working as a housekeeper for a grumpy ranche
D.B. Reynolds
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Linda Howard is one of my favorite authors,but I was unsure about reading Running Wild,because too often in joint titles like this, the bestselling author's name is on the cover, but she hasn't done any of the writing. Either that wasn't the case with this book, or Linda Jones is every bit as good as Linda Howard, because I. Loved. This. Book. Carlin Reed is tough and determined, on the run from a dangerous stalker/ex-boyfriend. She's vulnerable and scared, but keeps it all on the inside, and sh ...more
Saly
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Saly by: Jill
Just to be clear, I am not sure this book will be everyone's cup of tea because the romance truly does take a lot of time to get going so we get to read about the heroine doing her chores, the hero doing his work etc etc. The heroine is on the run from a man she dated twice, he being a cop made things difficult and he escalated killing her friend thinking it was the heroine, so now she is truly off the grid, doing whatever jobs she can. The hero's cousin gets the heroine a job with the hero who ...more
-ya
Jun 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carlin is running away from a crazy, psychotic cop who happens to be a hacker. He is always on her tail and getting closer no matter what she does or where she goes. Even with this plot line, the novel actually has very little suspense and pretty much lacks intensity compared with Linda Howard’s older RS books. Despite the promising start, a big part of the story is filled with cooking, baking, recipes, laundry, grocery shopping etc. Grrr...lots of chores:( The pace finally picks up around 70% b ...more
Ren Puspita
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Linda Howard's fans!
Recommended to Ren Puspita by: I still have faith to LH!
With thanks to Netgalley and Random House to provide the e-ARC

A.Z.Decker or Zeke doesn't need a new housekeeper after Libby, his previous housekeeper left. But he don't have a choice to hire Carlin Reed after his temporary housekeeper (who is man) got accident. Carlin is woman on the run. She had stalker, Brad, who is psycho cop that previously killed her friend because he mistake her for Carlin. Carlin then go to Battle Ridge, Wyoming and got work at Kat's place, The Pie Hole(Kat is Zeke's
Lena
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2DDA9893-8A0A-4B81-ADBF-D8ADCB093EE3.jpg
Reread: Still filled me with that bubbly joy of a good romantic suspense.

I love you Linda Howard, your books keep me hanging on through the worst of times. When I'm sitting in a waiting room for news of life or death you had best believe there is some Linda Howard on my kindle helping me keep it together.

After reading her older historical western romance set in New Mexico I went for one of Howard's newest offerings, a contemporary western romance set in Wyoming. I've now been looking at real estate in Jackson because L
Pamela(AllHoney)
Runing Wild is the first book in Linda Howard and Linda Jones' new series The Men from Battle Ridge. Carlin Reed is on the run from a stalker. She ends up in Battle Ridge, Wyoming, and decides to stay for a bit. She accepts a position as housekeeper/cook for Zeke Decker. Meanwhile, her stalker is on the prowl and searching for her relentlessly.

This is a theme/plot I've read many times and enjoy. And I liked this one but I felt it didn't keep me invested enough to warrant anything over 3 stars.
D.G.
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
**2.5 stars**

There was more cooking in this book than anything else. The heroine is running from a stalker and finds herself in Wyoming where she gets work as the housekeeper for the hero's ranch. And then the book is mostly cooking - even the relationship was secondary to the cooking.

The whole stalker plot seemed way out there. I can't believe that a man who got obsessed with a woman after two dates would act normally in other circumstances that he wouldn't be found out
Beth
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
If you love Linda Howard you will be disappointed in this book. It rambles on and is so dumb in places that I am having a hard time finishing it. The plot had such good possibilities but keeps letting me down! I will not be able to read any more of this series.
Bethany
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
4.5 Stars

The audiobook really sucks you in.
Dianne
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: galleys-arcs
In this really great opening book into a new series, you will get to meet the feisty, smart and scared Carlin Reed. And, yes she was named after George Carlin! She is being stalked by someone nobody would ever expect it of, and her stalker has already killed one person that Carlin cares about. Now she is on the run.

Her running takes her to an unlikely place by the name of Battle Ridge, Wyoming a very quiet ranching town that is sort of on the way out, with people moving trying to mak
Jenn Scranton
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First of all, I have yet to meet a cowboy that I did not like!

Zeke is no different. He's a little rough around the edges and doesn't exactly know what to say around a woman, but a hard working man with muscles and determination who knows how to keep his mouth shut at the appropriate moments... sign me up!! Not to mention you can win him over with a plate of chocolate chip cookies!

Some may see Carlin
Mara
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
A solid 4 star beginning, but the ending wasn't up to par.
Kathryn
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed the audio version of this book.
Delta

If you are looking for a romantic suspense thriller, Running Wild isn’t that. It is more of a contemporary western romance sandwiched between some romantic suspense at the very beginning and end of the book. Still, it is an entertaining read.

Carlin Reed is a feisty, strong heroine who goes off the grid (as Carly Hunt) and on the run from Brad and avoids putting down any kind of roots so that she doesn’t endanger anyone she cares about. When she ends up wintering at a
Caroline
Okay, this book has it all!
Hot cowboy
Woman on the run
Small town
Slow burn
Suspense
Hot AF

What more do you need? Let me tell you nothing. I am obsessed with the trope ''On the run'' It is one of my all-time favorites so when I found this book I had to read it. I was not disappointed, and it had me hooked from the beginning. The only reason it isn't getting 5 stars is that it is a slow burn and in the first half of the book it got a little longer becaus
MissKitty
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This one was pretty ok, more like 3.5 stars.

Linda Howard used to be one of my favorite authors back in the day, but it’s been a few years since I last read one of her books. This one is a collaboration with another author, and although it’s good, it lacks the edginess and humor that is her signature for some of my favorites, like Mr. Perfect and Drop Dead gorgeous.

No real angst in this story, most of the suspense came from the heroine’s situation, she is on a run from a s

• Matthew (Circle Eight, #1)
  • Bucking Hard
  • Once Tempted (Silver Creek, #1)
  • Trouble in Texas (Deep in the Heart of Texas, #4)
  • Tyler (The Secret Life of Cowboys, #1)
  • Big Sky Country (Parable, Montana, #1)
  • The Virgin Huntress (The Devil DeVere #2)
  • Billion Dollar Cowboy (Cowboys & Brides, #1)
  • Cowboy Up (Sons of Chance, #5)
  • Two Times as Hot (Oklahoma Nights, #2)
  • The Last Renegade (Bitter Springs #1)
  • Unbridled
  • The Trouble with Cowboys (Catcher Creek, #1)
  • Texas Rain (Whispering Mountain, #1)
  • The Covert Wolf (Phoenix Force, #1)
  • Stolen
  • The Cowboy Takes a Bride (Jubilee, Texas, #1)
  • Unbreakable (The Dalton Gang #2)

Linda S. Howington is an American best-selling romance author writing under the pseudonym Linda Howard. After 21 years of penning stories for her own enjoyment, she submitted a novel for publication which was very successful. Her first work was published by Silhouette in 1982. She is a charter member of Roma
“You look like you're about to puke," he observed, pushing his cart forward.

With a quick, inner shake she gathered herself and cut him off to take her rightful position as lead cart. "I was trying to imagine you as a kid. It was horrifying.”
6 likes
“She glared down at the pan. And then she kicked it. The first kick sent it tumbling a couple of feet; something black and gooey came out. The second kick got better distance, maybe because it wasn’t as heavy now. Evidently unsatisfied, she advanced on one of the pickups and grabbed a hammer from the back. Going down on one knee, she swung the hammer for all she was worth and beat the hell out of that pan, then she got up and kicked it one more time for good measure.
“Damn,” Walt muttered. “I’m not ever going to say a single bad thing about her cooking.
“Yeah,” Eli muttered in return. “No matter what it is, I’ll eat it or die. Even that cake.”
“More like, eat it and die,” Patrick put in.”
5 likes