Start by marking “Poems - Edna St Vincent Millay (Everyman Library) ” as Want to Read:
Poems - Edna St Vincent Millay (Everyman Library)

Poems - Edna St Vincent Millay (Everyman Library)

4.4  ·  Rating details ·  482 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
One of America’s most beloved poets, Edna St. Vincent Millay burst onto the literary scene at a very young age and won the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry in 1923. Her passionate lyrics and superbly crafted sonnets have thrilled generations of readers long after the notoriously bohemian lifestyle she led in Greenwich Village in the 1920s ceased to shock them. Millay’s refreshing ...more
Published 2010 by Everyman's Library (first published January 1st 1923)

To ask other readers questions about Poems - Edna St Vincent Millay (Everyman Library), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems - Edna St Vincent Millay (Everyman Library)

Eve Kay
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some melancholy, some gay, some silly, some serious. An excellent collection by an amazingly talented lady who won my heart a few years ago when I came upon a poem by her and was swept off my feet.
Here are just a few snippets, I realize that there seems to be a theme in these but I seriously just picked some of my favourite lines or there.

"--People dress and go to town;
I sit in my chair.
All my thoughts are slow and brown:
Standing up or sitting down
Little matters, or what gown
Or what shoes I we
Ian
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edna St. Vincent Millay

It's hard to avoid superlatives.
Edna St. Vincent Millay is without any doubts one of America's greatest poets. Everyone should read her poetry...even people who don't read poetry will enjoy Millay.

Everyman's Pocket Poets

I have a few of Everyman's Pocket Poets collections. Rabbie Burns, Edgar Allen Poe, Yeats and of course Edna St. Vincent Millay. I love them. They are proper pocket editions (smaller than a Kindle) that you can take with you anywhere and they are attractiv
Brad Clacy
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Excellent selection of Millay's poetry.

Here's one of her quotes that I relate to: "I love humanity; but I hate people."

And one of her poems:

Sorrow

Sorrow like a ceaseless rain
Beats upon my heart.
People twist and scream in pain, -
Dawn will find them still again;
This has neither wax nor wane,
Neither stop nor start.

People dress and go to town;
I sit in my char.
All my thoughts are slow and brown:
Standing up or sitting down
Little matters, or what gown
Or what shoes I wear.
CaitlynK
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I walked past Millay's house in Greenwich Village over the summer, and diligently read the plaque, but forgot to then go read anything of hers. Remedying that in a Barnes & Noble, I was encouraged by an enthusiastic clerk, who said Millay is one of her favorite poets. I can see why, and will be finding more of her work in the future.

She also appears to have translated an edition of Baudelaire's Flowers of Evil, and that intrigues me.
Kelly
I Dreamed I Moved Among The Elysian Fields

I dreamed I moved among the Elysian fields,
In converse with sweet women long since dead;
And out of blossoms which that meadow yields
I wove a garland for your living head.
Danai, that was the vessel for a day
Of golden Jove, I saw, and at her side,
Whom Jove the Bull desired and bore away,
Europa stood, and the Swan's featherless bride.
All these were mortal women, yet all these
Above the ground had had a god for guest;
Freely I walked beside them and at ease,
Ad
Lyndsay Wheble
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amongst my favourite poetry ever.
electrickerrain
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My heart is what it was before,
A house where people come and go.
Gilda Pratt
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Possibly one of the greatest American poets who is tragically under rated. Millay is powerful and full of moving stanzas, that play off one another in insightful, beautiful ways.
Siobhán Mc Laughlin
A perfect compilation of Edna St Vincent Millay's best poems, which are beguiling and beautiful.
Kristin
This biography was my introduction to Millay, who is now one of my favorite writers.

The biography is quite an accomplishment, considering Milford had to reconstruct Millay's life under the eye of Norma, Millay's sister and guardian of all of Millay's papers. One gets the sense that there are huge omissions in the story that coincide with Norma's sense of propriety on her sister's behalf (she burned photos of Edna, for example, because they were nude photos and unbecoming for someone of Millay's
jordan
May 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Everyman’s Library Pocket Poets collection has a special place in my heart, and this collection //Edna St. Vincent Millay Poems// demonstrates all the reasons why. As the imprints name implies these are small sturdy volumes, uncluttered with essays, introductions, or annotations, instead offering readers the undiluted nectar of the poets own word. Thus one is spared lengthy biographical details of Millay (rich and ribald though it may be), and may focus on her work. Also included with the po ...more
Jessica
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(I actually read Volume 29 of New Adelphi Library, which is not on Goodreads and doesn't have an ISBN number. Originally published in 1927.) Along with Plath, Millay is another author that I've taken far too long to read. Her work is rhythmic and lyrical, and much of it is rooted in the natural world. She weaves themes of death and loss and longing into the core of her work. Millay utilizes myth and lore, expanding her own grief into the existing characters of ageless storytelling. The simplicit ...more
Ann Keller
May 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poetry lovers everywhere
Shelves: poetry
The poems of Edna St. Vincent Millay are as relevant today as they were in the past. This is a nice little collection of her work, ranging from sad verses attempting to capture the nightmare of a friend’s death to the wonders of nature. Her descriptions are heartfelt and sincere, allowing the reader to pause and ponder for a moment the wonder of the world in which she lived. Even now, her work lingers on in my memory, at times leaving me giddy with sudden happiness, melancholy and downtrodden or ...more
Jo Hamya
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so hit and miss that it really should have been three stars. Some of it did read a bit too hysterically. But the hits ('Here is a would that will never heal, I know'; Aria de Capo; and of course the ever famous 'First Fig' being among them) were so sublime it's a tragedy to give the overall work anything less than four stars.
Jinny
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Will forever be in love with this fantastic person, as she has given me the love for poetry, and the absolute need to exist in a beautiful world. She was, so many years ago, a rite of passage in my life.
Andy Chavez
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Millay can be a little melodramatic at times but when she gets it right, she gets it right . Her sonnets are where she really excels and selections like "I know I am but summer to your heart" and "I think I should have loved you presently" really hit home.
Frankie Brown
Vincent is perfect.

“The pathos of your love, that, like a flower,
fearful of death yet amorous of sleep,
droops for a moment and beholds, dismayed,
the wind whereon its petals shall be laid.”
Edel
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given this as a gift , and what a wonderful gift it was. This is a great collection of poems/sonnets containing popular poems such as Afternoon on a hill and City Trees. A wonderful book and a must read for any fans of this author/poet.
nicki
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Millay definitely has a lot of sass compared to other poets I have read. I like her spunk my favorite though remains first and second fig. They are short but straight to the heart of very complex matters.
Jonathan
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Fantastic poems, some might find a bit gloomy, but I think they are quite wonderful. Also a brilliant one-act play at the end which I would love to see.
Amanda
Jun 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Same as the last. Poetry was awesome, but not as awesome as hoping.
Kristal Mcclure
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She wrote brilliantly. I can feel her words.
James Violand
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone.
Shelves: own
One of my favorite poets. So different in her observations from the norm.
Galen
  • Killer Verse: Poems of Murder and Mayhem
  • Byron: Poems
  • The Collected Poems
  • Eliot: Poems
  • Hughes: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • The Best of Dorothy Parker
  • Plath: Poems
  • Poe: Poems
  • Rilke: Poems
  • Tennyson: Poems
  • New York Stories
  • Once
Edna St. Vincent Millay was an American lyrical poet and playwright. She received the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry in 1923, the third woman to win the award for poetry, and was also known for her feminist activism and her many love affairs. She used the pseudonym Nancy Boyd for her prose work.

This famous portrait of Vincent (as she was called by friends) was taken by Carl Van Vechten in 1933.
More about Edna St. Vincent Millay...
“Parrots, tortoises and redwoods live a longer life than men do; Men a longer life than dogs do; Dogs a longer life than love does.” 14 likes
“I felt his gaze, I heard his moan,
And knew his hunger as my own.”
5 likes