Start by marking “Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold” as Want to Read:
Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold

Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold

Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold is a story of family conflicts set in Colorado in 1885. Anne Wells has embarrassed her rigidly proper family since she was a child with occasional but grievous lapses from ladylike behavior. They blame those lapses for the disgraceful fact that she is a spinster at 28. Cord Bennett, the son of his father's second marriage to a Cheyenne woman, i ...more
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 418 pages
Published April 8th 2010

To ask other readers questions about Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold, please sign up.

Start your review of Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
STILL Better Every Time...
Re-read: 7/25/19
Re-read: 5/20/19
Re-read: 3/7/17
Re-read: 7/4/15

Review:

ALL the Stars

description

This book really took me by surprise.

Western/historical romance is one of my all time favorite genres, but I had never read or heard of this author before. I don't even remember what prompted me to read this, but it was just outstanding.

The writing and storytelling was fantastic aReview:
Bibi
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**Spoilers**

I discovered this little gem of a book from reviews by Danielle Lori and Val ⚓ Shameless & Bitchy Skanky ⚓ Steamy Reads Mrs. Danvers-Tate-Snow. Thanks, ladies.

Where to start with this book.

First off, I savoured the reading of Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold, prolonging the experience as much as I could. Secondly, everything I thought I knew about racial prejudice, this story amplified to a thousand degree.

Annie and Cord, our MCs. Annie is white and Cord is half Comanche, living
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
As he finally stopped fighting sleep, he wondered if maybe just occasionally the gods designed a woman fit for a king or a prince and then gave her to an ordinary man. Maybe they did such a thing once in a while, knowing an ordinary man would treasure her more, love her better. Maybe they even let him keep her — for a while.
Wow! Where to begin... well, I'll start with that quote. It's one of my favorite hero quotes from any book I've read, and in just a few sentences shows us Cord's hope and his heart.
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
Wow words can express how much I enjoyed this book. Anne and Cord were amazing together. I loved how strong and brave they both were. Anna had such a cute, outgoing personality. Cord was the strong silent type but had a sweet side that he mostly only let Anne see. There was such a great build up to their relationship that it felt real. I will say that I wished for more blood when it came to the bad guys getting what was coming to them. I felt they got off the hook to easy. But that is just me. I ...more
KAS
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Wish it weren’t so, but I am in the minority camp with my rating.

It has been a long time since I read a story set in the Wild West. Colorado, 1885, to be exact. I have been seeing five star reviews pop up on my feed for quite sometime.

Cord Bennett! The name just oozes confidence, strength, and sexiness.

"His daddy had brown eyes, but those eyes of his are yellow, yellow like a wolf's."

 "The color don't make no nevermind. What tells you he's the devil
/>
Sophia Triad
That was so awesome!

I was really wondering why all my friends in goodreads think that this is a very good book – especially because most of them do not share the same tastes in books and especially in romance books.

I think the main reason for the love for this particular book is that it is the book full of small satisfying victories.

Anne Wells and Cord Bennett have survived being different in a world of average people until they reached their late twenties.

Anne at this
Jill
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it

Not just a romance, but a love story, beautifully told

At twenty-eight Anne Wells should be too old to be running away from home. But her wealthy, controlling and abusive father wants her married, even if it is to a man as old and as mean as he is. After leaving home and sheltering from a storm in a barn overnight, Anne wakes up the next morning to a familiar pair of unusual, gold eyes watching her.

The long silence threatened to become awkward, so she ventured, "Good morning."
The
Danielle
Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold was completely unexpected. It’s one of those stories that touches your heart, and has you thinking about the characters for days to come.

I really didn’t think this author was gonna be able to pull it off, being that they both agree to a marriage and are amicable to each other before twenty percent, and this was a long book. I can’t stay invested in an everyday relationship—there has to be tension between the characters, not just plot-wise. But I was so wrong. I absolutely loved th
Vintage
I can not believe how much I loved this book. I mean REALLY loved it. I have had it on my Kindle since October but have pushed off reading it as the cover is a little cheesy, and some of the reviews implied it was very amateurish.

Eyes..is old school in the sense that is an old-fashioned romance with a capital R. No silly quirks, no gimmicks, no BDSM (not that I'm opposed to it), but just a story of the subtle and sweet development of love between two fun and honorable characters. Very character driven.
Alp
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m mentally kicking myself for taking too long to pick up this one. It was a very good and entertaining read! My feelings were all over the place, of course, in a good way. Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold is one of those books that will stay with you for a long time after you’ve finished reading them.

This was a story of two people from completely different worlds who were thrown together under terrible circumstances, but it turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to them. Th
Corina
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reads
Reread 2019 - no idea how often I've read this book - loving it as much as the first time....

And I should definitely write a review one of these days... lol
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I feel like I found a secret treasure... Book cover looks so simple but the story itself was so powerful and deep. I LOVED Cord & Annie's story very much. ❤❤❤

Long story short, this book is one of my favorites now and I highly recommend it to you. 😉

Baba
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others."
- by Peace Pilgrim – (American teacher and spiritual leader and peace prophet, 1908 – 1981)

"There is no love without forgiveness, and there is no forgiveness without love."
- by Bryant H. McGill –

********************************************************************
"His daddy had brown eyes, but those eyes of his are yellow, yellow like a wolf’s."
"The color do/>
"His
Deborah
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Re-read 23rd - 24th June 2018

This is one of my favourite reads ever. In the eight or so years since I first read this I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve returned to it.

When I originally read this I used to read historical romances exclusively. Now my reading tastes are wide open but this is still a classic and still one of my favourite books ever.

Anne Wells is twenty-eight year old spinster and her father has decided its past time she was married. Geo
Ridley
Jan 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'll admit upfront that I read this book in response to its regular, suspicious pimping on the Amazon romance boards. No book out there has all five-star reviews, at least not legitimate ones, but I'd have to read it to know for sure. Now that I have read it, I'll say that maybe some of those accolades are honest. If you don't pay attention to writing skill or mind too much telling or info dump, the plot is compelling enough that a pure plot reader could enjoy a book like this just fine.
Karla

5++ Stars! I could read this book a 100 times and this story would never get old!

Hero meets Heroine under harrowing circumstances and they stand united and committed to each other throughout the book no matter who or what gets in their way. No questions asked, always have each other's backs, soul mates through and through. Just beautiful! Made my heart swell!

That's it, in a nutshell. It met up to the hype, friend's recommendations, and exceeded my expectations!

Every time I think about th
Christina ~ Brunette Reader
3,5 Promising Stars

The first thought crossing my mind when I turned the last page of this book was the realisation I had just dealt with a rough diamond. It's a debut, so I think it has the natural right to be so in a sense and fortunately the lack of finishing did nothing to lessen the impact of a story vivid and powerful in its raw essentiality, like the love, the people, the land and the times it portrays.

Set in an 1885 Colorado still dominated by a blind and unapologetic white privi
KatLynne
5 Fantastic Stars

"Take him and cut him out in little stars. And he will make the face of heaven so fine - that all the world will be in love with night"...Shakespeare (Romeo & Juliet)

This book should come with a Warning alerting its victims that once started, you'll not want to stop until you've reached the very last page!

I was drawn to this book by a review written by one of my friends, Denise, and immediately purchased. However, I put off reading it for weeks because I wasn't a big fan of Western Hi/>"Take
Duchess Nicole
There simply aren't enough words for me to accurately describe how much I loved this book. I need extra stars!
After reading so many great prods, I finally started this last night. Aside from a bit of confusion by an odd writing style, it's actually really fabulous. Cord is one of those heroes with a secretive sort of past that is challenging to get to know. And all the while, you're hurting for him, wanting him to open up to Annie. The plot is fairly fast paced. The H/h meet each other on page
Mo
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it but not sure if I liked it as much as some of her other books that I have read. It sort of dragged toward the end... Rob, even at the end of the book, you can go fuck yourself! Wanker. Actually, her whole family can take a flying leap into oblivion!

The last orange streaks of the sunset shone through parlor windows as Anne started supper.

Too much strength could be a curse,
leaving a person unable to bend,
only break.

Anne looked like sunlight dancing on water ...

I adored Cord and Annie.
Kristiej
So this was my last book read for 2018 though I do have more to enter. I wanted to end with something very special. I stayed up until 2:30 am reading this one - and did it gladly. This is a book as already noted :-) I can read over and over and over and it never gets old and the love never lessens. It's still a 5+ stars and one of my top of all time reads. If you haven't read then you should, you really, really should

*****
This is another book that I recently read - yet again! I
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Romance fans, history buffs, action-adventure fans, fans of strong female leads
Oh, why did I finish this so quickly?! Why?!

I'm going to be vulgarly blunt, I fucking love Ellen O'Connell. Love her. Admittedly, these books might be just a teensy bit melodramatic, but these stories are some of the most engaging I've read in a very long time. I didn't think I'd like this one more than I liked her other two books. Ha! I think the only reason I might like Dancing on Coals more is because I absolutely adored Katherine Grant in that book. Don't get me wrong, Anne Wells is no shrinking violet, but
♡Karlyn P♡
3.5 stars. I may clean this review up, but for now here are my initial thoughts.

I thought it was pretty good overall. It ended with a really good finish, and the narrative voice that was bugging me early on in the book was greatly toned down during the last third of the book. (The first half or so of the book felt like I was watching a movie where the actors rarely spoke, instead it was mostly narrated from the authors POV. It was frustrating and pulled me out of the story repeatedly
NMmomof4
3.5 Stars

Overall Opinion: So many people have raving reviews about this! I'm glad I read it even if I didn't seem to love it quite as much as everyone else. I've never read a western type hr before, so this was something new to mix everything up in my tbr list. I found the characters to be really likable, and I was definitely rooting for their HEA. My issues are with the pacing (felt a little slow at times), Cord's brothers (hated them), and the ending (what WAS with that ending?!). Otherwise, I enj/>Overall
Dawn

Again I am the unpopluar reviewer.

What promised to be an intense Lorraine Heath-like western romance went downhill for me at about chapter 13.

Instead of giving a summary which is already provided by others, I'm going to list what I didn't like.

1. The writing was all tell no show.
2. Long strecthes of unnecessary descriptions of horses and gardening. I mean chapter upon chapter about it.
3. The romance was lacking to non-existant. There was no build u
Mimi Smith
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
-Leo Tolstoy

This was a truly unique and lovely story. But as much as it was a love story, it was a social story even more. The romance between Anne and Cord(which I LOVED) took a back burner to the family drama that was just a bit too much.

Clan Wells-racism, bullying and, in the end, sadistic tendencies

Her father a bully, her brother a sycophant and her mother not brave enough to stand up agains/>Clan/>Happy
Bev
This book had everything I need to make the perfect read, and it had it in spades. I adored both Anne and Cord, two strong, resilient, determined, ADULT characters. No unnecessary drama, no ex drama, no childish hissy fits, but instead a slow burn romance that was paced to perfection, a gorgeous love story, and even Frank and Ephraim's preconceived and judgemental views on Cord couldn't detract from the fabulousness that is this book.

I got it as part of my KU subscription but loved i
Carol
5++++stars.
This book was reviewed by a goodreads friend and had I not come across this review I would have missed out on this gem of a book that I am still thinking about 2 days and 1 book later. So thank you Val. This is the first historical romance that I have ever read being more of a contemporary sort of gal but this book has opened my eyes to new pastures.
The writing and story are beyond beautiful and it was compelling reading. This is an immediate favorite and future reread for me.
Lorraine Lesar
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yes, I read a m/f romance. Yes, I loved it. Yes, it’s a 5* read. Yes, Deborah I agree (and also that you got dibs on licking rights 😉). And yes Bev, I agree with everything you said as well. Yes Bestie, it is emotionally satisfying. Yes Aznwolv, I see that’s it is on your TBr List....read it 😁.
Mei
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
This author is a GENIUS!!!!
I didn't like this book - I LOVED IT!!!
I loved the way words flow, how the little quips were inserted in the story, the way every single thing was explained, the way the love story was born and grew...
I loved Anne: her strenght, her courage, her enthusiasm, her optimims. She embodies the saying that works makes a man (or in this case the woman) free! I loved that she isn't afraid of hard work, that she took care of Cord when he was injured, that she defended him against e

• Silver Lining
  • The Promise of Jenny Jones
  • The Texan's Wager (Wife Lottery, #1)
  • Annie's Song
  • Morning Glory
  • His Secondhand Wife (The Copper Creek Brides #2)
  • Courting Miss Hattie
  • Comanche Moon (Comanche, #1)
  • Texas Destiny (Texas Trilogy, #1)
  • Texas Glory (Texas Trilogy, #2)
  • Simple Jess (Marrying Stone, #2)
  • When a Texan Gambles (Wife Lottery, #2)
  • Ride the Fire (Blakewell/Kenleigh Family Trilogy, #3)
  • Always to Remember
  • A Texan's Luck (Wife Lottery, #3)
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Cherish
  • Texas Splendor (Texas Trilogy, #3)
“...he wondered if maybe just occasionally the gods designed a woman fit for a king or a prince and then gave her to an ordinary man. Maybe they did such a thing once in a while, knowing an ordinary man would treasure her more, love her better. Maybe they even let him keep her - for a while.” 89 likes
“You know, Annie, a long time ago an old man told me beauty doesn't mean much in a woman. It disappears with age. But he said some women have something better. They have a special glow that lasts all their life and just gets richer. You're like that. You really shine.” 55 likes