Start by marking “The Editor's Lexicon: Essential Writing Terms for Novelists” as Want to Read:
The Editor's Lexicon: Essential Writing Terms for Novelists

The Editor's Lexicon: Essential Writing Terms for Novelists

Become a revision-savvy writer with the help of The Editor's Lexicon: Essential Writing Terms for Novelists. It decodes, defines, and provides helpful examples of the editorial jargon used in writing workshops, critiques, and online forums. Written by an experienced editor and writing teacher, this dictionary-style reference book is a fundamental guide for writers across t ...more
Published April 15th 2010 by Glyd-Evans Press (first published February 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Editor's Lexicon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Editor's Lexicon

Jan
Sep 19, 2011 marked it as to-read
My fingers are crossed that I will be fortunate enough to win this book in Goodreads' Giveaway. I'm newly active at Goodreads although I joined sometime ago. I want to participate more fully by adding my reviews of books that I have read; however, I am always at a loss where to begin. Therefore, I generally only review books that I truly enjoyed (4 or 5 stars) or couldn't stand (one star). But how do I review a book that falls somewhere in the middle of my estimation?

After reading this book, I
Penny
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Editor's Lexicon: Essential Writing Terms for Novelists by Sarah Cypher is a must have for anyone who writes, edits and for readers too. I put this book on the same level as Strunk and White: Elements of Style.

The information in this book is presented clearly and each term has an example that demonstrates the use of the term in context of editor notes. I read it from cover to cover and will have it on my desk for future reference.
Carolyn Benton
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I won this book on Goodread. This book covers everything you need to either become an author or an editor. Precise in content and easy to comprehend. Cypher outlines each subject, then drills into specific terms relating to the subject. Cypher even includes some writting and sentence structures as examples.
Noura Noman
Jun 28, 2013 rated it liked it
It's pretty basic work. A list of all the words which could be used by an editor as he/she advises or criticizes a fictional text. As an author I found a few useful terms and examples.
Debbie
Oct 04, 2016
Leslie Gould
Sep 03, 2014
Sarah Cypher
Dec 17, 2010 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote
Chris
Plsultar
Vicki
Sep 16, 2011
Authors Discussio...: Anyone else struggling to upload an ebook? 13 151 Oct 13, 2011 03:53AM
A lot of people ask about Cypher. But really, I was born into a big family of Cyphers–and however 007 the name might sound, none of us is a spy. (I think.)

Actually I am book editor and mostly dauntless writer of fiction. Before going freelance in 2003, I served as an assistant editor for the Carnegie Mellon University Press in Pittsburgh, and graduated Phi Beta Kappa with a B.A. in Creative Writin