Start by marking “Cloud, Castle, Lake” as Want to Read:
Cloud, Castle, Lake

Cloud, Castle, Lake

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  193 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
A masterful novelist in both his native Russian and in English, Nabokov shocked a generation when Putnam, now a part of the Penguin group, published Lolita, the account of one man's longing for a very young girl in 1955. Stylish, intricate and sensuous, these five wickedly inventive stories are a rich combination of humour and horror: exploring questions of literature, lov ...more
Paperback, Pocket Penguin 70s #34, 56 pages
Published 2005 by Penguin Books

Daren
A collection of five short stories from The Stories of Vladimir Nabokov, published as a Penguin 70.

The five stories are loosely themed around Russians living abroad - Germany or America.

This book has a high star rating (just under 4), and perhaps this effected my expectations, because reviewers loved this!

These stories just didn't work for me. Some I just didn't understand the point of: A Russian Beauty, and Signs and Symbols. Some I found pointless or uninteresting: Cloud, Castle, Lake and The
Madhuri
Apr 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: russia, short-stories
Great stories. Specially the Admiralty Spire, which was hilarious and encompassed many ideas. Also loved Signs & Symbols, which is an open-ended story demanding completion by the reader. The expression of madness is so poetic in this one.
Cloud, castle lake is a Kafkaesque work, also reminded me of Coetzee's K., of a person misplaced in time and society.
Chitra Ratnaphongsa
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4 stars for Razor, The Admiralty Spires and The Russian Beauty.
5 stars for Cloud, Castle, Lake and Signs and Symbols.
Nabokov's stories always demand a little bit more keen attention and patience than usual, but you will be amply rewarded for it. These stories, I find, are playful and inventive in their composition, but ultimately they have no lack of heart, and if you would only be open to it, they will move you to your core and stay with you for a long, long time.
Coenraad
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Yet another instance where I have not read anything by a particular author before, and the Pocket Penguin highlights what I have missed. This set of five short stories demonstrates how Nabokov has mastered his second language, a rare feat for writers. Most of them focus on Russian emigrants, now living in Germany or the USA under diminished circumstances. Beautifully observed and worded.

Nabokov teken in hierdie verhale karakters wat - soos hyself - uit Rusland padgegee het. Ons is vandag in Suid
Natalie
Oct 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
The one thing Nabokov isn't particularly good at is providing hope. I love his shorts, but the best in this collection is undoubtedly the title story, "Castle, Cloud, Lake". I might have to go on lexapro now, but it's a great story.
Steve Mitchell
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Some great short stories from a true master
Joe Ringenberg
May 29, 2007 rated it it was ok
well *this* was a surprising disappointment. Better, however, for Nabokov to be the master of the novel rather than the master of the short story.
anna mae
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
this is my favorite story by nabokov, maybe by anyone
Mikimbizii
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
At the end of every "team-building" exercise I wind up feeling exactly as he felt. Thank you, Nabokov.
Eleanor Black
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Delightful collection of devourable literary shorts! Loved them.
Matt
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: miniature

Read this in The Atlantic a long time ago and it firmly but almost-imperceptibly tilted me towards getting into his work for real.
Yulya Cim
  • Through Siberia by Accident
  • Hotheads
  • The Great Winglebury Duel
  • Caligula
Russian: Владимир Владимирович Набоков .

Vladimir Vladimirovich Nabokov, also known by the pen name Vladimir Sirin, was a Russian-American novelist. Nabokov wrote his first nine novels in Russian, then rose to international prominence as a master English prose stylist. He also made significant contributions to lepidoptery and had an interest in chess problems.

Nabokov's Lolita (1955) is frequently
More about Vladimir Nabokov...