Start by marking “If You Take a Mouse to the Movies” as Want to Read:
If You Take a Mouse to the Movies

If You Take a Mouse to the Movies (If You Give...)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  18,380 Ratings  ·  332 Reviews
Mouse celebrates the holidays in this picture book in the beloved #1 New York Times bestselling If You Give... series!

If you take a mouse to the movies, he'll ask you for some popcorn. If you give him the popcorn, he'll want to string it all together. Then he'll want to hang it on a Christmas tree.

The famous little mouse from If You Give a Mouse a Cookie that has delighted
Published October 3rd 2000 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about If You Take a Mouse to the Movies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Take a Mouse to the Movies

Rossy
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Loved the illustrations, they were so colorful!
When he made the snowman and the ornaments that look just like him, my cold heart melted a little <3
Eva Leger
Dec 04, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julias-books
This is just awful. The only reason I'm giving it two stars is because Julia thinks the damn mouse is cute so I feel bad giving it a one. But Juliaa herself said the book stinks.
Maybe it's my OCD flaring up but what sense did this make? First of all, I can fly with the whole 'taking a mouse to the movies' thing - could be cute so okay. I can even see giving him popcorn. After all, if I did take a mouse to the movies I'd probably give the little guy something to eat. But I get reaaallll lost aft
Joy Gerbode
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun book, especially at Christmas time, as it incorporates Christmas activities. I love the way her books always end up back where they started. What a fun way to end my year!

Once again a fun book to share with the grandchildren.
Kristine Hansen
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
And this is why you don't take rodents to the movies...

A cute story that is about all the silly fun consequences of taking a mouse to the movies, that somehow works into a light holiday tale. My favorite picture was the Christmas tree positively groaning under handmade ornaments which made me want to go and make ornaments as well - with lots of glitter.

If you've been a fan of the moose books and everything that follows by this author, there isn't much new here, but the story is still fun and ta
Jonathan
i remember reading this during Christmas time
Allison
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely adorable. The little mouse is back from eating cookies, and it is time for the holidays! This book is about the little mouse going to the movies during the holidays. Instead of the mouse wanting a cookie, he will ask for some popcorn which makes perfect sense because he is at the movies! The little mouse also loves to string the popcorn and hang it on the tree and to make snowmen. I like how the story begins and ends with the mouse and the boy going to the movies. Just as ...more
Evan
Apr 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kiddie-fare
We had a little guest over today so read this to her. The story circles back upon itself, though not very elegantly. The mouse is cute, of course. I don't count kids' books like this as a "2010 read" because, let's face it, that's a cheat. My standard is to count, say, every eight Dr. Seuss books as one read, which works out if you throw in a few of his older, wordier ones. Seems like an honest, fair ratio.
Katherine Cowley
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you take a mouse to the movies...you may be in for an awesome Christmas. The mouse is inventive and full of energy as always, and this Christmas book is one I didn't mind reading again and again and again. The preschool book group my kids go to also read this book, and online you can find lots of fun related crafts to do with your kids. Also: indoor snowball fights using polyfil are the best!
midnightfaerie
Oct 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A book my 5 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 1 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. A great addition to any children's library.
Johnthan
Sep 27, 2010 rated it did not like it
boring
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Yes
If You Take A Mouse To The Movies by Laura Numeroff is another cute book from the If You.... Series. This is a Christmas one. As always, one idea leads to another, until you end up back square one.
Val
Mar 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Cute. The story line wasn't as "logical" as most of the other books. Not the best of the set.
McKenzie Creagan
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just like the book "If you give a mouse a cookie", this book follows the mouse through all of his crazy ideas and needs. It follows the mouse and his owner through a sequence of events that includes taking him to the movie and giving him popcorn, which develops these crazy events from that point on. For example, if you give him some popcorn then he will want to string it together and then he will want to hang it on a Christmas tree, so you will have to buy him one. This is just a silly children' ...more
Kayla Hawkins
(My Choice)
Summary: A cute, little mouse gets the opportunity to be taken to the movies. As one thing happens, it makes the mouse want another thing. This occurs throughout the book until the mouse is finally tired from all the activities and falls asleep.
Evaluation: This is a cute book that is very fun to read! The kids would really enjoy reading about what the mouse gets into.
Teaching Idea: This might could be used for teaching predictions because the teacher could get the students to predic
Cathy
Around and around this story goes - the kids love this silly mouse that I am sure is ADHD and a bit demanding but that's what you get when you take a mouse to the movies: he'll ask you for some popcorn. If you give him the popcorn, he'll want to string it all together. Then he'll want to hang it on a Christmas tree, then build a snowman and a snow fort and on and on until he remembers the popcorn.

Sidney Chumbler
This is a holiday version of the if you give a books. This one isn't my favorite but its still good. The popcorn at the movies reminds the mouse of popcorn string which makes it want to get a Christmas tree and the list goes on. This book is creative in how it connects the movies to Christmas. I love all of these books and how it makes kids use connections to read the book.
Allison Tubaugh
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it
If you give a mouse a cookie he will ask you for a glass of milk. now this famous little mouse wants to go to the movies. If you take a mouse to the movies, what will he ask for? This book would be great for a read aloud in the classroom.
Katharine Coggeshall
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book and fits with the series. We read this book any time during the year! The illustrations really make the book and the story engages the child. It's fun and the child wants to read it again and again.
Reaghan Peterson
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: el230
I picked this book because it is funny and it will keep the students guessing of what the mouse will do next. This book would be a good way to bring up cause and effect. Everything in the book happens because of what happened before it.
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Typical nonsensical "If You..." book. This one did have some fun extras at the end like Christmas cookie recipes and a couple songs.
Molly
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: juv, 2017, lib-holiday
This book was read at a story time I was visiting. Very cute loop that the mouse sets up with the movie popcorn and preparing a Christmas tree.
Maxym
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: isk-library
The Mouse wanted to do all the stuff he did because we would want to buy a Christmas tree and decorations on it and in the end he wanted to do all that stuff again.
Joanne Zienty
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-fiction
Just when you thought there couldn't be another sequel in this series, there is. And it works! Christmas-themed and the kinder set will enjoy it as much as its predecessors.
Becka
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
These books are a great resource for ELL learners and cause and effect lessons. The English is simple so they can follow along and still understand the concept and lesson behind it.
Patricia
One of Laura Numeroff's "If You" titles. Very cute, lovely illustrations- I wish I could make Christmas ornaments as well as that mouse does! A great read-aloud for kids.
Christin Hackman
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents, teachers, children
Recommended to Christin by: my mom
If You Take a Mouse to the Movies is a children's picture book, and is fiction. The creators of the If you give a mouse book series was on The New York Times #1 Best seller. I think the intended age group is perk-kindergarten.

I love this book! It was one of my favorites in elementary school. The book is about a young boy who takes a mouse to the movies. The mouse then asks for popcorn. The mouse makes requests to the little boy for a Christmas tree and then to decorate it. And if you give a mou
Alicia
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
A cute holiday time tale about taking a mouse to the movies and what happens if you do so! Another story by Laura Joffe Numeroff to add to the collection!
Hannah
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun holiday book!
Kelly
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a huge fan of this series of books. But this one is written on a level that children will understand and enjoy. Illustrations are always good.
Cindy
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun read-aloud for Christmas Storytime. Kids made a fun "mouse ornament" following the stories.
  • Mooseltoe
  • Bear Stays Up for Christmas
  • Snowmen at Christmas
  • Olive, the Other Reindeer
  • Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas
  • Russell's Christmas Magic
  • Olivia Helps with Christmas
  • Merry Christmas, Curious George
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • The Hat
  • Llama Llama Holiday Drama
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!
  • Dooby Dooby Moo
  • Froggy's Baby Sister
  • Pete the Cat Saves Christmas
  • Skippyjon Jones in Mummy Trouble (Skippyjon Jones, #3)
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • Auntie Claus
Laura Joffe Numeroff is the New York Times bestselling author of author of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, Raising a Hero, and What Mommies/Daddies Do Best. She was born in Brooklyn, New York and graduated from Pratt Institute. Laura grew up as the youngest of three girls, surrounded by art, music, and books. An avid animal lover, Laura has always wanted to write a book about service dogs. She now ...more
More about Laura Joffe Numeroff...

If You Give... (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
  • If You Give a Moose a Muffin
  • If You Give a Pig a Pancake
  • If You Give a Pig a Party
  • If You Give a Cat a Cupcake
  • If You Give a Dog a Donut
  • Time for School, Mouse!
  • If You Give a Mouse a Brownie