Start by marking “If You Take a Mouse to the Movies” as Want to Read:
If You Take a Mouse to the Movies

If You Take a Mouse to the Movies

(If You Give...)

If you take a mouse to the movies, he'll ask you for some popcorn. If you give him the popcorn, he'll want to string it all together. Then he'll want to hang it on a Christmas tree.

The famous little mouse from If You Give a Mouse a Cookie that has delighted
Published October 3rd 2000 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about If You Take a Mouse to the Movies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Take a Mouse to the Movies

Start your review of If You Take a Mouse to the Movies
Rossy
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Loved the illustrations, they were so colorful!
When he made the snowman and the ornaments that look just like him, my cold heart melted a little <3
MK ( Makayla)
For as many Christmases as I can remember ,I've read this book on Christmas Eve laying under the Christmas tree .

This year I never got around the that long running anual tradition until after the New Year. My young cousin came over so I decided to include him in reading a book that is very dear to my heart , only to find him very uninterested in it .

This little book is unmatched in it uniqueness , humor , and magic . The illustrations get me every time . I spend more time laughing and smiling
Joy Gerbode
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun book, especially at Christmas time, as it incorporates Christmas activities. I love the way her books always end up back where they started. What a fun way to end my year!

Once again a fun book to share with the grandchildren.
Eva Leger
Dec 04, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julias-books
This is just awful. The only reason I'm giving it two stars is because Julia thinks the damn mouse is cute so I feel bad giving it a one. But Juliaa herself said the book stinks.
Maybe it's my OCD flaring up but what sense did this make? First of all, I can fly with the whole 'taking a mouse to the movies' thing - could be cute so okay. I can even see giving him popcorn. After all, if I did take a mouse to the movies I'd probably give the little guy something to eat. But I get reaaallll lost
Allison
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely adorable. The little mouse is back from eating cookies, and it is time for the holidays! This book is about the little mouse going to the movies during the holidays. Instead of the mouse wanting a cookie, he will ask for some popcorn which makes perfect sense because he is at the movies! The little mouse also loves to string the popcorn and hang it on the tree and to make snowmen. I like how the story begins and ends with the mouse and the boy going to the movies. Just as ...more
Kristine Hansen
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
And this is why you don't take rodents to the movies...

A cute story that is about all the silly fun consequences of taking a mouse to the movies, that somehow works into a light holiday tale. My favorite picture was the Christmas tree positively groaning under handmade ornaments which made me want to go and make ornaments as well - with lots of glitter.

If you've been a fan of the moose books and everything that follows by this author, there isn't much new here, but the story is still fun and
Evan
Apr 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kiddie-fare
We had a little guest over today so read this to her. The story circles back upon itself, though not very elegantly. The mouse is cute, of course. I don't count kids' books like this as a "2010 read" because, let's face it, that's a cheat. My standard is to count, say, every eight Dr. Seuss books as one read, which works out if you throw in a few of his older, wordier ones. Seems like an honest, fair ratio.
Katherine Cowley
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you take a mouse to the movies...you may be in for an awesome Christmas. The mouse is inventive and full of energy as always, and this Christmas book is one I didn't mind reading again and again and again. The preschool book group my kids go to also read this book, and online you can find lots of fun related crafts to do with your kids. Also: indoor snowball fights using polyfil are the best!
midnightfaerie
Oct 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A book my 5 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 1 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. A great addition to any children's library.
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Yes
If You Take A Mouse To The Movies by Laura Numeroff is another cute book from the If You.... Series. This is a Christmas one. As always, one idea leads to another, until you end up back square one.
Christina/ The Blog for Teachers, Readers, & Life!
If You Take a Mouse to the Movies by Laura Numeroff and Illustrated by Felicia Bond
(Ages 3-8) Grades PreK-2nd
Numeroff and Bond are at it again. A rascally mouse gives new meaning to the saying, “if you give an inch, he will take a mile.” The little scamp wants to go to the movies, and then embarks on a string of requests that takes us through a series of winter activities. Humorous drawings set the tone for this silly book.
Go to 5 Best Holiday Books for Kids at the bottom for activities for
Wyatt
May 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
While the illustrations were not without their charms I could not get behind the horrific anti-socialist message presented in this story. The idea that helping someone (in this case a mouse) once would lead to an endless cycle of dependency is not the sort of lesson I'd like to teach my daughter.

Eight thumbs up out of a possible forty-seven thumbs up.
Leigh Triplett
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: seasons
This is a cute book that displays asking and giving. The book would encourage children to think about what might come next. This one has a Christmas theme to it so it would be good for seasons or holidays as long as it is appropriate for the setting you are reading it in.
Deborah Embury
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hands down one of my favorite children’s books of all time! This has the coziest snow days feels to it; the other “If You” titles are just as fun, but this one is really something special to me. :)
Jonathan
i remember reading this during Christmas time
Josiah
Nov 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Judging from If You Take a Mouse to the Movies, Laura Numeroff and Felicia Bond still had some storytelling magic left in them fifteen years after If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, the picture book that put them on the map with its release in 1985. We never tire of the erratic escapades of the titular mouse, even as most episodes closely resemble the adventures he's had before. In If You Take a Mouse to the Movies, Laura Numeroff and Felicia Bond help young readers celebrate their favorite literary ...more
Carolyn
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-read-shelf
I have read this countless times over the years since getting it a Christmas gift when I was 11. It is not only part of one of my favorite childhood picture book series, but it is about movies and Christmas so of course it is one of the best picture books I have ever read :D.
Val
Mar 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Cute. The story line wasn't as "logical" as most of the other books. Not the best of the set.
Johnthan
Sep 27, 2010 rated it did not like it
boring
Taylor Heersink
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Just like the many other books like this one, takes one small event and spirals it out of control. This book starts out, during Christmas time, and talks about what happens if you take a mouse to the movies, and if you take a mouse to the movies, he is going to want popcorn. Then the mouse will want to take this popcorn, string it up, and put it on the Christmas tree. This book is full of fun illustrations that make it engaging for students during read aloud time. The other great stylistic part ...more
Ashley Thompson
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book begins by saying if you take a mouse to the movies, he will ask for some popcorn. Then the mouse wants to string the popcorn together and hang it on a Christmas tree. Then you have to buy a Christmas tree and the mouse will want to make a snowman. Then the mouse wants to do one thing after another like snuggle with a blanket, sing carols, and make ornaments. Every time you give the mouse something, it reminds him of another thing he wants. At the end he decorates the tree, but ...more
Mayra
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book gets me so excited for the holidays! The book begins with a young boy who takes a mouse to the movies and when the mouse arrives he asks for popcorn. After he has his popcorn, he wants to string it together and decorate a tree with it. On the way home, he asks a boy for a tree and they stop in the snow where they also play in the snow for a while upon mouses request. Then the mouse gets cold and they go inside where he asks for a blanket, some Christmas carols, and ornament making. ...more
McKenzie Creagan
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just like the book "If you give a mouse a cookie", this book follows the mouse through all of his crazy ideas and needs. It follows the mouse and his owner through a sequence of events that includes taking him to the movie and giving him popcorn, which develops these crazy events from that point on. For example, if you give him some popcorn then he will want to string it together and then he will want to hang it on a Christmas tree, so you will have to buy him one. This is just a silly ...more
Hannah Jones
A little boy takes his friend, the mouse, to the movies. The mouse wants popcorn and so they get some. Little did the boy know that going to the movies and getting popcorn would take them on an adventure for the entire day.

These books are all so cute! I haven't read one since I was in elementary school and I had never read this one. It's a really fun story and it cracks me up how side tracked the mouse gets and everywhere he takes the little boy.

This book could be used for teaching kids
Lara
Cute and silly, but not my favorite If You Give... book. It's really more of an almost-3.5 but still not rounded up. I like the incorporated Christmas holiday activities, and of course the looping activities. I love the illustrations. My biggest problem with this one was the flow just didn't feel as natural as in some of the others in the series. Just a bit clunkier, which made the mouse seem a little pushier somehow.

Could be a good addition for a winter or Christmas storytime. Probably others
Emma Hendrix
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dr-smith
If you take a mouse to the movies he'll want some popcorn to go with it. Once you give him popcorn he'll want to string it on a Christmas tree. Everything the mouse does or you give him, he will want to do more. The mouse wants to do whatever reminds him of what he is currently doing. Though in the end it always circles back to what he started with. This book is apart of a wonderful series that deals with the same concept, just different characters. A wonderful book that I would not hesitate to ...more
Alyson Carroll
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
If You Take a Mouse to the Movies is about a mouse who sees popcorn at the movies and wants to string them together to put on a Christmas tree. From there, the mouse wants to continue doing Christmas/winter activities. The main character is helping him run around and complete all these activities. This book is super cute for winter time and is a good read for younger children. It will give kids ideas on how to decorate for winter and get into the Christmas spirit. You could use some of the ideas ...more
R.
Oct 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Lisa
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I just love these cute books!

back cover--Mouse celebrates the holidays in this picture book in the beloved #1 New York Times bestselling If You Give... series!

The famous little mouse from If You Give a Mouse a Cookie that has delighted millions of readers is back in an irresistible tale full of holiday antics.

Collect
Emily
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have always loved these books and this one was super cute like I expected. This book is about how bringing a mouse to the movies will make him want popcorn. he wants to put the popcorn on the Christmas tree, but gets distracted doing other things. when the mouse finally puts the popcorn on the tree, he wants to go see another movie. I think it just teaches kids patience and having fun. These books are always fun reads. This is a book good for grades 2-5.

• Giggle, Giggle, Quack
  • Bear Stays Up for Christmas
  • Skippyjon Jones in Mummy Trouble (Skippyjon Jones, #3)
  • Snowmen at Christmas
  • The Wild Christmas Reindeer
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • Home for Christmas
  • Merry Christmas, Curious George
  • Olivia Forms a Band (Olivia, #4)
  • A Bad Case of Stripes
  • Olivia Helps with Christmas
  • Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?
  • Dream Snow
Laura Joffe Numeroff is the New York Times bestselling author of author of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, Raising a Hero, and What Mommies/Daddies Do Best. She was born in Brooklyn, New York and graduated from Pratt Institute. Laura grew up as the youngest of three girls, surrounded by art, music, and books. An avid animal lover, Laura has always wanted to write a book about service dogs. She now ...more

If You Give... (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (If You Give...)
  • If You Give a Moose a Muffin
  • If You Give a Pig a Pancake
  • If You Give a Pig a Party
  • If You Give a Cat a Cupcake
  • If You Give a Dog a Donut
  • Time for School, Mouse!
  • If You Give a Mouse a Brownie