Start by marking “Crashing the Party: Taking on the Corporate Government in an Age of Surrender” as Want to Read:
Crashing the Party: Taking on the Corporate Government in an Age of Surrender

Crashing the Party: Taking on the Corporate Government in an Age of Surrender

Ralph Nader is one of America's most passionate and effective social critics. He has been called a muckraker, a consumer crusader, and America's public defender. The cars we drive, the food we eat, the water we drink-their safety has been enhanced largely due to Ralph Nader. His inspiration and example have rallied consumer advocates, citizen activists, public interest law
Published October 14th 2002 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2002)

Start your review of Crashing the Party: Taking on the Corporate Government in an Age of Surrender
Mark
Apr 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
318 pages of why one should vote for Nader. The accounts of the Democratic party’s mismanagement and duplicity in the currently flawed system is quite depressing. From campaign finance to the Commission on Presidential Debates, Nader hammers home the point that voting for the lesser of two evils will constantly be a mixture of less and evil. A viable third option needs to be forged, and the sooner it gets started the better off we will all be in the long run.
Mark Robertson
Ralph recounts, rather dryly, his 2000 campaign. He makes excellent points and can occasionally be very humorous, but his writing style leaves a whole lot to be desired. Still, the blatant hypocrisy and anti-democratic opposition he recounts on the part of Gore and company is so enraging that you can put up with Ralph not having the best prose.
Derek Postlewaite
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics
My absolute favorite book from one of the most admirable and important individuals in American history. Nader lays out his 2000 run for president of the United States, details the hypocrisy and ineffectiveness of the Democratic Party, and provides alternatives to our corporate run election system. Extremely enjoyable, entertaining and informative the entire way through.
Philip
Feb 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Story after story after story about how the two major parties have conspired to divide up the spoils fairly equally.
Richard
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book has some important redeeming values. It is important to remember how corporate friendly the Democratic Party was under Clinton/Gore and just how devastating that was to progressive causes. Low information voters that only listen to rhetoric and do not compare it with the corresponding actions taken by politicians will never understand the anguish progressive Democratic voters have had to go through for the last 35 years.

Yes, you can't win if you don't compete and if you don't win a se
Alicia
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
This book is a bit out of date....the world is pretty much a different place than it was in 2000. Nader did add a forward addressing 9/11, but still so much has changed, including with elections and our political system. It was interesting to read his perspective, but it got boring at parts because he was recounting so many details of his campaign trail with minimal insight. I would like to read a book on his opinion on the most recent election though!
Brian

Innovation- +1 Stars
Inspiration- +1 Stars

1 Star Good
0 Star Bad-Neutral

Ralph bascially walks through why he ran in 2000 and why he refused to not "steal" votes from Gore. Do other software companies worry that they will be taking business away from Microsoft? No. It is nonsensical to assume that the Democrats own progressive voters. Ralph calls on us to take action to make them earn our vote, or we go to an alternative
Colleen
May 12, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: blindly faithful Democrats
So, Ralph Nader is right about a lot of things. He really is. And there's a lot of important stuff in here about how our electoral system is actually a duopoly and makes it almost impossible for a viable third party to emerge. But this book goes on and on about how right he is and how wrong everyone else is. I even caught a few uses of the royal "we".

It's too bad, because I do think people need to know why and how he ran in 2000, and I agree with him in principle. But this book is just no fun to
Patrick
Jan 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2001
Tough to get through with all his big words, even for a smart guy like myself, but a fascinating, empowering account of his run for President in 2000. He explains all the bullshit about trying to get your voice heard in our amazing democracy run by the two-headed corporate political machine, such as being blocked out of the debates and all the money and time spent by that piece of shit Al Gore to get Ralph kicked off the ballot in different states.
Al
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Nader's telling of his 2000 campaign. It is pretty dry, and won't appeal to everyone. Still, for those who love to read about politics, there is plenty there to keep you interested. Unlike other books (such as Jesse Ventura's), I find it more disheartening than inspiring. The troubles and challenges Nader had to overcome show how entrenched the two-party system really is, and how hard it will be for anyone to win as an outsider.
Claire
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
I generally don't like memoirs, and am on the fence about political treatises. I thought I'd give it a try, but nothing happened.

It is just an OK book, in my opinion, despite the promising title.

Anyway, I picked it up to prove to myself American politics aren't anathema. No, but I didn't find this moving in any direction. So, I suppose my analysis is that 2000 US politics was a stagnant field. It's not bad, it's just not good either.

I'm ambivalently neutral.
Andy
Feb 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
written by Nader about his struggles with running as a third party candidate in the 2000 presidential elections. it addresses critical issues in the American election process such as campaign finance reform and our flawed two-party system. i enjoyed this book quite a bit when i read it. it's what sparked my interest and involvement in the Green Party and politics in general.
Alberto
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Excellent account of the 2000 presidential campaign of Ralph Nader for the Green Party. It is about ways to improve democracy by direct popular participation, no more, no less. The Democrats are too far away from their original ideas. The political process is hijacked by big business. Until new voices are heard, real democracy will be elusive. If I was a citizen, I'd vote for him.
Daniel Crews
Oct 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
Among all the grandstanding and Ego, Nader makes some salient points that cannot safely be disregarded. We ignore his warnings about corporate control and the death of populism (little p) at our own peril.
Seytin
Sep 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
NADER POWER! Too much heat has come down on this man. He has a lot of integrity and this book is an amazing analysis of the two party system's love affair with corporate corruption. Let go of your partisan politics and open your mind.
Lou
Sep 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Nader sheds light on a subject we all know too well, the political corruption that resides in Washington.We all know his independent run for the Presidency did Gore in, but he still felt both parties are slaves to corporate greed and self interest groups
Nick
Dec 21, 2008 rated it liked it
It's been a few years since I read this: Nader makes some great points, runs an inspirational campaign.... but would do better if he improved story telling, didn't do as much name dropping, and were a little less self-important. Hmmmm
Dave
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was there in Boston. The show of force was impressive. We didn't even get noticed. That doesn't happen anymore, now we have smart phone cameras and twitter. Back then if the TV didn't cover it, it didn't happen. Was this a historical footnote or turning point? Time will tell.
Kathy
Aug 07, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to get inside the brain of ralph nader
Although this book wouldn't make me vote for Ralph Nader, it made me respect him for bringing another voice into two-party system.
furious
Feb 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics, mines
i've been proud to throw my vote away to this man.
Ricky Davis
Feb 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: political-reads
I am a total Nader fan. In this book it shocked me to learn how much of our democratic process is undemoctratic.
Ever
Jul 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
I know what the majority of the world thinks of Ralph Nader, but I can't help but like the guy.
Johnny Galt
Oct 18, 2009 marked it as to-read
I own a signed copy. How could I not give it 5 stars!
Paul Ivanov
Dec 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Pretty detailed account of Nader's 2000 candidacy, much of the writing here is just relaying the sequence of events, without as much commentary as I would have liked.
columbialion
Jan 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to columbialion by: Self
Real arguments against the status quo 2 party political system in America
Rachel
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: policy-politics
I enjoyed this when I read it shortly after college. It reminded me to keep wanting more from a political party than just choosing the lesser of two evils.
C. Scott
A bitter reminder of what any third party in the US faces.
Patrick Fiorill
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Maddening and incredibly dry, even for Nader.
Dave Mevis
Jan 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People fed up with government
Good resource. Especially appendices and suggested reading.
Michael J.J. Tiffany
Surprisingly bitchy, but still very illuminating.

• Walden Two
  • Term Limits
  • Public Cowboy No. 1: The Life and Times of Gene Autry
  • Lost in America: A Journey with My Father
  • Find Me (Kathleen Mallory, #9)
  • North Writers I: A Strong Woods Collection
  • The origin of mankind
  • Skating Life: My Story
  • Ordinary People
  • Land of Amber Waters: The History of Brewing in Minnesota
  • Strong Poison (Lord Peter Wimsey, #6)
  • Off Keck Road
  • How Starbucks Saved My Life: A Son of Privilege Learns to Live Like Everyone Else
  • The Mulligan
  • The Mystery of Edwin Drood
  • The World Without Us
  • The Uncommercial Traveller
  • Main Street
American attorney, author, lecturer, political activist, and candidate for President of the United States in five elections, including the last election 0f 2008, with his role in the 2000 election in particular being subject to much debate.

Areas of particular concern to Nader include consumer rights, humanitarianism, environmentalism, and democratic government. Nader is the first Arab American pr