Start by marking “The Radix” as Want to Read:
The Radix

The Radix

(John Brynstone #1)

For centuries, the Radix existed in rumor and secrecy. Saints whispered its legend. Alchemists craved its power. Armies fought and died to possess it. Five hundred years ago, it vanished from the earth. History's greatest mystery, lost to the ages.

Until now.

The Radix tells the story of a legendary relic thought to possess extraordinary powers. Paleopathologist and elite go
Published (first published April 24th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Radix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Radix

Start your review of The Radix
Suspense Magazine
John Brynstone, an agent for the US Special Collection Service, has been assigned to attain the Radix, an ancient relic with mystical powers. Because of these powers, there are numerous persons and groups vying to possess it.

Billed as a historical mystery, “The Radix” comes across much more as a thriller and you will be hard-pressed to put this book down. This is Brett King’s debut novel which he deftly combines fiction with historical facts and events. He admits in the author’s note at the end
Michael V
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Looking forward to the next novelbin the series.

A great read you will not be disappointed especially if you enjoy your novels sprinkled with interesting historical persons places and events
Carly
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: owned
A well-written, action-packed, engaging novel! I really enjoyed reading this book. I must caution that I have some bias here as King was one of my favorite professors and he does sprinkle in some easter eggs about his colleague, Joe Berta, and that one eyed cat Berta loved so much (which I savored). That being said, this novel is a super fun read even for those unfamiliar with Brett King.
Jen Harris
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick and easy to read with lots of historical fiction artifact finding. The characters were well developed but I still guessed the twists. It ended perfectly for the next book in the series which I will start today.
Gil
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent work of fiction

The Radix is an excellent work of fiction and I was compelled to read it. This work reminds of similar writings like the da Vinci code. Enjoy!
maria seilius
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Raiders of the Lost Ark , The Da Vinci Code , James Bond all rolled into one here . Enjoyable storyline just a bit over the top .
ZaBeth  Marsh
May 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: michelle
Recommended to ZaBeth by: rt2010
This book reads like it is ready to go straight to a movie screen. If you like James Bond meets Da Vinci Code than this is the book for you.

There is a twisted who dun-it type plot where everyone is in search of the mythical root from the Tree of Life called the Radix. It is said to make the perfect medicine. More people have reason to want this than are listed in a New York phone book and it is just as difficult to determine good from evil in this book than to find the correct Jane Smith the sai
Jim
Feb 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairly early in the book our hero is chased out of a mountain estate, yet has time to start a helicopter and escape in it. One of his antagonists, who he had just knocked unconscious before fleeing, grabs the helicopter skids and shoots a hole in the gas tank before being safely brushed off by skimming over pine trees. So our hero crashes the helicopter, carefully affording a ski top restaurant, but unfortunately starting an avalanche and cutting the cable to the gondola. Fortunately, only the o ...more
Liz Terek
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although 'The Radix' is a work of fiction, there is an incredible amount of factual history mixed in. Thankfully, Brett King includes a note at the book's end to explain which is which.

John is a true hero, a man's man. His dedication to his family is intense- to a fault. The string of additional heroes & villains is lengthy. Every major religion & myth is discussed to some extent. Brett King is respectful to each. There isn't any complaint there. Even the characters themselves have a P.C. dialo
James
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have some bias toward this book, as it was penned by my uncle-in-law. Putting that aside, it really was a great story. From the start is is packed with suspense, action, and intrigue. Being the work of a psychology professor, there is a good amount of history strewn about, as well as plenty of mind games and twisting plots.

Part of my bias is based on my knowing that the author has been writing this for nearly ten years, and spend a good deal of time trying to break entry into publication. Thi
Oni
Oct 31, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Radix is an easy read. You can finish it in one sitting. It is about a US Agent, trying to hunt down a relic with supernatural power, the Radix. In his mission, he is going to face many challenges, from his enemies and also his friends. Overall it is a classic thriller-chased Hollywood action.

The good thing about this book is that it doesn't try to exaggerate. It is written simply to entertain, and it does. It does not pretend to be the next great thing (like many other books, and failed). The a
Doris
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WOW!

If I could give it ten stars, I would. Fast paced, action packed thriller, with a mystery that goes back 500 years. The first chapter will grab hold of you, and won't let go. Intelligently written, and thanks to the auto look-up features on Kindle, (worth taking the time to look deeper into certain things) I was able to learn a few things while reading this highly entertaining novel. Best book I've read in a long time. Would love to see this one made into a movie.
Alex
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a bit biased because I love the author, as anyone who's taken his class will say. The story is very interesting, the twists are great, and the historical details/inside jokes?(I guess that's what I'll call them) are awesome & hilarious. That said, the actual writing left a little to be desired (though I'd put it roughly on par w/ Dan Brown). 4/5 stars. ...more
Marie
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Radix was a great action thriller to read from a first-time author. The Radix is a medicinal plant that was thought to have become extinct centuries ago. A difficult mission turns out even more difficult than expected as the **real** purpose has been shrouded in lies. Add in the cross-purposes by other parties, and this is a non-stop adventure. You WILL have trouble putting this book down.
Matt
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
very fun read, similar to Dan Brown (mixing fact with fiction, secret societies, crypto scavenger hunts) but not quite as well written. i picked it up for $1 on a Kindle sale and i'm glad that i did. it kept getting better as it went along, really picking up steam at around page 100 or so. the end was left wide open for a sequel, and if he writes one, i'll be reading it.
Denise Johnson
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
A combination of "James Bond" action and "National Treasure" mystery

The book was pretty well written. A nice mixture of impossible action with treasure seeking clues. There was quite a bit of jumping between characters which could lose you if you don't pay attention. All in all, not bad.
Erin
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love these kinds of books where it involves lost treasures and religious mysteries. If you like Dan Brown books, you will love this one. I think I was some kind of archeologist or code breaker in a former life!
shelly gridley
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Radix

exciting novel.gripping tale.could not put down. would recommend to anyone who liked the Robert Langdon books or Indiana Jones movies .some interesting theories about certain symbol.
Sonia Hernandez
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was very surprise i was going to enjoy this story. The story has actual historical figures in the back story, but with a twist. the story carries itself very well, with a bit of adventure, suspense, and sci fi. I'm looking forward to reading another book by Brett King.
Samyuktha Ell
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, this book! For all its plot twists and turns and mix of fact and fiction, The Radix is a book I am grateful to have stumbled upon. And now, I just HAVE to go visit the Notre Dame. And explore the place for myself. Incredible writing by Brett King.
Luannharrah
Am reading now, can't put it down. A great book.Feels like 8 am right there with them living the story.
Paula Howard
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good twist of mystery, espionage, historical fiction and religion.
D Nine
Mar 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would love to see it as a movie! Written with great detail, my imagination didn't have to work to visualize nor feel the suspense. Great book. Where is book 2?
Kerry Stewart
Ally's professor wrote this book!
M.
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book! There was lots of action and history. Sometimes the dialog was a bit bogged down by too much information, but it was overall a fun read.
Jennifer Robertson
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good book

Very good read. I just could not put it down until I got to the end. If you like the Da Vinci Code, you'll like this.
Laura J
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book kept my interest. Well written story line.
Anastasia
Sep 15, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Way too James Rollins wannabe. it just didn't grab me at all.
Tracey Hasabag
Jul 24, 2011 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Just read the cover and it looks very promising. I'll keep you posted.
Janie Hetherington
i know the author and he is a terrific, smart guy! this book is similar to The Da Vinci Code

• Blindside (Michael Bennett, #12)
  • The Last Dance (The Near-Earth Mysteries, #1)
  • Lost
  • Blood Lines (D.I. Kim Stone, #5)
  • Dead Memories (D.I. Kim Stone, #10)
  • Hindsight (Kendra Michaels, #7)
  • The Relic Hunters (The Relic Hunters #1)
  • How to Take Charge of Your Life: The User’s Guide to NLP
  • The Templar Curse (Sean Wyatt #15)
  • Cinnamon Skin (Travis McGee #20)
  • The Uluru Code (Sean Wyatt #10)
  • Shield (Men of Hidden Creek - Season 1, #2)
  • Chaos Quarter (Chaos Quarter #1)
  • Mettle (Men of Hidden Creek - Season 3, #4)
  • War at the Edge of the World (Twilight of Empire, #1)
  • The Duality Paradigm (Blood and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Melody (Men of Hidden Creek - Season 3, #5)
  • Dead Wrong (Blackmoore Sisters, #1)

John Brynstone (2 books)
  • The False Door (John Brynstone #2)

News & Interviews

“I know that there are numberless people who would, to satisfy a whim, destroy God and all the universe.” 2 likes
“That looked like an intense little conversation,” she said. “Who called?” “President of the United States,” he answered, starting the engine. “Okay, fine,” Cori sighed. “Don’t tell me.” 0 likes