Start by marking “Steal This Computer Book 4.0 – What They Won′t Tell You About the Internet 4e” as Want to Read:
Steal This Computer Book 4.0 – What They Won′t Tell You About the Internet 4e

Steal This Computer Book 4.0 – What They Won′t Tell You About the Internet 4e

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  181 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
If ever a book on cyberculture wore a fedora and trench coat and leaned against a lamppost on a foggy street, this is the one. It is an unabashed look at the dark side of the Net--the stuff many other books gloss over. It's hard-edged, wisecracking, and often quite cynical as it pours over the reality of online scams, illegal activities, and simple annoyances. Wang's state ...more
Published May 11th 2006 by No Starch Press (first published January 1st 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about Steal This Computer Book 4.0 – What They Won′t Tell You About the Internet 4e

Esteban del Mal
1/27/10: Have finally waded past the preface on this one. Don't know how seriously I can take a book that proposes the relative nature of truth and then slaps you with an Ayn Rand quote to make the point. I. Loathe. Objectivism.

***

Um, I have better things to do than finish this. Like huff glue.
Lucas Winther
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good and funnt information about the internet, but what is in this book is almost more a history lesson than an up to date information source.
Chris
Jan 31, 2010 added it
Recommends it for: Novice computer/Internet users with a passion to learn
I liked this book from a historical perspective. It gives a very nice overview of the history of hacking and how it has developed. While I had heard of or read most of the stories presented it was still a very enjoyable read from that point of view.

However once it got into modern hacking and how to protect yourself, it got out of its depth. Obviously no printed book can keep up with modern security exploits and vulnerabilities as they develop, so I can't really hold a grudge against it.

Despite
Martin Rose
Jul 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, tech
Informative for those looking for an overview on a variety of subjects . . . though talk to those far more advanced with computer tech, software, telephone systems, internet, and they'd probably use this book as a coaster for a coffee mug instead of reading material. Don't think this will provide you with any level of mastery, but for a writer like myself, it suffices . . .
Keith Seekwhence
Jun 13, 2009 rated it liked it
An overall informative and good read. This version is a combination of the first three editions after extreme censoring and editing but additionally brought up to date to continually expand on exploitations of the internet and the systems that run atop and behind it.
Chip Miller
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: technology
5,000 foot view of computer hacking.

Though most of the techniques are outdated, the book introduces you to various network architectures (most defiantly the books actual purpose). The book comes with a disk of various hacking/security software (fun for the whole family).
Jason Chaos
Oct 31, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: all
Okay I tried stealing this from borders but got caught shoplifting...WTF? nah, excellent book, tells you lots of stuff if you're a total idiot when it comes to computers...even refreshing for hacks and wannabe hacks.
P.W.
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Interesting, but pretty basic. If you actually work in the Computer Security industry this is mostly popcorn with a few "I'd never heard of that website before" nuggets thrown in.

If you *aren't* a Computer Security type person it's pretty eye-opening, if not kind of dated.
stephanie cat
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: computer people, anyone who wants to know more about the internet
Recommended to stephanie by: my dad (weird, I know...)
Shelves: favourites
An awesome book about hacking, cracking, and loads of other stuff! This book goes behind the scenes of the internet, down to all the stuff everyone won't tell you about. Wallace Wang delivers brilliant narrative, along with random stories. A great book for computer nerds like me!
Armando
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
A must read for everyone
  • No Tech Hacking: A Guide to Social Engineering, Dumpster Diving, and Shoulder Surfing
  • Fatal System Error: The Hunt for the New Crime Lords Who are Bringing Down the Internet
  • Counter Hack Reloaded: A Step-By-Step Guide to Computer Attacks and Effective Defenses
  • Gray Hat Hacking: The Ethical Hacker's Handbook
  • Silence on the Wire: A Field Guide to Passive Reconnaissance and Indirect Attacks
  • The Wikipedia Revolution: How a Bunch of Nobodies Created the World's Greatest Encyclopedia
  • Writing Secure Code
  • Stealing the Network: How to Own an Identity
  • Security Metrics: Replacing Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt
  • A Guide to LATEX: Document Preparation for Beginners and Advanced Users
  • Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide
  • Unauthorised Access: Physical Penetration Testing for It Security Teams
  • The Book of CSS3: A Developer's Guide to the Future of Web Design
  • Nightwork: A History of Hacks and Pranks at MIT
  • Beautiful Security: Leading Security Experts Explain How They Think (Theory In Practice, #28)
  • Spychips: How Major Corporations and Government Plan to Track Your Every Move with RFID
  • Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering
  • Stealing the Network: How to Own a Continent

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »